• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access for Premium Edition Customers is Brilliant

Is everyone going to copy this?

• No

• Yes

• Some

Results are only viewable after voting.

nikolino840

GeGc8Tz.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
Preorders giving you early access is the same shit as buying a game day one.

The difference here is Microsofts advertises their games as DAY ONE on gamepass.

Actually Microsoft made clear what Day One is defined as:

The company announced that all first-party titles will be made available on its subscription service on the same date as their global release. Early access on the back of a pre-order is not GA/GR

Official announcement: https://majornelson.com/2018/01/23/...-include-new-releases-from-microsoft-studios/
Actual Quote:

xYfLdr.jpg

Last edited:

nikolino840

Need really someone to explain to a gamer whats the meaning of "day one"? 🤣
Day One is the first day of availability of a game.

But Im here for Day Negative 7 with digtial deluxe.

or Buy collectors stream-only edition and get access to the SUPER ultra LAZERbeam Early Access 20 days before Day One.

nikolino840

But Im here for Day Negative 7 with digtial deluxe.

or Buy collectors stream-only edition and get access to the SUPER ultra LAZERbeam Early Access 20 days before Day One.
Day negative is called early access in the gaming world...

Actually Microsoft made clear what Day One is defined as:

The company announced that all first-party titles will be made available on its subscription service on the same date as their global release. Early access on the back of a pre-order is not GA/GR

Official announcement: https://majornelson.com/2018/01/23/...-include-new-releases-from-microsoft-studios/
Actual Quote:

xYfLdr.jpg
giphy.gif

Im getting the game Day One… 1 million people are playing the game, which they gained access to by buying the Deluxe Edition… BUT ACTUALLY.. im technically getting the game DAY ONE.

MM OK SURE. I might actually have to give in to this. It’s illogical. But you all wont stop with this nonsense. You win.

Last edited:
This is cute. But this is a preorder.

Lets break it down for you.
Preorder is the same price as launch day. Pertains to every edition.

Whats the difference? You pay earlier you play earlier. Just like if you bought the game a week after its released. This is difficult?

nikolino840

This is cute. But this is a preorder.

Lets break it down for you.
Preorder is the same price as launch day. Pertains to every edition.

Whats the difference? You pay earlier you play earlier. Just like if you bought the game a week after its released. This is difficult?

When was the first day of the remastered of cod?

You missed the 'select' in the image.
To gain access to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Campaign 30 days early, you must pre-purchase a PS4 edition of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare that includes Modern Warfare Remastered. These editions are the Legacy Edition, Legacy Pro Edition, Digital Legacy Edition, and the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Because the other editions dont come with it. Please tell me I dont need to explain this to you. An example that I didnt even post. (Since the point of my post was never to show who did something similar first, or even who did it first.)

When was the first day of the remastered of cod?

Here’s all the information you need to your example.

The first day of availability was the day of that blog post. What people got upset about was that the game was locked in a bundle with the normal yearly release. Similar to Spiderman Remastered. Two brilliant moves.

Last edited:

nikolino840

To gain access to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Campaign 30 days early, you must pre-purchase a PS4 edition of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare that includes Modern Warfare Remastered. These editions are the Legacy Edition, Legacy Pro Edition, Digital Legacy Edition, and the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Because the other editions dont come with it. Please tell me I dont need to explain this to you. An example that I didnt even post. (Since the point of my post was never to show who did something similar first, or even who did it first.)

Here’s all the information you need to your example.

The first day of availability was the day of that blog post. What people got upset about was that the game was locked in a bundle with the normal yearly release. Similar to Spiderman Remastered. Two brilliant moves.
So there's an early access or not? When was the release date? How is possibile to play day negative 30?

So there's an early access or not? When was the release date? How is possibile to play day negative 30?
I really hope youre self aware.

So is there a Day One or not? When was the release date? How is possibile to play Day One on November 3, when you can play the game 30 days before by a forced bundle?

Yes I love marketing too, ok. I promise.

nikolino840

I really hope youre self aware.

So is there a Day One or not? When was the release date? How is possibile to play Day One on November 3, when you can play the game 30 days before by a forced bundle?

Yes I love marketing too, ok. I promise.
You ask me if i'm self aware? 🤣
Was day negative 30 that cod?

You ask me if i'm self aware? 🤣
Was day negative 30 that cod?
The profile picture makes perfect sense.
I might actually have to give in to this. It’s illogical. But you all wont stop with this nonsense. You win.
Early Access is just a term to repackage “Day One” for marketing. Essentially having two day ones. It’s brilliant. You have a Day One on game pass. And they get to charge for the actual Day One (“early access”) (aka Day Negative [insert how many days earlier])

Have a very blessed mass, Bless your volume.

nikolino840

The profile picture makes perfect sense.

