• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound Fans Have Had it - MOTHER 3 Translation

Jonk

Many of you know that Mother 3 has been out since late April and there has not been a single piece of news in bringing it over to North America or even Europe. NOA has decided to remain silent and has turned down to fully answer any questions on Mother 3 for this side of the world. Six plus months have passed since the Japanese release and no word.

Recently Starmen.net has decided to advance on the problem. After recent news (PGC on NOA), thanks to the post here at NeoGAF, Starmen.net plans to translate MOTHER 3 since NOA isnt doing jack. Read the link below to see the extensive nature the site is going to go and the talent they aleady have under their belt.

DIGG IT! as well

We, as EarthBound fans have been patient, calm and waited with Zen like patience, but since NOA has stated that they dont care at all for EarthBound, we can't wait any longer.

Alex

Really pathetic state of affairs.

Incoming Magical Starsign, 6.0 fodder, 15k NPD publish, lolz

Well, good luck to them on the translation. I'm very interested, at least.

I really don't know if I'd want to play a game that's been translated by fans. I'd always feel like I was playing like...a fake game.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
How much would it cost Nintendo to get a few people to translate this damn game? Its ****ing free money after that. Unbelievable.

I've never played an earthbound game, and have absolutely no idea what its about, but its clear theres a significant demans for it, and the decision not to bring it over seems illogical.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Neo_ZX said:
They should have kept their mouths shut until later. Cease and desist imminent.

I was under the impression that there would be no legal basis for a C&D.

Nintendo are a very profitable company. I don't think people are in a position to tell them how to go about making cash. I imagine they haven't localised it because they don't think the market exists for an RPG on GBA that isn't Final Fantasy

Alex

TheGreatDave said:
Nintendo are a very profitable company. I don't think people are in a position to tell them how to go about making cash. I imagine they haven't localised it because they don't think the market exists for an RPG on GBA that isn't Final Fantasy

This is a better example of what a true N fan would post; taking it up the ass for a big corps profit margains. Not silly stuff like wanting something other than a mini game collection, or an elaborate gimmick, no that's bullshit.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Eh, I played Chapter 1 of Mother 3, and it left me...I dunno. My Japanese isn't perfect and it's only the intro to the game but I dunno. Plus,
it made a tear go down my face. Wtf.

Meier

TheGreatDave said:

It isn't about profit in this case.. it's about doing what's right for fans who've wanted something for a long time. Ideally they'd release a Mother 1-3 compilation for DS with touchscreen support.. but that isn't going to happen naturally. It's really ****ing lame how NoA has treated the Earthbound series -- not to mention baffling. They passed on Fire Emblem forever and a day here but then finally released it and sales have been great across the board. Why they wont do it with this is mind-boggling.

loosus

Banned
Mother fans are so zealous that you just want to see them crash and burn. It'd be awesome if, around when the project was about 75%, Nintendo announced that it'd be releasing an official version like a month before the unofficial one were complete. Then, about a week later, they could change their minds again and not make it. And that same day, they could put a big, fat cease-and-desist order on the translators. I would stay up late for that good ol' entertainment!

Jonk

Mother3.org has had problems in their project. Their project is entirely unrelated. Starmen.net's team has much more credibility.

BTW Hemberger, Shut the hell up fartface.

I bet Amir0x volunteers to do the translation even though he probably doesn't know Japanese. He will write what he thinks they are saying.

Great news. But what happened to that other guy who hacked his own text into the game perfectly really early on and then put some kind of ultimatum on him revealing his technique for translation teams to use or something? He's not the one involved with the rom patching here, is he?

mCACGj

You know, it's sad. I don't get it. I've been going to earthbound.net since it was first started. I've loved Earthbound since it has come out. I don't get why they don't just god damn f'n translate it. With that said, this is a huge statement for starmen.net to do this. They're very strict with roms and what not, and this is a real, true statement which will hopefully somehow catch NoA's eye.

Good work guys, but will Nintendo shut this project down if it finds out about it?

Deadbone

Fans give games like Mother a cult status. All Nintendo has to do is recognise the game is popular outside japan and make some plans to localising it. (Just look at the prices going for SNES versions of earthbound, duuuh. Prices have been steady for years) Its not as though they dont have money to throw at a poject like this. Why don't they pull the finger out and make it happen, at lest in one western region. Hopefully a DS version might see the light of day. What about Earthbound for download on the Wii? Give us something, considering how many crappy low selling games are out there. Aagghhhhh.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I dunno, reading starman.net, I would not trust these guys with a translation...

Alex said:
This is a better example of what a true N fan would post; taking it up the ass for a big corps profit margains. Not silly stuff like wanting something other than a mini game collection, or an elaborate gimmick, no that's bullshit.
Well, it's sure a hell of a lot more realstic and healthy way to look at it. :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I Am Error said:
I bet Amir0x volunteers to do the translation even though he probably doesn't know Japanese. He will write what he thinks they are saying.

i hear the superior version was on n64.

Baryn

Banned
This kind of thing warms my heart. :)

I also feel sad that Nintendo hates RPGs. :(

RevenantKioku said:
Well, it's sure a hell of a lot more realstic and healthy way to look at it. :p
Realistic and healthy never got anything interesting done.

No.1

As much as I'd like to see it released outside of Japan, Nintendo are probably looking at maintaining a profit by just keeping it within Japan.

If you look at Earthbound when it was first released in the US, it received some heavy advertisement (cutting into Nintendo's wallets) and bombed just the same. RPGs are typically very hard to target to gamers these days, and judging from previous efforts, the game wouldn't sell that well - it's a very out-there series, its visual appearance isn't approachable to all and it's on a dying console (in terms of new releases).

MoxManiac

TheGreatDave said:
I really don't know if I'd want to play a game that's been translated by fans. I'd always feel like I was playing like...a fake game.

This is pretty silly. There have been some great translations. For example, the FFV SFC fan translation was leaps and bounds over the PSX one (How embarassing for square)

No.1 said:
As much as I'd like to see it released outside of Japan, Nintendo are probably looking at maintaining a profit by just keeping it within Japan.

If you look at Earthbound when it was first released in the US, it received some heavy advertisement (cutting into Nintendo's wallets) and bombed just the same. RPGs are typically very hard to target to gamers these days, and judging from previous efforts, the game wouldn't sell that well - it's a very out-there series, its visual appearance isn't approachable to all and it's on a dying console (in terms of new releases).

Then why block companies like Atlus from putting it out there?

RevenantKioku

MoxManiac said:
This is pretty silly. There have been some great translations. For example, the FFV SFC fan translation was leaps and bounds over the PSX one (How embarassing for square)
The PSX one was pretty ****ing terrible, but I wouldn't go that far.
Fan translations, 90% of the time just have this icky feeling to them.

Alex said:

For the record, I don't want the game at all. I'd probably buy it if it came, but I'm not excited in any way over the possibility. My objection is when people make stupid statements like "If Nintendo were smart, they'd bring it over, it'll sell!" when, in reality, Nintendo are in a much better position to make that judgement call then GAF. But I'm not exactly happy or sad about it.

I'm not taking it up the ass because I can look at something logically rather than "OMG, Nintendo are retards!"

MoxManiac said:

I'm sure there have been. But I'd still feel a bit weird about it. In something like Sin and Punishment, I've enjoyed fan translations, but with an RPG it's hard to capture the tone.

RevenantKioku said:
The PSX one was pretty ****ing terrible, but I wouldn't go that far.
Fan translations, 90% of the time just have this icky feeling to them.

Well, they got people who are experienced with the whole thing. Starmen.net themselves aren't really too involved.

RevenantKioku

DarknessTear said:
Well, they got people who are experienced with the whole thing. Starmen.net themselves aren't really too involved.
Experienced in what, translating? Most people who are really good at translating spend their time doing it to get paid.
It's not impossible, mind you. I just have very little faith in fan translations, especially when doing something like Mother.

hmm Let me just say
Starman.net has been not only AGAINST a fan traslation of Mother 3 since the game was realeased, but the fan-translation from MOTHER3.org is going to finish fairly soon. They have nearly all of the game translated already and are ready to start insterting the text before long

I love starman.net as a site, but They has opposed the Mother3.org project since it started because they didn't want it to stop people from potentially buying the NA version if we ever got one. I think its odd that now THEY want to do it, with another site's project being completed.

Andonuts

This is pretty good news. It seems like they've gotten about ideal a team as possible to do a fan translation. One of my friends who uh, has some contacts in the Japanese gaming industry has been telling me to hold out based on a "hunch" that the US will see a localized released of Mother 3 at some point relatively soon. But I don't really believe him, and I am glad that a competent fan translation is now in the works.

Big Earthbound fan UIH if my username didn't give it away :D

RevenantKioku said:
Experienced in what, translating? Most people who are really good at translating spend their time doing it to get paid.
It's not impossible, mind you. I just have very little faith in fan translations, especially when doing something like Mother.
The guy behind the Starmen translation is a professional translator if I recall correctly, and he knows Mother back-to-front. I'd trust him as much as I'd trust the guys that translated Earthbound. The current team at Treehouse would probably be preferable, though, seeing as they're currently just about the best in the business. But they might've censored pieces here and there.

buckfutter said:
The guy behind the Starmen translation is a professional translator if I recall correctly, and he knows Mother back-to-front. I'd trust him as much as I'd trust the guys that translated Earthbound. The current team at Treehouse would probably be preferable, though, seeing as they're currently just about the best in the business. But they might've censored pieces here and there.
since you seem to know. What changed the minds of the starmen.net people and WHY do this when the Mother3.org project is nearing completion. Iheard alot about sparks flying between the two sites Do they just feel if they dont do it, its just not done right?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
RevenantKioku said:

The main translator IS a professional translator. The fact that he's a huge fan of the game (and that there won't be a paranoid Nintendo hovering over his shoulder, trying to maintain a family-friendly non-controversial image) means that I have a lot more faith in his translation than what Nintendo would do.

Jonk

BobtheFork,

Starmen.net was giving Nintendo some credit where it was due and allow them a window of time to announce a translation. Starmen.net wont jump the gun where it isnt needed. We all want the game, but we have a little professional respect. Since they decided to say, NO WAY on Mother 3, then we are going to take care of what we have been waiting for and what they should have done. Starmen.net has received an official response. If SMN received this official response back in may, the site would have started then. As you see now, the statements have been made.

As far as Mother 3.org goes, they do not have the expertise that we do and the crew that will deliver the package. They may have a translation done and I will congradulate them for that, but will it be the best, unfortunately I would say no, but it will be worthwhile. As far as the relationship of the two sites, many of the people working on the project, ACTUALLY working hard on it are good people and we respect them greatly. There are a couple in Mother3.org that are the people that have caused a tense relationship at times. Overall, Starmen.net is in support of any translation.

BobTheFork said:
since you seem to know. What changed the minds of the starmen.net people and WHY do this when the Mother3.org project is nearing completion. Iheard alot about sparks flying between the two sit,ts not done right? is. Do they just feel if they dont do it
I haven't really been keeping up, but I think the Starmen forums put a lockdown on people discussing any fan translation up until a certain date. A couple of these people were saying that they would do a translation if they didn't think it might harm the chances of Nintendo doing an official one. But the date came up and now we have confirmation that NoA barely seems to acknowledge the game's existence, so I think they're just fed up. There was a bit of friction between the Mother3.org people and Starmen, but this isn't some "Oh yeah?! Well we can translate it too!" thing. They seem to think they can do a better job, and they probably can, at a guess.

Strangely enough I was looking around at the InsertCredit forums and back in September Tim Rogers dropped a hint that NoE might actually be translating the game themselves. But that's Tim Rogers, the compulsive liar with verbal diarrhoea.

P.S. Jonk beat me and he knows more about this than I do.

Jonk said:
BobtheFork,

Starmen.net was giving Nintendo some credit where it was due and allow them a window of time to announce a translation. Starmen.net wont jump the gun where it isnt needed. We all want the game, but we have a little professional respect. Since they decided to say, NO WAY on Mother 3, then we are going to take care of what we have been waiting for and what they should have done. Starmen.net has received an official response. If SMN received this official response back in may, the site would have started then. As you see now, the statements have been made.

As far as Mother 3.org goes, they do not have the expertise that we do and the crew that will deliver the package. They may have a translation done and I wil congradulate them for that, but will it be the best, I do not think so.
Ok, That first part is veryfair. However I think that second part is kind of crappy to say. I don't think its fair to say that when noone has seen their translation yet. I can't even begin to speak about the expertise of two groups of people i don't know, so I'll have to take your word. They are a group of dedicated mother3 fans, and I feel they will be very true to the game you love. Not trying to be a dick, but I don't think its right to say you guys have them beat when it sounds like you haven't started yet. Love the site though

Edit: yeah about NoE: theres really only that one scan that was never confirmed. They were calling the game's hero Tess O-o for some reason though, so that scared me on a NoE translation right there

RevenantKioku

Chairman Yang said:
The main translator IS a professional translator. The fact that he's a huge fan of the game (and that there won't be a paranoid Nintendo hovering over his shoulder, trying to maintain a family-friendly non-controversial image) means that I have a lot more faith in his translation than what Nintendo would do.
Pro translator good. Huge fan not so much.
But thankfully it's not like I need this anyway.

Jonk

Bob,

You responded before I added my additional comments to the second part of the previous response. Here you go.

As far as Mother 3.org goes, they do not have the expertise that we do and the crew that will deliver the package. They may have a translation done and I wil congradulate them for that, but will it be the best, unfortunately I would say no, but it will be worthwhile. As far as the relationship of the two sites, many of the people working on the project, ACTUALLY working hard on it are good people and we respect them greatly. There are a couple in Mother3.org that are the people that have caused a tense relationship at times. Overall, Starmen.net is in support of any translation.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, they need to pool their resources, it seems like a waste for two groups to translate the same game. Besides, more effort can go into the translation then, therefore hopefully attaining higher quality.

Atlagev

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, they need to pool their resources, it seems like a waste for two groups to translate the same game. Besides, more effort can go into the translation then, therefore hopefully attaining higher quality.

Starmen.net has the best team possible. They don't need anyone else.

No offense to mother3.org, but I'm sure starmen.net's translation/hacking will be of higher quality.

Top Bottom