Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Member
Mar 26, 2007
128,989
1
0
MA
twitter.com
Vincent Alexander said:
I've never used twitter in my life. Do I have to have an account to say something? I'll make one if I have to either way. I can spare a minute to let her know she is doing a terrible job.
Yea, it's easy. Just need an email and pw and a username.
 

duk

Banned
May 10, 2006
8,487
0
0
my sis in koichi says they have 2nd tsunami warning in effect right now :(((((((((((

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Dec 12, 2007
1,969
0
0
thebaroness said:
Seriously why is there a whirlpool?! How did a tsunami cause a whirlpool, one of those naturally occurring things that's always really freaked me out.
Fast moving water flowing over a suberged object. Given the size it is proably a maelstrom.
 

GCX

Member
Oct 22, 2007
9,068
1
925
Al Jazeera's coverage is so much better than anyone elses.

This is heartbreaking stuff. :(
 

·feist·

Member
Nov 26, 2006
3,551
0
0
Yeah, I've been watching that NHK stream for a few hours now, along with AJ, feeds and TV. This isn't helping.


Hazaro said:
Thanks, but I am strongly considering sleep.
The problem is that I feel there will be another strong quake relatively soon...
Second quake this week. Aftershocks in the 6s and 7s, larger than the Haiti quake...

Totally understandable.



Morn said:
Can we shut down CNN now? They are so damn stupid tonight.

The Mr. Miyagi reference was facepalm epic.
Mr. Miyagi? Wow.
 

Zeal

Banned
Feb 11, 2007
3,528
0
0
i really feel detached and numbed from humanity when people attempt to come in and make jokes about such things. it makes me sad.
 

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Jun 12, 2004
7,930
5
0
42
Morn said:
Can we shut down CNN now? They are so damn stupid tonight.

The Mr. Miyagi reference was facepalm epic.
Fox News has been pretty decent. Just trying to get information out so people in affected tsunami zone can take precautions.
 

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jun 7, 2009
78,147
0
0
Going to go to sleep now. Told myself that half an hour ago but I have school.

Stay safe, everyone who's about to get hit and those hit already.
 
Sep 13, 2007
11,024
0
0
Does anyone know where can I find out how far inland is considered safe in the SF bay area? I don't want to disturb any of my friends at this hour, but if my apartment is in danger of flooding I want to transport my art and personal possessions.
 

CF_Fighter

Member
Oct 26, 2008
3,675
0
0
Ugh, CNN anchor just said Taiwan was next in the "firing line". Does she just have no scruples when making her statements.
 
Yamanashi Japan gaf member checking in,

I live about 120km away from Tokyo but it still was a big enough quake to mess shit up around where I live. I haven't felt something so strong since the San Francisco quake back when I was a kid...

I just now got online as I had to ride my bike to my parent in law's house. All the roads are full of unmoving traffic...

The power, gas, and electricity were all knocked out in my town. The initial earthquake shook violently here for over a minute. My wife and I are uninjured but I can't say the same for most of the eastern coastline of Japan. I just turned on the TV and I can't believe how bad it really was! My prayers go out to the rest of Japan and Japan gaf.

The next few days and weeks are going to be long and hard. I pray no more large aftershocks hit us. I've already felt at least 4...
 
Jan 31, 2011
7,903
0
0
CT
CF_Fighter said:
Ugh, CNN anchor just said Taiwan was next in the "firing line". Does she just have no scruples when making her statements.
It's just how western slang works. This lady who's on right now is a lot better than the one who was on before.
 

Ravidrath

Member
Jun 8, 2005
10,390
0
0
41
Los Angeles, CA
Some fucking CNN fuckers better get fired over the Mr. Miyagi and kaiju jokes.

Keyser Soze said:
YEN plummeting, Nikkei has dropped nearly 5%. Not hugely important right now, but still will affect worldwide stuff in coming days.
This is also disgusting - can't they suspend this from the currency market?

With the yen worth less, it's going to make the clean-up and rebuilding even more expensive.
 

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jun 6, 2004
74,323
3
0
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Does anyone know where can I find out how far inland is considered safe in the SF bay area? I don't want to disturb any of my friends at this hour, but if my apartment is in danger of flooding I want to transport my art and personal possessions.
I'd like to know too. I want to assume I'm safe but it feels like anything could happen at this point
 
Jul 30, 2008
13,614
1
805
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Does anyone know where can I find out how far inland is considered safe in the SF bay area? I don't want to disturb any of my friends at this hour, but if my apartment is in danger of flooding I want to transport my art and personal possessions.
According to one of the seismologists, as long as you are more than 15 miles inland, should be fine.
 

bean breath

Member
Feb 8, 2005
17,310
0
1,215
Jswanko said:
tsunami warning for bay area "imminent" Im a little worried now
Do you remember those apartments in Pacifica that were in danger last year? Haven't kept up with the story but hopefully they've been closed down.

 

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Oct 30, 2006
16,740
0
1,195
Upsidedown Fuji said:
Yamanashi Japan gaf member checking in,

I live about 120km away from Tokyo but it still was a big enough quake to mess shit up around where I live. I haven't felt something so strong since the San Francisco quake back when I was a kid...

I just now got online as I had to ride my bike to my parent in law's house. All the roads are full of unmoving traffic...

The power, gas, and electricity were all knocked out in my town. The initial earthquake shook violently here for over a minute. My wife and I are uninjured but I can't say the same for most of the eastern coastline of Japan. I just turned on the TV and I can't believe how bad it really was! My prayers go out to the rest of Japan and Japan gaf.

The next few days and weeks are going to be long and hard. I pray no more large aftershocks hit us. I've already felt at least 4...
good to hear you're safe, i'm hoping no one from gaf is affected too badly :(
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
DM_Uselink said:
Fuck, my girlfriend is in SF... Hoping for everyone's safety in the warning areas!
You'll be happy to know that unless she's on like... right on the west coastal area of SF, that she should be perfectly fine. Most of SF is really high above the water level, and at the very least, simulations of increased water levels through global warming demonstrate as much.

http://flood.firetree.net/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.