• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Easy Tethering For Nintendo 3DS" Announced For (Some) Android Phones In Japan

App is coming to Docomo Android smart phones & tablets from tomorrow (via the Google Play Store) to allow 3DS to connect online via the mobile network. App is free and will apparently allow customers who have never used tethering before to set up the process easily. Will make use of the WPS protocol.

Compatible models:
Smartphone

Galaxy S5 SC-04F (On sale May 15th)
Xperia (tm) Z2 SO-03F (On sale May 21st)
AQUOS ZETA SH-04F (On sale May 23rd)
ARROWS NX F-05F (On sale end of May)
Xperia (tm) A2 SO-04F (On sale mid-June)

Tablets
AQUOS PAD SH-06F (On sale mid-June)
Xperia (tm) Z2 Tablet SO-05F (On sale end of June)

*Compatible models will be expanded over time.

Release Date: May 15th, 2014
Cost: Free
Compatible Systems: 3DS OG, 3DS XL (Note: 2DS is not available in Japan)

NpHRwHl.png
[/IMG]

For people who download and use the software (and then complete a survey) Nintendo will offer an un-specified VC game for the 3DS via download code. Survey to be available from early July to September 30th, 2014.

Link: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2014/140514.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2014/140514_2.html

Tripon

Seems like its only related to Domoco as well. Hope to see it expanded to the U.S. and Europe carriers.

Come on T-mobile, be the first ones to do this!

Tripon

Can't you just use the mobile hotspot app on the phone for that?

Yeah, but the app allows me to just say to them, just download that and click on it vs trying to explain how to do it in five minutes, get frustrated, grab their phones and 3DS', and do it for them.

Hey, now this is actually a thing. Not that it's extraordinarily hard to set up tethering on the average smart phone, but still.

GulAtiCa

Neat. Would it bypass the phone's normal tendency to try to block that? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but done some android phones, depending on carrier in NA, have to be rooted to even do do tethering?

If this could make it so I can play 3DS games on the go without paying Verizon extra or rooting my phone, that be great. Assuming I don't need to do either right now :p

Neat. Would it bypass the phone's normal tendency to try to block that? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but done some android phones, depending on carrier in NA, have to be rooted to even do do tethering?

If this could make it so I can play 3DS games on the go without paying Verizon extra or rooting my phone, that be great. Assuming I don't need to do either right now :p

The app is being produced for only one carrier's phones (Docomo), so I'd say it's still restricted.

watershed

Banned
That's cool for Japanese gamers but it seems like something so small and easy that Nintendo should have made this app years ago. But better late than never I guess.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I fail to see any point. Practically all phones can do tethering to just about any other device already, with or without Nintendo support.

How well does online even work over mobile networks? Does it use up much data?

In Japan coverage is generally pretty good & fast, especially in the highest populated areas. I only ever lose coverage up in the mountians and even then that's uncommon.

On my last two Nexus phones, I've tethered them to my 3DS for online play to downloading games from the eShop. Is this not available for all Android phones, or is this app a way to make it easier to do so?

jwk94

Nah, that was made illegal I think? Basically carriers can't block tethering anymore. I tethered my vita to my phone to download Jetpack Joyride when that came out.

Top Bottom