• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound Creator says something is in the works

NSider

tumblr_loal57yTbj1qbnd1c1.gif.gif

TreIII

I'm reminded of this exchange...

Me: I would be remiss in not telling you that some of my writers would like to play another Advance Wars and they would someday like to play Mother 3 in America… [Note: Iwata writes something down] … Whenever I ask Reggie about Mother 3, he says, ‘ask Mr. Iwata.'"

Iwata: [in English]: "Just yesterday, before I left from Japan, I met with Mr. Itoi, who is the creator of the Earthbound series. [laughs]"

Me: "Oh, I know. Are we ever going to get it?"

Iwata: "And, yeah, accidentally we were discussing that there are huge fans from Western countries for the Mother series [laughs].

Me: "So, someday? Someday?" [I stand up to shake his hand]

Iwata: "[laughs] Thank you. Great to see you!"
- http://kotaku.com/5935721/super-mar...h-mr-video-game-and-wont-deceive-you-with-dlc

And this was just a few months ago...

Aeana

Visual Boy Advance, get to it.

VBA suffers from the latency issues.

Your best bet with emulation is Mednafen with the sound buffer set really low, but it's still not as quick as real hardware. I've been wondering if the GBA support that byuu is adding to BSNES will solve this once and for all, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
i would really love to see iwata & him talk, they're supposed to be good buddies. did he ever do an iwata asks with itoi? ive been meaning to go through the archives, i know i've missed some good ones.

Itoi and Miyamoto on Mario's 25th anniversary and the "essence of Mario"
Iwata, Miyamoto and Itoi on Zelda's 25th anniversary and a whoooole lot of other crap
Iwata, Miyamoto and Itoi on the philosophy behind 3DS

and some non-Iwata Asks stuff

Itoi interviewing Iwata for Hobonichi (2007)
Translated Weekly Famitsu interview with Itoi/Iwata from 1997 (EB64!)

There are a bunch more untranslated ones on Hobonichi about all sorts of things, but most of them are really long and you can never guarantee that they're ever gonna cover the topics they're supposed to pertain to, hence why people are so hesitant to translate 'em.

TreIII

Not sure if it would be the same without him.

I'd like to think that as long as he was in a sort of supervisory role and properly vetted the new writer(s), the series could get along fine without him. And could continue to, even if he opted to never return to the series again.

I mean, if Fire Emblem was killed off just because Shouzou Kaga opted out, that would have been a sad loss for those who love the series. Likewise, I'd love to see more Mother games, as long as they adhered to the quality standard set by the original trilogy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How would they pull off another Mother game though? Does it require a psychological experience to make one?

PK Gaming

welp I just realized something

if it does come out, its guaranteed to be worse than the originals.

i'm not being pessimistic, Earthbound is filled legal issues so even if it does get a released, some of the songs will need changes :(

(The music is one of Earthbounds best qualities)

rpmurphy

i'm not being pessimistic, Earthbound is filled legal issues so even if it does get a released, some of the songs will need changes :(

Mother 2 has those legal issues, but Mother probably won't have much to worry about right?

Teknoman

I dont think it would be any of the awesome original themes though. Who would miss that crazy bat music anyway? As long as the boss, towns, dungeons, and attack slug shock troops are still in, shouldnt be a problem.

iirate

I dont think it would be any of the awesome original themes though. Who would miss that crazy bat music anyway? As long as the boss, towns, dungeons, and attack slug shock troops are still in, shouldnt be a problem.

Yeah, I'd hear some new themes and would be all "that's sorta strange", but then everything else that makes the game magic would still be there and I wouldn't care.

backlot

And different always = worse, right?

PK Gaming

Worse was too strong of a word

objectively the remake might be better if its just the new game + extra content. Its just that the loss of some of the best songs might hurt game for me.

urfe

I got the Japanese GBA games (Mother 1 + 2, Mother 3), and they're the only reason I still have my DSLite lying around.

I've loved to play remade versions fit to the 3DS screen.

Mother 3 would look amazing on the 3DS LL screen.

Davey Cakes

It's two songs and an enemy name. That's it. And while they can make two new songs, they can also just replace the old ones with other songs that are already in the game. And changing "Dali's Clock" to "Crazed Clock" or something won't really hurt things.

Sandfox

Its possible we may get whatever they make given they haven't done anything with Earthbound since the GBA era and if its timed close enough to the next Smash Bros that might boost the sales potential.

Mother 2 has those legal issues, but Mother probably won't have much to worry about right?

This was always one of my questions. Ok, Mother 1 was fully translated, but never released (this is the famed dumped version on the net right?) So, why exactly hasn't Ninty released it on VC? What prevents it? Also, Earthbound Zero is the name established by the dumpers (team star force if I'm correct), can Nintendo even call it by that name? Would it be called Earthbound Classic or EB: The Beginning, etc?

PK Gaming

It's two songs and an enemy name. That's it. And while they can make two new songs, they can also just replace the old ones with other songs that are already in the game. And changing "Dali's Clock" to "Crazed Clock" or something won't really hurt things.

oh really??

for some reason, I thought it was a lot more than that. silly me!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Honestly I don't know if the internet could handle the full localization of the entire Mother series.
It's been at the forefront of raging fan complaints for so many years, that people would need to find a new purpose in life. And Duke Nukem Forever is already out.... so where does that leave us!?

DJIzana

WiiU HD remakes incoming.

If this is true. This is like the equivalent of Versus XIII getting announced, for me. The hype would be THAT good.

I don't want a 3DS re-release as they already have a GBA compilation of it. They don't need to put it out again just as another cash cow... do something different! :D

Mit-

I don't want a 3DS re-release as they already have a GBA compilation of it. They don't need to put it out again just as another cash cow... do something different! :D
They DO need to put it out so that it can be properly released in America >:[

You know what I'm gonna go along with "whatever it is it's Japan-only." Itoi should've clarified this as well when he stated it wasn't Mother 4.

Top Bottom