• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

I have not yet tried mp, but yeah, in ME3 the combos were satisfying, especially the sound effects. I'll have to try out mp and see if I notice that.
Prime example
Vanguard rush followed by the Nova smash, the animation and feeling of it felt more fluid in me3 where in this it feels a little clunky

nOoblet16

Light doesn't work like that!

So we accept that the Mass Effect (relays) break space time on a local level, that's fine since it's needed for the series to work. But, they'd need a technobabble sender in Andromeda to get superluminal information back to the Milky Way.

Erm I know how light works...who said anything about it being an optical telescope ? More than likely they would use radio telescopes (which I know are still limited to light speed, so you don't need to tell me that) like the NASA scientists use these days to read planets. I mean NASA is able to discover potential earth like planets 500 light years away today.

Is it really that hard to convince yourself that they can do the same for Andromeda using Mass relays in this universe ? I mean if you have a problem with this then you should have a problem with FTL travel in the first place because travelling faster than light isn't actually possible as physics doesn't work like that. But yet there are theories to get around that even in our world. Why is it so hard to imagine that such a thing can happen in a universe where it isn't a theory anymore and mass as well as radio information can be sent thousands of times faster than light?

I mean the game does its job of explaining this shit using technobabble that makes up for this universe, whether it's sufficient for you or not to convince yourself is an entirely different argument.

Actually, no. Mass Relays are pretty thoroughly explained in the original trilogy and that explanation is at least logical enough to not be considered "space magic". How exactly you use mass effect fields which reduce the mass of objects making FTL possible in a telescope is a mystery to me and does sound like space magic. Photons (or anything which can be used to "see" really) don't have mass so you can't use mass effect field for any kind of far reconnaissance.
How do they do FTL communications in this universe, despite the fact that they have no actual mass ? You should have a problem with that too then.

Mass effect fields can only reduce the mass of the object, they are still bound by physics and as such limited to speed of light. The idea behind FTL in Mass Effect seems to be Alcubierre drive and the mass effect field simply seems to be a way to reduce the mass of the ship to something small enough that it can be propelled by warping the space time fabric around it without requiring immense amount of power.

How are the relays and other forms of FTL travel not "space magic" though? As I think I noted earlier in this thread, there is no connection between reduced mass and FTL travel in real-world physics. No matter how small your mass gets, you are still constrained by special relativity to the speed of light. Am I misremembering the technobabble about how FTL travel works in the Mass Effect universe?
There is, lower mass means lower negative energy requirement to propel the ship by warping space time fabric.

Tacitus_

Why is it so hard to imagine that such a thing can happen in a universe where it isn't a theory anymore and mass as well as radio information can be sent thousands of times faster than light?
Sent, yes. But they had no sender in Andromeda before their ships got there. So all information had to come the regular way, constrained by light speed.
How do they do FTL communications in this universe, despite the fact that they have no actual mass ? You should have a problem with that too then.

They use quantum entanglement for FTL communications. Which again needs both ends to be there. (and really shouldn't work like that as far as we know, but whatever, future science could've made it possible)

I know, this is all a minor nitpick. But I have a feeling that it's indicative of the care put into the rest of the game.

But if it's actually the case that ME:A is just more single player mmo content grinding like DA:I. Then I'm definitely gonna be very apprehensive about their games in the future...

I have no idea where this is coming from. I've almost finished the game and the side quest / writing quality is up there with Witcher 3. There have been like 3 "go fetch 10 of X" quests in over 40 hours of play.

obeast

There is, lower mass means lower negative energy requirement to propel the ship by warping space time fabric.

Right, but per my googling of Mass Effect arcana, its FTL does not revolve around the loal warping of space-time. I believe the relevant codex entries just assert that low mass implies FTL travel - i.e., that we're operating in a universe with different physical laws.

Edit - the precise language in the codex is "[FTL] drives use element zero cores to reduce the mass of the ship, allowing higher rates of acceleration. This effectively raises the speed of light within the mass effect field, allowing high speed travel with negligible relativistic time dilation effects." I'm pretty sure the second sentence does not follow from the first.

In terms of our universe, sure, although it's unclear if something like an Alcubierre drive is actually possible, because Alcubierre's metric requires weird negative-energy stuff that may not exist.

Kumquat

They said I was wrong. Now you'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE!

Seriously though, this is painful. ME is one of my favorite series. This breaks my heart and I have never jumped so hard from defender to foe of a game. Feels bad,

Ralemont

not me
I have no idea where this is coming from. I've almost finished the game and the side quest / writing quality is up there with Witcher 3. There have been like 3 "go fetch 10 of X" quests in over 40 hours of play.

That's really good to hear. Yeah I have heard there were fetch quests but that even those had more attention and detail than those in DAI. Regardless of whether they are actually as well written as W3, as long as it feels like attention was paid to them I'll be happy.

ExVicis

How many quests are "Go to these places and scan this thing for me" in terms of sidequests?

Jumeira

Banned

You just saved the game for me, no offense to Shinobi but he didn't mind this aspect of DA:I so im not able to take his opinion onboard. I hope it's limited like you say. Huge ME fan, best franchise of last gen for me.

Well let's hope its true because I am on the first non prologue planet and it has been "go explore x amount of rocks!"

Staf

I'm seriously thinking of canceling the pre-order of my second most anticipated title of the year... If there's a chance they might fix some of these animations in a patch or something i'm thinking shelving this. I've got loads of other games to play anyways...

ME1 opens with a space magic infused obelisk selecting Shepard to be the Saviour of the Galaxy. And this is after you use a Mass Effect (space magic) 'relay' that fires you around the galaxy in a heartbeat.

Of all the things to get all prickly about, the use of space magic telescopes seems particularly ridiculous.

That's really good to hear. Yeah I have heard there were fetch quests but that even those had more attention and detail than those in DAI. Regardless of whether they are actually as well written as W3, as long as it feels like attention was paid to them I'll be happy.

Yeah, there are some better written than W3, others as good, others not, but it's all got that Mass Effect codex and lore backing it up.

You just saved the game for me, no offense to Shinobi but he didn't mind this aspect of DA:I so im not able to take his opinion onboard. I hope it's limited like you say. Huge ME fan, best franchise of last gen for me.

I didn't play DA:I, but I know it by that bad reputation. There's a few spread around the game, but it's much more in line with games like Horizon or The Witcher -- a small part of much greater variety.

How many quests are "Go to these places and scan this thing for me" in terms of sidequests?

Certainly "go to a place and scan something" is a fairly common motif, but like any good open-world game, when it's used, the mechanic is usually disguised by a good story or something interesting happening.

Well let's hope its true because I am on the first non prologue planet and it has been "go explore x amount of rocks!"

Haha, ironically, that quest you're talking about is one of just a handful. Just so happens you encounter it very early because it basically lasts across the whole game, across multiple planets.

Lime

After 4 hours of playing, Pearce from IGN tweeted this:

I'm growing increasingly concerned that I'm not going to like Mass Effect: Andromeda, you guys. Pls don't hate me.

Remember that this is only after 4 hours of playing and it might become better. I hope for the best for the final release and its reviews.

pa22word

I find it kind of interesting how origin/ea access has impacted the Bioware cycle like this. Typically the hype cycle carries them straight into the 90+ MC range every time, and the blowback doesn't start until people start playing the game without a deadline in mind.

kirblar

I find it kind of interesting how origin/ea access has impacted the Bioware cycle like this. Typically the hype cycle carries them straight into the 90+ MC range every time, and the blowback doesn't start until people start playing the game without a deadline in mind.
The not-great looking previews combined with them not showing a lot of the game started raising red flags for people (in the same way that movies not being screened for critics does) and so the hype cycle was already kinda bumpy prior to us getting unflattering impressions.

TheRed

Whelp, that follow-up article did it. Not picking this up. I already had misgivings about the idea of ME: Inquisition- combine that with franchise apathy (ME3 really killed my interest), and I think I'm done. It's moving further away from what I'm looking for.
Hmm idk I played my 10 hour trial and really want more. I hated DA:I and have played less than 10 hours of it even though I was hyped for it and got deluxe edition on release day.
It must be doing something better.
I found a lot of the reading interesting the characters were growing on me too before the trial ending.

Lakitu

st5fu
After 4 hours of playing, Pearce from IGN tweeted this:

Remember that this is only after 4 hours of playing and it might become better. I hope for the best for the final release and its reviews.

Where does she say she has played it for 4 hours? Shinobi mentions that the game significantly opens up after Eos so it might be a bit too early to judge it if it is only 4 hours.

Snagret

Combat does not feel as good as ME3.

More opportunities for tech and biotic combos in the MP

I just can't get over how the older games feel better performance wise?
Interesting, I felt the opposite. ME3 feels pretty clunky and slow, and abilities being on a universal cooldown means much less opportunity for performing combos off of your own abilities. It really dragged the pacing of combat down quite a lot. It's still a lot of fun, and I think ME3 does a better job making abilities have a nice weighty impact to them, but I think zipping around with a jetpack and comboing off yourself is way more fun than what ME3 offered in terms of ment to moment.

Also keep in mind, ME3 benefited greatly by cooking in the oven a bit after release with regular content updates and balance fixes. The Andromeda multi is far from perfect right now, but I think it's releasing in a better position than ME3 did at its launch. They're in a great position to evolve it into something really brilliant, till then it's fun with some obvious mechanical flaws (lag and really crappy audio positioning being at the top of the list, low amount of maps and enemy types being others).

Top Bottom