• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Echochrome 2 - Wow (PS Move)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://kotaku.com/5593207/try-not-to-care-about-echochrome-ii-after-watching-this

Awesome! This and Child of Eden give me some hope for motion controlled games on PS3/360 and beyond. Imagine when we do more with physics, and even fluids as it has begun with Portal 2. Lighting, fluids, etc. More powerful GPUs and CPUs will definitly lead to new forms of gameplay, especially with the addition of 3D and motion controls. Nice to see some good innovation coming out of all of this.

MrPliskin

Banned
Yea, this looks pretty fantastic. I really hope you can create your own levels in this one as well, setting up a static light source to create objects w/shadows and then publish them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, very excited to try this. I love Echochrome.

And this is the most creative use of Move yet in an actual videogame.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
That's incredible. This is the kind of innovation I was hoping we'd see once motion controls were introduced.

Crisis

Banned
I hate to say this because it'll give Sony ideas but this kind of thing sells me on Move. The only negative (from my standpoint) is that I don't know if any other team is creative enough to come up with something like this.

beast786

Sutanreyu said:
Wow, either the guy that created "Shadow Physics" is now working with the Echochrome team, or they blatantly stole his idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb5DjyoDObA

I love EC2. BUt that is actually more intresting. The little guy actually changes the puzzle. I am not sure if it also have the shadow orientation changing like EC2.

If they can add the little guy actually manipulate the level that would be real cool.

EDIT: It can do orientation also. Really really cool stuff.

AlexM

wow I didn't think echochrome 2 would blow my mind like the first one did. I just assumed it was the same game with some new levels and minor enhancement.

Doesnt quite justify the purchase for me but it's the first thing to catch my attention.

itxaka

Defeatist
wouldn't this just mean that the game has only one solution, that is, the correct position of the light source to complete the level?

I rather have it like the first one, not one solution but a lot of ways of achieving it.

legbone

this to me is the reason to buy the move. then it's just gravy from then on out. or i'm stuck with an extra piece of plastic junk laying around. no biggy either way.

itxaka said:
wouldn't this just mean that the game has only one solution, that is, the correct position of the light source to complete the level?

I rather have it like the first one, not one solution but a lot of ways of achieving it.

Well the original Echochrome was fairly organic/dynamic when it came to puzzle solutions, at least what I played. So I can imagine that they will continue in that direction. The first few puzzles (what was shown definitely looks like an early puzzle) are probably simple enough and only have one, maybe two solutions. But I'm willing to bet later on things get much more complex and you will really have to think on your feet.

the coolest thing, as i understand it, is that for the level editor you can now simply draw the image/level and it will auto-populate the blocks needed to make it up. and then share them online, natch.

Truespeed

I was not expecting what I saw. That's when you know it's pretty good. And, of course, this changes everything.

again.

Does it account for depth from the screen? That would be interesting if it did. I'm not so sure I'm amazed as everyone else cuz couldn't you just map a light source panning with the right analog stick and achieve the same thing? Not so sure how I see the Move introducing something that couldn't be done here before.

MrPliskin

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Does it account for depth from the screen? That would be interesting if it did. I'm not so sure I'm amazed as everyone else cuz couldn't you just map a light source panning with the right analog stick and achieve the same thing? Not so sure how I see the Move introducing something that couldn't be done here before.

I don't understand why it has to be impossible on any other control scheme to be impressive as a motion control function.

Being a part of "the world" and controlling the flashlight with your arm as you naturally would in an understandable manner is cool. Maybe it's not amazing, but it's cool, and immersive.

Rapping Granny said:
Woah mind blown, finally something new and unique.

Why wasn't this at the E3 conference?

It was actually on quite a few of their montages during the press conference, and if I remember right there was a video for it on the PS Store some time after E3.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Marty Chinn said:
You can also draw and write with an analog stick, but it doesn't feel nearly natural or work as well.

dallow_bg said:
You can also draw and write with an analog stick, but it doesn't feel nearly natural or work as well.

