• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's response on Battlefront II Pay-To-Win scheme now Reddit's most downvoted comment

Buhromat

A link to the response

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

-300,000 votes on Reddit which is a record for the most downvoted comment on the site.

The hero points thing is my biggest beef so far. I watched a Jackfrags video about it and he stated that it would take something like 40 hours to unlock Darth Vader....thats bullshit.

Do we know which heros are locked behind this mountain of credits out of the gate? It cant be all of them, right?

BANGS

Banned
That feeling when you downvote something so hard and breaks a record so everyone sees it regardless...

DonF

321.000 downvotes...wow...
I downvoted and i'm not getting the game. Went from promoting this game to my friends, for the lack of paid maps and stuff, to saying to everyone not to buy it. Its just too much BS.

Sanke__

I like how they tried to hide the real bullshit behind loot crate pseudo controversy

This hero unlock shit is so unsurprisingly similar to galaxy of heroes

Fuck EA

This might be the first year they would actually deserve worst company in America

The hero points thing is my biggest beef so far. I watched a Jackfrags video about it and he stated that it would take something like 40 hours to unlock Darth Vader....thats bullshit.

Do we know which heros are locked behind this mountain of credits out of the gate? It cant be all of them, right?

The problem is that only one person can be each hero at a time so the person with the expensive heroes will likely be a hero the entire game (blatant example of pay to win)

RaptorGTA

It's great everyone's jumping on the bandwagon to hate EA and loot crates but Battlefront II is going to be a big selling game. I can't see this really affecting sales.

It's great everyone's jumping on the bandwagon to hate EA and loot crates but Battlefront II is going to be a big selling game. I can't see this really affecting sales.

Probably going to be like this:

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

I hope it does affect sales, they've been put on blast and will be hyper-aware of this as a reason why it underperfomed. I doubt it will though. They'll probably go full steam ahead if it sells well enough.

Rafus

If the game stills sells great despite all the heat they are receiving for this stuff, we'll probably be headed to a new era of horror :(

Just booted up the game for my daily crate (a paltry amount of credits and crafting parts), and noticed this:
DOhuC4xW0AAznOD.jpg

"What are Star Cars"
Proof-reading? Nah, just make sure we can nickle and dime every person who spent $60+ on this game.

Honestly, this game is everything wrong with the industry right now.
- 10 day trial via a paid subscription ($30 a year)
- 3 day early access for Deluxe Edition buyers (an additional $20 to play 3 days early)
- Gameplay-altering paid lootboxes
- Low rate of currency accumulation to earn free lootboxes
- 24hr lockout on currency in Arcade after a measly 500 credits are earned
- Locking players out of popular characters in favor of a massive grind

It's a shame because the actual gameplay is pretty fun.

There are 5 locked heroes/villains from the start, as well as the Milennium Falcon. Yeah, it's total bullshit. Especially when the beta gave the impression that they were all unlocked from the start.

Gamezone

Gold Member
10 hours of EA Access will be more than enough. As for the single player, I`ll just watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

Stiler

Hopefully the outcry about this will lead to some changes for EA, I hope at least.

Avoiding the game for this reason.

Steroyd

Just minor characters like Luke Skywalker, Leiah, Darth Vador, Chewbacca etc, not like they're iconic to the franchise or anything.

Jesus fucking christ, like Yongyea said it's like buying a Dragonball game with Goku and Vegeta, or Mario from a Mario game being locked behind a lootbox system.

Ehh whatever.i'm still gonna buy it. It looks amazing in 4k/60fps HDR on a 1080ti. Almost done the 10 hour trial. Tons of fun. Gonna beat the single player. Play multi until i get bored. Not gonna spend one extra cent. And than i'll move onto the next game with 0 regrets...

Bookoo

Ehh whatever.i'm still gonna buy it. It looks amazing in 4k/60fps HDR on a 1080ti. Almost done the 10 hour trial. Tons of fun. Gonna beat the single player. Play multi until i get bored. Not gonna spend one extra cent. And than i'll move onto the next game with 0 regrets...

Yea this type of progression system has been around for a while now. If the game is fun than I normally don't have a problem with it.

I guess I just have to brace myself for Battlefield 5 because I imagine the unlock system will translate over to that.

Jesus fucking christ, like Yongyea said it's like buying a Dragonball game with Goku and Vegeta, or Mario from a Mario game being locked behind a lootbox system.

Are they actually locked behind a lootbox system or just a progression system? Based on the brief research I did you can unlock them with credits, which are given in game. It just sounds like they require a ton and you would need to play the game a while to unlock them.

Alebrije

If I can not play with DV , no point to get the game.

Hope the game goes to Oblivion but saddly it seems a lot of people still will get it.

Disney has also responsibility, for choose such a partner.

entremet

What a disaster of PR. I hope companies take a long and hard look at this nonsense. If this was FTP, fine. But people are playing 60 bucks for this.

Portugeezer

Yea this type of progression system has been around for a while now. If the game is fun than I normally don't have a problem with it.

I guess I just have to brace myself for Battlefield 5 because I imagine the unlock system will translate over to that.

Are they actually locked behind a lootbox system or just a gameplay system? Based on the brief research I did you can unlock them with credits, but could potentially take a while to unlock.
And what would be an acceptable amount of time? Average player would take 40 hours to save up credits to unlock it and that's without using anything to unlock other things. Seems like a ridiculous amount of time... People should buy lootboxes to speed up progress... Wait a minute.

300.000 downvotes by 300.000 players that regularly give their money to pay-wall, pay2win, loot crates addicted companies?

Yes, very effective indeed.

Old Empire.

I likely will buy the game, but certainly not happy with this pay to win loot stuff. EA needs to address this problem for the future. Don;t have to pay for a season pass is the only reason i think i let this slide this time and will purchase the game.

Setmeni

My preorder is cancelled and I’ve contributed to the downvote. It’s a small token of my hatred of these practices and I know it won’t matter much but it’s all I can do.

hesho

welcome to the future of gaming where the consumer is willing to spend money on anything so the publisher keeps getting more and more greedy.

_Aaron_

EA just disgusts me. What makes it worse is they constantly say how much they care about the consumers but that isn't at all reflected in their actions.

Imagine if those downvotes meant something. EA will react only to financial consequences, and they have correctly assumed few Star Wars fans have enough self control not to buy the game.

welcome to the future of gaming where the consumer is willing to spend money on anything so the publisher keeps getting more and more greedy.

Well, it's not only the gaming, it affects anything that surrounds us. As soon as the transformation with everything as a service is complete, you're going to pay for everything you can't even imagine yet.

Swass

EA loves breaking these kinds of records.. and to think people thought they were trying to change their culture after getting voted worst company of the year 2 years in a row.

Thoughts and prayers to Respawn.

zenspider

I pre-ordered on PSN a while back to make my $15 for $100. I am pissed there are no refunds.

I don't understand what happens if I get enough points for a hero in a match - do I roll in as Smitty, the Death Star janitor?

Velius

Banned
Can someone give me a brief rundown of what the issue is here? Microtransactions have been an issue for a while now but this game seems to really be bothering people.

What's up?

Fbh

Very much how the fuck do you not understand what the consumers want when they literally SCREAM it into your face. EA is insane.

They know what people want.
It's just that they know that with the Star Wars name attached to it and the hype for the new Movie this will still sell really well. They have probably made projections and seen that the potential money from microtransactions outweighs their PR damage.

I don't understand what happens if I get enough points for a hero in a match - do I roll in as Smitty, the Death Star janitor?

As far as I know some heroes are unlocked from the start so you can play as those. But they have locked the more iconic and popular ones behind tens of dozens of hours of grinding.

Can someone give me a brief rundown of what the issue is here? Microtransactions have been an issue for a while now but this game seems to really be bothering people.

What's up?

- Some aspect of it feel like Pay 2 win since people that pay will unlock better skills faster.
- Instead of being some optional thing on the side for those willing to pay, the entire progression system has been built around lootboxes, random drops and insane grinding that feels like it was taken straight from some F2P mobile game.
- The rate at which you gain money and resources (and the amount needed to unlock stuff) feels extremely grindy and very much like a F2P game.
- Some if the most popular hero characters like Dark Vader and Luke, which were playable from the start in the previous game now take like 40 hours to unlock (each).

Played 7 hours so far and i feel like...... this is going to get bad. I find the game fun, but when you have your eye's set on one of the specific guns to unlock the grind becomes so obvious that it's frustrating. This could be the thing that stops me playing. i just hope they increase the drop rate for credits, giving more points for your actual performance in the game would be good. I know they say it does already but it's not really obvious enough to make it feel like you accomplished something in that round when you get MVP or top of the scoreboard. Surely this PR shit fest will change something.

Chitown B

sadly the execs do not care. As long as the bottom line is good, if they piss off some customers while making enough money off of the others, and the whales, they're fine with it. they'll give lip service, but nothing is going to change. It's only going to get worse.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
sadly the execs do not care. As long as the bottom line is good, if they piss of some customers while making enough money off of the others, and the whales, they're fine with it. they'll give lip service, but nothing is going to change. It's only going to get worse.
Pretty sure they will adjust 🤔

What's up?

To play as the most iconic Star Wars characters in Battlefront 2 (like Vader, Luke Skywalker, etc), you need to pay for them with credits. You can either buy credits with real money, or earn them in-game. But it's been calculated that it takes 40 hours to earn enough credits to unlock Darth Vader alone.

An EA rep replied with a pathetic attempt to justify it, saying that they wanted players to be "proud of their achievements" when it takes them a long time to unlock something.

Chitown B

To play as the most iconic Star Wars characters in Battlefront 2 (like Vader, Luke Skywalker, etc), you need to pay for them with credits. You can either buy credits with real money, or earn them in-game. But it's been calculated that it takes 40 hours to earn enough credits to unlock Darth Vader alone.

An EA rep replied with a pathetic attempt to justify it, saying that they wanted players to be "proud of their achievements" when it takes them a long time to unlock something.

which is BS because while showing them off, there's no way to know if that person put in the work or just opened their wallet.

Top Bottom