• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE X: GAME OF THE YEAR. AGAIN.

PhatSaqs said:
WTF is this game?

3rd person shooter. Each level you get tucked into a city(destructible buildings) and before you know it you're swarmed by giant ants, spiders, caterpillars, ufos, robots, godzilla, etc etc etc.

Nearly 80 stages of chaos + Splitscreen co-op + commando guy and jetpack girl + a bunch of awesome stuff = GOTY forever and ever

Oh yeah tons of weapons too. Machineguns, laser cannons, sniper rifles that send ants flying miles away, homing lasers that juggle enemies everywhere, rocket launchers, flamethrowers, all of it unlimited though some have longer(much longer) reload times than others. You can only carry two at a time so planning is essential.

PhatSaqs

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
3rd person shooter. Each level you get tucked into a city(destructible buildings) and before you know it you're swarmed by giant ants, spiders, caterpillars, ufos, robots, godzilla, etc etc etc.

Nearly 80 stages of chaos + Splitscreen co-op + commando guy and jetpack girl + a bunch of awesome stuff = GOTY forever and ever
Awesome description. Thanks. :lol

Blacklion

THIS...TITLE....NEEDS... A... US PUBLISHER...like pronto.

i mean if someone is gonna publish Bullet Witch here in he states
then why the hell not THIS!?

MidgarBlowedUp said:
QFT.

I thought a branch/part of D3 was coming to the US?
D3 Publisher does have a US branch operating currently, but they're mostly steering clear of Simple-series releases for the moment, thanks to SCEA's approval policies. However, they would be unwise to not bring EDFX here. :)

Brannon

This game is guaranteed a release in the US. A game in the vein of Lost Planet + urban chaos and gobs of weapons on a system that's selling like gangbusters in the US and like crap in Japan; THEY HAVE NO CHOICE!

GUARANTEED US RELEASE. I BET MY USERNAME ON IT.

(I would bet my tag, but something tells me the mods won't change it anytime soon...) :(

icecream

Public Health Threat
With the current trend of (almost) every Japanese 360 game with a remote chance of selling coming to the US, I'd say there's a good chance too.

Neo strikes again!

dammit im so excited we are actually seeing this game... this thread got me to stay up playing EDF2 all night last night. SO. ****ING. GOOD.

...now lets just hope for a stable framerate

duckroll

neo got to post it first because me and jiji are too busy DRIPPING IN SALIVA! Hosted pics coming out + full translation! :D

Edit:

l_ge_edf01.jpg

l_ge_edf02.jpg

l_ge_edf03.jpg

l_ge_edf04.jpg

l_ge_edf05.jpg

l_ge_edf06.jpg

l_ge_edf07.jpg

l_ge_edf08.jpg

l_ge_edf09.jpg

l_ge_edf10.jpg

l_ge_edf11.jpg

l_ge_edf12.jpg

l_ge_edf13.jpg

l_ge_edf14.jpg

Game details:

- Completely new timeline and continuity. NOT a sequel or remake for EDF1 or EDF2.
- The aliens are named as "Foreigners" by humanity
- You play as an EDF Commander, leading your own team into battle
- There will be other teams led by other Commanders, all controlled by AI
- With many allies as well as enemies, the battle scales are VERY epic
- Tons of vehicles and weapons like before, more to be announced later

PhatSaqs

Banned
duckroll said:
neo got to post it first because me and jiji are too busy DRIPPING IN SALIVA! Hosted pics coming out + full translation! :D

Edit:

[Game details:

- Completely new timeline and continuity. NOT a sequel or remake for EDF1 or EDF2.
- The aliens are named as "Foreigners" by humanity
- You play as an EDF Commander, leading your own team into battle
- There will be other teams led by other Commanders, all controlled by AI
- With many allies as well as enemies, the battle scales are VERY epic
- Tons of vehicles and weapons like before, more to be announced later
Looks decent enough.

Need videos.

Funky Papa said:
Wait, is this series that good? I always thought the PS2 games looked fairly average.
They "look" average because they're low-budget games. But play one (I suggest Global Defense Force or EDF2) and you'll see that it's all in the execution. :D

duckroll

They also look average because screenshots are usually from the earlier stages. The game really ramps up on the graphical side later in the game (as the framerate begins to drop to single digits too!) and I really found that the most impressive part of the game. For a game with over 70 missions, they kept it new and refreshing to the very ends.

EDFX shows that when Sandlot has a full price budget to work with on their darling franchise, they KNOW what to do. :D

Uncle Dukey said:
Uh oh, where's Pale Wing and multiplayer?

Pale Wing might or might not be in it, it's way too early to tell. But multiplayer is pretty much confirmed. The game has Xbox Live support, and I don't think Sandlot added the "multiple teams in each mission" gameplay concept just for single player. :D

Milhouse31 said:
Oh it doesnt look good but :

- It's a budget game
- Everything is destructible
- LOTS of enemies
- BIG ASS enemies
- FUN

and the MUSIC! it really feels like you are in an insane old invasion flick with giant ants and shit.. for a game with pretty low production values, it is extremely immersive

Bebpo

Banned
I'm so ****ed if there's no flying girl this time around. I didn't finish a single mission as the guy in EDF2 ^^;

Pics look good though. Excellent bump mapping and stuff on the UFOs and the ants have evil teeth to eat you with now.

I just hope the Squad isn't replacing 2 player co-op or online co-op with fake AI.

please include the girl please include the girl please include the girl

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
holy fap. i hope this squad stuff works out. and that the framerate is reasonably stable. and that pale wing is in there. and that i don't have to buy a japanese 360 to play it. :x

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Sugarman said:

And the best thing is - you can destroy the footbridge, you can destroy the buildings, you can shoot down the smaller ships, and you can annihilate that huge mothership, and it goes down and goes BOOM.

duckroll

Sandlot is very aware of the popularity of Pale Wing, so it would be very, very unusual if there are no Pale Wing units in EDFX. The official site opens in less than 9 hours now, so we'll see. I don't expect to get all the information at one go either, but they're tying up with Gyao (a Japanese streaming service) for a EDFX video newscast too, so maybe we'll have some FOOTAGE to look at too. :D

duckroll said:
Sandlot is very aware of the popularity of Pale Wing, so it would be very, very unusual if there are no Pale Wing units in EDFX. The official site opens in less than 9 hours now, so we'll see. I don't expect to get all the information at one go either, but they're tying up with Gyao (a Japanese streaming service) for a EDFX video newscast too, so maybe we'll have some FOOTAGE to look at too. :D

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

Bebpo

Banned
Why do the ant models look more detailed (TEETH!) in the in-game pics than the renders (which look like EDF2 but cleaner)?

Danj

duckroll said:
EDFX video newscast

So when is this happening? I went and looked in the Game section of the Gyao site but it's all Godhand promo videos and adverts for E3 2006 (wtf?!)

Funky Papa said:
Wait, is this series that good? I always thought the PS2 games looked fairly average.

It looks average yes, until you play it for a while and have your first "I just crapped my pants" moment, you get it and realize the game is one of the most impressive things you ever witnessed. It's just so impressive on a different technical/gameplay/hillariously-immersive level that screenshots, and even videos, don't do it justice.

It's like having sex, you just have to experience it to appreciate it.

Top Bottom