If it's only a 2D slide of the light position, then it really isn't that big of a deal IMO. I don't think it's so complicated or using the move makes it that much easier or more natural IMO. If it was a 3D light, then ya, I could see it being easier to manipulate. It would almost be like trying to use the move to rotate and manipulate your camera in a 3rd person game. Might be kinda neat, but I'm not sure what you gain from that type of interface. It might even be easier to manipulate on a second analog stick rather than having to use the move too.

Agent X

Marty Chinn said:
If it's only a 2D slide of the light position, then it really isn't that big of a deal IMO. I don't think it's so complicated or using the move makes it that much easier or more natural IMO. If it was a 3D light, then ya, I could see it being easier to manipulate. It would almost be like trying to use the move to rotate and manipulate your camera in a 3rd person game. Might be kinda neat, but I'm not sure what you gain from that type of interface. It might even be easier to manipulate on a second analog stick rather than having to use the move too.

You do make a point in that moving the light source probably could be accomplished using an analog stick. The appeal here is that the Move wand is analogous to a flashlight, and the user would move and twist the controller in hand more naturally to get a "feel" as though he's shining a light source in the game. This is a feeling that couldn't be related as easily by twiddling an analog stick.

It's similar to the way so many people want to play motion-controlled sword fighting games. Many of those games could be done using an analog stick, but then it wouldn't feel as natural or as fun to play.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
GhaleonQ said:
Have you tried Echoshift?
Yes, though it can get a bit hard and confusing for me.
Those kind of games/levels where I have to watch and keep up with multiple actions/layers are more difficult for me. (bits of Winterbottom on XBLA for example

I'm a big fan, even bought the soundtracks on PSN. (OST and piano arrangements)

Marty Chinn said:
Ah, I see what you're saying, though I thought it was a 3D light from the trailers. Perhaps I need to look more carefully. It does seem to bend in more ways than just a 2D plane, but I could be wrong.

MrPliskin

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

You're completely missing the point in light of finding a way to say "this isn't that neat". At least that is what is coming across in your post.

Using the controller as a flashlight is unique in it's feel. Using an analog stick to manipulate the light source is boring, and no different from manipulating a camera. Using the move feels like you're holding a flash light, and it's instantly recognizable and accessible. It is also immersive and connects you to the game far more than an analog stick, considering this isn't a game that relies on sound, visuals, story, or presentation.

Pretty innovative. I'm looking forward to seeing how developers use the Move. Imagine what the studio that made Flower can do with it.

Crisis said:
I hate to say this because it'll give Sony ideas but this kind of thing sells me on Move. The only negative (from my standpoint) is that I don't know if any other team is creative enough to come up with something like this.
Hmmm well within the Sony umbrella you have some pretty creative teams:

- SCEJ studios (Echochrome, Ape Escape, Parappa)
- Media Molecule (LittleBigPlanet 2)
- Team ICO

Although not owned by Sony, ThatGameCompany also makes some pretty creative games that have already made pretty good use of the Sixaxis motion controls.

Hydrargyrus

Day 1 for both, move and Echochrome 2. Nothing more to say.

It's awesome how, after E3 '10, the general opinion about move has changed absolutely. I'm glad about that, IMO it's a fantastic controller applied to a great games (RE5, Heavy Rain, KZ3, Socom 4, Echochrome 2, Sorcery...). I think the key of all of that is the combination of both, great games/ideas with a fantastic movement detection (almost 1:1)

xbhaskarx

Wow, that was really impressive. I was excited about Echochrome but I couldn't get into the actual game, hopefully this will live up to my expectations.

Hydrargyrus said:
Day 1 for both, move and Echochrome 2. Nothing more to say.

It's awesome how, after E3 '10, the general opinion about move has changed absolutely. I'm glad about that, IMO it's a fantastic controller applied to a great games (RE5, Heavy Rain, KZ3, Socom 4, Echochrome 2, Sorcery...). I think the key of all of that is the combination of both, great games/ideas with a fantastic movement detection (almost 1:1)
I think it's the fact that they have several titles that cater to both the casuals and the core, and MS doesn't.

Top Bottom