• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

munchie64

How's the new group stream game selection work? Like is it just a free for all with people saying games and then the most said win? Thinking of upgrading to $2.

How's the new group stream game selection work? Like is it just a free for all with people saying games and then the most said win? Thinking of upgrading to $2.

Basically, the three games with the most hearts get in the weekly poll, then Kyle adds a fourth as a wildcard.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Man gotta say patreon posts are not optimal for the whole voting process there is no way to order for most hearts etc and I just spend like 1 minute just clicking load more.

farisr

What a funny little coincidence. Yesterday I was about to have lunch and couldn't think of what to watch in the background.

Then I remembered that I hadn't gotten around to watching the Planet Earth II UHD yet despite having it for nearly 6 months now (and man does it look good in HDR). Put it on and the first episode is about Islands, and mentions the Galapagos and I immediately thought of the upcoming presentations, and it also happens to feature that segment that went viral as well.

Little did I know that just a few hours later Damiani would be featuring it as a part of his presentation.

Mista Koo

Can't you show entire Youtube videos if you show the username and Youtube interface? Or is that just for shorter clips from a video?

Man gotta say patreon posts are not optimal for the whole voting process there is no way to order for most hearts etc and I just spend like 1 minute just clicking load more.
Yep. Now, imagine doing that every week

I think it should be a persistent list, or a monthly one, I don't know.
Also if it's going on a poll regardless they shouldn't have specified how the games are chosen. It should've been "Kyle picks from the top options. This way the audience choices can't be worse than Kyle's previously.

Hasney

I dont really know of a solution that doesn't rely on honesty. Maybe a Google Form where you have to put your Patreon name and do a lookup on those eligible maybe. Not sure if that would be more or less work. Depends how easy it is to export the names from Patron.

Can't you show entire Youtube videos if you show the username and Youtube interface? Or is that just for shorter clips from a video?

Yep. Now, imagine doing that every week

I think it should be a persistent list, or a monthly one, I don't know.
Also if it's going on a poll regardless they shouldn't have specified how the games are chosen. It should've been "Kyle picks from the top options. This way the audience choices can't be worse than Kyle's previously.
Yea I've wondered the logistics since it was announced

And the new Ben emote is a 10/10

Mikey Jr.

The podcast quality literally went up another level.

The lighting/look always had this real mundane look about it.

This one REALLY pops. Feels like the image quality is better, has a more lively feel.

It's like when Kinda Funny went from the bedroom to the studio. Same sort of jump. Not as dramatic obviously, but a definite improvement.

abrack08

Oh man, the new setup looks great in the podcast. Ben's
Forza Ultimate Edition admission
was hilarious, the first toaster strudel moment is great. I love the poptart / strudel episodes.

ShadyK54

Only a few minutes into the podcast, & Kyle’s goal is funny.

Immediately after stating it, Ian mixes up the Carrey’s (he says Drew when referring to Jim) lol. Bit or not, pretty funny.

Edit: Dat Ben wink lol.

wmlk

The new lights and orientation was an investment late in September that's probably already paid off from the addition they got to last month's Patreon total tbh. If not, they're easily going to make that up this month.

It's the type of thing where you can improve something and get huge returns for minimal cost. It's tough to find areas where you can improve like that, but it's great that they did.

Tankard

Whoa, nice improvement with the new set up and new lights. Podcast looking amazing.

Also glad to have Cup of jones back in a weekly basis, i can barely feel he is doing it over a livestream.

Mikey Jr.

Whoa, nice improvement with the new set up and new lights. Podcast looking amazing.

Also glad to have Cup of jones back in a weekly basis, i can barely feel he is doing it over a livestream.

EZA is slowing refining itself. New tiers, shows getting reworked, new lights, etc etc.

Good stuff.

Axass

The community choice is DEFINITELY not working. 228 comments, mostly with 0-3 hearts each, full of games they already played, games from 30 years ago, games perfect for a 2 hours stream, such as FFIX (nominated thrice) or Divinity 2, or unknown stuff. Also you have to press "load more" 20 times to see everything, this heavily skews things in favour of the early posts.

The community choice is DEFINITELY not working. 228 comments, mostly with 0-3 hearts each, full of games they already played, games from 30 years ago, games perfect for a 2 hours stream, such as FFIX (nominated thrice) or Divinity 2, or unknown stuff. Also you have to press "load more" 20 times to see everything, this heavily skews things in favour of the early posts.

Yeah, it's a mess. Kyle's gotta be pulling a GOB (imadeahugemistake.gif) after this. I really don't know what the best solution would be though because there'll be issues no matter what they go with. Before people complained about Kyle's picks and the tendency of the community to pick a certain kind of game every time (Nintendo and meme games mostly) but now it's just an outright popularity contest, which I'm guessing will lean even further in those directions.

An idea might be to let the community suggest a bunch of games and then let the Allies themselves actually vote/pick out of those suggestions. That way they'd pick a game they're actually interested in streaming together.

