• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 Wingdiver The Shooter (PS4 shmup) announced and new EDF5 pics

Rymuth

I approve of this spin-offication of the EDF franchise.

Now spin-off the giant robot section
Put in some light Dating-sim elements
With city destruction-based reward system
And call it R.A.D

T__T

bede-x

Too much love for the franchise to not immediately put this near the top of my must buy list, but I'd rather have a proper release date for EDF5.

I approve of this spin-offication of the EDF franchise.

Then you'll probably love EDF Tap Wars (it's crap).

duckroll

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201709/05141117.html

r4AMEaq.jpg

And EDF5:

vmP3eRa.jpg

Clive

This has the potential to be the greatest thing ever but those developers don't really give me confidence. Qute with their regular crew would have been a great developer for something like this with Eschatos kind of feeling like EDF in its "story" and Ginga Force doing a good job with freedom in the weapons loadouts like EDF.

Looking forward to hearing more about this. It's not like unknown devs can't make fantastic games. It happens every day. This one also likely has a little bit more financial muscle behind it than their regular mobile projects.

eastx

WingDiver: The Shooter came out in November and I just got it. Did anyone else pick it up?

It's a vertically scrolling widescreen 2.5D shmup. The classic EDF mechanics of collecting weapons and armor, and beating levels on each individual difficulty, are present. It's a lot of fun so far, although the cinematics often look bad because the developers didn't animate the Wing Divers very much. If you like EDF and shmups, you're very likely to enjoy it.

The price is 2980 Yen on the Japanese PSN Store, so you can use one 3000 Yen code to get it.

Last edited:

JP

WindDiver: The Shooting came out in November and I just got it. Did anyone else pick it up?

It's a vertically scrolling widescreen 2.5D shmup. The classic EDF mechanics of collecting weapons and armor, and beating levels on each individual difficulty, are present. It's a lot of fun so far, although the cinematics often look bad because the developers didn't animate the Wing Divers very much. If you like EDF and shmups, you're very likely to enjoy it.

The price is 2980 Yen on the Japanese PSN Store, so you can use one 3000 Yen code to get it.
I haven't yet, I more than likely will pretty soon though.

Here's a direct link for people looking for the game - 地球防衛軍4.1 WINGDIVER THE SHOOTER (Japanese PSN Store)

Here's a trailer of the game on YouTube - PS4
Everybody, with me now...EDF...STG...EDF...STG!!!

There's quite a bit of gameplay out there too.
(28.10)
;) (7:05:12)

Yep, so...EDF...STG...EDF...STG...SHOOOOOTAA!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

stranno

I will never understand why this series (the third person stuff, not this shmup) succeded.

The first and second games are probably the worst performance games ever seen in Playstation 2, by far (its like 5 frames per second every time you start a level and gets around 30 frames per second once half of the enemies are dead).

Well, at least the second one, Global Defense Force, have a few more stable ports in PSP and PSV.

JP

stranno stranno
I agree to a certain extent, they've never really run that well. I think they're generally a hell of a lot of fun to play though, even with the performance issues.

Top Bottom