• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Echochrome 2 - Screens + PR (E3 2010)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
echochrome™ ii
FACT SHEET

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
Developer: SCE Japan Studio
Platform: PlayStation®3 Computer Entertainment System and PlayStation®Network
Peripherals: PlayStation®Eye Camera and PlayStation®Move Motion Controller
Genre: Action/Puzzle
Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending
Target Release: Fall 2010

OVERVIEW
Presenting a brand new take on the puzzle genre, echochrome™ ii introduces a unique twist on gameplay that lets players use pure imagination to solve puzzles by controlling light and shadows. A follow-up to the original PlayStation Network hit, echochrome, echochrome ii introduces the PlayStation Eye camera and PlayStation Move motion controller to the series, offering a brand new experience to fans of the action/puzzle genre.

Utilizing the PlayStation Move motion controller and the PlayStation Eye camera, players can rotate levels and control light and shadows to change the way objects are viewed and the shadows they cast. The ultimate goal is to lead your character through the path from beginning to end, while learning how a variety of different objects can be combined with perspectives, angles and the use of light can be used to help solve the puzzle. Beware … much like echochrome, the possibilities are infinite and there is always more than meets the eye as every person can view each puzzle differently!

echochrome ii features an artistic presentation style that fans of the franchise will recognize, however, this time with bold colors and lively music to put any player in the gaming mood. Players can also look forward to the new use of color, which gives hints to help players through the puzzles.

KEY FEATURES
‘FLASHLIGHT’ FEATURE – Using the PlayStation Move motion controller as a flashlight, players can create shadows to make a path and navigate the character to a goal.
NEW PUZZLE TIMES - Hidden goals, jumping pads, holes, transporting gates, and so on. Rotate the level itself to create a specific shadow!
USER GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own level using the PlayStation Move motion controller and your imagination, and share with the world! Players from around the world will not only be able to play your level, but rate it as well!
YOUTUBE UPLOADER – Capture yourself playing a level and upload the replay data directly on YouTube.com.
NEW LOOK AND FEEL – echochrome ii brings a brand new look to the franchise with bold new colors and upbeat music, expanding on the unique artistic presentation style that echochrome established.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BeeDog said:
Looks much more appealing than the first game which was merely okay.
The first game had a great style, great music, great concept, great everything except the actual game wasn't that great.

But yeah, this looks fantastic!

Madman

chubigans said:
The first game had a great style, great music, great concept, great everything except the actual game wasn't that great.

But yeah, this looks fantastic!
I thought 1 was great all around.

Does this one require the Move?

StuBurns

Banned
I thought the few seconds of this Sony showed earlier looked great.

In concept, I loved the first one, but it didn't work perfectly, and that alone killed it for me completely. If this works, I can't wait.

I even liked the Echochrome puzzle in GoW3.

spats

Agreed that this game is far too unique to be ignored like this. Looks incredibly interesting, but looks also like something that will be brain-numbingly difficult in the later stages. :p

Goldrusher

The fact that it's a disc release will help the game.

edit: Wait, some PR stuff says it's PSN, while the European site says it's a disc title. Both American and European site have a placeholder box.
So is PSN or disc ? Maybe both ?

And is it Move required or Move compatible ?

GONz

It just completely passed over my head during the conference that this game had such a wonderful use of Move o_O

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Didn't like that first one, but hope they can bring some new aspects to the table.

Did you watch the trailer? Really interesting use of the Move, no more of the fiddling to make sure two platforms are actually connecting, all in all very fresh.

Man

Goldrusher said:
The fact that it's a disc release will help the game.

edit: Wait, some PR stuff says it's PSN, while the European site says it's a disc title. Both American and European site have a placeholder box.
So is PSN or disc ? Maybe both ?

And is it Move required or Move compatible ?
I can't see this being a disc release outside of a demo being included with the Move Starter disc. It's definitely a download title.

I'm expecting it to be Move compatible (but that's like saying Time Crisis is pointer compatible, you wouldn't want to play it any other way really).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the single most exciting new feature is the 'goal' marker.

it implies that each level will actually be structured with well-planned routes available. My biggest problem with Echochrome was how sloppy some of it felt thanks to the loose level completion requirements. This will allow for some seriously interesting puzzles, rather than a a series of sandboxes to be traversed with a cool mechanic, and that's so much more interesting to me.

Hydrargyrus

Man said:
I can't see this being a disc release outside of a demo being included with the Move Starter disc. It's definitely a download title.

I'm expecting it to be Move compatible (but that's like saying Time Crisis is pointer compatible, you wouldn't want to play it any other way really).

Is the version included in the Starter disc compleate or is it only a demo?

I wish there will be a disc version...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hope its playable without Move. :3

Kittonwy

Banned
That is so cool.
Indifferent2.gif

In the editor you can draw the shadow image (btw. I guess Move will help a lot here as well) and let the game create the blocks for you.
Much more user-friendly then, imagine if you had to design the level to get a certain shadow image at a specific angle.

Will buy this because of their support for echochrome alone. They added so many cool features loooong after its release.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I don't get it.

So, the end unlocks after you line shit up right, and then your dude just walks to it? That's so boring. Hopefully they still have some of the gameplay from the original where you have to line stuff up dynamically and shift stuff around while your dude is walking, but I didn't see that.

BeeDog

BobsRevenge said:
I don't get it.

So, the end unlocks after you line shit up right, and then your dude just walks to it? That's so boring. Hopefully they still have some of the gameplay from the original where you have to line stuff up dynamically and shift stuff around while your dude is walking, but I didn't see that.

Indeed, I share the same fear as you. Just lining up the path to the exit will be boring.

BeeDog said:
Indeed, I share the same fear as you. Just lining up the path to the exit will be boring.

They have four walls (not sure if all 4 are usable though) do cast shadows on, an editor+share-community and the usual connections via jumps etc.
no fear here.

even in the very first simple level in the video he already has to adjust the flash-light more than once, I don't see the problem really. Maybe this is more easy to figure out (also the color tips help), but if you consider the different walls and layers of blocks, it should still be tricky.

edit: eh, ok in the first level one line up is enough. Still, they e.g. show doors etc. Maybe lining the shadows up to see the goal is always easy, but to actually reach it is not as you have to change the view while you progress through the level. I can't imagine they would just let you walk straight to the goal every time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nice info about the editor. You design the shadow and the editor itself comes up with/places the 3D objects that eventually cast it.

yurinka

I think it will be really cool like the 1st one, and has a ton of potential to differentiate Move vs Wii in terms of precision in 3D position+rotation tracking.

Let's hope pushes this one including it in the demo disc, releasing a demo in PSN day one, showcasing the trailer everywhere when showing Move in ads, in public demos, etc.

Because if not, people will ignore it. And I think even it's a small title, I think it would help to sell Move because it showcases potential usages in bigger games like to use a spy snake camera to see behind doors in Syphon Filter PS3 / next MGS.

BobsRevenge said:
I don't get it.

I supouse that like the original, in the first levels you only have to line up a bit and will be easy as hell (with color tips, etc). And after that, shit would got more difficult until reaching madness having to turn it constantly in some bizarre ways.

Since the game has an innovative game concept, they need to show in the trailers the easiest/tutorial levels, to understand the concept really fast.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
yurinka said:
I supouse that like the original, in the first levels you only have to line up a bit and will be easy as hell (with color tips, etc). And after that, shit would got more difficult until reaching madness having to turn it constantly in some bizarre ways.

Since the game has an innovative game concept, they need to show in the trailers the easiest/tutorial levels, to understand the concept really fast.
I hope so. I liked the first one a lot. It was very chill, and required some serious thought at times.

The flashlight gameplay invites some wrinkles into it that hopefully they step over instead of just simplifying around.

I will say that the art style isn't as strong here. I understand why the colors are useful, but they sort of rebel against the original's stark minimalism. Like, that green is straight up tacky, and the purple looks wrong. The yellow looks dull while the blue is regal. I saw that the music was mentioned as being more accessible and upbeat as well, which is disappointing. I don't have the opportunity to give it a listen yet, though.

GeoramA

Seems like this would be a 2nd or 3rd generation Move game.

I didn't really care for the first Echochrome, but this looks brilliant.

After seeing this and Slider, i'm really interested in seeing the Move based Ape Escape. So far Sony Japan seems to be doing the best job of making interesting games for this device.

Top Bottom