• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Star Wars deal is 10 years long

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When they said long term, it seems they meant long term.

Seeking Alpha said:
Eric J. Sheridan - UBS Securities LLC

Yes. There's an interesting phenomenon, how it has almost become a cottage industry of republishing your own gameplay on YouTube as an extension of the game. One last topic we wanted to talk about was the next Star Wars game, the franchise that will come through the licensing deal with Disney; if you could help us understand how that came about, sort of what are the challenges and opportunities of developing that kind of game alongside of, obviously, an enormous movie title that will no doubt do big business?

Blake J. Jorgensen

Yes, so I mean we’ve done movie games over the years and we wanted to make sure that we weren’t doing a movie game i.e., game based on the movie, the beauty of the Star Wars franchise is that it's so broad and so deep, you don’t have to do a movie game, you can do a game that's very focused on the world that's been created around Star Wars. We had a long relationship obviously with Lucas on the original Star Wars and when Disney took over Lucas, they really wanted to maintain a video game business around Star Wars. They felt it was very valuable and a lot of people loved the games historically. And so they came to us because of our partnership and they knew that we could help them develop really great games and we struck what we believe is a fantastic deal which allows us to be able to build games in many different genres across multiple types of platforms over 10 years and we’ll leverage the strength of the Disney marketing associated with the Star Wars properties both in movies and other things that they may do over the timeframe. We’ll try to align those with that marketing, power the Disney has so it will get aligned with timing around the movies, but it won’t necessarily be aligned with the movie.

We’ve shown a trailer for one of the possible games that we’re going to make Battlefront and it’s got a lot of people very excited because it’s a very popular game from before. We have the team in DICE, building some early stages of various games and building them in Frostbite, so it will be a very exciting game play and you’ll hear more about it in the years to come, but we’re very excited about the opportunity.

Eric J. Sheridan – UBS Securities LLC

So you have a fair bit of flexibility to create content around the universe in general that J.J. Abrams and his team is going to build up with the Lucasfilm’s franchise. It’s not totally tied in just to the movies.

Blake J. Jorgensen

Yes, definitely very much – so, very much around the historical types of games as in play plus new games that we’re inventing around their content, around the broad Star Wars content, and around some of the new assets that they may produce over time as well.
Source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/185...-technology-conference-transcript?part=single

Nibel

The first thing that came to mind was the picture of a hostage

I really hope that DICE won't screw up Battlefront 3

Abounder

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - Vader

Damn I hate EA and their anti-consumer ways. Madden, FIFA, Star Wars, UFC etc.

Their licenses are what sells the games. Please for all that is good for the gaming industry don't buy them anymore. Pretty please.

And fuck the Battlefield crashing bullshit. EA releases Day 1 DLC content on games that can't even run without crashing. Fuck why did they get Star Wars goddammit...RIP Lego SW

vader.jpg

10 years milking the franchise with poor, multiplayer focused games ahead...

Arttemis

Well, I'll just go a gen without Star Wars games.

Looking back a gen, Force Unleashed had potential with the physics engines and premise, but unfortunately fell far short of what it could've been due to knuckleheaded design and shallow combat.

Looking forward a gen, I don't trust anything by Bioware since EA assimilated them, and after the disappointment that was BF3 and mess that is BF4, I don't understand how anyone could still praise DICE or harbor excitement for their work. Maybe Visceral could pull off something of note, but I'll wait two additional years for the complete edition of whatever they inevitably riddle with BS DLC and microtransactions... for $15 used.

I don't know, man. I just imagine KOTOR being developed like Mass Effect 3 was and just get depressed. I don't want it to happen like that.

I love Mass Effect but I see where you are coming from....The Force Unleashed 2 with a limited conversation wheel

I'd take a KOTOR 1 HD tbh

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So what you're saying is that it will be at least 10 years until we get Republic Commando 2, Jedi Knight 3 and KOTOR 3.

You never know guys. They might get one of the games right. Give them enough chances and I am sure they can produce something better than Star Wars Kinect.

Ark

GAF has a serious lack of optimism. It all souds good to me, 10 years is at least one Battlefront game.

Top Bottom