• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Bring “One of their Bigger Games” To Nintendo Switch

Schlorgan

Unravel? I think pretty much every EA game uses Frostbite.

Their other sports games (UFC, Madden, NHL, NBA LIVE) use Ignite.

Tantalus has worked with EA on the Mass Effect 3 port. They teased they are working on a port, so it might be Andromeda. Testing a simultaneous release would be a better indicator of the market than late ports, which is the only thing EA did on the Wii U.

The Wii U port of Mass Effect 3 was done by Straight Right, not Tantalus. Straight Right also did the Wii U port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Spinoff90

Well of course they will. They will release FIFA and then they will abandon it like their usual Nintendo "support".

They are all going Frostbite with FIFA just being the first. NBA Live is still supposedly coming early next year so maybe that will be the second. Then NHL 18 and Madden 18 third posdibly. Then maybe a UFC 3 in spring of 2018 completing the full transition.

18-Volt

Haven't EA dissolved the team that made FIFA ports to Wii u/3DS/Vita? I don't think it's FIFA.

And it's not Plants vs Zombies either, that game is online only, wouldn't work well on half portable system like Switch.

It's either Battlefield or Battlefront late port. My money is on Battlefront.

nampad

It will be a Fifa without some features of the PS4/Xbone version, which will then fail and be repackaged as legacy editions for 2 years.

Malakai

I suspect it will be a bare-bones version of FIFA, which they will then re-release every year with an updated roster.

It's unrealistic to expect EA to be able to port all of their games to such a relatively underpowered device.

How is it "underpowered"? You have the final specs?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Mass Effect Andromeda would be a good title, its a pseudo-reboot/spinoff making it the perfect title to have ready for the launch window. Focus on how its a brand new adventure with brand new characters and planets.

FIFA is expected, people would eat that up for multiplayer on the go EA would be foolish to not bring their sports titles to Switch.

The Wii U port of Mass Effect 3 was done by Straight Right, not Tantalus. Straight Right also did the Wii U port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Unless I'm wrong, Straight Right is Tantalus. It's the brand name they use for Mature titles or something like that.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Probably FIFA. Even the Switch is powerful to run it at 1080p 60 FPS, and will probably sell well. FIFA even had kate releases for PS2 and Vita.

LordRaptor

It's still a very traditional (mostly) multiplayer shooter. The first one was not even a great shooter in my experience. The shooter market is still huge enough to drive those sales.
How Star Wars fans who don't like shooters do you think are buying Battlefront?

That's why I'm asking you if you think it is a game selling on the Star Wars licence or on being a by the book (and ultimately shallow) shooter experience.
Because I can point to plenty of shooters on "the shooter platforms" that have bombed where Battlefront didn't, some made by EA themselves. Suggesting that "the shooter market" isn't large enough to drive those sales.

If its selling on the strength of the Star Wars property, not "to shooter fans", then it is literally impossible to state as a fact potential Switch owners "aren't the market"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fifa wasn't a late port. It couldn't have released earlier because there was no Wii U earlier. The same with FIFA on PS4 and Xbone at launch who was also "late" by that standard.

NFS was a remaster practically. People bought remasters on PS4 and Xbone. Even even only 9 months after the original game.

Yes, EA also did some dumb moves, like Mass Effect port, but there was also no market for their games on Wii U. EA didn't blame anybody. EA analysed the situation and took appropriate action.

It's a port released months after the game was released on competing consoles. How is that not a late port?

Nintendo screwed up nearly everything about the Wii U's existence. I just cannot see how EA gave them a fair shake here. Those games were sent to die.

thefro

Haven't EA dissolved the team that made FIFA ports to Wii u/3DS/Vita? I don't think it's FIFA.

And it's not Plants vs Zombies either, that game is online only, wouldn't work well on half portable system like Switch.

It's either Battlefield or Battlefront late port. My money is on Battlefront.

Switch presumably can run Frostbite, ergo they don't need a huge team to port anything on that engine over.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's a port released months after the game was released on competing consoles. How is that not a late port?

Nintendo screwed up nearly everything about the Wii U's existence. I just cannot see how EA gave them a fair shake here. Those games were sent to die.

Lets also not forget that while WiiU got Mass Effect 3 for $60, PS3/360 were getting the entire Mass Effect trilogy for the same price around the same time.

Schlorgan

Unless I'm wrong, Straight Right is Tantalus. It's the brand name they use for Mature titles or something like that.

Ah. The Straight Right site lists only four games (NFS Shift 2 iOS, Mass Effect 3 Wii U, Deus Ex Wii U and Zombi XONE/PS4/PC). The Tantalus site doesn't list any of those, but the last three are shown in the "Tantalus 20 Year Anniversary" video.

It's probably gonna be FIFA. Will sell like crap as the sports sim audience is elsewhere.

Also, I a rumour that the game could be called Unprecedented Partnership 2: Ho Ho Ho.

Anth0ny

FIFA is expected, people would eat that up for multiplayer on the go EA would be foolish to not bring their sports titles to Switch.

If they get FIFA, it should be all over their marketing.

I know my group of friends would have KILLED to have a portable console that let them play games like FIFA or COD at school, during lunch or recess or whatever. Could be a decent selling point.

ika

I hope it's a new Star Wars game, because I'm not interested in sports, but FIFA is more probable...

spekkeh

Banned
Have to admit, being able to play a few bouts of full quality FIFA during my commute would be pretty epic. I'd rather get PES, and I wouldn't be surprised if the average Nintendo gamer would, but if they don't port that, FIFA it is.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Wouldn't all 3rd party games on Switch launch fit the same very strict description because it releases in March and all the big guns have released prior? Will the very picky Nintendo audience cut off their nose to spit the face once again?

If they get FIFA, it should be all over their marketing.

I know my group of friends would have KILLED to have a portable console that let them play games like FIFA or COD at school, during lunch or recess or whatever. Could be a decent selling point.
Didn't Vita have a console like FIFA? Fat lot of good that did.

Doctre81

Nah It's not Fifa. But Fifa is one of the games. He also said one of the games they are involved in. Meaning EA themselves is probably not the developer. It's gonna be something like BF1 with added DLC or Mass Effect or something along those lines.

Wouldn't all 3rd party games on Switch launch fit the same very strict description because it releases in March and all the big guns have released prior? Will the very picky Nintendo audience cut off their nose to spit the face once again?
Not only this, but the Nintendo audience is small...and the Nintendo audience that's willing to even consider the third party titles we're talking about is even smaller and will look up all the info on it. Shit ports won't work for them, and rightly so. So is it even worth these publishers trying to cater/pull a fast one with this tiny group of people at all? I don't think so. Unless they're developing the type of games that may appeal, e.g. Platformer.

AntMurda

Nah It's not Fifa. But Fifa is one of the games. He also said one of the games they are involved in. Meaning EA themselves is probably not the developer. It's gonna be something like BF1 with added DLC or Mass Effect or something along those lines.

That's a weird way to read that. It can be any game from EA really.

Top Bottom