• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

early Man of Steel impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't like hearing this. The feeling that it'd be more like that was what finally got me interested in seeing a Superman movie.
I'm with you. I lost a little bit of interesting knowing it's not gonna be this serious film. I'm still excited though.

Solo

Dios Mio!!

All he had to say was imagine perfection.

UdP1L.gif

Ovid

I'm open to another Superman movie but I really hope it's not as serious as Batman. BOOOOORING.

The Dark Knight Rises was good though

The first one was good. The second was hilarious for its comedy value.

The Donner Cut of part two is my favorite Superman movie. I haven't seen the theatrical version since I was a little kid, so I'm not necessarily saying it's shit or anything, just saying the Donner Cut is pretty fucking awesome.

Dany

Banned
Really awesome. Can't wait. :D

I'd hope that the trailer's theme was actually representative for the film. It would have been a great change of pace.

Simo

Clarification TDK or TDKR?

He was just asked how it compares to "the dark knight" but looking at his Twitter it looks like he regards TDKR as a "masterpiece" which he cried at while viewing...so yeah probably comparing it to TDKR rather than TDK.

One of admins over at the SuperheroHype boards has heard various feedback from the screenings but hasn't really divulged any of them but apparently he writes for ThinkMcFlyThink.com and just posted an article about Goyer already being tapped for MOS2 and posted this in the opening..
Yes, it's screened to select crowds. Friends & Family, different levels of execs, and the filmmakers themselves have taken a gander at what Snyder hath wroth. And yes, the word is good. The range of positive varies. One trusted source liked it, with reservations, while another exclaimed it as downright "AMAZING" (their exact words – all caps included). Regardless of how good, it is good and high-ups at Burbank are walking on clouds like Kal-El. Now the question leading up to June 14 is, "Great... and then what?"

Raiden

Banned
God this is going to be awesome. I dont really care all that much for the Superman franchise whatever. But 300 and Watchmen are probably my favorite action movies. Zack Snyder just does that thing i love the most in action. Not bigass explosions, just stylish and brutal stuff.

That one scene from 300 where Leonidas is kicking ass is probably my favorite action scene ever. Imagine that with Superman and Zod fighting and we're golden.

Edit: Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bIEk58LzI

Snyder's perfect track record to continue!

EDIT: Regarding the below, SUCKER PUNCH was INCEPTION, but minus the handholding and plus exciting imagery and action.

Inception was great.

Beyond the hate for the movie itself, though, the haters should at least appreciate that it's a unique film not based on an existing IP that made a ton of money.

The sad part is the right message didn't get across.

Ideal message: Audiences are willing and eager to see new original content in theatres. The untethered big-budget blockbuster doesn't have to be dead.

Message apparently received: Well I guess that Nolan is a real exception. Let's go make some more superhero movies. What franchises can we use?

Just a shame.

GloveSlap

i was actually looking forward to a dour, actionless, introspective superman film.

Me too, to a point. The stuff they talked about before in interviews sounded really interesting. Like how the world would react to not only the equivalent of a God, but also first contact with an alien at the same time. Those make for interesting motives for Lex Luthor in the future, as opposed to dumb real estate shit like the other movies.

Add the nice amount of action that they seem to have and you have a good mix.

JaseMath

I don't care what anyone says - Zack Snyder and action scenes are a match made in heaven. They become video game cutscenes and, given the tone of the movie, that's totally fine with me.

Burt

Exclusive first "first impressions" article is positive? WHODATHUNKIT???

GAMES JOURNALISM

No, wait

FILM CRITICISM

effzee

No seriously. Inception is decent but it has the troubles of a typical summer blockbuster (i.e. the stupid main character having angst problems that he doesn't take care of + a pointless newcomer called Ellen Page).

Seriously? You'r issue with a movie is that the main character has issues that he battles through throughout the movie?

You might have just described every single movie ever in existence.

Inception was great.

Beyond the hate for the movie itself, though, the haters should at least appreciate that it's a unique film not based on an existing IP that made a ton of money.

The sad part is the right message didn't get across.

Ideal message: Audiences are willing and eager to see new original content in theatres. The untethered big-budget blockbuster doesn't have to be dead.

Message apparently received: Well I guess that Nolan is a real exception. Let's go make some more superhero movies. What franchises can we use?

Just a shame.

Well Nolan's next movie is another new original sci-fi movie. I can tell already that initially everyone will love it, discuss it to death, then screen cap all the cool scenes, then slow it down, and break it down to the point everything will suck. The dialogue will suck, the action, the theme, the look, the music, and even the movie title font!

BTW there was another message apparently the superior film watching clique of GAF received after Inception: It's a dumb movie because I figured it out within 4min and 33 seconds and its only pretending to be smart thus fooling the usual stupid crowd.

DerZuhälter;48506250 said:
The CineGAF Nolan hate is delicious. You make one mediocre/average film and you get graded down from Film-Messiah to Brett Ratner. Shame on you CineGAF.

He didn't even make average film if you guy by critical and commercial response. His best? That is subjective.

Hell all of it is subjective. But at least his movies are consistently reviewed really well and have done commercial even better. And I think that's where the problem is. Some of the "complaints" and forced wannabe film student level critiques seemed to be based proportionally to his rise and fame.

Anyway it would be nice to have a topic about Superman without it turning into another shit on Nolan thread. Yes we get it he sucks. Plus he didn't write this movie. All he had was a good idea that he and Goyer came up with. They pitched it to WB and they really liked it. His production company is producing it so his name is being used. He has no real creative control over the movie from the script to the final cut.

If anything be thankful that WB is using his money and fame to put together hopefully a great Superman movie with a good story and kick ass action.

Well Nolan's next movie is another new original sci-fi movie. I can tell already that initially everyone will love it, discuss it to death, then screen cap all the cool scenes, then slow it down, and break it down to the point everything will suck. The dialogue will suck, the action, the theme, the look, the music, and even the movie title font!

That hack Nolan never showed how Bruce Wayne got back to Gotham after he got out of the pit! Such an appalling movie.

Metalmarc

OK, I'm cranky old guy. But I'm fucking tired of super-hero movies. As that thread on space movies showed, there are actually not that many great space movies. Can't someone make a great space movie instead of yet more me-too super-hero dreck? FFS.

/curmudgeon done.

2015/16 star wars episode seven
eps 8
eps 9

han solo, and boba fett and possible yoda movies

yup your covered for space movies for a while

L1NETT

Sounds good, although it would be surprising if it didn't at this stage. I anticipate the usual opening to a super hero franchise (see Batman Begins, well BB is not as big a culprit as IM and Iron Man) 2/3-3/4 of excellent character development followed by mind numbingly boring actions put into the movie to sell it to the popcorn crowd.

I hate to keep the Nolan side show going, but the unnecessary flack he receives can be a little overbearing at times? To call the Batman movies terrible is absurd. Maybe they didn't reach your unreachable hype levels, but they are by no means terrible movies. I suppose movies at least trying to give us some brain substance rather than mindless action should be hated because they haven't got Charles Dickens as their writer.

And have you people seen Memento? Amazing stuff, if you haven't - then do yourselves a favour! :)

I have been cautiously optimistic about this movie. The things I have learned about Snyder is that he has an excellent visuals in his movies and he nails the action scenes. But I also think when he is adapting from source material such as comics, he doesn't stray far enough from the original story. I really liked Watchmen, but the movie is just suffocated by Snyder trying to make a carbon copy of the novel. Although there were some stand out moments in the movie which gives me confidence in MOS, such as any of the Dr Manhattan scenes. However I think Sucker Punch showed that he also cant handle the story on his own.

MOS I am hoping is good because he hasn't got a graphic novel to translate from. It has the potential for some awesome action scenes and also because Nolan seems to be helping him with story.

Sapiens

Ever since that dude from AICN gave AotC a verbal blowjob 10 years ago, I never trust first impressions.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man of Steel "Overdelivers". Haha, let me guess: Its only flaw is that it's TOO good.

Talk about empty rhetoric. Reminds me of those first impressions of TDKR, where Warner executives cried from the sheer marvel of the movie, they bathed in the eternal glory that was TDKR - the best movie ever created.

..And then we actually saw it ourselves.

nick nacc

Banned
Man of Steel "Overdelivers". Haha, let me guess: Its only flaw is that it's TOO good.

Talk about empty rhetoric. Reminds me of those first impressions of TDKR, where Warner executives cried from the sheer marvel of the movie, they bathed in the eternal glory that was TDKR - the best movie ever created.

Yep.

effzee

Over delivers could also mean something completely different if the expectations after the last Superman movie were low. And they were/are.

Right. And you were talking about empty rhetoric? All I remember from those early impressions was a "standing applause" at the end and that they all really liked it. Same with TDK.

Oh and btw you personally not liking a movie doesn't make any screening or buzz any less relevant. I know its a hard concept to grasp but both TDK and TDKR received positive reactions from the studio from the very early screenings (except there were rumblings that some didn't like TDKR's ending because they couldn't then make a direct sequel) and both movies went on to receive high critical acclaim and lit up the box office. Because you didn't like TDKR doesn't make it a bad movie or some written in stone fact.

Some of you guys are cynics to the point you suck fun out of everything. Early screenings positive impressions! No can't be good! It's their movie they would never say anything bad! Then how come we constantly get movies that very early receive negative buzz or impressions? How are those let out? Shouldn't those studios also cheer their movies regardless of quality?

And why would WB execs care to give out fake impressions or praise something that sucks? You think that will somehow effect the average movie go-er? Outside of the internet movie obsessed/following community, most people will never even hear about these impressions or buzz. When they see the marketing, further trailers, and that it is THE big summer movie (after IM3) released in prime movie season, people are going to go see it. Its going to make tons of money regardless of some posts about positive reactions from back in Feb-March.

Anyway back to the hype! +1

Is Hangover3 bringing back the same cast? Cooper is in everything nowadays.

Verendus

Banned
I saw this about two weeks ago, by accident pretty much. Had to sacrifice a sneak peek at something else, but glad to say I don't regret it. I'll keep my impressions as spoiler free as possible.

I'm not a comic fan just so you know. My exposure to Superman is from the original Donner movies, then the Justice League cartoons. Also, he's still a pussy, This movie doesn't change that!

The movie is good, and entertaining. I don't think I'll use hyperbole of calling it the best movie of the year two months in, but it's a top five, if not top three, superhero movie. I imagine Superman fans are going to really love this, unless somehow people don't like this characterisation of Clark Kent/Superman. Which if you don't, then I don't know what to say. I think this is the best live action version of Superman and it does a great job of making him feel relatable. Just so you know, I consider Batman Begins the cream of the crop and the best superhero movie.

For fans of the Nolan Batman trilogy, you'll take to this quite quickly, like I did. It has a very similar feel to a Nolan movie. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since Nolan was involved, but I thought his involvement wasn't that great supposedly. Either way, it does genuinely feel similar in style when it comes to the storytelling. The one it holds most similarity to is Batman Begins. Not too much of a surprise since it's also an origin story, but it's also tightly told which is the key point. It doesn't move as swiftly as Batman Begins did, but it's still really nicely paced. Like Batman Begins, it's a reserved and more character focused tale, but it also has comic elements. I'd say it's just slightly less serious/grounded than that movie.

The story is simple, and executed better for it. You're basically presented Clark Kent as a boy/man going through changes and having an internal conflict about his identity. This character arc has a two step resolution.
The first is him coming to terms with his role as a potential protector of humanity, a conflict fueled by various events in his life, which brings us the first amazing and climactic point of the movie with the birth of Superman. The second is the reality of the existence of Superman on humanity and him coming to peace with what that means for him and how he is perceived. This obviously brings us the major climax of the movie, supported by an ass whooping.

The action is great in the movie. There is fair bit of it. It feels like The Matrix. By that, I mean it's quite over the top. This is good because it's Superman. There are a lot of little touches that are shown by Henry Cavill which give more gravitas to the vulnerability of Superman. Moments where he's shaken or staggered. They're just cool moments. The action is both slow and fast which gives an effect of something superhuman occurring. In terms of action,
there are about four major setpieces. Then there are a lot of little action moments in between.
It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action. There is one moment near the end where you will go, this is fucking Superman. It's basically the climactic moment. I'll have to re-watch Avengers, but I think I enjoyed the action in this movie more than any other superhero movie because it just had a lot of weight behind it.

You want Superman to succeed.

Henry Cavill is Superman to me now. I like his take on the character. I don't really care necessarily how Superman/Clark Kent is in the comics. But Henry has a really good performance and brings a new Superman for the modern era. One who is powerful, strong, and inhumane in ability, yet also relatable and earns our sympathy. Also, he looks so much more awesome with the beard. It would be amazing having a Superman with a beard. Let him be clean shaven as Clark Kent, but then when he goes all manly and turns into Superman, he grows a beard instantly too. You get used to seeing Cavill without the beard, but it's so weird. Like he was born to have that beard.

Also, damn Zod is badass. Too badass. He comes out with some next level quotes. I don't even--

The weakest aspect of this movie is the Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Superman relationship. I don't think Amy Adams turned in a bad performance, but in a movie which is quite tight and focused, this aspect was the weakest link. It kind of sticks out. The character on her own is fine, and her little crew are a very pleasant addition, but I think they could've stopped going Hollywood and left a little of the relationship development to a second movie.

Supporting cast is strong. Kevin Costner is really cool. The My-Cocaine of this movie. He's not in it very long, but maybe I like those father figure characters. Also, Morpheus being all Morpheus and being pretty cool again.

