• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun, Scott Pilgrim) Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
edgar-wright.jpg

Name: Edgar Wright
Rating: Awesome
Currently Working On: Writing and Directing Marvel's 'Ant-Man' (second draft will be written after the Scott Pilgrim Blu-ray press tour)
Official Blog: EdgarWrightHere
Flickr: Edgar Wright's Flickr
Filmography:

- Spaced
- Shaun of the Dead (91% at RT)
- Hot Fuzz (91% at RT),
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
(80% at RT)

To commemorate the upcoming release of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World on Blu-ray (November 9th, buy it!), let us bask in the glory of one of the most talented young directors in the game, Edgar Wright. Sure he has yet to be a bankable name synonymous to the likes of Christopher Nolan but his notably distinctive style of filmmaking has set him apart from the rest, leading to bigger, Hollywood-centric productions and long-lasting relationships with those who originally influenced him (Tarantino, Peter Jackson, Raimi, Romero, Del Toro, Spielberg). He actually lived in Tarantino's guesthouse for over a year during the writing of Inglorious Basterds and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Another interesting tidbit, Peter Jackson played a cameo role in Hot Fuzz. So GAF, let's make like nerds and rank Edgar Wright's works from GREATEST OF ALL TIME to LEAST GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

key_art_hot_fuzz.jpg

1Wxy.jpg

1WxF.jpg

1WxQ.jpg

The main reason I want to put Hot Fuzz over Shaun of the Dead is because of Timothy Dalton. But I think Shaun of the Dead and Hot fuzz are close 1 and 2. Scott Pilgrim is a distant, but still high, number 3.

Jb

Linkzg said:
The main reason I want to put Hot Fuzz over Shaun of the Dead is because of Timothy Dalton. But I think Shaun of the Dead and Hot fuzz are close 1 and 2. Scott Pilgrim is a distant, but still high, number 3.
I think Hot Fuzz is a much more polished movie than Shaun is. I've watched both of them at least 5 times, and I've come to the conclusion than Shaun feels a little too "spaced" (amateurish) for my tastes.
But yeah, love this guy's directorial style.

Raaaaaanks:

1. Hot Fuzz
2. Shaun of the Dead.
3. Scott Pilgrim (not a sleight against the film putting it at third, it's just the first two films are THAT good).

Love this guy so much.

McNei1y

I've only seen Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead from him, which I loved both equally.

When/What is the third and final movie of that supposed trilogy?

Hot Fuzz was definitely a movie that had to grow on you. I was actually not impressed the first time I saw it. However, each time after I saw it, it got 100 times better. I even love it more than Shaun now. Scott Pilgrim was a great movie experience. I never had a chance to see Spaced, is it on Netflix?

Salazar

McNei1y said:
I've only seen Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead from him, which I loved both equally.

When/What is the third and final movie of that supposed trilogy?

Next couple of years. Has an apocalyptic theme, if I remember right.

Hot Fuzz > All

Literally the only movie I can watch over and over again without getting tired of it, or when I can't think of any movie to watch, I watch it instead. So good!

Hixx

Shaun of the Dead is the undisputed best film ever.

Hot Fuzz is great.

Spaced is also great. Infact, Spaced is fucking amazing.

I have absolutely no intention of seeing Scott Pilgrim as I hate Michael Cera with a passion.

VariantX04

HixxSAFC said:

Hot Fuzz is great.

I have absolutely no intention of seeing Scott Pilgrim as I hate Michael Cera with a passion.
That's just sad. You're truly missing out on an awesome movie.

Hixx

It's not sad at all. I do not like Michael Cera as an actor, much like Brandon 'botox' Routh. I don't want to watch any more films with him in. Nothing personal, he's just a shit actor imo. Shit actors ruin films.

GhaleonQ

Uh, you forgot Asylum, which is rather great for comedic actors not trained in sketch.

Spaced is just okay and Scott Pilgrim only merits bile (nerd humor needs to be clever to get me), but I'll watch any of the Blood And Ice Cream Trilogy through anytime.

Dabanton

Good director but he was a bit of a prima donna during SP post production.

Hopefully Scott Pilgrim's less than stellar reception has brought him back down to earth.

Decado

He seems to be leaning away from the type of movies I want to watch :(

First two movies are great, but not really interested in Scott Pilgrim or Ant Man.

He is my friend's favorite director of all-time and I always give him shit for it. :lol

I love watching Wright's films, but after they are over they barely stick with me. Nothing wrong with that, but looking forward for him to make a truly great film.

VariantX04

Expendable. said:
He is my friend's favorite director of all-time and I always give him shit for it. :lol

I love watching Wright's films, but after they are over they barely stick with me. Nothing wrong with that, but looking forward for him to make a truly great film.
If Hot Fuzz didn't stick with you, I don't think I want to see your idea of a 'truly great' Edgar Wright film happen. That movie embarrasses the movies it drew its influences from and the more you watch it the better it gets. A perfect movie if I've ever seen one.

Mr. Sam

If I live to be a hundred, I'll never understand the love for Hot Fuzz.

Spaced was an above average sitcom and Shaun and SP were both great, though.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
AgentWhiskersX said:
If Hot Fuzz didn't stick with you, I don't think I want to see your idea of a 'truly great' Edgar Wright film happen. That movie embarrasses the movies it drew its influences from and the more you watch it the better it gets. A perfect movie if I've ever seen one.
Agreed 10,000%

Sapiens

Dabanton said:
Good director but he was a bit of a prima donna during SP post production.

Hopefully Scott Pilgrim's less than stellar reception has brought him back down to earth.

Details?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yes. As much I love Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz is his greatest film. One of my favorite comedies of all time, it's almost perfect. So good.

Still haven't seen Scott Pilgrim, but the blu ray will be a must-rent.

Acid08

Banned
I love everything he has ever done. LOVE IT. Most talented writer in the world IMO. I fear if I ever meet him I would just try to kiss his mouth.

ezekial45

Banned
1. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Hot Fuzz

This guy is such a talented movie maker. His knowledge of movies and pop-culture, along with his incredible visual eye, make all of his works so enjoyable. One of the great things about his movies, and t.v show, is that they're incredibly re-watchable. Theres so many hidden easter eggs, gags, and lines of dialog that go over your head when seeing it the first time. It's amazing how much detail is packed into every single scene.

I can't praise this guy enough. He's so awesome. He's like a nicer, more done to earth, version of Quentin Tarantino.

EDIT: He's got a blog, btw.

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/

HixxSAFC said:

Hot Fuzz is great.

W1PjY.gif

or more like

X2ZvA.gif

XiaNaphryz said:
http://i.imgur.com/tMHV0.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

OH GOD, HIPSTER ALERT! HIPSTER ALERT!

Today I got Edgar Wright to sign my Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead Blu-ray. I got him to write "for the greater good" on it. :D

VariantX04

lunarworks said:
Today I got Edgar Wright to sign my Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead Blu-ray. I got him to write "for the greater good" on it. :D
:lol Oh god I hate you. I saw Edgar Wright back in August but it was just for the press tour which took about 30-40 minutes. Someday...

GhaleonQ

But seriously, Whiskers, buy/manipulate to get a region-free player and catch up with the stuff of his you didn't catch. It's cool to watch him grow.

(And then get the dozens of superior, in my opinion, shows. The League Of Gentlemen 1st!)

Scott Pilgrim felt too much of a self-referential ADD sugar rush for me to truly enjoy. Though the film did definitely have its moments.

Spaced and Shaun of the Dead are awesome though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom