• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force: World Brothers announced for PS4, Switch

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

D3 Publisher and developers Sandlot and Yuke’s have announced Earth Defense Force: World Brothers for PlayStation 4 and Switch. It will launch in 2020 in Japan.

Get the first details below.

The Voxel World of a Square Earth
A new battlefield for the Earth Defense Force series appears. The setting: a square Earth. Its name: The Round Earth has Become Square!? DigiVox Earth Defense Force: World Brothers (full title). The game is set in a voxel world where everything is made of squares. In this world, the Earth is naturally also square. But this square, peaceful Earth has been shattered to pieces and is in a state of disaster. However, whether round or square, this planet is undoubtedly Earth. And so the Earth Defense Force is dispatched across the world to restore it back to its natural, peaceful state.

Save the Shattered Earth
Can anybody survive on an Earth shattered to pieces? Well, in the world of Earth Defense Force, normal everyday people are the strongest beings. The shattered pieces of Earth are still alive and waiting to be rescued.
The cities around the world and their places become the game’s stages floating in the voids of space. Since the world has shattered to pieces, there are broken Earth boundary lines (huge cliffs) at the end of each stage.

A Legendary Gathering of Soldiers
The army branches and soldiers of previous Earth Defense Force titles have been urgently called to arms. The army branches from the original Earth Defense Force (Monster Attack) up until Earth Defense Force 5 will appear. The legendary land combat soldier and good ol’ Pale Wing, as well as the Fencer and Air Raider from Earth Defense Force 4, will all fight in the same unit.

Gather Up the Local Earth Defense Force Soldiers
Each area of the shattered Earth awaits the help of the Earth Defense Force. Areas have not only legendary members, but also local Earth Defense Force members called “Brothers.” Liberate each area and become companions with the Brothers all over the world. You can befriend over 100 soldiers. Can you recruit the soldiers scattered all over the world to form the strongest unit?

Legendary Enemies Also Appear
The invading enemies are also legendary status. The enemies, massive weapons, and massive monsters from previous Earth Defense Force games have all assembled, including Invaders, Foreigners, Primers, Ravagers, and Aggressors. Their goal should have been to procure the Earth… and yet for some reason they have shattered it. Look forward to a deepening mystery.
Key Features
  • A Voxel World Earth Defense Force – While the Earth Defense Force series has been photo-realistic until now, this voxel world is a bold new frontier for the series. If you are someone who gets disgusted by huge, realistic insects, or someone who may not be good with brutal depictions, this game will allow you to experience an Earth Defense Force in which you can wipe out swarms of huge enemies.
  • Create Your Own Earth Defense Force Unit – The soldiers of the Earth Defense Force are fighting alone in the various countries of the shattered world. By rescuing and assembling those soldiers, you can create your very own Earth Defense Force unit. For each mission, you can form and dispatch a team of four soldiers. While alternating between the soldiers in your unit, use each soldier’s special abilities to break through various different battle situations.
  • Earth Defense Force Soldiers from Previous Titles Assemble as Characters – Soldiers from the original Earth Defense Force (Monster Attack) up until Earth Defense Force 5, as well as army branches and characters from spin-off titles, will reappear as voxel soldiers. Many soldiers, weapons, and arms from previous games are included. It will be nostalgic to fans of the series, as well a solid entry point for newcomers, welcoming a wide range of players.
  • Enemies from Previous Titles Also Appear – In addition to soldiers, the invaders that have previously terrorized Earth will also cross realities and appear. Their voxel designs and gargantuan size are a must-see.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
What in the actual fuck have they done to EDF?

7GwxeaV.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Building your own squad sounds great (and potential for some awesome, broken team builds, I'm certain).

The destruction better be a huge step up from 4, though.

CamHostage

Hmmm... I'm not seeing anything special in the trailer yet. I'm in favor of a alternate, sillier take on EDF (EDF is of course deadly serious gaming,) but I can't tell if there's anything unique about the play? I see what maybe looks like a destructible building (can't tell if he's chipping away at it with the weapon?) and there's also a quick shot where I think they dig down in the ground (not sure though if they're digging or just falling into a hole?) And then in general, the bright/flat color pallete ends up up making everything all look the same and the graphics too busy. It looks low-res and blocky, but not stylized enough. Maybe when we see a full playthrough instead of a quick-cut trailer it'll gel better, but I didn't get the laughs and wants I was hoping for in seeing this game.

That said, at least it runs fast... those early PS2 game framerates, WOOF!!

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
there's also a quick shot where I think they dig down in the ground (not sure though if they're digging or just falling into a hole?)
I think they are falling off the map because the levels seem to be floating in the sky... I thought making this with voxels would mean more destruction or digging or even building stuff, but I don't see any of that in the trailer.

CamHostage

I think they are falling off the map because the levels seem to be floating in the sky... I thought making this with voxels would mean more destruction or digging or even building stuff, but I don't see any of that in the trailer.
Yeah, I am admittedly grasping at straws. Falling off the map is a feature listed, and that's what's happening; I thought the edge of the world had like a lip and that blue flash was him digging it down another level, but looking again, that's just the character transforming to the Wing Diver as they step off the edge.

There IS a shot though where he jumps back just before a giant bomb goes off, and you can see in the background two buildings getting leveled. Looks like they just pop into a damaged state rather than raining blocks down like I'd hope for from a chaotic EDF session though (I expected destructability to be a big feature too, and also part of the showboating in a trailer,) so it's still not selling me yet.

hjfD6Nm.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom