• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
New all-time Tetris high score. With this trajectory, Kyle is only 50-250 more weeks away from beating Wozniak.

Tetris was jolly last night, catching up on Ben's discussion

Suda's translator is a pro, dang

Had to laugh at people in chat saying "ask things about games" in the early sections. Yeah, hearing the same PR lines as every other interview fed through the translation progress really sounds compelling

The guests are comfortable and it's become more of a roundtable after the first couple of questions. Excellent work Ben

Anaithsol

Neo Member
On another note: There seems to be a lot of niggling **** going on towards the members of EZA? They have seemed so self-conscious about the words they have used in the last two podcasts (we all have this problem if we look at ourselves) and Michael Huber posted a tweet yesterday about feeling bummed out by people not taking him seriously because he is hyped.

I don't follow the forums closely and I don't use Twitter (I just saw it from Huber congratulating Ben about his interview from the EZA site) but these obviously must be the places where these 'issues' are being raised.

I am at odds as to whether I should have even posted this as I don't want to stoke anything up; it just seems to be a 'thing' at the moment where EZA are being targeted more than before...?

Personally, I haven't seen anyone point out the speech mannerisms of the various allies nor do I believe that there's a sudden influx of criticism hurled toward them on all fronts. That's not to say these events haven't taken place, but I don't believe they're occurring at such a great pace where it just seems petty and nothing more.

As for Huber, I can see why some people can't take him very seriously due to how he carries himself when discussing things he loves or appreciates. He shouldn't change or let those outside perspectives affect him though as positivity is just as necessary as negativity.

Listening to the podcast, think the guys are far too harsh (and people in general tbh) on the announced Zelda season pass. Not knowing what's in it means a few things to me: 1) They're still working on the content so it's not stuff they've purposefully removed 2) You don't need to buy until you know what's in it..

"we just want a sweet Zelda game" says Ian, well you're getting a sweet Zelda game. Just that there's add on stuff in like 5-10 months if you want too.

It's a controversial topic to be sure. I'm cautiously optimistic in regards to the expansion pass myself, but I can also understand why others are more pessimistic toward it especially when considering the most detailed portion of the announcement was content that's largely inconsequential.

What truly bothers me are the more extreme reactions from both camps. Some folks are treating this as a flawless second coming, while others are stating that Nintendo's sold out and that they're going to move on to more scummy practices as time goes on.

There's only one aspect of the expansion pass I can label as universally negative – the fact that they stated content packs can't be purchased individually. I find that this is something that will likely change once they're released due to the inherent language of the press release, but, in its current state, such a limitation does nobody any good. It just makes little sense to label certain aspects as a bonus for or exclusive to expansion pass holders if that was your only option in the first place.

Mista Koo

Tried listening to the interview, but I'm struggling with it. I feel like one translator would've been better for having a more casual and natural conversation, especially since the Japanese translator seemed used to more formal interviews. I'm waiting for Ben to jump in more but he's also waiting on the translators too. Also I don't care about Danganronpa.

[....] and Michael Huber posted a tweet yesterday about feeling bummed out by people not taking him seriously because he is hyped.
I'm guilty of that even though I don't think I've said it before. But then again I don't watch almost any of EZA "serious" content.

Listening to the podcast, think the guys are far too harsh (and people in general tbh) on the announced Zelda season pass. Not knowing what's in it means a few things to me: 1) They're still working on the content so it's not stuff they've purposefully removed 2) You don't need to buy until you know what's in it..

"we just want a sweet Zelda game" says Ian, well you're getting a sweet Zelda game. Just that there's add on stuff in like 5-10 months if you want too.
Yeah, it's just what every other company has been doing forever. The only valid issues I think are the content (the stupid shirt really) and the fact that you can't purchase it piecemeal, but hey it's $20 it's not at a price point they'd want to split.

Hey allies :)

Been a patron since day 1 but never really got too much into the community but want to try to after seeing some awesome people do awesome things.

So hi!

New all-time Tetris high score. With this trajectory, Kyle is only 50-250 more weeks away from beating Wozniak.

Steve-Wozniak.jpg

Slow down Kyle, you don't want to hurt yourself.

UrbanRats

I just wanted to comment on Brandon's stupor at RE7 being set in the US, but having no US titles set in Japan.

First of all, i think it's just false to say that RE7 was developed for Japanese audience, a game that big had the international market in mind, and the US is the number one market.
Second of all, and most importantly, it's not a thing about Japan reaching out, it's about the US being the dominant power in the World, at least culturally.
You have plenty of studios all over the globe, outside the US, that still set their game in America and cater to the American audience (GTA, developed in Scotland, being the most obvious example).
I think that's the major factor why Japanese and European developers (and Canadians, etc) so often set their games in the US, but the reverse seldom happens.
And even if they don't go directly for a US setting, they'll probably have an Anglophone character or at the very least have English as their base spoken language.

Bens reaction to Suda51s Monokuma Summon is sooo good xD
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122866663?t=1h42m42s

Edit: btw Ben, not sure what NIS' intention for that segment was but I had a blast listening to it.

Like you said I imagine there are very few developers with whom this (Frame Trap-esque) kind-of-thing would be possible but you really did a great job. Even loosening up the more reserved Kodaka toward the end.

Legit laughed out loud quite a few times.

luchadork

Second of all, and most importantly, it's not a thing about Japan reaching out, it's about the US being the dominant power in the World, at least culturally.

its more than even that. the US ostensibly crushed japan in ww2 and was in charge of its rebuilding. they put into laws that greatly influenced its rebuilding into an american style democracy. i mean, america created japans constitution as far as i know. any legal precedents where based off american law. they also had american troops stationed in their country, and were a massive american ally during the vietnam and korean wars. so theres been this massive american influence IN the country.

part of americas soft diplomacy over the last century has been to export its culture around the world but thats especially true in japan, if only to fill in the space created by democracy. you can see americana when youre there. baseball, mcdonalds, and rock music.

and i think the reverse was true also in the 80s and 90s when japan for a moment was looking like becoming the biggest economy in the world. japans goods and culture were being exported all over the world. their electronics, their culture (videogames/movies) were at their high point. the influence in western culture was their for sure. i mean you had movies like karate kid, black rain, empire of the sun. shows like ninja turtles, hasbro's transformers. books like neuromancer. we probably would've seen more its just basically, since the late 90s japan has been sliding downwards economically and their influence has begun to wane.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like they were a bit harsh on the Zelda DLC.

Yeah, we should know more about the DLC but you're not forced to buy it if you don't want to. You can wait until more details are out.

And I think it's a little unfair as so far, Nintendo has proven that they're good with DLC. Mario Kart 8 was perfectly priced and gave us great content.

So I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and I feel like they should too.

I feel like they were a bit harsh on the Zelda DLC.

Yeah, we should know more about the DLC but you're not forced to buy it if you don't want to. You can wait until more details are out.

And I think it's a little unfair as so far, Nintendo has proven that they're good with DLC. Mario Kart 8 was perfectly priced and gave us great content.

So I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and I feel like they should too.
As soon as I heard about the in game switch shirt I knew Kyle would hate it. It goes against what he's want in a game like that. Ben gave the out but really. $20 for those bullet points is super light and why call it a season pass if it's the only way to buy of it.

I look forward to Damianis video on it he did with Simmons from Yo Videogames

jett

D-Member
Today I've learned a valuable lesson: Kyle makes Tetris look easy lol. Felt like trying out Gameboy Tetris, I mean how hard can it be, right!? :p

I have a newfound appreciation for Kyle's Tetris skills.

Piichan

Banned
Today I've learned a valuable lesson: Kyle makes Tetris look easy lol. Felt like trying out Gameboy Tetris, I mean how hard can it be, right!? :p

Definitely. When Kyle messes up on BvW I curse and yell at the screen "missplay!", but when I play myself I can't get near his score at all...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Haha same although for me this happened into week 4 of BvW.
I average around 200k.
Never broke 300k would need way more practice for that.

ElTorro

It's kinda crazy when you consider that he is playing while reading and talking to chat.

DubyaLucha

Neo Member
I'm glad to see so much positivity about the EZA belt.

I wanted to just clear up a few details on it for you guys. The belt didn't actually cost $635, it was only $470. The remainder was sent to the guys as a flat donation. I felt like the letter I wrote didn't clarify that.

This was something that I came up with as a way to honor their near year of existence while playing into the competitiveness of betting specials (my favorite thing they do). The simple fact that other people wanted in on the idea was amazing, and it was crucial. I personally felt that unless I got a ton of input from the EZA community, it wouldn't feel right to send the guys something so ridiculous.

I honestly wish I would have thought about posting here, too! Hindsight is 20/20. I don't plan on doing anything if this magnitude again, but if I did, I'd include you.

I'm glad you guys dig the belt. It comes from a genuinely kind place and the fact that they love it makes it that much more special.

L&R

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad to see so much positivity about the EZA belt.

I wanted to just clear up a few details on it for you guys. The belt didn't actually cost $635, it was only $470. The remainder was sent to the guys as a flat donation. I felt like the letter I wrote didn't clarify that.

This was something that I came up with as a way to honor their near year of existence while playing into the competitiveness of betting specials (my favorite thing they do). The simple fact that other people wanted in on the idea was amazing, and it was crucial. I personally felt that unless I got a ton of input from the EZA community, it wouldn't feel right to send the guys something so ridiculous.

I honestly wish I would have thought about posting here, too! Hindsight is 20/20. I don't plan on doing anything if this magnitude again, but if I did, I'd include you.

I'm glad you guys dig the belt. It comes from a genuinely kind place and the fact that they love it makes it that much more special.

L&R

Great work man. Curious side question though do you have any idea what additional name plates would cost?

DubyaLucha

Neo Member
Great work man. Curious side question though do you have any idea what additional name plates would cost?

Hilariously, the belt's initial cost was $410. Then, just as the project was done, they made their new personas. So I had to order six new plates literally the day it was due to ship to me. They cost $10 each. I've already told Jones that any future plates that need made will come directly out of my pocket.

Kneefoil

Haha same although for me this happened into week 4 of BvW.
I average around 200k.
Never broke 300k would need way more practice for that.

My average is probably around 100k (or maybe even below it) whenever I play GB Tetris, and speaking of breaking 300k, this is my high score:

I was not paying attention to my score at all during that run. Kind of annoying how close I got.

Edit: Dang. I missed the second RE7 Banned Footage stream. I really enjoyed seeing the first batch live.

Also, that Oregon Trail card game doesn't seem very good.

Drencrom

It's kinda crazy when you consider that he is playing while reading and talking to chat.

That is honestly the most impressive thing about his tetris streams, I can't fathom how he's able to read and take questions so continuously while he plays. Reading the chat and simply watching the stream is disorienting enough at times lol

AlucardGV

Banned

many times i find myself screaming at the monitor "KYLE WHY YOU DID THAT THERE WAS A PERFECT PLACE FOR THAT PIECE" and immediately later "oh i see..."
i definitely need to pay more attention on the piece on queue instead on the piece dropping

ElTorro

many times i find myself screaming at the monitor "KYLE WHY YOU DID THAT THERE WAS A PERFECT PLACE FOR THAT PIECE" and immediately later "oh i see..."
i definitely need to pay more attention on the piece on queue instead on the piece dropping

The 2016 Tetris World Championship Finals (yes, that's a thing) are instructional as well. Sometimes you just have to "clog the well" or do other moves that look strange to an amateur.

These two guys are also much better at mashing. Maybe that's just due to the version of Tetris they're playing. Or maybe they have controllers with automatic button press repetition.

Tankard

As someone who is constantly-ish getting to 400k now i think my biggest criticism of his game is the constant set ups for "Joey", it's a dangerous path to take and many times you may realize that it won't work for him and he has to call the Cleanup Group to assist.
One thing i was always shouting and now i get him is definitely the "Jeff Goldblum's Method", it is very hard to set this up, even only at higher levels, it's super tough to manage and if there's only a little Long Piece drought you are baked.

Edit: Wrote Elle instead of Joey.

diablogod

As someone who is constantly-ish getting to 400k now i think my biggest criticism of his game is the constant set ups for "Joey", it's a dangerous path to take and many times you may realize that it won't work for him and he has to call the Cleanup Group to assist.
One thing i was always shouting and now i get him is definitely the "Jeff Goldblum's Method", it is very hard to set this up, even only at higher levels, it's super tough to manage and if there's only a little Long Piece drought you are baked.

Yea the Joey setups are a mistake. Even if it is the most common piece if he doesn't show up it leaves you in a very bad place.

I love how much of the Kyle stream Lexicon is in this writeup

Mista Koo

That is honestly the most impressive thing about his tetris streams, I can't fathom how he's able to read and take questions so continuously while he plays. Reading the chat and simply watching the stream is disorienting enough at times lol
Yeah, it's crazy.

_Ryo_

I wish Tabletop had a Dice Cam and their mics didn't obscure their faces so much. Also Ian needs to sit closer to the mic!

its more than even that. the US ostensibly crushed japan in ww2 and was in charge of its rebuilding. they put into laws that greatly influenced its rebuilding into an american style democracy. i mean, america created japans constitution as far as i know. any legal precedents where based off american law. they also had american troops stationed in their country, and were a massive american ally during the vietnam and korean wars. so theres been this massive american influence IN the country.

part of americas soft diplomacy over the last century has been to export its culture around the world but thats especially true in japan, if only to fill in the space created by democracy. you can see americana when youre there. baseball, mcdonalds, and rock music.

and i think the reverse was true also in the 80s and 90s when japan for a moment was looking like becoming the biggest economy in the world. japans goods and culture were being exported all over the world. their electronics, their culture (videogames/movies) were at their high point. the influence in western culture was their for sure. i mean you had movies like karate kid, black rain, empire of the sun. shows like ninja turtles, hasbro's transformers. books like neuromancer. we probably would've seen more its just basically, since the late 90s japan has been sliding downwards economically and their influence has begun to wane.

I still love reading old sci-fi books that assume that the Japanese economic explosion would continue and Japanese would become the world's business language.

ZeoVGM

Banned
As soon as I heard about the in game switch shirt I knew Kyle would hate it. It goes against what he's want in a game like that. Ben gave the out but really. $20 for those bullet points is super light and why call it a season pass if it's the only way to buy of it.

I look forward to Damianis video on it he did with Simmons from Yo Videogames

Don't get me wrong, I think the shirt is pretty lame to have in Zelda. And people should certainly wait to hear more before buying it.

But assuming it's cut content or that it won't be worth it is kind of jumping to conclusions.

Ouch, Kyle did not enjoy Pokken I see. lol The game is weird. I enjoy it and think it's a fun game, but the lack of post release support is what killed it for me.

luchadork

I still love reading old sci-fi books that assume that the Japanese economic explosion would continue and Japanese would become the world's business language.

you got any recommendations? neuromancer was revelatory for me. read it while listening to die antwoord on loop. felt like i was in the future.

you got any recommendations? neuromancer was revelatory for me. read it while listening to die antwoord on loop. felt like i was in the future.

Don't remember any titles off the top of my head. I read a TON of sci-fi short story compendiums and they all kind of blurred together....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom