• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Boon teasing big Mortal Kombat news for tomorrow ($500K MK prize pool)

dudes are indirectly (or directly?) paying off sonic fox' tuition and any bills he'll have for the next couple years lmao

eat young man eat

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Only in video games do you have a company (WB) and a developer (Boon) completely troll a segment of their customers and get away with it.

Only in video games.

So they are really going after cpt and capcom huh? I mean they already utterly destroyed sfv on sales. Now they wanna try to take over tournament scene... Also lol at people thinking they're going to update PC version lmaoooooooooo....

Don't know how people that paid for MKX on PC that have a game that still is more or less broken and not getting support at all is funny.

Magwik

Banned
People assume it's a PC port from one tweet
Get upset when it isn't a PC port even though nothing suggested it. Okay.

All the top players in the US have to really ask themselves, how much do you really like Street Fighter?

Placing second to Sonic Fox pays a hell of a lot more than getting 9th place at Capcom Cup.

vg260

Are you familiar with how he does things? You can't look at one post in a vacuum here. The difference here is Boon's shtick is giving vague, leading hints and teases about upcoming content. Given the context of his tweets over the years, him specifically highlighting a tweet referring to a PC version following a tweet teasing a big announcement follows his patterns. Him even referring to the PC version at all is especially notable after they purposefully buried their head in the sand and went completely silent on the PC topic to minimize backlash. Them announcing something on the PC front would have completely followed his patterns.

This will certainly be interesting. We will now find out if SFV becoming super big in the tournament scene because of cash money or people really love the game...cause now there's a new challenger in town offering similar amount of cash money.

also:

"putting out the Kombat Pack 2 and the online fixes on PC isn't worth it, there's not enough money to be made in doing that.

now, let's give away $500k in an esport"

Why would Ed Boon tweet the number of copies PC sold? Just think about it, that one's not even a hint to PC.

Because Ed Boon is notorious for posting vague, often trolly tweets.

Edit: And as seen below, he's tweeted about it before. So yeah, seems pretty reasonable people would jump to the conclusion of it being a PC hint.

MUnited83

For you.

Oh, if it was actually just one tweet... but it wasn't. Check his fucking twitter feed.

He's a twat and perfectly knew what shit he was doing.

Nobody should buy games made by NRS while that jackass is at the helm.

why people assume its his fault? they are owned by WB. or do you guys think he doesnt want for people play his game?
His twitter isn't run by WB.

Zemm

This will certainly be interesting. We will now find out if SFV becoming super big in the tournament scene because of cash money or people really love the game...cause now there's a new challenger in town offering similar amount of cash money.

SF5 is still going to absolutely demolish it in the competitive scene.

Ghazi

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
From his Twitter feed:

CevwpHHWIAAJaEO.jpg:large

He knows what he's doing. (First person to Rubio this post gets punched in the crotch)

NeoRaider

why people assume its his fault? they are owned by WB. or do you guys think he doesnt want for people play his game?

He promised same experience for both PC and Console players. We on PC never got that. I don't really care if it's WB or NRS or Ed. They are all disrespecting more than 500k ppl that paid for crappy, unfinished product with no support.

Plus he should just shut the fuck up and stop making things even worse with his childish behaviour and trolling online.

Rudiano

Banned
wow how are these people getting away with insulting Ed? I once made a comment about how kotaku kinda sucked and got a 1 month ban lol

BiggNife

also:

"putting out the Kombat Pack 2 and the online fixes on PC isn't worth it, there's not enough money to be made in doing that.

now, let's give away $500k in an esport"

Also, as others have said, competitive MKX has been dominated by a single player (Sonicfox) since release and that's very likely not going to change no matter how much money you throw at it.

wow how are these people getting away with insulting Ed? I once made a comment about how kotaku kinda sucked and got a 1 month ban lol
Lmao I don't know why this made me laugh out loud.

Also, I second changing the name of the events to "SonicFox's College Fund".

Dsyndrome

Fuck off Ed, stop slapping PC users in the face with your vague trolling. If you're not going to support PC, just don't mention it... ever.

I just knew it had to be something stupid as a esports prize pool. Fuck you Ed, NRS, and WB especially with all the misleading folks with those retweets on the PC sales count. Seriously.

A-V-B

Wow, that's beyond trolling, Ed, and into straight up fucking ill will engendering not just for yourself, but for the Mortal Kombat brand. What the fuck.

Nzyme32

Hahaha! Knew it would be something like this. Everything Boon teases is lacklustre. And of course PC support isn't going to improve. WB are not willing to invest in fixing it and NRS are not willing to try either; they already got the money

I see one retweet that is addressing the use of a rival, Capcom, character to celebrate PC sales. People need to stop thinking everything is a hint. You set yourselves up and then act like its everyone else's fault when you are mistaken.

Someone in reddit linked to Ed literally saying "No" to a mention of Rain being added to MKX and people responded with theories of when Rain is coming to MKX.

This is out of control.

pahamrick

I see one retweet that is addressing the use of a rival, Capcom, character to celebrate PC sales. People need to stop thinking everything is a hint. You set yourselves up and then act like its everyone else's fault when you are mistaken.

Someone in reddit linked to Ed literally saying "No" to a mention of Rain being added to MKX and people responded with theories of when Rain is coming to MKX.

This is out of control.

Please.

Oh yeah, we totally set ourselves up!

Retrofluxed

This is out of control.

You can't blame people for inferring that we were getting a fixed port after this tweet: https://twitter.com/noobde/status/713121382058471424

You can't blame people for inferring that we were getting a fixed port after this tweet: https://twitter.com/noobde/status/713121382058471424

Yes, I can. The tweet to which he responded suggests that it is Ed's decision regarding PC support and that it he made a money grab. His response does not directly mention further PC support. He said the person was uninformed.

Like MK's gameplay, this response was a 50/50. It could mean they are uninformed and that a PC port fix is coming OR it could mean that the poster is uninformed as to how business decisions are made regarding the game. It seems many may have guessed wrong on this 50/50.

But was it really a 50/50 considering the context?

The tweet was a personal attack against Ed and he responded with a personal attack in return defending against the accusations made against him. If you want to extrapolate a PC port fix from this response tweet and disregard the official press release then you should probably stop reading tweets all together.

Finally, this whole tweet thing seems to be connected to a tribute post to Gary Shandling. I don't blame Ed one bit for "trolling" if this is the kind of personal attacks he is receiving on a tweet wholly and unequivocally unrelated to MKX.

Retrofluxed

Why would they bother creating a MAC port of a version of the game that is no longer supported? Anyone could take that as proof of a fixed PC version is in the works.

A-V-B

I might be wrong, but I'm *pretty* sure he's won every single NRS tournament he's entered for the past like 3 or 4 years.

I saw him lose a couple times, but the guy adapts so quickly that whatever beat him yesterday, he counters today.

FGC has never been driven mainly by money. FGC prize pools are straight up poverty day job having level unless you're one of the few top players with good sponsors, even then most of them have full time jobs.

Even Evo is peanuts. Being like top 4 in CPT is the only way to do this full time without big sponsor support.

Top Bottom