• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound 64 footage from Space World 1996

Bullet Club

A very small snippet of Mother 3 64 is shown at around the 10:30 mark of the video below.

There's also a bunch of other N64, PS, Saturn, SNES etc. games and accessories shown.

CPgXQSL.png

TTKec7C.png

tonr9lx.jpg

Now I need to go play Mother on my micro. Nintendo could just release the original games on Switch via download only and they would print money.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Now I need to go play Mother on my micro. Nintendo could just release the original games on Switch via download only and they would print money.

Nah, did you see Reggie when asked about it? Terrified, his eyes scanning the room for the nearest exit.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Oh man I remember those Nintendo Power pages so vividly. I can't think of any way to convey just how amazing Earthbound 64 seemed to anyone who wasn't a 13 year old who thought Earthbound was the best thing ever.

Yep. I remember the release date getting pushed back every couple of months in the magazine too. As someone that adored Earthbound as a kid, this is the most disappointing cancelled game for me.

My Big D

Banned
man had the 64 be a success and we wouldvee seen tons of great games we cant even imagine now, its actually crazy how much of a flop it was and how Nintendo saved its ass with Zelda and Mario alone

Meesh

man had the 64 be a success and we wouldvee seen tons of great games we cant even imagine now, its actually crazy how much of a flop it was and how Nintendo saved its ass with Zelda and Mario alone
Really I agree, I mean... that's mostly what I play on it still lol.

Let's not forget that animal crossing was supposed to be on the 64 too!!!

Crazy times.

Fuz

Banned
Looks pretty good. Great design and use of limited polygons.

Would look good even today, as an indie project.

Bullet Club

Kody "NOKOLO" has recently discovered new pictures of and information about MOTHER 3 on the Nintendo 64! Check out what he found and what new MOTHER 3 N64 information is coming soon!

Q18u6hT.jpg

NLWQAZu.jpg

dzRFbEQ.jpg

N64 such wasted potential, if they released this and that FF6 3D demo as full games, it might have stood a chance against the PS1, that's one thing N64 sorely lacked was JRPGs, where the PS1 dominated.

Gargus

Banned
I'd actually pay msrp for a switch game if Nintendo would release the earthbound games translated to English on a single cart kind of like collection of mana. Would be great if they had a bonus thing with all the info about earthbound 64 they can dig up.

Really I am tired of Nintendo same old franchises. This is the only thing I really want from them

baphomet

N64 such wasted potential, if they released this and that FF6 3D demo as full games, it might have stood a chance against the PS1, that's one thing N64 sorely lacked was JRPGs, where the PS1 dominated.

That Final Fantasy demo had nothing to do with the N64.

That Final Fantasy demo had nothing to do with the N64.

It's was a tech demo... to see what the N64 was capable of.
It was not. This demo had nothing to do with the N64, it was simply a test to see what Final Fantasy would look like in 3D, agnostic of platform. In fact, they decided against the N64 not because of storage space but because the system wasn't powerful enough for them.

Last edited:
It was not. This demo had nothing to do with the N64. In fact, they decided against the N64 not because of storage space but because the system wasn't powerful enough for them.

"This demo had nothing to do with the N64." How was it not? The links I provided stated "precursor to a new Final Fantasy title for the Nintendo 64 video game console". In other words the were testing the N64 hardware to see if a Final Fantasy game would be possible on that system. They ultimately decided against it due to cartridge limited storage space which led to the development on FF7 on Playstation. But like I said before this tech demo was testing N64 hardware capabilities, thus making "nothing to do with N64 statement" false.

"This demo had nothing to do with the N64." How was it not? The links I provided stated "precursor to a new Final Fantasy title for the Nintendo 64 video game console". In other words the were testing the N64 hardware to see if a Final Fantasy game would be possible on that system. They ultimately decided against it due to cartridge limited storage space which led to the development on FF7 on Playstation. But like I said before this tech demo was testing N64 hardware capabilities, thus making "nothing to do with N64 statement" false.
Read these interviews:

I don't got time to read all that, care to highlight the important bits?
Hironobu Sakaguchi: We knew Nintendo 64 and PlayStation were going to be the next hardware generation, and that we’d be developing our next game for one of them. It was similar to when we moved from the Famicom to the Super Famicom. Our first step wasn’t to choose between the two systems, but to focus on learning the Silicon Graphics workstations we had purchased. They were very expensive machines, and we made a demo on them to show people, “This is how Final Fantasy could look in 3D.”
Kazuyuki Hashimoto: Square planned to build a game for the next-gen Nintendo machine, but the [development] kit wasn’t available and the technical [specs kept changing]. So I suggested we could go with a standard environment and we could see what we could do with it. Then later on we could optimize this idea to the small machine. Initially, we could do something with the most powerful environment so we could be more free — free to figure out what we could do in 3D.

