• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Emergency Broadcast System is interrupting TV channels now in the bay area at least :(

Expected waves at 8:08am in San Francisco.

LiK

Vincent Alexander said:
I've never used twitter in my life. Do I have to have an account to say something? I'll make one if I have to either way. I can spare a minute to let her know she is doing a terrible job.
Yea, it's easy. Just need an email and pw and a username.

duk

Banned
my sis in koichi says they have 2nd tsunami warning in effect right now :(((((((((((

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
thebaroness said:
Seriously why is there a whirlpool?! How did a tsunami cause a whirlpool, one of those naturally occurring things that's always really freaked me out.

Fast moving water flowing over a suberged object. Given the size it is proably a maelstrom.

Wazzim

Banned
Expected, they may be lucky if this was the big one which experts have been waiting on. Still fucking terible though, good luck to anyone in the area.

Yeah, I've been watching that NHK stream for a few hours now, along with AJ, feeds and TV. This isn't helping.

Hazaro said:
Thanks, but I am strongly considering sleep.
The problem is that I feel there will be another strong quake relatively soon...
Second quake this week. Aftershocks in the 6s and 7s, larger than the Haiti quake...

Totally understandable.

Morn said:
Can we shut down CNN now? They are so damn stupid tonight.

The Mr. Miyagi reference was facepalm epic.
Mr. Miyagi? Wow.

Zeal

Banned
i really feel detached and numbed from humanity when people attempt to come in and make jokes about such things. it makes me sad.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Morn said:
Can we shut down CNN now? They are so damn stupid tonight.

The Mr. Miyagi reference was facepalm epic.
Fox News has been pretty decent. Just trying to get information out so people in affected tsunami zone can take precautions.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
yaAbl.png

OskLV.png

98GPu.png

hMdj7.png

baxOD.png

4nYaI.png

YEKJe.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Going to go to sleep now. Told myself that half an hour ago but I have school.

Stay safe, everyone who's about to get hit and those hit already.

Does anyone know where can I find out how far inland is considered safe in the SF bay area? I don't want to disturb any of my friends at this hour, but if my apartment is in danger of flooding I want to transport my art and personal possessions.

Yamanashi Japan gaf member checking in,

I live about 120km away from Tokyo but it still was a big enough quake to mess shit up around where I live. I haven't felt something so strong since the San Francisco quake back when I was a kid...

I just now got online as I had to ride my bike to my parent in law's house. All the roads are full of unmoving traffic...

The power, gas, and electricity were all knocked out in my town. The initial earthquake shook violently here for over a minute. My wife and I are uninjured but I can't say the same for most of the eastern coastline of Japan. I just turned on the TV and I can't believe how bad it really was! My prayers go out to the rest of Japan and Japan gaf.

The next few days and weeks are going to be long and hard. I pray no more large aftershocks hit us. I've already felt at least 4...

LProtag

CF_Fighter said:
Ugh, CNN anchor just said Taiwan was next in the "firing line". Does she just have no scruples when making her statements.

It's just how western slang works. This lady who's on right now is a lot better than the one who was on before.

Ravidrath

Some fucking CNN fuckers better get fired over the Mr. Miyagi and kaiju jokes.

Keyser Soze said:
YEN plummeting, Nikkei has dropped nearly 5%. Not hugely important right now, but still will affect worldwide stuff in coming days.

This is also disgusting - can't they suspend this from the currency market?

With the yen worth less, it's going to make the clean-up and rebuilding even more expensive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Does anyone know where can I find out how far inland is considered safe in the SF bay area? I don't want to disturb any of my friends at this hour, but if my apartment is in danger of flooding I want to transport my art and personal possessions.
I'd like to know too. I want to assume I'm safe but it feels like anything could happen at this point

GrotesqueBeauty said:
According to one of the seismologists, as long as you are more than 15 miles inland, should be fine.

Jswanko said:
tsunami warning for bay area "imminent" Im a little worried now

Do you remember those apartments in Pacifica that were in danger last year? Haven't kept up with the story but hopefully they've been closed down.

storm%20imperiled%20buildings-7300141.grid-6x2.jpg

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Upsidedown Fuji said:
Yamanashi Japan gaf member checking in,

I live about 120km away from Tokyo but it still was a big enough quake to mess shit up around where I live. I haven't felt something so strong since the San Francisco quake back when I was a kid...

I just now got online as I had to ride my bike to my parent in law's house. All the roads are full of unmoving traffic...

The power, gas, and electricity were all knocked out in my town. The initial earthquake shook violently here for over a minute. My wife and I are uninjured but I can't say the same for most of the eastern coastline of Japan. I just turned on the TV and I can't believe how bad it really was! My prayers go out to the rest of Japan and Japan gaf.

The next few days and weeks are going to be long and hard. I pray no more large aftershocks hit us. I've already felt at least 4...

good to hear you're safe, i'm hoping no one from gaf is affected too badly :(

Ellis Kim

Banned
DM_Uselink said:
Fuck, my girlfriend is in SF... Hoping for everyone's safety in the warning areas!
You'll be happy to know that unless she's on like... right on the west coastal area of SF, that she should be perfectly fine. Most of SF is really high above the water level, and at the very least, simulations of increased water levels through global warming demonstrate as much.

http://flood.firetree.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom