EDGE 164 Scores

#1
Found these on another board. Wii is on the Cover (no picture yet).

New Super Mario Bros 8
Hitman: Blood Money 7
Moto GP '06 8
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis 7
The Da Vinci Code 4
Sin Episodes: Emergence 6
Sensible Soccer 2006 6
X:Men The Official game 3
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War 5
Field Commander 7
Atelier Iris 2: Azoth of Destiny 6
Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge 4
Metal Saga 5
 
#12
Suprised to see Artelier getting a 6 from EDGE, i heard really really bad reviews for that game, i loved the first one so i may try the sequel out.

Oh, and NSMB ftw!
 
#14
Does anybody know what kind of articles there are (execpt for the usual E3 stuff)?

Man, I was really hoping that NSMB would receive a nine, but an eight is great as well.
 
#21
pilonv1 said:
How about he just stays the **** out?
But he doesn't like the magazine. He want's to express that. Why shouldn't he be able to? Is it because you like the scores, but he doesn't and hates the mag? I don't get it. I think Edge is terrible, and (excuse the pun) tries to be edgy with it's scores.
 
#22
How about talking a bit about why you think it's terrible?
I think their non-hyperbolic approach to games journalism is almost a breathe of fresh air considering what else there is on the shelves at the newsagents' in recent times.

I'll admit though, I used to read it about 2-3 years ago, I stopped buying it and magazines altogether at that point, so I don't really know what the shelves are like now.
 
#26
Stryder said:
How about talking a bit about why you think it's terrible?
I think their non-hyperbolic approach to games journalism is almost a breathe of fresh air considering what else there is on the shelves at the newsagents' in recent times.

I'll admit though, I used to read it about 2-3 years ago, I stopped buying it and magazines altogether at that point, so I don't really know what the shelves are like now.
It's still the only game magazine worth reading. It may not be as good as it was 10 years ago, but it still as excellent articles for the most part. I especially like the ones about older games.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
#28
Stryder said:
I think their non-hyperbolic approach to games journalism is almost a breathe of fresh air considering what else there is on the shelves at the newsagents' in recent times.
Agreed, it's the only mag really worth reading anymore IMO. And not particularly for their reviews, but I appreciate that they use the whole range of scores, where 5 is average. Too many mags work on a scale of 8 to 10.

For those who think it's terrible, I hope you're not simply basing that on the scores you read on messageboards every month.
 

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
#29
I've never liked the fact that Edge never names their articles. I doubt I'll ever agree with everyone at Edge, but perhaps I'd find one to agree with and actually give a shit about that persons opinions on games I have yet to play. Unless Edge has a roundtable discussion of what to write in every article...
 
#30
gofreak said:
Agreed, it's the only mag really worth reading anymore IMO. And not particularly for their reviews, but I appreciate that they use the whole range of scores, where 5 is average. Too many mags work on a scale of 8 to 10.

For those who think it's terrible, I hope you're not simply basing that on the scores you read on messageboards every month.
I also like the fact that some of the articles, you know, go beyond the straight-to-the-point interviews with developpers.
It somewhat reminds me of the Next-Gen mag in that sense.
 
#36
Zer0 said:
edge hates ace combat,every game of the series has been panned on that magazine,
ACE COMBAT - 5
ACE COMBAT 2 - 6
ACE COMBAT 3: ELECTROSPHERE - 6
ACE COMBAT 4 - 6
ACE COMBAT 5: THE UNSUNG WAR - 7
ACE COMBAT ZERO: THE BELKAN WAR - 5
Indeed. Altough they did seem to be warming to the series until this installment.
 
#38
Been a long time since I read Edge (or any games mag), but it was always for the features and developer insights, not the reviews - which are little more than an exercise in gaming snobbery. I've got nothing against the scoring system (actually, I think it's good that they make proper use of the scale), but I really dislike the fact that they don't credit reviews and write everything in this impersonal and elitist tone. They seem much too concerned with their image and the impact their reviews make rather than providing a genuinely honest assessment of a game's quality.
 
#39
tebiro boy said:
Been a long time since I read Edge (or any games mag), but it was always for the features and developer insights, not the reviews - which are little more than an exercise in gaming snobbery. I've got nothing against the scoring system (actually, I think it's good that they make proper use of the scale), but I really dislike the fact that they don't credit reviews and write everything in this impersonal and elitist tone. They seem much too concerned with their image and the impact their reviews make rather than providing a genuinely honest assessment of a game's quality.
On the other hand, I think they are the one magazine to have the balls to say and score a game like they feel like doing. I don´t care they don´t sign their reviews or about the tone, when you read the review, you know where the game fails or triumphs.

Anyway, I don´t care that much about the reviews, it´s all about the features. They treat equally people like Kojima or people like Charles Cecil, and that´s awesome. I´d like more magazines to feel so profesional.
 
#40
Peter moore was interviewed in this mag, he says, he had lots of fun playing monkey ball and sonic on the wii, but the the sony one, he doesnt get.

Also edge were shown privately more wiimote extensions which were basically the NES controller, SNES, N64, mega drive/genesis, and master system. and they showed a picture.

Ok, i just read phil harrisons interview, and this was the question edge gave (awesome interview by the way, in your face straight to the point)
Edge: What do you think of Nintendos approach this time arround?
PH: I havent had a chance to see it, so i cant give you a personal view, but what ive read and heard is that the solution is a little bit better then the gamecube, its not really a dramatic innovation or movement forward. The big question is whether having only an unusual controller is going to be attractive to both game designers and game players.

more to come later

Ps: the more i read this interview, the more i think phil harrison is a shriveled cock then before.
 
#41
dabookerman said:
Also edge were shown privately more wiimote extensions which were basically the NES controller, SNES, N64, mega drive/genesis, and master system. and they showed a picture.
SCAN THEM NOW, TAKE PICTURES, DO SOMETHING

and then, pm them to me, pleeeeease
 
#42
dabookerman said:
Peter moore was interviewed in this mag, he says, he had lots of fun playing monkey ball and sonic on the wii, but the the sony one, he doesnt get.

Also edge were shown privately more wiimote extensions which were basically the NES controller, SNES, N64, mega drive/genesis, and master system. and they showed a picture.

Ok, i just read phil harrisons interview, and this was the question edge gave (awesome interview by the way, in your face straight to the point)
Edge: What do you think of Nintendos approach this time arround?
PH: I havent had a chance to see it, so i cant give you a personal view, but what ive read and heard is that the solution is a little bit better then the gamecube, its not really a dramatic innovation or movement forward. The big question is whether having only an unusual controller is going to be attractive to both game designers and game players.

more to come later

Ps: the more i read this interview, the more i think phil harrison is a shriveled cock then before.
Harrison was interviewed in the issue #163 too, and he´s so full of shit too. Damn I really hope Sony eat crow this round.
 
#45
Well i mean, they are very vague, its just a picture of the original pads and the wiimote in a briefcase, and the one wiimote is connected to the snespad, thats basically it, the controllers dont look any different.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
#49
I had a look today and it was still the Heavenly Sword issue. New Edge is due next week, I think. I guess these are subscriber issues?
 
#50
dabookerman said:
Well i mean, they are very vague, its just a picture of the original pads and the wiimote in a briefcase, and the one wiimote is connected to the snespad, thats basically it, the controllers dont look any different.
were they mock-ups made by edge or were they real controllers?