• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access for Premium Edition Customers is Brilliant

Is everyone going to copy this?

• No

• Yes

• Some

Results are only viewable after voting.
Giving first dibs to Premium/Ultimate/Deluxe buyers is brilliant.

Will charging more so you have access to a game day one going to be copied by everyone? I can see FIFA and COD “following” this model ASAP. (LOL 🚨 EA/Activision LOL🚨) My friend hasnt missed a COD launch in his life. And always will pay to get in the Beta.

Dso7chG.jpg
Sony is the creator of the trend. Nobody Panic! With Microsoft new model of having games “day one” on gamepass, then charging for early access, maybe finally PSNow will get “day one” games. LOOPHOLE.
I think they have been doing this for years at this point. Pretty sure gears 5 did.

Release Date: The official release date for Gears of War 5 is September 10, 2019. That’s a little tricky, however, because a huge number of players are going to be able to dive in early. If you’ve pre-ordered the game or subscribe to Microsoft Game Pass Ultimate, you’ll be able to start playing at 9:00 PM local time on September 5.

Microsoft charging to play online was smart. Sony giving games away to be able to charge to play online was even smarter.

Advertising Gamepass as having Day One releases. Then making “early access” exclusively to digital deluxes is 3000IQ.

I personally like the strategy. Companies get to charge more. Customers just have to wait a week. Thats why I call it brilliant. That being said nothing irks me more than renaming DAY ONE, as EARLY ACCESS. And everyone that disagrees with this needs to get slapped. Im fine with DAY NEGATIVE SEVEN.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think they have been doing this for years at this point. Pretty sure gears 5 did.
Yeah games have done this before and if it doesn't give any competitive advantage I don't have a problem with it.

I don't want to buy a standard edition of say Call of Duty and on launch day see people running around with maxed out perks and weapons because they played for a week already

I can't belive people really pay extra just to play one week early lol.

And also, I'm not sure if this post is supposed to be satire or not... but charging to play online is stupid and one of the reasons that made me leave my PS5 for a PC.

Its not paying to play early.

I paid for all the DLC and car packs up front and get a few days extra to play as bonus

Last edited:

Certinty

It’s genius for launch Game Pass titles where the upgrade is relatively cheap and comes with other content people want.

Which is why it worked so well with Forza Horizon 5. A similar thing would work wonders on other big Microsoft first party games too which is what I fully expect moving onwards.

McCheese

What's more important is who cares, just wait while the suckers pay extra for that week.

In multiplayer games, you could end up with a disadvantage. I think it's bullshit, I pay £15 a month but don't touch a lot of the other "free" games so it has me considering cancelling gamepass and just buying the premium editions of the 2-3 games a year I care about so I don't miss the proper release date.

They are trying to have their cake (subscriptions) and eat it (fomo you into paying £40 anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone I know would buy the deluxe version of Call of Duty just to play it day one with the “squad”.

I would have bought deluxe versions of TLOU2 and GOW to play it day one. Microsoft tested the waters, I wonder if Sony would follow suit. I think its brilliant, profit wise. No harm no foul. You cant really cry about it, cause you can just say.. just wait a week.

The_Verecocha

Neo Member
Shock horror…people prepared to pay for something they want…another shock horror some people aren’t…

Though those with a problem with it, seriously? How about you literally pay your money and you make your choice, don’t have a problem with those deciding to spend money when it’s got naff all to do with you.

I’ve no problem with the practice, did it with Gears, Forza and I’ll do the same with Halo. Something comes out that I’m not that interested in, guess what? I won’t! If it gives me a way to get my hands on something I want sooner then great, why would anyone have a problem with that?

CheeseCake

Yeah games have done this before and if it doesn't give any competitive advantage I don't have a problem with it.

I don't want to buy a standard edition of say Call of Duty and on launch day see people running around with maxed out perks and weapons because they played for a week already

Its not paying to play early.

I paid for all the DLC and car packs up front and get a few days extra to play as bonus

OH, so the few days ARE a bonus.

elliot5

This only really works if you have a game with substantial DLC/packages to sell to tie to early release. Straight up selling early access is shit tier and would be a hard sell. The reason why the premium edition of Forza sells like hotcakes is more because of the known value (historically) of the DLC content. The early access is a lil bonus for these dedicated fans.

And also, I'm not sure if this post is supposed to be satire or not... but charging to play online is stupid and one of the reasons that made me leave my PS5 for a PC.
Yea but you aren’t simply paying for online. You are getting a bunch of games each month as well and sometimes discounts for preordering games as well

xHunter

Giving first dibs to Premium/Ultimate/Deluxe buyers is Xbox Live brilliant.

Will charging more so you have access to a game day one going to be copied by everyone? I can see FIFA and COD following this model ASAP. My friend hasnt missed a COD launch in his life.

Charging to play online was smart. Sony giving games away to be able to charge to play online was even smarter. This move is the smartest.
Fifa has been doing this for a few years now. This business model is nothing new.

MastAndo

Gold Member
I can see how some might object to such a business practice, but I also see why Microsoft/Forza is given a "pass" in squeezing the consumer where other companies might not. FH5 was as close to a known commodity as an unreleased game can get. While I love the game, it's very much FH4 in a location with improved visual and some gameplay tweaks. We all knew what we were getting, and it's glorious. The game also constantly showers you with credits and cars, making microtransactions feel optional.

You compare that with a game like NBA2K and you start to see real sleaziness. MyCareer mode, despite its popularity, is plain old not fun unless you spend real money on overpriced virtual currency to level your player up. You start at such a low level, you would think your unathletic ass was actually in the game playing against souped-up College and G-League players. You won't be having any fun until you pump some dough into your player to bring his level up, and the grind is so slow and costly otherwise. Plus, you can't respec, so you're starting from scratch with any new build, and have to repurchase animations to boot. I dig the game since the actual gameplay is fun, but it's just a dirty experience. Forza just isn't like that, which is why it isn't talked about in the same way. You can wait a few days, and your experience won't be hurt by not splurging for the premium add-on.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Lots of companies already do this. Just off the top of my head EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Codemaster do it. There are other too.
And its not delaying the release, its a few days early access for he people that bought the premium edition. Just a little bonus for going the extra mile.

I dont know why suddenly this is a big deal now Microsoft have done it.

Last edited:

Well I mean this from the perspective of a company, I would buy GOW2 and Horizon day one no matter what. Forcing me to buy the deluxe version, thats easy money.

Charging online by Microsoft is brilliant cause they succeeded. Sony trying not to be “evil” added games with the package making it seem like a fair compromise. Which was a brilliant move. They succeeded.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Time is money. Similar to how people transitioned to digital downloads so they dont have to swap out a disc in 10 seconds, people are willing to pay money for early access.

With MS games being on GP, most people will wait for the standard version, but MS can make some money on early gamers too selling premium editions.

Win win. MS makes some money off DLC editions and some gamers play early.

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m fine with it. You get the most content complete version and a few days early access as an added bonus. Seems a lot of people are good with it too looking at the player count.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
. . .remember when SQUARE ENIX was dragged mercilessly here and elsehwere, lead in part by Jim Sterling, over "Augment Your Gaming" which had an early release unlocked (for everyone) if enough people pre-ordered? Yeah neither do I. Go MS!

FrankWza

Standard version for “day one” access.

GOTY version for “very late access”.
Well you can still buy the higher edition later. It was just a bonus for people who know they are going to continue playing the game and would benefit from the dlc. It was a no-brainer to get early. No excuse not to since you get to play more than a full weekend early and you get to show support to devs. The reviews were already out too.

JLB

Banned
Giving first dibs to Premium/Ultimate/Deluxe buyers is Xbox Live brilliant.

Will charging more so you have access to a game day one going to be copied by everyone? I can see FIFA and COD following this model ASAP. My friend hasnt missed a COD launch in his life.

Charging to play online was smart. Sony giving games away to be able to charge to play online was even smarter. This move is the smartest.

I guess you havent played fifa for a decade.

I guess you havent played fifa for a decade.
Nope. Ill play Winning Eleven on PS1 if I have an itch. One would assume EA and Activision does this.

Im more curious if Sony and others will follow. Like others with Halo, I would easily pay extra so others play GOW a week later.

Stuart360

Kinda sucks to know you'll be getting the game late if you don't pay up extra, but wouldn't be surprised if this catches on.
Not getting the game early if you dont but the premium edition is what you mean. The 9th has always been the official release date for like 8 months or something.

Aenima

Its a strategy to use FOMO to milk some extra money. Harmless for single player games. But can be unfair "Pay to Win" when done in multiplayer games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No it’s not brilliant it’s pretty bad exploitation but it’s also a good lesson in patience for kids.

I do however see everyone copying it from EA the real originators of such things.

FrankWza

No it’s not brilliant it’s pretty bad exploitation but it’s also a good lesson in patience for kids.

I do however see everyone copying it from EA the real originators of such things.
Why though? You’re getting dlc when it releases. It has value.

This isn't a gun-to-head issue. If you don't like this practice, then don't support it. Simple. If you're fine essentially being a beta tester as a "reward" for getting the premium version before the game officially launches, great. I've been an especially happy beta tester for a couple days now and I get all the content I paid for when it releases on top of that. Getting to play early didn't cost more than that content.

In any case, vote with your wallet. Preaching to others and trying to convince them to take up your point of view won't change anything.

I bought the standard version, and can wait until Tuesday for the release. Most of the premium add-on isn't even available at launch. I'll play the standard version until the premium add-on goes on sale.
Seems like a suckers deal to pay extra to play a few days earlier.

Top Bottom