Early Access is just a term to repackage “Day One” for marketing. Essentially having two day ones. It’s brilliant. You have a Day One on game pass. And they get to charge for the actual Day One (“early access”) (aka Day Negative [insert how many days earlier])

Have a very blessed mass, Bless your volume.
Why just not reply with yes or no if that cod was day negative 30...makes things more simple...leave alone my profile pic 🤣

I think it's ingenious. I think they nearly got the production costs back before the game was even released and we are talking about a Game Pass game, that according to some people everbody just plays for 1 buck. So yes i think we will see this more in the future.

Arcadialane

You aren’t getting it late though, you’re getting it on the official release date, the very date they advertised to you.
You are literally getting it late though.
Yes that's the release date for non premium.

It releases to premium buyers before those who didn't pay, you'll be playing it late as somebody who didn't pay up.

Last edited:

CeeJay

exactly. It's a fucking bs.
It's a digital release. If it's ready, it's ready. Holding normal customers back is asshollery
So when reviewers are playing finished games early or the developers have sent out advanced copies to VIPs is that also holding normal customers back?

In the case of Forza Horizon, the release date was set months ago so it is still in pre-release. Normal customers are not being held back, the release date is (and has been for some time) November 9th.

It's normal for many people to get to play games before the release date. In the case of FH5 reviewers and a lot of Microsoft staff have been playing the finished game for weeks which probably accounts for tens of thousands of users before the premium edition customers. Public early access is just an extension of a practice that has been going on since the beginning of video gaming itself. I suppose it depends on whether you are a glass half-empty or glass half-full kind of person as to how you see this. Microsoft have not however artificially moved the release date back to make normal people wait longer, the release date was set long before the different editions were announced. A game goes gold weeks before it's released to the public yet that game is still finished, faster, slicker distribution channels now allow for the games to get into the hands of the gamers quicker. Having this quicker early access tied to a premium edition of a game is a nice bonus.

Fbh

Hopefully everyone copies it.
It's easily the best sort of "premium edition" bonus. It's not locking away content from people who buy the regular edition, and suckers pay extra to beta test the game for the rest of us.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, it's a brilliant idea to make more money. Forza almost has 1 million players already. These guys wouldve gotten the game for $10 on gamepass if they waited a week, but they didnt want to and now MS has made $85 per game for the first million sales.

Now is it good for consumers? Not really. It has created a have and have nots divide between players. If you are rich enough and afford to shell out almost a $100 to get the game early, it's a great deal for you. If you can only pay $60 then you have to wait like a poor person that you are which is kinda shitty because $60 is already a substantial amount for video games.

But hard to get outraged over this when you have other publishers charging $70 for next gen versions of their last gen games. EA also does one week early deals for their EA Access and EA Play Pro members. I think Sony did this for MLB the show as well one year. If they do it for GOW or TLOU and have spoilers leak a full week before most of us poor people get on then yeesh. MS is also essentially giving the game free next week thanks to all of their $1 deals. Even at the full $10 a month, this game is a steal. So hard to get outraged.

But I do find it funny to see gamers call it brilliant when they are the ones getting shafted.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So when reviewers are playing finished games early or the developers have sent out advanced copies to VIPs is that also holding normal customers back?

In the case of Forza Horizon, the release date was set months ago so it is still in pre-release. Normal customers are not being held back, the release date is (and has been for some time) November 9th.

It's normal for many people to get to play games before the release date. In the case of FH5 reviewers and a lot of Microsoft staff have been playing the finished game for weeks which probably accounts for tens of thousands of users before the premium edition customers. Public early access is just an extension of a practice that has been going on since the beginning of video gaming itself. I suppose it depends on whether you are a glass half-empty or glass half-full kind of person as to how you see this. Microsoft have not however artificially moved the release date back to make normal people wait longer, the release date was set long before the different editions were announced. A game goes gold weeks before it's released to the public yet that game is still finished, faster, slicker distribution channels now allow for the games to get into the hands of the gamers quicker. Having this quicker early access tied to a premium edition of a game is a nice bonus.
there is a difference between sending a copy to reviewers and to millions of customers who paid more.
I dont want to feel worse because I only paid 70 and not 100 bucks

Yes, it's a brilliant idea to make more money. Forza almost has 1 million players already. These guys wouldve gotten the game for $10 on gamepass if they waited a week, but they didnt want to and now MS has made $85 per game for the first million sales.

Now is it good for consumers? Not really. It has created a have and have nots divide between players. If you are rich enough and afford to shell out almost a $100 to get the game early, it's a great deal for you. If you can only pay $60 then you have to wait like a poor person that you are which is kinda shitty because $60 is already a substantial amount for video games.

But hard to get outraged over this when you have other publishers charging $70 for next gen versions of their last gen games. EA also does one week early deals for their EA Access and EA Play Pro members. I think Sony did this for MLB the show as well one year. If they do it for GOW or TLOU and have spoilers leak a full week before most of us poor people get on then yeesh. MS is also essentially giving the game free next week thanks to all of their $1 deals. Even at the full $10 a month, this game is a steal. So hard to get outraged.

But I do find it funny to see gamers call it brilliant when they are the ones getting shafted.

its four days, you’re acting like $60 customers wait a month or something. This is normal for virtually every industry. When I bought the new Tool album I paid less than other options, so I got less music and waited longer. If I don’t pay for a higher tier of HBO Max, I don’t get all of the same day one theater releases. If I don’t pay Amazon extra, I get less discounts and slower shipping.

Chukhopops

there is a difference between sending a copy to reviewers and to millions of customers who paid more.
Yesterday you were calling the hype « artificial » yesterday and said you had no interest in the game? Plus the game is live now for everyone so no need to feel bad about it anymore.

Ezekiel_

Banned
The plan for every company is to extract the most $ from customers, so it makes sense that Microsoft is aiming for a monthly subscription model, but still sell every damn thing they can.

I'm not sure how good this will be for customers though, if in the future the subscription only gives you access to an extremely basic game, and everything extra will also cost extra...

Subscription model + GaaS + MTX + beta access + early access + DLCs + cosmetics + in-game currency + whatever else they figure they can sell people, isn't going to be cheaper that a regular priced game...

Imagine if Netflix released a new show, but you can pay extra to watch it earlier than others (and potentially spoil it for others). Or imagine if Netflix paywalled the last episode of a series...

It makes perfect business sense, but as a customer, it's shitty. Unless you are a Microsoft employee, I don't see a reason to cheer them on...

Last edited:

nikolino840

The plan for every company is to extract the most $ from customers, so it makes sense that Microsoft is aiming for a monthly subscription model, but still sell every damn thing they can.

I'm not sure how good this will be for customers though, if in the future the subscription only gives you access to an extremely basic game, and everything extra will also cost extra...

Subscription model + GaaS + MTX + beta access + early access + DLCs + whatever else they figure they can sell people, isn't going to be cheaper that a regular priced game...
Like always ... rgg studio, a jap devs from a jap publ,done the same with lost judgment

reksveks

Subscription model + GaaS + MTX + beta access + early access + DLCs + whatever else they figure they can sell people, isn't going to be cheaper that a regular priced game...
Like prime, there will be people whom it works for and people whom it doesn't work for. I don't think this is a radical shift from the status quo.

MLB the show is effectively the same but the subscription (ps plus) for MLB gets you online play. Am I wrong?

Slightly less worried about this (but might be cause I have a higher opinion of reviewers than most people). If reviewers bad mouth a game, there is probably less likely of a user buying into the service. I don't think reviews matter as much once you are in the store/platform though.

Topher

Gold Member
Doesnt matter that it isnt new. It seems to be a made quite a nice profit. I think it’s hilarious people keep calling it day one when it releases for standard copies, but early release doesn’t count somehow.

Now mods are telling me I shouldnt single out Microsoft like im supposed care about a companies feelings. Im suppose to mention every single time it has happened before. I dont. I can single out this particular instance whenever I feel like it.

That like someone going Sony isnt the first to charge 70$ for a game! You cant mention it! Without reporting the history of 70$ games. I find this “game hasnt been released” push back extremely fascinating.

Precedence matters. It isn't about company's feelings, but simply acknowledging that this isn't new. Sure you can be selective as to when you point this out if you want, but folks can also point out that you are being selective if they want. Works both ways.

Frankly, I don't see why people complain about $70 games either. If I don't want to pay for a game at $70 then I'll wait for a sale. If I don't want to pay for early access then I'll wait for the actual release like I'm doing. I'm firmly in the "don't like it, don't buy it" camp.

Having said all that, I think folks who beat the "anti-consumer" drums whenever they can should be siding with you on this like they do about $70 games, director's cuts, etc.

Schmick

Why are people still going along with the premise the premium edition is simply there for early access to a game and why the hell are you bringing up rich vs poor. This is no different to every other DLC available to gamers for all the other games that use them.

This is what is included with the Premium Edition;

Games included
Forza Horizon 5

Add-ons included
Forza Horizon 5 Expansion One
Forza Horizon 5 Expansion Two
Forza Horizon 5 Car Pass
Forza Horizon 5 Welcome Pack
Forza Horizon 5 VIP Membership
4 days early access to the game

Paying a 'premium' to access all that is fairgame.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yesterday you were calling the hype « artificial » yesterday and said you had no interest in the game? Plus the game is live now for everyone so no need to feel bad about it anymore.
I don't. I will just get it on gamepass when it releases

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I don't disagree, but it has 1.1m. I only commenting here, because I tagged you in the Forza thread and seems like I have been overlooked/blocked : (

DaGwaphics

I'm definitely in favor of the subscription model, however I'd be the first to call out that behavior along with the naysayers. I'm in no way subscribed to GP for life, so, if they screw up the value I'll be out. Hopefuly MS brass is aware of that being an option.

I have no issue with a good game having some DLC sold separately, but don't give me the first three levels and then try to sell me the back nine. :messenger_beaming:

So far, there has been nothing that could even remotely be considered equivalent to that scenario, they just keep adding more and more value IMO.

Last edited:

CeeJay

If you are prepared to pay more for a premium product then you should expect to get more for your money and conversely if you pay less then don't be hurt because you get less. If getting access to the game a few days early is that important to you then pay up the extra if not then it's only a few days and really not that big of a deal. The early access is only a small part of the premium package and only really a sweetener to the deal. The game will still be amazing when you do get to play it and is in no way diminished by waiting a few days.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't disagree, but it has 1.1m. I only commenting here, because I tagged you in the Forza thread and seems like I have been overlooked/blocked : (
lol I havent blocked you.I just went back my notifications and dont see a tag from you. Just a couple of reacts going back to Saturday.

But yeah, 1.1 million is nuts. Just goes to show that the arcade racing genre isnt dead and Sony shutting down Evo Studios was a big mistake.

If you were only paying for early access then it would be a rip off. In this case you are getting a bunch of content, multiple DLC in the future, and 5 days heads start. I almost bought it just because I know the DLC will kick butt. In the end I'm too cheap though. I'll pick up all the DLC cheap someday in the future

Schmick

I'm definitely in favor of the subscription model, however I'd be the first to call out that behavior along with the naysayers. I'm in no way subscribed to GP for life, so, if they screw up the value I'll be out. Hopefuly MS brass is aware of that being an option.

I have no issue with a good game having some DLC sold separately, but don't give me the first three levels and then try to sell me the back nine. :messenger_beaming:

So far, there has been nothing that could even remotely be considered equivalent to that scenario, they just keep adding more and more value IMO.
Its amazing with what's happening with FS2020 and SoT. So much content added for free.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
More nefarious than brilliant. But I know why they do it, because people want to be first to play something.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Giving first dibs to Premium/Ultimate/Deluxe buyers is brilliant.

Will charging more so you have access to a game day one going to be copied by everyone? I can see FIFA and COD “following” this model ASAP. (LOL 🚨 EA/Activision LOL🚨) My friend hasnt missed a COD launch in his life. And always will pay to get in the Beta.

Sony is the creator of the trend. Nobody Panic! With Microsoft new model of having games “day one” on gamepass, then charging for early access, maybe finally PSNow will get “day one” games. LOOPHOLE.

Release Date: The official release date for Gears of War 5 is September 10, 2019. That’s a little tricky, however, because a huge number of players are going to be able to dive in early. If you’ve pre-ordered the game or subscribe to Microsoft Game Pass Ultimate, you’ll be able to start playing at 9:00 PM local time on September 5.

Microsoft charging to play online was smart. Sony giving games away to be able to charge to play online was even smarter.

Advertising Gamepass as having Day One releases. Then making “early access” exclusively to digital deluxes is 3000IQ.

I personally like the strategy. Companies get to charge more. Customers just have to wait a week. Thats why I call it brilliant. That being said nothing irks me more than renaming DAY ONE, as EARLY ACCESS. And everyone that disagrees with this needs to get slapped. Im fine with DAY NEGATIVE SEVEN.
Is not brilliant....

Is a theft method.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you are prepared to pay more for a premium product then you should expect to get more for your money and conversely if you pay less then don't be hurt because you get less. If getting access to the game a few days early is that important to you then pay up the extra if not then it's only a few days and really not that big of a deal. The early access is only a small part of the premium package and only really a sweetener to the deal. The game will still be amazing when you do get to play it and is in no way diminished by waiting a few days.
It feels wrong to gate access to product like that based on tiers of payment.
Additional preorder content is one thing but this is different to me

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I promise you that there's a lot of people who paid just to play early. I cannot stand companies doing this. It's a tactic to grab money from impatient players through FOMO.
No one paid 45 just to play early. Obviously it may have pushed some to buy the extra content, but it’s the extra content you’re paying for. You would only have an argument if they straight up were charging just for early access.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Or you know... Legit customers still have to wait and pirated versions is already available for days thanks to early access

If you were only paying for early access then it would be a rip off. In this case you are getting a bunch of content, multiple DLC in the future, and 5 days heads start. I almost bought it just because I know the DLC will kick butt. In the end I'm too cheap though. I'll pick up all the DLC cheap someday in the future

This. Horizon pretty much always has great expansions. Plus it makes it very easy to have the game on GamePass but still support the developer. So you can get an incredible game, all of the future expansions, other bonuses, and play early, and it’s only $45. Wow, so much anti-consumer.

Top Bottom