• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access for Premium Edition Customers is Brilliant

Is everyone going to copy this?

• No

• Yes

• Some

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ev1L AuRoN

Well I don't find it brilliant, in fact I think it's awful. I hate premium editions, day-one DLC and all that garbage that they put in modern games. Risking sounding like a boomer(maybe I AM) but all I want is a demo/beta to try the game before purchase, and a complete product for the Retail price. No DLC, No Packs, No Season Pass.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well I don't find it brilliant, in fact I think it's awful. I hate premium editions, day-one DLC and all that garbage that they put in modern games. Risking sounding like a boomer(maybe I AM) but all I want is a demo/beta to try the game before purchase, and a complete product for the Retail price. No DLC, No Packs, No Season Pass.

good news! You can buy your standard edition! no bundled season pass, no DLC.

you already have exactly what you want. Isn’t that awesome?

what’s not awesome is you choosing to make yourself miserably by complaining about what others spend their money on, purchases that do not affect your enjoyment of the product, or the quality of the product you purchased.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The reason I am currently okay with it? Because most games are launching broken and unfinished anyways.

I didn't say it was a nice reason.

Ev1L AuRoN

good news! You can buy your standard edition! no bundled season pass, no DLC.

you already have exactly what you want. Isn’t that awesome?

what’s not awesome is you choosing to make yourself miserably by complaining about what others spend their money on, purchases that do not affect your enjoyment of the product, or the quality of the product you purchased.
That's not exactly the norm. But you are right, in some cases the standard version is decent enough for me to purchase. I'm still adjusting to those add-ons. I have absolutely no problem buying battle pass for Warzone since it's a free game, for a retail priced game I'm less ok. IMHO

PrimeX

What does early acces even mean? It's not like people get to play before the game is even finished.
So the game is done but they just delay it for the losers that don't pay extra?

Ozriel

M$FT
What does early acces even mean? It's not like people get to play before the game is even finished.
So the game is done but they just delay it for the losers that don't pay extra?

Take Forza horizon 5 for example.
the announced release date is November 9th. Nobody is supposed to play it before then. Stores like Best Buy won’t sell to you before then, and Amazon will ship your game to arrive on the 9th (or as close as possible).
that’s the release date, and they have to respect it as much as possible to keep retailers happy.

However, the game is complete, ready to play and all day 1 patches already on the server. It’s complete enough to send to reviewers to review the game. What playground has now done is to make this same complete build available early as a perk to Make the premium edition of the game even more appealing.

So yes, the game is done. But they aren’t ‘delaying it for losers’. The release date for FH5 has not changed.
I agree ‘early access’ as a term can be confusing since it’s been used to describe WIP games

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Most of it is pre-selling DLC, that isn't out day one.

The game itself is massive w/o the DLC. The only thing they sell "day one" is some lame MTX, but those are avoidable and most of them are "skip playing the game to get this thing for a few bucks" lame shit.

CeeJay

It feels wrong to gate access to product like that based on tiers of payment.
Additional preorder content is one thing but this is different to me
Personally I hate preorder exclusive content. If I don't preorder and take a risk on the game being not fucked or a pile of shit then I lose the chance to ever own that content. The upside is that preorder exclusive content is not usually great.

Now that's really interesting. I don't recall any of the people in here that are having a stroke over FH5 giving early access, freaking out when MLB: The Show did it with their higher priced premium edition.
You guys that have such a persecution complex
over perceived attacks on your brand need to cut that shit out. You are the ones causing the most console warring with that attitude.

Instead of engaging with the argument head on you make it about something else, you make it into a "Sony fans are being biased against us". Completely unnecessarily. Generalizing that the people upset with this are only upset because it's MS game. Shots fired because you think everything is about a war over your silly brands.

That's fanboy mentality.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The game industry is famous of pulling every ridiculous practice out there. The most ridiculous is still and will probably remain a demo under a full game.

No one paid 45 just to play early. Obviously it may have pushed some to buy the extra content, but it’s the extra content you’re paying for. You would only have an argument if they straight up were charging just for early access.
How can you say that "no one" did that? Hell, I was tempted to do so myself, but I'm not going to shell out ten bucks per day to play 4 days early. Want to know why I KNOW that some people would be willing to do that though? Because other publishers have done it in the past, and YES, some players do shell out extra money ONLY for early access. This isn't a new thing that Microsoft is doing. I even made a video about Ubisoft doing this 3 years ago, so I know that other publishers have been preying on impatient players for years.
In fact, if we were talking about a game that I was more interested in (I've played the last 3 Forza games, but I'm not a huge racer player), say a game like Elden Ring, if they wanted an extra 40 bucks to play a week early, I would have to hide my own wallet to restrain myself from making a bad money decision.
I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying as an attack on Microsoft, but it's not. I simply do not like this method of monetization of people's FOMO, no matter who is doing it. Like I said, lots of publishers do it, and you're never going to see me defending it when anyone does it. In the case of Forza, if I DID pay the money early, it wouldn't be for the "extra content", because I know I'm highly unlikely to play enough of the game to make it worth the money. I would strictly be paying for the early access. For you to say that no one would possibly do that is just not correct. Some people surely did just that, I promise you.

cormack12

Gold Member
over perceived attacks on your brand need to cut that shit out. You are the ones causing the most console warring with that attitude.

Instead of engaging with the argument head on you make it about something else, you make it into a "Sony fans are being biased against us". Completely unnecessarily. Generalizing that the people upset with this are only upset because it's MS game. Shots fired because you think everything is about a war over your silly brands.

That's fanboy mentality.

FYI a mod changed the title at some point. It had something about xbox live or gold in it, cant remember. It looks like it was renamed to be more neutral. That's why most of the first page looks like it does. It was still there when I made my first post and I mentioned xbox as well.

It's been a pretty standard thing for the past few years or so and it's never really mattered to me. I would never pay to access any game a few days before the majority of people have access to it, no matter what the game is. I did buy the Premium version of this just a I've bought what they used to call the Ultimate version of this franchise historically but the release date played no part in that for me.
If anything the change of title from Ultimate Edition to Premium Edition is what I'm concerned about if anything, people complained with the last game as this year they added more chargeable DLC that wasn't included in the Ultimate Edition which was supposed to be the ultimate edition of the game rather than the not quite ultimate edition. After the previous releases in this franchise all used the same ultimate nomenclature and did include all DLC and with FH4 changing that practice and people complaining about them charging more, it seems all too clear why they've changed the name of the bundle to the Premium Edition for the first time.

Three

This is cute. But this is a preorder.

Lets break it down for you.
Preorder is the same price as launch day. Pertains to every edition.

Whats the difference? You pay earlier you play earlier. Just like if you bought the game a week after its released. This is difficult?
People are posting games from 2016. I was discussing this and how it's kind of bullshit in 2015. It's not new.

Last edited:

JayK47

Slippery slope if you ask me. Obviously if you are shelling out for a premium edition, you welcome playing the game early. In an age where people are insanely impatient to play a game or be the first to play a game, there is a lot of incentive to pay to play early. People complain about timed exclusives, and this is a version of that. Yet I am seeing a lot of people defending this tactic for Forza Horizon 5. I am guessing those defending it are busy playing the game while the rest are waiting for the "official" release.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

That's fanboy mentality.

Engage with the argument? What argument, there is nothing here but a bunch of disingenuous BS and false narrative. I couldn't careless if someone wants to pay extra to get the premium edition of a game to get perks and/or extra content and I do not care if one of those perks is they get to play the game a few days early.

What is annoying to me is OP and several others in this thread pretending like this is something invented by Xbox/Playground last week and acting like it's never been done before when it's been going on with a ton of gaming companies for many years. I'm further annoyed at the false claims by some people that early access is the actual launch date not the officially announced global release date.

Unless you are brand new to gaming it should be painfully obvious that these are disingenuous arguments the majority of them coming from fans of certain plastic box who seem to be really shook at how well this game appears to be doing before it even officially releases. If you can't see that, YOU are the one with a fanboy mentality.

For future reference, the next time you want insult or accuse me, it would be a fangirl not a fanboy.

Ozriel

M$FT

That's fanboy mentality.
The easy way to prove this is 'persecution complex' would be to show - with links - similar threads that were created for MLB, Lost Judgement, NBA 2k22 and FIFA 22. Heck, FIFA is a MUCH bigger multiplatform game series and we never had a thread. No thread for Battlefield V either.

Perhaps in your case you don't fall in that category. But you cannot speak for everyone. Still doesn't make it less wierd that you were claiming - without basis - that many people paid only for early access, that the early access was one week (it wasn't) and that Gamepass subscribers are being shortchanged for getting to play the game the exact same time as buyers who pay $60 for their games.

Engage with the argument? What argument, there is nothing here but a bunch of disingenuous BS and false narrative. I couldn't careless if someone wants to pay extra to get the premium edition of a game to get perks and/or extra content and I do not care if one of those perks is they get to play the game a few days early.

What is annoying to me is OP and several others in this thread pretending like this is something invented by Xbox/Playground last week and acting like it's never been done before when it's been going on with a ton of gaming companies for many years. I'm further annoyed at the false claims by some people that early access is the actual launch date not the officially announced global release date.

Unless you are brand new to gaming it should be painfully obvious that these are disingenuous arguments the majority of them coming from fans of certain plastic box who seem to be really shook at how well this game appears to be doing before it even officially releases. If you can't see that, YOU are the one with a fanboy mentality.

For future reference, the next time you want insult or accuse me, it would be a fangirl not a fanboy.

I think its a case of people not wanting to be wrong. A lot of people said Gamepass was unsustainable and its going to mean less big budget games and everything is going to be GAAS. Now FH5 and Halo Infinite will probably both earn most of the budget for these games just 1with sales of DLC and premium edition pre-orders on PC/Xbox. The truth is Gamepass is sustainable and tentpole games launching into the service creates more buzz leading to high pre-orders and purchases of DLC. Starfield will be huge next year too.

DaGwaphics

I think its a case of people not wanting to be wrong. A lot of people said Gamepass was unsustainable and its going to mean less big budget games and everything is going to be GAAS. Now FH5 and Halo Infinite will probably both earn most of the budget for these games just 1with sales of DLC and premium edition pre-orders on PC/Xbox. The truth is Gamepass is sustainable and tentpole games launching into the service creates more buzz leading to high pre-orders and purchases of DLC. Starfield will be huge next year too.

This is the crux of it. It's obvious now that FH5 is going to be huge and that doesn't fit some ongoing narratives.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I suspect at least in the case of FH5 it already earned it's budget before even releasing. That fact seems to be making certain people crazy. I've already done my part in helping Halo Infinite earn back it's budget. I pre-ordered the steelbook edition weeks ago and can NOT wait to play it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wouldn't have paid, but normally I buy the add ons for forza anyhow, so for me it might have cost $10-$15, which was worth it.

Top Bottom