I haven't watched the group stream or podcast yet but I'm looking forward to them based on the reception here.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a mess. Kyle's gotta be pulling a GOB (imadeahugemistake.gif) after this. I really don't know what the best solution would be though because there'll be issues no matter what they go with. Before people complained about Kyle's picks and the tendency of the community to pick a certain kind of game every time (Nintendo and meme games mostly) but now it's just an outright popularity contest, which I'm guessing will lean even further in those directions.

An idea might be to let the community suggest a bunch of games and then let the Allies themselves actually vote/pick out of those suggestions. That way they'd pick a game they're actually interested in streaming together.

I haven't watched the group stream or podcast yet but I'm looking forward to them based on the reception here.

Of course, for all of these very reasonable and accurate complaints, the current top 3 would all be very entertaining streams, if for completely different reasons, which is ultimately what the whole point is.

But yeah, it's kind of a mess.

ShadyK54

Golf Story hype with 58 votes (from the comments I could load), damn.

Swords could be fun, too. The last card game went great.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
ignoring the voting system itself from a purely infrastructure standpoint things that patreon would need to implement so this type of voting system doesn't feel this bad to use:

- automatic sorting of most liked
- automatic expanding display of all choices(like when scrolling down twitter)
or just have all choices displayed from the get go
- search option for choices(so people can check if their choice is already mentioned)
- exclude option for choices having less than x likes

probably a couple other things I'm not thinking about but case in point patreon posts weren't really engineered to handle stuff like this and I don't even know if there's a suitable alternative you could outsource this function to(stuff like people using strawpoll for poll functions).

Yeah, the voting system will need a lot of work...

Even using a outside system could prove difficult as you can't verify someone is a unique patreon account.

My first suggestion would be to limit the committee selection to two games. That plus two allies choices would be the pool.

Ben, as a (now occasional) wrestling fan, you should absolutely be dismissive of the WWE 2K series. That series is everything the people who don't play sports games ignorantly state about sports games. The gameplay is a mess, the character models are stuck somewhere in between the PS2 and PS3/360, the animations are garbage and it still runs on an engine that dates back to the PS1. Do not give it the benefit of the doubt just because Huber and Brad love wrestling, especially when there's a wrestling game that's actually good out there in Fire Pro Wrestling (which still hasn't had a group stream, has it... :/).

Oh and Clone Wars > OG Star Wars Trilogy.

Hasney

Ben, as a (now occasional) wrestling fan, you should absolutely be dismissive of the WWE 2K series. That series is everything the people who don't play sports games ignorantly state about sports games. The gameplay is a mess, the character models are stuck somewhere in between the PS2 and PS3/360, the animations are garbage and it still runs on an engine that dates back to the PS1. Do not give it the benefit of the doubt just because Huber and Brad love wrestling, especially when there's a wrestling game that's actually good out there in Fire Pro Wrestling (which still hasn't had a group stream, has it... :/).

Yuuup. Here's a video from a preview event that glitches out at 14:19 https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=VIRiHnz43iU

Not so bad, right? Its a preview event! What if I told you it's a big that hasn't been fixed for 6 years and therefore, 6 games?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY

Well worth watching all of that second video because it is hilarious.

HeavenlyE

I know the voting right now seems pretty hectic and overwhelming but I don't think we can call it a failure until we see a few weeks of the group stream using this method, mostly because I'm interested in seeing what games get picked for the next few group streams

munchie64

I know the voting right now seems pretty hectic and overwhelming but I don't think we can call it a failure until we see a few weeks of the group stream using this method, mostly because I'm interested in seeing what games get picked for the next few group streams
I agree with this right now, but it definitely sound overwhelming.

I do think it (or another, better method of they can find one) will make the choices better which is the main problem people had, right?

Hasney

I do think it (or another, better method of they can find one) will make the choices better which is the main problem people had, right?

SENRAN KAGURA: PEACH BEACH SPLASH is currently one of the top 3, which makes it 0 for 1 against Kyles poll picks so far. Golf Story is up there too, which is one Kyle already put to vote, so no improvement there. Third looks tight, or at least tight in the number of comments I can be bothered to expaind.

EDIT: 3rd is Secret Hitler

My suggestion for voting: Make the top three pick a Facebook poll.

Why Facebook?
- Engagement with non-Patrons. If non-Patrons are able to make a preliminary vote (essentially), I think they would be more invested in 'their' pick, and potentially become a Patron just to be able to have a voice in the final vote. EZA does have a little bit of a members club vibe sometimes – throwing non-Patrons something shows that all all viewers' opinions are valued.
- Facebook has the infrastructure. You can setup a poll and allow for other picks to be added by the community, which can also be voted on.
- Growing the audience. When someone votes on a poll, comments on Facebook, it appears on their friends' feed. It can gain a lot of traction. The opportunity for someone new to see that people are streaming something cool, and that a friend essentially recommends them, is a decent push towards actually tuning in.

Facebook is a fantastic tool for gaining new viewers and driving engagement among existing fans. EZA is currently underutilising it hugely.

My two cents.

Hasney

No thanks. The voting tier is $1 anyway and I don't use Facebook.

Yes, they should use it as a tool if they're not. No, that shouldn't be used for things like group stream votes.

Auctopus

EZA is slowing refining itself. New tiers, shows getting reworked, new lights, etc etc.

Good stuff.

Yeah, it's great to see. I'd usually listen to Frame Trap on my commute as there wasn't a huge benefit to watching it but now with the lighting and staging, it's a much better visual experience too.

dickroach

Kyle bringing up "they run really well" to describe a sequel to a party game:
star.png

new podcast sponsor is an easy 5 stars

munchie64

SENRAN KAGURA: PEACH BEACH SPLASH is currently one of the top 3, which makes it 0 for 1 against Kyles poll picks so far. Golf Story is up there too, which is one Kyle already put to vote, so no improvement there. Third looks tight, or at least tight in the number of comments I can be bothered to expaind.

EDIT: 3rd is Secret Hitler
Eh. I never had a problem with Kyle's selections in the first place. If this makes more fans happy with that process then whatever.

jett

D-Member
Just watched the presentations. All 3 were absolutely brilliant.

I wonder if Damiani knows that Planet Earth scene was of a number of iguanas and not the same one?

Wait what? You just destroyed the dream.

lol

Documentaries like Planet Earth are edited together from hundreds of hours of different sorts of footage. It might be a documentary but they're still trying to create a coherent narrative. Those things did happen though, just not exactly that way.

Bonus: all sounds effects are foley (i.e. fake, created in a soundstage).

Good stuff.

EZA rebirth

EZA: Arcade Edition

ShadyK54

Yeah, seriously. And I’m sure Kyle is paying just as much attention, if not more, to how using Patreon for suggestions is & isn’t working.

If there’s problems with it, then another solution will be found.

hank_tree

lol

Documentaries like Planet Earth are edited together from hundreds of hours of different sorts of footage. It might be a documentary but they're still trying to create a coherent narrative. Those things did happen though, just not exactly that way.

I'm always blown away when people don't realize that the sounds effects in nature documentaries are faked. Like they obviously didn't mic up that bear before she gave birth.

Oh man, watching the SNES Classic stream has me remembering just how many letters I have had published in gaming magazines over the years. Made it into Gamepro, PSM, OPM, and EGM. I always sent my really crazy ones to PSM. I wonder where those guys are now.

ShadyK54

I'm always blown away when people don't realize that the sounds effects in nature documentaries are faked. Like they obviously didn't mic up that bear before she gave birth.

Suffice to say, I’ve never thought about this (for the less obvious stuff, of course).

Then again, I really don’t watch nature documentaries.

jett

D-Member

Suffice to say, I've never thought about this (for the less obvious stuff, of course).

Then again, I really don't watch nature documentaries.

Honestly I hadn't realized this until recently, it's pretty obvious when you think about it. I think they've exaggerated it recently, what with being able to "hear" the pitter-patter of an ant's footsteps and dem munching on leaves lol.

Axass

This is almost as bad as when people made me notice that photos of galaxies and nebulae (nebulas?) are painted by artists.

Or when it was revealed that dinosaurs were actually plumed, or the first time I read that ancient Greek statues were very colorful.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

To be clear, not ALL of the audio is necessarily faked. I would think most things like unique bird calls and the like are more likely to be captured as wild sound by parabolic or shotgun mics and things like that.

abrack08

I wonder if Damiani knows that Planet Earth scene was of a number of iguanas and not the same one?

Wait what? You just destroyed the dream.

lol

The BBC was actually pretty adamant that it was just one lizard in the chase scene. They filmed others for some close ups but according to them all the action did really happen to one iguana.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40272104

Reports on Wednesday suggested more than one iguana was actually filmed, with scenes then stitched together.
But the BBC has said only one animal was chased by the snakes - with other iguanas only filmed for close-ups...

But the BBC defended the Sir David Attenborough-fronted programme, with a spokeswoman saying: "The BBC strongly refutes any suggestion that the award-winning iguana v snakes sequence was 'faked'.
"The final iguana chase in which one iguana escapes the snakes was - unusually for natural history filming - shot using two cameras, allowing us to follow both the individual iguana and the snakes' point of view.
"What was captured in the field was extraordinary animal behaviour which had never been witnessed or filmed before."

She added: "As is common in natural history film-making, pick-up shots were filmed separately - for example close-ups of iguana eyes - to make the story of the sequence as clear as possible for the audience.

Ah yeah, that's ignorance on my part. I do honestly want to get into wrestling though and am interested in Fire Pro if you're saying it's good.

Amazing Fiasco!
The set up made it out sound like it would be a generic mess, but they just took it to crazy and hilarious places. MVP was Ben for sure, great stuff.

Top Bottom