Hiroshi Kawai: I kind of had a suspicion that things weren’t going too well for the 64 at that point, because … one of my responsibilities … was to write performance applications that compared how well the 64 fared against the prototype [PlayStation]. And we’d be running parallel comparisons between the [PlayStation] where you’d have a bunch of 2D sprites bouncing off the screen and see how many polygons you could get within a 60th of a second. And even without any kind of texturing or any kind of lighting, it was less than 50% of what you would be able to get out of the [PlayStation]. Of course, the drawback of the [PlayStation] is it didn’t really have a z-buffer, so you’d have these overlapping polygons that you’d have to work around so that you wouldn’t get the shimmering [look]. But on the other hand, there was no way you’d be able to get anything close to what FF7 was doing [on PlayStation] on the 64 at that time.

There was actually this one trip that [Nintendo] organized for me, [main programmer Ken] Narita-san, a few other lead devs who were working on the battle portion for the Final Fantasy 6 [Siggraph] demo at that point. … I think Nintendo had been getting signals from Square saying, you know, “Your hardware isn’t up to snuff. Not only in terms of raw 3D performance, but in terms of storage.” And they said, “We’re gonna fabricate this brand new chip,” which was supposed to have a bunch of hardware improvements to get a little bit more performance. Which, my suspicion is they probably just repeated that verbatim from SGI, and I think there was, in general, a disconnect between SGI and Nintendo in terms of what they were expecting the hardware to do. SGI was probably talking more along theoretical lines of what the hardware would be able to do, and they were trying to make it general purpose so that it wasn’t just a 3D rendering machine. But Nintendo had certain specific performance metrics that had to be met, but I don’t think those were communicated well to SGI.

The wires just — they weren’t in sync there. So they sent us down to Mountain View, and I took all that code I was writing for the Shoshinkai to run on the [latest prototype] hardware there. And it didn’t really change in terms of performance.
Hiroshi Kawai: We spent a few days, I remember, optimizing my code, to try to get a few more polygons out, but it didn’t really make much of a difference. And upon returning to Tokyo, there was a meeting with me, Narita-san, Sakaguchi-san and the major stakeholder of Square, Miyamoto-san. And I had never seen [Miyamoto in person before then]. He just comes in. “OK so, how was it?” And I gave a few figures when asked, but Narita-san was the main person who was talking. And he was essentially saying, “We’re just not getting the performance. We’re nowhere near what we did during the Siggraph demo.” Miyamoto-san just silently acknowledged that, and I didn’t hear anything from them until the point when Sakaguchi-san called [the office] together and said, “We’re not doing the 64 anymore.” So yeah. I guess in a sense, I kind of provided the objective data to say that the 64 wasn’t suitable for the next-gen Final Fantasy.
Shinichiro Kajitani: At that time, Square was really close to Nintendo — we were basically like a second party for them. So when their new system was in development, we gave them lots of advice, like, “You’re going to need a CD-ROM drive for it,” “You don’t have enough bandwidth to do what we’re trying to do,” and, “With what you have now, we’re not going to be able to make an RPG.” We gave them lots of advice. But [Nintendo president] Yamauchi-san at Nintendo basically refused to listen to any of it. And that’s when Sakaguchi-san and the management team at Square decided, “OK, we’re going to go with Sony now.”

It is a really fantastic set of interviews, anyone interested even a little in FFVII should read it.

Hironobu Sakaguchi: We knew Nintendo 64 and PlayStation were going to be the next hardware generation, and that we’d be developing our next game for one of them. It was similar to when we moved from the Famicom to the Super Famicom. Our first step wasn’t to choose between the two systems, but to focus on learning the Silicon Graphics workstations we had purchased. They were very expensive machines, and we made a demo on them to show people, “This is how Final Fantasy could look in 3D.”
Kazuyuki Hashimoto: Square planned to build a game for the next-gen Nintendo machine, but the [development] kit wasn’t available and the technical [specs kept changing]. So I suggested we could go with a standard environment and we could see what we could do with it. Then later on we could optimize this idea to the small machine. Initially, we could do something with the most powerful environment so we could be more free — free to figure out what we could do in 3D.

Hiroshi Kawai: I kind of had a suspicion that things weren’t going too well for the 64 at that point, because … one of my responsibilities … was to write performance applications that compared how well the 64 fared against the prototype [PlayStation]. And we’d be running parallel comparisons between the [PlayStation] where you’d have a bunch of 2D sprites bouncing off the screen and see how many polygons you could get within a 60th of a second. And even without any kind of texturing or any kind of lighting, it was less than 50% of what you would be able to get out of the [PlayStation]. Of course, the drawback of the [PlayStation] is it didn’t really have a z-buffer, so you’d have these overlapping polygons that you’d have to work around so that you wouldn’t get the shimmering [look]. But on the other hand, there was no way you’d be able to get anything close to what FF7 was doing [on PlayStation] on the 64 at that time.

There was actually this one trip that [Nintendo] organized for me, [main programmer Ken] Narita-san, a few other lead devs who were working on the battle portion for the Final Fantasy 6 [Siggraph] demo at that point. … I think Nintendo had been getting signals from Square saying, you know, “Your hardware isn’t up to snuff. Not only in terms of raw 3D performance, but in terms of storage.” And they said, “We’re gonna fabricate this brand new chip,” which was supposed to have a bunch of hardware improvements to get a little bit more performance. Which, my suspicion is they probably just repeated that verbatim from SGI, and I think there was, in general, a disconnect between SGI and Nintendo in terms of what they were expecting the hardware to do. SGI was probably talking more along theoretical lines of what the hardware would be able to do, and they were trying to make it general purpose so that it wasn’t just a 3D rendering machine. But Nintendo had certain specific performance metrics that had to be met, but I don’t think those were communicated well to SGI.

The wires just — they weren’t in sync there. So they sent us down to Mountain View, and I took all that code I was writing for the Shoshinkai to run on the [latest prototype] hardware there. And it didn’t really change in terms of performance.
Hiroshi Kawai: We spent a few days, I remember, optimizing my code, to try to get a few more polygons out, but it didn’t really make much of a difference. And upon returning to Tokyo, there was a meeting with me, Narita-san, Sakaguchi-san and the major stakeholder of Square, Miyamoto-san. And I had never seen [Miyamoto in person before then]. He just comes in. “OK so, how was it?” And I gave a few figures when asked, but Narita-san was the main person who was talking. And he was essentially saying, “We’re just not getting the performance. We’re nowhere near what we did during the Siggraph demo.” Miyamoto-san just silently acknowledged that, and I didn’t hear anything from them until the point when Sakaguchi-san called [the office] together and said, “We’re not doing the 64 anymore.” So yeah. I guess in a sense, I kind of provided the objective data to say that the 64 wasn’t suitable for the next-gen Final Fantasy.
Shinichiro Kajitani: At that time, Square was really close to Nintendo — we were basically like a second party for them. So when their new system was in development, we gave them lots of advice, like, “You’re going to need a CD-ROM drive for it,” “You don’t have enough bandwidth to do what we’re trying to do,” and, “With what you have now, we’re not going to be able to make an RPG.” We gave them lots of advice. But [Nintendo president] Yamauchi-san at Nintendo basically refused to listen to any of it. And that’s when Sakaguchi-san and the management team at Square decided, “OK, we’re going to go with Sony now.”

It is a really fantastic set of interviews, anyone interested even a little in FFVII should read it.

I bolded the parts pertaining to the subject. 1. First of all, "Nothing to do with N64" is false. it's repeatedly stated that N64 was heavily under consideration. 2. A tech demo is exactly that, a demonstration of what FF would look like on N64 hardware. 3. Storage space and bandwidth was ultimately the deciding factor why they went PlayStation instead. Nothing I didn't know already.

Maybe I am in a minority, but I am glad Mother 3 ultimately skipped the Nintendo 64, taking the aging of the N64 titles into consideration. And yet, there is a certain curiosity of what could have been.

That fans have not been able to get their hand on a official localization of the Game Boy Advance game is absolutely disgraceful. At least give the people that.

Top Bottom