The music is very nice. At times slow and emotional, and at others sweeping and epic. The new theme is good. Different, but good. It fits the Man of Steel.

I think I chose to compare this to Batman Begins for a few reasons. It feels similar, it's also character focused, and it does a fantastic job of making you anticipate the next movie. There is a nice blend of serious character focus, and lighthearted humour in the movie. The villains for the sequel are somewhat hinted, and this is a really strong first outing. I'm definitely curious to see what happens with the sequel. They could make an amazing movie like The Dark Knight, or like Iron Man 2, turn out a pile of crap after a solid first movie. Who knows, but as it stands, there will be hyperbole when people see this move. I'm sure of it. That's because it's good, and one of the best superhero movies. More importantly, it's brought Superman from being that little pussy who is always in the shadow of the Goddamn Batman, to more of an equal standing.

Also, MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ UNLESS YOUR HEART IS READY BECAUSE YOU MAY REGRET:

There is no JGL in this movie. The most relief I've experienced when watching a movie. Why? Because fuck John Blake. He's a shit character. Those rumours had me very wary.

I think Warner Bros. has a hit on its hands. I don't think another billion grossing movie is out of the question if word of mouth is good like I think it will be. If this movie bombs, we may as well not bother with Superman in the future. This is pretty much as good as it gets for a foundation laying movie.

Also, I am more convinced now than ever that WB should not focus on the Justice League.

Batman and Superman is where it's at. Do not waste time with the others. It's time to reboot Batman and bring a team-up movie with these two. The universe of Man of Steel has a nice mix of fantastical elements that we could get Batman with his full rogue gallery in it. This movie would be ridiculously huge. Most importantly, with a Batman/Superman movie, you can still bring what both Batman Begins and Man of Steel do better than any other superhero movie, which is earning your emotional engagement. There is a chance of a great movie with a solid story and some amazing action.

I will begin hoping now.

Bit-Bit

I saw this about two weeks ago, by accident pretty much. Had to sacrifice a sneak peek at something else, but glad to say I don't regret it. I'll keep my impressions as spoiler free as possible.

I'm not a comic fan just so you know. My exposure to Superman is from the original Donner movies, then the Justice League cartoons. Also, he's still a pussy, This movie doesn't change that!

The movie is good, and entertaining. I don't think I'll use hyperbole of calling it the best movie of the year two months in, but it's a top five, if not top three, superhero movie. I imagine Superman fans are going to really love this, unless somehow people don't like this characterisation of Clark Kent/Superman. Which if you don't, then I don't know what to say. I think this is the best live action version of Superman and it does a great job of making him feel relatable. Just so you know, I consider Batman Begins the cream of the crop and the best superhero movie.

For fans of the Nolan Batman trilogy, you'll take to this quite quickly, like I did. It has a very similar feel to a Nolan movie. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since Nolan was involved, but I thought his involvement wasn't that great supposedly. Either way, it does genuinely feel similar in style when it comes to the storytelling. The one it holds most similarity to is Batman Begins. Not too much of a surprise since it's also an origin story, but it's also tightly told which is the key point. It doesn't move as swiftly as Batman Begins did, but it's still really nicely paced. Like Batman Begins, it's a reserved and more character focused tale, but it also has comic elements. I'd say it's just slightly less serious/grounded than that movie.

The story is simple, and executed better for it. You're basically presented Clark Kent as a boy/man going through changes and having an internal conflict about his identity. This character arc has a two step resolution.
The first is him coming to terms with his role as a potential protector of humanity, a conflict fueled by various events in his life, which brings us the first amazing and climactic point of the movie with the birth of Superman. The second is the reality of the existence of Superman on humanity and him coming to peace with what that means for him and how he is perceived. This obviously brings us the major climax of the movie, supported by an ass whooping.

The action is great in the movie. There is fair bit of it. It feels like The Matrix. By that, I mean it's quite over the top. This is good because it's Superman. There are a lot of little touches that are shown by Henry Cavill which give more gravitas to the vulnerability of Superman. Moments where he's shaken or staggered. They're just cool moments. The action is both slow and fast which gives an effect of something superhuman occurring. In terms of action,
there are about four major setpieces. Then there are a lot of little action moments in between.
It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action. There is one moment near the end where you will go, this is fucking Superman. It's basically the climactic moment. I'll have to re-watch Avengers, but I think I enjoyed the action in this movie more than any other superhero movie because it just had a lot of weight behind it.

You want Superman to succeed.

Henry Cavill is Superman to me now. I like his take on the character. I don't really care necessarily how Superman/Clark Kent is in the comics. But Henry has a really good performance and brings a new Superman for the modern era. One who is powerful, strong, and inhumane in ability, yet also relatable and earns our sympathy. Also, he looks so much more awesome with the beard. It would be amazing having a Superman with a beard. Let him be clean shaven as Clark Kent, but then when he goes all manly and turns into Superman, he grows a beard instantly too. You get used to seeing Cavill without the beard, but it's so weird. Like he was born to have that beard.

Also, damn Zod is badass. Too badass. He comes out with some next level quotes. I don't even--

The weakest aspect of this movie is the Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Superman relationship. I don't think Amy Adams turned in a bad performance, but in a movie which is quite tight and focused, this aspect was the weakest link. It kind of sticks out. The character on her own is fine, and her little crew are a very pleasant addition, but I think they could've stopped going Hollywood and left a little of the relationship development to a second movie.

Supporting cast is strong. Kevin Costner is really cool. The My-Cocaine of this movie. He's not in it very long, but maybe I like those father figure characters. Also, Morpheus being all Morpheus and being pretty cool again.

The music is very nice. At times slow and emotional, and at others sweeping and epic. The new theme is good. Different, but good. It fits the Man of Steel.

I think I chose to compare this to Batman Begins for a few reasons. It feels similar, it's also character focused, and it does a fantastic job of making you anticipate the next movie. There is a nice blend of serious character focus, and lighthearted humour in the movie. The villains for the sequel are somewhat hinted, and this is a really strong first outing. I'm definitely curious to see what happens with the sequel. They could make an amazing movie like The Dark Knight, or like Iron Man 2, turn out a pile of crap after a solid first movie. Who knows, but as it stands, there will be hyperbole when people see this move. I'm sure of it. That's because it's good, and one of the best superhero movies. More importantly, it's brought Superman from being that little pussy who is always in the shadow of the Goddamn Batman, to more of an equal standing.

Also, MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ UNLESS YOUR HEART IS READY BECAUSE YOU MAY REGRET:

There is no JGL in this movie. The most relief I've experienced when watching a movie. Why? Because fuck John Blake. He's a shit character. Those rumours had me very wary.

I think Warner Bros. has a hit on its hands. I don't think another billion grossing movie is out of the question if word of mouth is good like I think it will be. If this movie bombs, we may as well not bother with Superman in the future. This is pretty much as good as it gets for a foundation laying movie.

Also, I am more convinced now than ever that WB should not focus on the Justice League.

Batman and Superman is where it's at. Do not waste time with the others. It's time to reboot Batman and bring a team-up movie with these two. The universe of Man of Steel has a nice mix of fantastical elements that we could get Batman with his full rogue gallery in it. This movie would be ridiculously huge. Most importantly, with a Batman/Superman movie, you can still bring what both Batman Begins and Man of Steel do better than any other superhero movie, which is earning your emotional engagement. There is a chance of a great movie with a solid story and some amazing action.

I will begin hoping now.

Hype levels increasing!

Salsa

I wanna quote that but I fear i'll read the spoilers

anyway, being most similar to Begins is a damn good thing

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Very good to hear that it's shaping up to be well made.
Snyder is a competent director, and it looks like teaming up with a competent writing team has worked out for the better.

Thanks for the impressions Verendus.

Oh lawd I'm giddy as a schoolgirl. Ten years of Smallville and Superman Returns and now we're finally cooking.

Nuklear

Banned
"Best movie of the year" bullet reeks of fanboism and makes it hard to take the review seriously in original artcle.

Chichikov

That major spoiler in your post is very tempting... must not scroll over..
i'll put it in spoiler as well, but really, unless you're super sensitive, you should be okay with reading my post, it's like a meta² spoiler
he's talking about something that is not in the movie

I'm really not sure how people can consider this MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER.

Loxley

That is most definitely not a major spoiler. All it is is whether or not brief cameo that was rumored a few months back actually happens.

yeah forreal. I still remember hearing about WB executives crying at the end of TDKR and giving it like a 45 minute standing ovation.

what a disappointing and goofy film that turned out to be. they probably fell asleep until the ending and gauged their reaction on the last 5 minutes.

Regarding the blacked out MAJOR SPOILER in that cold-read reaction:

That John Blake didn't show up in a post credits stinger, or even as a quick scene tagged at the end of the movie proper, doesn't necessarily mean it still isn't planned: Sometimes those things are withheld from preview screenings specifically. Or in the case of the Avengers and the Shawarma scene, aren't even SHOT until just before prints/DCPs are about to be cloned and shipped out to theaters.

That's not to say it's absence means nothing. That rumor could have been, in fact, nothing but a rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom