• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earliest first person games that were "full screen?"

Orayn

I'm currently having a discussion with a friend about which game was the first to fill an entire screen with a first person camera view, rather than limiting it to a window. The example he used was Ultima Underworld vs. Thief.

VyyjyLT.jpg

3XWpET5.jpg

Thief still has a HUD, of course, but it's integrated into camera's view instead of surrounding it.

Obviously this can be broken into several different categories: Really old wireframe 3D stuff, the various types of 2.5D and pseudo-3D, and full 3D with texture mapping.

The earliest we could come up with in the polygonal 3D category was the original King's Field, which was first released in December 1994.

GT08dQO.jpg

Any thoughts, GAF?

Orayn

Phantasy Star's dungeons are first person and full screen, but probably not what you're talking about.

I was about to comment about how Phantasy Star wasn't even that far along among dungeon crawlers, but you might be onto something. It's certainly not as advanced as something like Dungeon Master, but it does have UI elements that sit on top of the first person view rather than going around it.

dOUzU1W.jpg

vs.

Rgqxnll.png

Aaron D.

I've got the fondest memories for AD&D Treasure of Tarmin for Intellivision.

It's the earliest first-person dungeon crawler I remember playing.

Krejlooc

Banned
I was about to comment about how Phantasy Star wasn't even that far along among dungeon crawlers, but you might be onto something. It's certainly not as advanced as something like Dungeon Master, but it does have UI elements that sit on top of the first person view rather than going around it.

dOUzU1W.jpg

vs.

Rgqxnll.png

Thats only in battle. When wandering around, it's full screen, no UI at all:

ySaVoFo.png

Its also free roaming.

EDIT: Although wizardry definitely predates it, and Yuji Naka and crew freely admit they were inspired by Wizardry. Couldn't remember if Wizardry had a hud or not, guess not.

Well, in terms of Wireframe, you have Akalabeth (1979), brought to you by Lord British himself.

Akalabeth11.png

There are various interviews of him talking about using trig to draw the 3d corridors.

Orayn

I've got the fondest memories for AD&D Treasure of Tarmin for Intellivision.

It's the earliest first-person dungeon crawler I remember playing.

Also a very interesting example. It's "boxed" in, but you could kinda-sorta consider it a diegetic HUD if that's supposed to be the inside of a helmet.

3YjtjVm.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Well, in terms of Wireframe, you have Akalabeth (1979), brought to you by Lord British himself.

Akalabeth11.png

There are various interviews of him talking about using trig to draw the 3d corridors.

Thats amazing. I love Lord British, he went to my highschool (and university, where he occasionally teaches).

Orayn

Akalabeth11.png

I'm watching a video now and it looks like the text elements are drawn in a section on the bottom of the screen that's never occupied by anything else, but having just a bar rather than a whole border would put it in the same category as Quake and Doom.

Dungeon of Daggorath did roughly the same thing.

pHwWzWP.png

Notable for going "HUDless" in the sense that you had no numerical health indicator, just an audio/visual "heartbeat" that indicated how close to death you were.

Raistlin

The earliest we could come up with in the polygonal 3D category was the original King's Field, which was first released in December 1994.

GT08dQO.jpg

Any thoughts, GAF?
Did Jumping Flash predate it?

I know I got them around the same time.

Necroth

Neo Member
Well, one of the first polygonal 3D first person games that was not in a window for normal play was Star Cruiser for the Sharp X68000 computer. I'm not sure if this is the earliest, but its April 1989 release date makes it one of the first.

Well, one of the first polygonal 3D first person games that was not in a window for normal play was Star Cruiser for the Sharp X68000 computer. I'm not sure if this is the earliest, but its April 1989 release date makes it one of the first.
Didn't expect to be one-upped on this thread, but yes, Star Cruiser's one of the first. For that matter, it successfully combined spaceflight with dungeon crawling and early FPS-like gaming.

Pimpbaa

On PC, it's Wolfenstein 3D probably (except for the HUD at the bottom.)

The large hud makes it not full screen. It's not even the first windowed game with a first person view on pc, and hell not even id software's first (Catacomb 3D was already mentioned in the thread, and there is also Hovertank 3D before that).

Top Bottom