• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ellis Kim said:
Don't kids grow up doing earthquake drills in Japan? :x Doorways and desks, and all that jazz?
They do but its mostly a joke. As a matter of fact we just had one at my school campus about a month ago. The kids just pull the cushions off their seats and wrap them on their heads and walk outside single-file to the school filed grounds.

They just forget all their training once the real thing happens... I grew up in southern california so I was drilled to oblivion about what to do... not sure why the people on tv and the ones around me in the office ran about like headless chickens despite their training.

Anyhow forgive me for derailing the thread with my own experience. I just had to get that off my chest.

sammymoho said:
dude are you serious? i know gaf likes to pull peoples legs, especially juniors, but now is not the time!!!
Aren't you one state inland? I'm not from the US but you're hundreds of miles away aren't you?

cdyhybrid

SleepyJohn11 said:
It doesn't look like I'm going to bed soon.

JLG- said:
are you serious? damn stay safe Hawaii gaf

http://www.ksskradio.com/main.html

Link for the radio I'm listening to. I was born and raised on Oahu and have tons of family there (currently in Seattle though), so that's why I'm keeping track. Luckily they all live in the middle of the island, far above sea level, so they should be ok. Looks like it could be bad though.

Edit: The height of the wave means almost nothing, although 6 feet is pretty damn significant. It's the ridiculously enormous amounts of water behind the initial wave that causes the destruction.

CiSTM

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
AJ's youtube feed is really amazing

what the hell is going on with the Earth?

Nothing out of ordinary. Tectonic plates are moving and will keep moving and causing earth quakes. And the smaller quakes around the pacific are triggered by this big quake that hit japan. Nothing odd about it. Just the way world works.

:(

Wes

venison crêpe
tsunami.jpg

gimmmick

sammymoho said:
dude are you serious? i know gaf likes to pull peoples legs, especially juniors, but now is not the time!!!

Dude come on. This wave is traveling across the pacific, no one will be hit 1/10 as hard as people in Japan have suffered so far.

sammymoho

Banned
Ferrio said:
He's being serious, lot of people overreacting.

so i shouldnt be worried? LOOK, I AM REALLY NERVOUS. I already packed all my valubles (diamond bracelet from girlfriend, PS3, laptop, etc.) and am packing up my clothes as I type and already called a hotel room far EAST, I plan to jump into the car and drive there and get there as fast as I can!! GOD bless me.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Coen said:
Imagine being on a boat on the pacific right now. Goddamn...
Seismologist on Fox just said that you wouldn't even notice. Apparently the wave is very shallow on the open ocean, but builds up dramatically once it reaches the shoreline.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cvxfreak said:
The JR trains won't be running in Tokyo again tonight.

And thus, I can't go home.
Wow. Man, be safe. I'm sure all that RE playthroughs has you prepared for this!

Ellis Kim said:
Rather than on the highest shelves, I'd suggest putting them in a safety box, preferably water-proof.
I wish I had endless plastic containers, but I'm going to have to make due with what I've got. If the flood levels are 1.5-3 feet I will probably be alright since there is a garage beneath me, but I'm going to take as many precautions as I can. Looks like it'll be a long night. :p

cvxfreak said:
The JR trains won't be running in Tokyo again tonight.

And thus, I can't go home.
My friend's wife and her infant are stuck on the shinkansen. Sheez. I feel sorry for you bro! Find a cube hotel if you can.

clav

Upsidedown Fuji said:
They do but its mostly a joke. As a matter of fact we just had one at my school campus about a month ago. The kids just pull the cushions off their seats and wrap them on their heads and walk outside single-file to the school filed grounds.

They just forget all their training once the real thing happens... I grew up in southern california so I was drilled to oblivion about what to do... not sure why the people on tv and the ones around me in the office ran about like headless chickens despite their training.

Anyhow forgive me for derailing the thread with my own experience. I just had to get that off my chest.
I thought in Japan people are taught to look at surroundings and either:

1. Run out of the building and find an open ground.

or

2. Find an area that isn't next to a shaking objects and duck.

I remember watching a video on this.

Mik2121

claviertekky said:
I believe the Japanese prime minister said 8.4 even though it may not be the correct number.
The Prime Minister said 8.4 at around 4PM here, and by then it was thought to be 8.4, but it's actually 8.8.

Anyway, all the most serious stuff is over here in Japan (except for any thing economics related but that's a whole different matter :p), thank god. Now they are pretty much just talking about all the shit that went down..

Now hopefully nothing serious happens in any other country because of the tsunamis.

sammymoho said:
so i shouldnt be worried? LOOK, I AM REALLY NERVOUS. I already packed all my valubles (diamond bracelet from girlfriend, PS3, laptop, etc.) and am packing up my clothes as I type and already called a hotel room far EAST, I plan to jump into the car and drive there and get there as fast as I can!! GOD bless me.
Calm down. You are going to be fine.

Ferrio

Banned
sammymoho said:

Oh so you're being a smartass then now?

sammymoho said:
Holy shit. You are ready to roll. Some might say you are overreacting, BUT if this is what you need to do to sleep comfy tonight, stay at the hotel. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Ravidrath

perfectchaos007 said:
thread title changes again to 8.8

Advice to mod: until there's a consensus, say Magnitude 8.4 - 8.9

USGS us 8.9, on the western scale.

Japan's is 8.4, because it's a different scale.

So both are correct.

Could also say "7th largest earthquake in recorded history," if you don't want to be tied to numbers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm turning in. Stay safe Hawaii GAF.Looks like most footage is looping now.

According to floodmaps I'll be ok and I'm sure West Coast US will have almost no issues besides some moved boats.

PbAwi.png

oMFWV.png

J1u6E.png

lTCzj.png

Ellis Kim

Banned
Upsidedown Fuji said:

As someone who grew up in northern California, I completely understand what you mean.

lol @ Wario64. Is it bad that the moment someone called me that this was happening, the first thing I thought about were those Disaster Day games? I mean... without the complete lack of people on the streets thing.

Also, damn those games are unrealistic after seeing all of the live footage.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Crap. I'm only two miles inland on the first floor of my building. Debating whether to try and move as many valuables as possibly to the highest shelves in my place or wake a friend and try to get a few carloads of stuff further inland.

Dude if you can do it serisouly, just get the hell out of there just in case, better say then sorry..even if it jsut you getting out of there in time..stay safe..

sammymoho

Banned
OK. I am going to take GAFs advice and go far EAST NOW. wish me luck. im hoping the tsunami doesnt swallow me on the way there. I will be listening to the radio vigilantly (if the radio even works in this hell hole) while on the NeoGAF mobile app.

IsayFever

sammymoho said:

Dude dont worry, you're way out of harm's way.

Ferrio

Banned
sammymoho said:
OK. I am going to take GAFs advice and go far EAST NOW. wish me luck. im hoping the tsunami doesnt swallow me on the way there. I will be listening to the radio vigilantly (if the radio even works in this hell hole) while on the NeoGAF mobile app.

Nice of you to troll a serious thread. Ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom