• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roubjon

I'm going to skip the Nier section, just to be safe. I'm 30 hours into the game so I'm worried hearing anyone's impressions who has completed the game might shine some contextual light on things. I hope Ben's championing the game though, it's one of a kind.

I know the frame rate sucks at times in BOTW, but if that particular lore area is so important to Damiani, then why not explore it in handheld mode? Framerate issues solved.
The game has frozen on me multiple times in big battles, but it just seems to complain that entire areas are unplayable is a tad exaggerated when the game can be played in a mode without​ it.

I know the frame rate sucks at times in BOTW, but if that particular lore area is so important to Damiani, then why not explore it in handheld mode? Framerate issues solved.
The game has frozen on me multiple times in big battles, but it just seems to complain that entire areas are unplayable is a tad exaggerated when the game can be played in a mode without​ it.
Well he was telling his first time playing the game, how would he know it would have performance at that point. Plus he was playing prior to release so maybe the reports from DF and others hadn't noted the game runs better in handheld mode. Because unless I was told that I wouldn't think that to be the case. I'd say the opposite.

And finally it's still a weak workaround and something that players shouldn't need to doin in the first place.

If the game can be played in two modes and you have to switch (lol like Switch) from one to another mid session just to make an area play better, I mean I guess that's technically a fix but it's still a problem.

Joqu

Hm, I don't think handheld mode's a great excuse, really. If someone wants to play it all the way on a TV on a system like the Switch it's reasonable enough for them to expect a game to have no such issues, especially in that really important area. I do feel like Zelda's performance is somewhat exaggerated, but I think people hold Nintendo to a certain standard when it comes to things like framerate. I get that. (Not to say there are no other devs that are held to such standards either, I guess I'm comparing to Bethesda games, really...)

That said, it's an interesting factor! The majority of my time playing Breath of the Wild has been in handheld mode and I can't help but think how this has shaped my perception of the game, as it has been a very pleasant experience to me on a tech level too. I guess that's not how some people want to experience a console game for the majority of their playthrough, but to me there's nothing more immersive than playing a game on a handheld in bed with a nice pair of headphones on. My Switch hasn't seen much TV use yet, though I'm sure that'll change with games like Splatoon.

Well he was telling his first time playing the game, how would he know it would have performance at that point. Plus he was playing prior to release so maybe the reports from DF and others hadn't noted the game runs better in handheld mode. Because unless I was told that I wouldn't think that to be the case. I'd say the opposite.

It was more he said he didn't like exploring or spending time in that area because of the performance than his actual disappointed 1st opinion on it.

I also agree it's not he ideal solution, but to grin and bear the framerate rather than play the smooth version doesn't help either.

Ultimadrago

Huber on the latest Frametrap: "I JUST DON'T WANT MY SHIT TO CHOP!"

lol. Couldn't say it better.

And consider this my 800th co-sign on the idea of separate Spoilercasts. This should definitely be a thing for games worth discussing at length.

It was more he said he didn't like exploring or spending time in that area because of the performance than his actual disappointed 1st opinion on it.

I also agree it's not he ideal solution, but to grin and bear the framerate rather than play the smooth version doesn't help either.
I think BOTW deserves some grief for the framerate (patch this crap, Nintendo), but I do find the continued complaints funny when, IMO, it's still better than the N64 Zeldas in that regard. I quit playing OoT (Ice Cave I think? Thereabouts) because I found it straight-up unplayable. If not for the 3DS rerelease, I'd never have beaten that game!

20 fps sucks, but at least it's locked...

I've never really noticed this before, but I just started the podcast and at times it feels like the Allies heads are swimming around and avoiding their mics a little too much. Soft then loud then soft again. It's something that doesn't really happen with other shows I listen to, so I hope it's an issue that can be ameliorated

Yeah, I noticed that too. It got really quiet at points. The video also seems a bit washed out.

I'm going to skip the Nier section, just to be safe. I'm 30 hours into the game so I'm worried hearing anyone's impressions who has completed the game might shine some contextual light on things. I hope Ben's championing the game though, it's one of a kind.

Ben's the only one who has even started it, let alone finished it, so it's safe to watch. They completely avoid spoilers.

I really can't understand how Huber could think Horizon's side quests are dogshit. The way they're set up isn't really that dissimilar to Witcher 3, a game he loves, so it came off to me like he'd been playing lots of BotW and wanted Horizon to be something it isn't. There are some pointless side quests in there (especially early on) but there's also plenty of world building in them that couldn't have done any other way.

Not trying to single out Huber but I feel like we're going to get a lot of "every open world game should be just like BotW" arguments moving forward and IMO that completely misses the point. Not every game has to be the same. If anything, I want to see Horizon 2 move further in Witcher 3's direction, while also improving on what they did right. More side quests in general, more production value put into side quest stories, more world building, unique hunts and so on.

Great show regardless. I'm really looking forward to a NieR discussion whenever the others finally get around to playing it.

Karu

I didn't really buy into the world of Horizon as a whole so the side quest did nothing for me on a writing and story level. I don't know what Huber's specific disconnect here was, but yeah... I can see it.

VanWinkle

Man, I disagree with Huber so much regarding side quests in Horizon. Like, I can't understand at all him saying that the NPCs in the side quests have no personality and are just robotic and that the structure is limiting. I found that and the narrative aspect far, FAR beyond the simplicity of Zelda's. These are side stories. They're not "moments of freedom." I'm shocked he feels so highly of Zelda's complete filler side quests (at least from the ones I've played).

I feel like he was just loving Zelda so much that anything that deviated from that formula felt frustrating.

Karu

Live with Youtube Gaming.

Edit: @ FrameTrap Would I give my favourite games of alltime on a full-on review-scale, 100 out of 100 points?

Bloodborne - Hmmm... Nah.
Mass Effect 2 - lol
Tales of Symphonia - lolol

But I am way more leniant with 5/5. There are a plethora of games I would give that score. Though, I only operate on a purely subjective 5-point scale (1 - I did not like it; 2 - It is OK; 3 - I like it; 4 - I really like it; 5 - It is fantastic).

Wagram

I have all the respect in the world for Huber, but I absolutely can't stand the way Zelda handles story. I need barriers to glide narrative in a better fashion.

Hasney

I have all the respect in the world for Huber, but I absolutely can't stand the way Zelda handles story. I need barriers to glide narrative in a better fashion.

Nah way. I would be disappointed if they went back to the old way of storytelling. I feel the way it went about the story in a non-linear fashion and exploring to find those moments was fantastic.
Expected honestly. Hope everyone gets back on their feet.

Google doesn't understand that the brand YouTube has on weight as people are there for the creators, not them. If YouTube shut down tomorrow, DailyMotion or whoever would just replace them.

Auctopus

I didn't really buy into the world of Horizon as a whole so the side quest did nothing for me on a writing and story level. I don't know what Huber's specific disconnect here was, but yeah... I can see it.

Yeh, I mentioned it in the OT but during my playthrough I was thinking how I should be more invested than I was. The world just didn't feel as alive as some other more notable open-world games. I haven't finished them all yet either but I've played about 5-6 side quests and every single one has been "go to area, highlight track, kill enemy at the end of track". It's like satire of detective mode questing almost.

wapplew

Man, I disagree with Huber so much regarding side quests in Horizon. Like, I can't understand at all him saying that the NPCs in the side quests have no personality and are just robotic and that the structure is limiting. I found that and the narrative aspect far, FAR beyond the simplicity of Zelda's. These are side stories. They're not "moments of freedom." I'm shocked he feels so highly of Zelda's complete filler side quests (at least from the ones I've played).

I feel like he was just loving Zelda so much that anything that deviated from that formula felt frustrating.

That Ben disagreement look, but I understand where Huber comes from.
He did those side quest structure way too many times, if you not interested on the side story, it can be tedious.

Hope Ben will talk to him after he finish the game, maybe spoilercast or something.

Mista Koo

Google doesn't understand that the brand YouTube has on weight as people are there for the creators, not them. If YouTube shut down tomorrow, DailyMotion or whoever would just replace them.
I think they understand. The main goal of that show is to promote YouTube Gaming since it's not even remotely well known.
But I mean it's a live show on YouTube that they aren't advertising at all. And they're not even utilizing YouTube features (no timestamps or anything like that for later viewing).

Most of Zelda's side quests are so boring and filler esque (I've come across maybe a couple actually interesting ones worth doing so far in my 50+ hours). Horizon doesn't have great underlying design either but at least it pairs a narrative with combat encounters (the latter at which the game excels in).

More than half of my side quest log in Zelda consists: get 10 of X item, find me this specific weapon, go clear out this area of enemies.

And while I certainly don't mind that (it's not as if in Horizon, your not just killing dinos/humans), in Zelda it feels like there's not much in the way of motivation to do them. Some interesting NPC dialogue but that's about it. The rewards usually are pretty terrible and since BotW is all about freedom, not much content is actually gated behind anything (encounters, areas or otherwise). They feel a lot like MMO quests actually where they serve a better purpose as indicators of useful content you should check out rather than meaningful side content in and of itself.

I think Witcher 3 remains the king of both open world​ design and side content and struck the best balance. In that game, the reward for exploration was not just beautiful vistas, or hunting dinos or finding yet another korok seed, but typically very well written side quests and side quest chains that were rewarding to do as part of that world, with the material rewards and visual visual being extras.

The tower out of nowhere sidequest in TW3 I think is a great example of that.

Edit: It also doesn't help that BotW's story is trash and told extremely poorly, so it relies solely on the strength and charm of its NPC cast.

sora87

Lol Huber's reaction to Damiani's 120 hours in BotW
tumblr_ma0do9CrEh1qi2sux.gif

The aspect of the Zelda side quests and I think the part that resonated with Huber was it didn't tell you in most cases exactly where to go to complete it. So it felt less checklist like and more wandering around discovery

The other aspect that I think helped huber feel this way is you notice for the most part he wasn't seeking out to knock out side quests in Zelda in large batches. They were more things he'd do if he stumbled into it along the way. While horizon it sounds like he'd hunker down and work large batches of side quests at once.

Because the stories, rewards, etc in Zelda side quests weren't that memorable to me. But the fact they immediately didn't stick a waypoint on where to go next and you had to ask people or search it out yourself was something different than most games.

That feel when Colin Moriarty's new gig is closing in on EZA patreon numbers in 1 day (and well above the individual KF patreons).

I don't have quite the hate for him that some here seem to have but I don't know what to think anymore lol. Then again who knows if it's sustainable, must be a ton of pressure to make content that keep people invested.

Maybe Bosman needs to start a pseudo political show with bonus bits :d.

Auctopus

That feel when Colin Moriarty's new gig is closing in on EZA patreon numbers in 1 day (and well above the individual KF patreons).

His Patreon had the reach of Kinda Funny, gaming forums but also people interested in History & Politics so he's obviously going to have more demographics to draw from.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

I don't have quite the hate for him that some here seem to have but I don't know what to think anymore lol. Then again who knows if it's sustainable, must be a ton of pressure to make content that keep people invested.

Maybe Bosman needs to start a pseudo political show with bonus bits :d.

Being a bully sells, that's the sad truth. 100% that other guy Milo or something would have had a bestseller if he didn't jump on the pedophile train. Just rail against outrage and PC culture and you'll attract enough scum to your cause. Also no hate here but strong distaste for the guy being complicit in the harassment that his toxic following does. There's just no excuse when you find the excuses to constantly pile on people less fortunate than you under the guise of being the martyr against the PC outrage but then you let people like that fester under you without having a strong official stance shunning them.
C6eb9HxWYAAkF-N.jpg

And this isn't just one guy in his following for days around 800-1000 people have downvoted KF videos and called Greg, Tim, Nick traitors. I've seen people harass other people Colin had feuds with sending dickpics with disgusting messages and what not. This is a significant part of his following. And you don't get scum like that to follow you without reason. I'd bet that this isn't something you would see happen to this extent with any of the allies. Nevertheless it would never come to Colin's mind to call shit like that out instead of still railing against people doing peaceful protests. Nah because money. The best you get out of him is "both sides were wrong...." Actions speak louder than words and certainly publicly despite pleas for empathy this guys actions has driven me away entirely mind you I listened and enjoyed his content for years. I would be happy to never ever deal with any of that again.

Also if you still like Colin whatever but don't be blind to this shit is the least I ask. If you're one of his diehard fans at least try to do change from within to let guys like the above know no amount of "just a joke man why the outrage" makes it ok and pls encourage Colin to be publicly kinder all around(since I failed) but who am kidding I doubt that's why most people subscribe to the guy.

Edit: Yup his fanbase is still at it 1100 downvotes on their latest Mass Effect video...

Naythan

His Patreon had the reach of Kinda Funny, gaming forums but also people interested in History & Politics so he's obviously going to have more demographics to draw from.

Could be 100% wrong but I could see him have difficulty sustaining these numbers unless he goes really hard into politics. If he is legit going to be posting videos discussing philosophy and history and books, he will lose people over time. He's gonna have to keep forming a hard-right, defensive fanbase to sustain this momentum.

Hasney

Yeah, and the two Kinda Funny things have lost close to $8k since the 12th when this all kicked off, so that's probably gone straight to him.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's getting bonus money from white supremacists all across the internet who want to send a message. Numbers will tank after a month or two because sending a message for that long costs money and his audience doesn't want to watch a garbage history show that doesn't even mention video games.

Anyway, congrats EZA!!! Crazy that it's been a year, can't wait to see what the future brings! You guys definitely deserve to celebrate.

I doubt it. If it happens it would give me some hope in humanity back but let's be real. When I look at the American President, when I look at Brexit, when I look inside my own country and the rising populist rhetoric condemning globalization scapegoating the "other" I doubt people have problems to sustain the funding just to have their concerning views echoed back at them. People like that enjoy having more voices out there so it all at some point just becomes normalized. You can't disagree with those voices cause it's then labeled as outrage, character assassination or an assault of free speech....
To be fair Easy Allies doesn't have a strong message or focus. You can't easily explain them to anyone, nor can they explain themselves. Just see how Jones Brand Managered his explanation on why he calls themselves journalists on the podcast. I mean a huge part of their pitch is "GameTrailers is back support us now," and some of their shows kept the name despite having nothing to do with each other just because they didn't know what they were gonna do.
And then having a huge established fan base definitely helps. Look at what Drew Scanlon (Cloth Map/ex-GB/blinking white guy) got in one day. Funnily enough he was inspired by Danny O'Dwyer (Noclip) who was in part inspired by EZA. Also I'm pretty sure most of EZA patrons were GT fans.

Speaking of GameTrailers, I didn't realize IGN bought them to actually host game trailers on their YouTube channel. Makes a lot of sense but it surprised me lol.
I don't agree with that. I certainly over the last year have strongly felt at several points that they advocate empathy, being decent to each other, being open.
And more importantly they practice it too(unlike a certain someone that calls for reasoned discourse and then goes on to target 1 side in the debate and troll them).
And that is why this is largely a positive community. You see it the most in the way people disagree with each other. This is in stark contrast to what happened at KF where the community has been incredibly toxic as one side you had Greg and Tim wanting to build something positive and on the other side you had Colin's following finding their way in.

Like we have people here that have been very crass and outspoken if those people tried that stuff against Colin they might have reconsidered their stance on feeling on only L&R as long as you agree. Cause I'm pretty sure what they would have received there would be some harassment with Colin maybe throwing in that they don't know shit and are a nobody anyway.

Mista Koo

To be fair Easy Allies doesn't have a strong message or focus. You can't easily explain them to anyone, nor can they explain themselves. Just see how Jones Brand Managered his explanation on why he calls themselves journalists on the podcast. I mean a huge part of their pitch is "GameTrailers is back support us now," and some of their shows kept the name despite having nothing to do with each other just because they didn't know what they were gonna do.
And then having a huge established fan base definitely helps. Look at what Drew Scanlon (Cloth Map/ex-GB/blinking white guy) got in one day. Funnily enough he was inspired by Danny O'Dwyer (Noclip) who was in part inspired by EZA. Also I'm pretty sure most of EZA patrons were GT fans.

Speaking of GameTrailers, I didn't realize IGN bought them to actually host game trailers on their YouTube channel. Makes a lot of sense but it surprised me lol.

Servbot24

Banned
It's getting bonus money from white supremacists all across the internet who want to send a message. Numbers will tank after a month or two because sending a message for that long costs money and his audience doesn't want to watch a garbage history show that doesn't even mention video
They do want to feel as though they're smart and to have their pre-conceived beliefs legitimized on a weekly basis though.

Auctopus

Don't agree with all of that Mista Koo but I definitely agree that a more succinct branding/definition of what Easy Allies is/do would be a very fortuitous thing to develop over the next year.

Improving the consistency of what is streamed on Twitch and when, plus having a better idea of when the shows that require more time-investment from the Allies are going to launch/air are two ways they could work towards this.

I hope it all goes well tonight for the Allies and all those that are attending. I really wish I could be there but living all the way over in England has put the kibosh on that :(

Anyway, I look forward to reading and watching stuff about it.

Mista Koo

I don't agree with that. I certainly over the last year have strongly felt at several points that they advocate empathy, being decent to each other, being open.
And more importantly they practice it too(unlike a certain someone that calls for reasoned discourse and then goes on to target 1 side in the debate and troll them).
And that is why this is largely a positive community. You see it the most in the way people disagree with each other. This is in stark contrast to what happened at KF where the community has been incredibly toxic as one side you had Greg and Tim wanting to build something positive and on the other side you had Colin's following finding their way in.

Like we have people here that have been very crass and outspoken if those people tried that stuff against Colin they might have reconsidered their stance on feeling on only L&R as long as you agree. Cause I'm pretty sure what they would have received there would be some harassment with Colin maybe throwing in that they don't know shit and are a nobody anyway.
I meant who are they and what do they do. As content creators not as human beings.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I meant who are they and what do they do. As content creators not as human beings.

Me too? You can't just divorce the two, even less so when you're a company that is basically 9 people instead of 1000s. I was very much speaking about EZA as a brand and their core message. Think in the vein of Nintendo as a brand and their core message. One associates more than just mario and zelda with Nintendo it goes into the profile of games they cultivate, the kid friendliness, play being at the heart of their design philosophy etc etc. In the same way I associate positivity, respect, decency, empathy with the EZA brand at least so far. Maybe you only meant their content profile excluding the brand? Even then I would still disagree. Yes EZA does a lot of weird shit but undeniably at the end of the day their content profile is gaming focused. If I had to describe EZA I would describe them as a gaming channel that also does other stuff.

Very much sorry if I'm still misunderstanding something.

Hasney

Ha, I have that "Don't give a shit" power that Damiani has unintentionally. I forget the spoilers and am reminded only when I see that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom