• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's exclusivity of Porsche licence expiring this year, won't be renewed

Azzawon

Racing game fans rejoice, this is the news we've been waiting far too long for.

In an interview with German site SpeedManiacs.com, Sebastian Hornung (Porsche Entertainment Manager) said "the current situation is no longer desirable" when asked about the recent DLC packs in Assetto Corsa. Here is a paragraph from the interview translated from the site, so derive what you can:
According to Sebastian, one has always followed the happenings regarding gaming apart from EA. The license with EA runs out this year, because one has come to the realization that the current situation is no longer desirable for both sides. Accordingly, the deal will also change with other game developers. After 10 years absence of pure-race simulations one wants to again "wider".

I'm not German, so I'll apologise on behalf of Google Translate. The full article is here for those who want a read: http://www.speedmaniacs.com/News,Assetto-Corsa-und-Porsche-Zu-Gast-bei-Kunos-Simulazioni,8647

Timed-exclusive DLC me if old.

How did Assetto get Porsche in their latest DLC's if the contract is not up yet? Deal with EA directly and they figured AC and EA racing games don't have much overlap in demographic?

I wouldn't surprised if Microsoft swoops in for it now.

That, or Kunos Simulazioni, considering Assetto Corsa is apparently being used for Porsche's simulations in the driver experiences program.

How did Assetto get Porsche in their latest DLC's if the contract is not up yet? Deal with EA directly?

Not sure, maybe someone can correct me, but I think Kunos went to Porsche directly. What I said above also says why the Macan and the Panamera are in Assetto Corsa' Porsche DLC.

Azzawon

How did Assetto get Porsche in their latest DLC's if the contract is not up yet? Deal with EA directly?

Don't quote me on this but I believe it has something to do with Kunos supplying Porsche with guidance on their in-house simulators, so it's probably a case of them helping each other out.

Also worth noting that the Forza games have had Porsche DLC packs quite some time after release for the past few years, I expect EA would've had some benefit from the deal though.

Don't quote me on this but I believe it has something to do with Kunos supplying Porsche with guidance on their in-house simulators, so it's probably a case of them helping each other out.

Yeah, that seems to be the case.

Porsche will use Assetto Corsa (or Assetto Corsa Pro) in driver training for track-learning and in Porsche sport driving schools as well as their Porsche Experience centers, if I remember that right. I know Silverstone has a Porsche Experience Center so it makes sense that a classic Silverstone was released with the first Porsche pack.

Porsche is betting on eSports and virtual racing to take off in the near future and the partnership with Kunos is their first step. It sounded a bit like "we are working on a global (bigger) strategy and AC is our short term solution for now" in the interview with a guy from Porsche I saw a few days ago.

Edit:

Porsche Driving School courses you can book:
porschedrivingschoolrlq4s.png

That's pretty much the same cars that we get with the packs and shows that the "Porsche wanted the SUVs, that was not our idea!!" comment from Marco is true.

I wouldn't surprised if Microsoft swoops in for it now.

I doubt it, Turn10 gave up their Ferrari exclusivity in the hopes EA would do the same for Porsche a few years back.

Also a few non EA games have had Porsche in the past few years, but always through some sort of post launch paid DLC.

Akai__

Every time I read this, I wished licensing for these things would work differently. It just sucks so much that game content or even games have to be discontinued because of these things.

matmanx1

Porsche's in Gran Turismo, please. It's irked me for many years now that one of my favorite car makers is not in one of my favorite racing series.

I'll be honest and say the Porsche exclusivity deal really didn't do much aside from lockout Porsche's various racing vehicles (Which, IMO, is the biggest draw) The road cars were often better replaced with RUF.

Does anybody remember the EA racing game Porsche Unleashed? Man, what a great game! Well, it's been years so I think it was a great game at the time! What I fondly remember is the car history, as well as the ability inspect the cars, such as opening up the doors, hood and trunk.

Great news. What have EA actually done with it?
Porsche was in Need for Speed. Sometimes they buy exclusivity just to prevent the competition from using it. I believe they had the rights to Lewis Hamilton for a while, even though they weren't in control of the F1 license.

I think the last time I drove a Porsche in a video game was NFS: Porsche Unleashed...14 years ago or so.

Excited to get to virtually drive one again.

Please, please DriveClub DLC.

Does anybody remember the EA racing game Porsche Unleashed? Man, what a great game! Well, it's been years so I think it was a great game at the time! What I fondly remember is the car history, as well as the ability inspect the cars, such as opening up the doors, hood and trunk.

That was the one with the 60's and 70's Porsches, no? It was cool. Not a great racer, but cool for fans.

Another 6 month GT sport delay incoming.

That deal was 10 years to long and dude nothing for nobody. It wasn't even like Ea gave them extra special treatment or Need for Speed used the licence in any intired ting ways.

This does pretty much mean a lot of EA racing games will be delisted, like the Criterion Need for Speed games and Shift 2 Unleashed, right? Sad times.

It won't be long until Burnout Paradise goes too, given it's nearly a decade old and I can imagine the music licensing for it being the culprit when it does go (or rather, EA's reluctance to pay for renewal or gut it from the game, I bet)

Finally. Plus, I don't have tell my brother in law every time I buy a new Forza, why Porche is not in the game and only available dlc.

This does pretty much mean a lot of EA racing games will be delisted, like the Criterion Need for Speed games and Shift 2 Unleashed, right? Sad times.

It won't be long until Burnout Paradise goes too, given it's nearly a decade old and I can imagine the music licensing for it being the culprit when it does go (or rather, EA's reluctance to pay for renewal or gut it from the game, I bet)

I seriously doubt it.

-Amon-

Exclusivity deals like this give me nausea.

I really hope we will not see anything like this anymore. Happy to see this end.

Incoming Microsoft with the swoop. This might be because they are giving NFS one final chance before killing it off. Hopefully that's not the case.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom