• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthworm Jim Review with Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico and I reviewed Earthworm Jim on both the SEGA Genesis and Super Nintendo. Tommy shares a bit of history about the inception of the creation and development of Earthworm Jim. We also share our distaste with the recent HD remake, Earthworm Jim HD.

Earthworm Jim: Spending his days eating dirt and tunneling through the earth, Jim was a very ordinary worm. When one day, BAM, an ultra-high-tech-indestructible-super-space-cyber-suit falls on him and he's cast into the throes of super-heroism. Jim was mutated into the ultra highly intelligent (for a worm) crusader that we know today. Travelling through the galaxy launching cows and battling malevolent goldfish make up a normal day in Jim's life. Dang.

This review segment was done entirely on the spot meaning there were no scripts or notes written.

Last edited:

I had the opportunity and great fortune to interview creator of Video Games Live and video game composer, Tommy Tallarico at the Istana Budaya in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Tommy Tallarico has been part of the video game industry for over 20 years creating music and sound effects for hundreds of games, including my all-time personal favorite, Earthworm Jim.

As one of the most successful video game composers in history, Tommy has helped revolutionize the gaming world, creating unique audio landscapes that enhance the video gaming experience. He is considered the person most instrumental in changing the game industry from bleeps & bloops to real music now appreciated worldwide by tens of millions of fans.

Being able to interview one of the most iconic video game composers in the industry and someone whom I've looked up to for decades, was definitely the highlight of my life. We filmed the entire interview as well as a game review segment for a total of over 25 minutes.

Earthworm Jim was ahead of it's time. It's still stunning, putting most action games to shame.

AGreed with you man. In fact, there was a PSP game in the works but it was unfortunately cancelled. The original team members were developing the game but Atari couldn't afford to fund the project completely.

I remember buying it back in the day for the Megadrive from Woolworths (RIP). It was £40 and worth every penny. Beat it multiple times and just loved the idiosyncratic strangeness of it all. Not to mention, it used the limited palette of the Megadrive to wonderful effect. Also, my friend bought it for the SNES. He was outraged when he realised it was missing a level. I found it hilarious, of course.

I remember buying it back in the day for the Megadrive from Woolworths (RIP). It was £40 and worth every penny. Beat it multiple times and just loved the idiosyncratic strangeness of it all. Not to mention, it used the limited palette of the Megadrive to wonderful effect. Also, my friend bought it for the SNES. He was outraged when he realised it was missing a level. I found it hilarious, of course.

EWJ was the first video game I've played. My dad brought home this massive Windows 95 PC and it came with EWJ Special Edition. Spent hours and hours watching all of Jim's idle animations and loving the music. I had no idea there were other versions of the game until we walked into the game store and there were walls of EWJ games on the shelf. Christmas 95 was terrific. Bought all the other versions: Genesis, gameboy, Genesis, and decades later the SNES version.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I always remembered the volcano level having Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky as its level music. I loved it.
EDIT: "What the Heck?" was the level.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That interview was interesting man. Thanks for posting it.

Glad to see the Earthworm Jim love in here. Nowadays the games media seem to like to consistently retcon gaming history. Lost count of the number of times I’ve seen this game mocked and called a bad game in recent years (similarly with the DKC games). But, the fact is, it was very popular at release and praised for it’s unique style.

I hope that hint at the end comes true (new game by the old team).

Man I need to play that again, I also remember loving the soundtrack

Yeah man Tommy's the best. He was so surprised to see me when I attended Video Games Live in Boston in 2015. He remembers me because I was the only fanboy from Malaysia who had all the games he worked on to be signed at the meet & greet. I told him how much I loved his work on games and TV shows like G4 Judgment Day, Electric Playground with Victor Lucas and of course the EWJ review we did for my final semester. You can tell Tommy is passionate about his work and he loves EWJ. Got a lot of games and albums signed. You should definitely check out VGL.

I always remembered the volcano level having Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky as its level music. I loved it.
EDIT: "What the Heck?" was the level.

That's whats great about Shiny games. You had no idea what was going to happen in the next level and the fact there were so many surprises in store for the player.

That interview was interesting man. Thanks for posting it.

Glad to see the Earthworm Jim love in here. Nowadays the games media seem to like to consistently retcon gaming history. Lost count of the number of times I’ve seen this game mocked and called a bad game in recent years (similarly with the DKC games). But, the fact is, it was very popular at release and praised for it’s unique style.

I hope that hint at the end comes true (new game by the old team).

Absolutely. In fact, there were dozens of merchandise including Playmates Toys and VHS releases of the cartoon show which only lasted two seasons. There were also DVDs released in the US and Australia. Here's my little collection:

Everything went sour when Interplay (later owned by Infogrames/Titus) owned the rights. EWJ 3D had a lot of potential (especially with the beta version) but unfortunately the final product had so many issues. Don't even remind me of Menace 2 The Galaxy.

Thanks for checking the interview Scopa. Your avatar reminds me of Bubba Ho Tep (Bruce Campbell).

There was in fact a game in the works by the original team in 2006 "Earthworm Jim PSP" which looked terrific but Atari couldn't afford to fund the project. If you've read or listened to podcasts the EWJ team have talked about meeting with Interplay (Infogrames/Titus) on numerous occasions about making another game. They wanted to get the rights back and were willing to give licensed fees back to Interplay. Unfortunately, Interplay for some reason doesn't want the original team to work on it which is a recipe for disaster. Now, they're selling off their assets: Clayfighter, Boogerman, MDK, Sacrifice, EWJ etc. Let's hope a development studio like Insomniac or Drinkbox Studios can work on it since (in my opinion) they're the pioneers of platformers.

Last edited:
If you told me this interview was made in the late 90's i would believe it. Then i would realize it's HD/60fps..

Ha! The lighting at the convention hall was pretty bad and it was my first YouTube video ever so I had little to no experience with adjusting the color correction. It definitely looks better than the raw footage that's for sure.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Ha! The lighting at the convention hall was pretty bad and it was my first YouTube video ever so I had little to no experience with adjusting the color correction. It definitely looks better than the raw footage that's for sure.
I was mostly referring to Tomy looking young, not the quality of the video ;)

Ban Puncher

giphy.gif

Vlaphor

Tommy Tallarico is awesome and I'm always glad to see more of him.

Doug Tenapel is a colossal sack of shit and it depressed me to no end when I discovered that.

Vlaphor

One of my favorite things about EWJ was EWJ2 on the Saturn. The soundtrack was amazing and it was all redbook audio, so I played it in my CD player all the time.

One of my favorite things about EWJ was EWJ2 on the Saturn. The soundtrack was amazing and it was all redbook audio, so I played it in my CD player all the time.

Oh man that's awesome. I have the PS1 version of EWJ 2 from Europe and imported the Japanese Saturn version (by Takara) years later. Always loved the long boxes the Saturn games had.

The submarine level in the PC demo gave me PTSD. like driving a porcelain bumpercar.
The bass line in Level 5 from EWJ was a revelation to me.

I know exactly what you mean. Not only were you given a timer but the glass will shatter the moment you come into contact with the surfaces four or so times but the secrets you get are worthwhile. I think there's a shortcut to Who Turned Out The Lights? And yeah the bass line in Down the Tubes and level 5 was awesome. Watching the Special Edition pencil intro was like seeing the Holy Grail for me. I was like "these animations are like a cartoon!". I was two at the time so anything video game related was an incredible experience for me.

Right now Tommy is currently the president of the Intellivision Entertainment and is currently working on the next console. I'm definitely looking forward to more information in October.

GermanZepp

I'm gonna watch it later. I love earthworm jim. The music of first 2 games was awesome, i remeber buying the PS one version of the game (EJ2) just for puttin it in my cd player to listen to the music. Thanks for posting this.

I'm gonna watch it later. I love earthworm jim. The music of first 2 games was awesome, i remeber buying the PS one version of the game (EJ2) just for puttin it in my cd player to listen to the music. Thanks for posting this.

No worries man. I had to practically beg the symphony and the organizers to interview Tommy for my final journalism assignment while I was enrolled at Sunway University in Malaysia. It's really thanks to them and of course Tommy for giving me the time to interview him. The review was just an added bonus since I asked Tommy if we could do a review on Earthworm Jim and he said "Totally! I'll try not to be biased."

Next month Intellivision is going to unveil more about the next console along with a ton of game announcements and the first look at the system. Can't wait.

i rented the game i had 1 day left fuck that level so much

It took me agonizing years for me to beat that level. I think the Gameboy and Game Gear versions were the worst because the controls weren't as responsive. Thankfully EWJ 1 & 2 had passwords which you can skip levels.

I remember playing this on my DS...One of the best games ever made.

The DS version was based on the HD remake/iPhone port of the original EWJ on Genesis. Many of the animations were missing and I found it a lot harder to control Jim in this version. Gameloft were responsible for porting the game. I like the camera mode though!

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Earthworm Jim was a very popular videogame during the 16-bit era, spawning a lot of merchandise and even a cartoon show (which was the gold standard for success back then, like getting your own breakfast cereal). The second game was even more zany and surreal and just as much fun. The industry shift to 3D polygons pretty much wrecked the series, but once Playstation dropped, the kids wouldn't touch a 2D videogame to save their lives.

I compiled a Sega Genesis game ranking database for a possible book project, based on every "best of" poll that could be found in print and online. Earthworm Jim made the Top 20, which made me smile. The fans are still out there and they still remember Jim.

Indeed. To this day members of the original team still say it's unfinished business. They want to make another game but the powers that be (Interplay) is preventing them from doing so.

Top Bottom