• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Edge #194 Reviews

Roxas

Member
May 2, 2007
4,759
0
0
UK
Cover story is about GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS. They have a few pages about it inside and pics and it looks pretty decent i suppose.

Previews

- Empire: Total War
- DC Universe Online
- Resistence 2
- Killzone 2
- Far Cry 2
- Fuel
- The Agency
- Champions Online
- Cities XL
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Infamous
- Halo Wars
- Stormrise
- Operation Flashpoint 2
- Silent Hill: Homecoming
- House of the Dead:: Overkill
- Trackmania DS
- Ragnarok Online DS
- Theresia: Dear Emile

(By the way, they are not impressed with how Resistence 2 is looking at the moment.)

Reviews

- Spore [7]
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed [5]
- Mercenaries 2: World in Flames [6]
- Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway [6]
- Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse [8]
- Infinite Undiscovery [6]
- Crysis Warhead [8]
- De Blob [8]
- Yakuza 2 [8]
- Viva Pinata; Trouble in Paradise [8]
- Reset Generation [8]
- Pure [7]
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 [6]
- Galaga Legions [6]
- Castle Crashers [7]

Features

- Interview with Dan Houser at Rockstar talking about GTA: Chinatown Wars
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts feature
- Interviews with Harmonix devs
- The making of Deus Ex Machima (this is a good read)
- A Look at how Canada is becoming one of the most powerful gaming dev centres in the west.
- A Look back at Star Wars; Tie Fighter

Next Month



I'll update this when ive had a more thorough read through.
 
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to resist Yakuza 2 at this point.
 

Darkflight

Member
Sep 2, 2007
2,467
0
0
Sounds good, I haven't got round to reading last months yet :lol, I only read on the train to/from work and I keep getting distracted working my way through Seinfeld :lol

Looking forward to reading last month's and then getting into this one, a look back at Tie Fighter, that's gonna be a good read.
 

EmCeeGramr

Member
Jun 25, 2005
38,456
0
0
EDGE SCORES ARE GRADED ON THE WHOLE SCALE OF 1-10.
5 IS AN AVERAGE PLAYABLE GAME OR AN INTERESTING CONCEPT HAMPERED BY SOME FAULTS.
IF WHATEVER SOFTWARE YOUVE EMOTIONALLY INVESTED YOURSELF INTO DIDNT GET ABOVE AN 8, DONT START BAWLING


Pretty please.
 
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible for an Aussie to get a subscription to Edge? I've been meaning to get one for a while but I'm not sure if it's possible. :(
 

Roxas

Member
May 2, 2007
4,759
0
0
UK
maxax said:
I'd like some info about Ragnarok DS if you got the time to write it. :)
Sure. There's not a lot of info (only half a page) but it does say you can have up to 4 players join forces in over 50 randomly generated dungeons. There'll be a lot of solo stuff too. Makes use of the stylus when attacking and moving (think Zelda: PH). Lots of character customization. They say finally that the game will cost a whopping 6090 Yen in Japan, which is around £32. Way above the usual rate.
 

maxax

Junior Member
May 15, 2008
774
0
0
Near Hamburg, Germany
Roxas said:
Sure. There's not a lot of info (only half a page) but it does say you can have up to 4 players join forces in over 50 randomly generated dungeons. There'll be a lot of solo stuff too. Makes use of the stylus when attacking and moving (think Zelda: PH). Lots of character customization. They say finally that the game will cost a whopping 6090 Yen in Japan, which is around £32. Way above the usual rate.
Thanks!
It's the only MMO I ever fell in love with, a good DS "port" would be awesome.
Any info on the release date?
 

TheHeretic

Banned
Jul 18, 2007
5,496
0
0
EmCeeGramr said:
EDGE SCORES ARE GRADED ON THE WHOLE SCALE OF 1-10.
5 IS AN AVERAGE PLAYABLE GAME OR AN INTERESTING CONCEPT HAMPERED BY SOME FAULTS.
IF WHATEVER SOFTWARE YOUVE EMOTIONALLY INVESTED YOURSELF INTO DIDNT GET ABOVE AN 8, DONT START BAWLING


Pretty please.
You say that, but every single score there is 5 or above. Edge use more of the scale than most, but they don't use it all.
 

Chû Totoro

Member
Mar 13, 2006
5,568
0
1,125
Roxas said:
By the way, they are not impressed with how Resistence 2 is looking at the moment.
:eek:
I'm a little bit confused here. Everyone claims that it's one of the best looking game they ever seen and Edge is saying "yeah it's ok".

Maybe it's the atmosphere that lacks of originality ?
 

Dizzan

MINI Member
Jan 22, 2007
5,424
18
1,195
Roxas said:
(By the way, they are not impressed with how Resistence 2 is looking at the moment.)
Old build.

Today's 'reveal' looks awesome and it's only going to get better in the last few weeks of polish.

and it's Resistance btw :p
 

Roxas

Member
May 2, 2007
4,759
0
0
UK
maxax said:
Thanks!
It's the only MMO I ever fell in love with, a good DS "port" would be awesome.
Any info on the release date?
Dec. 18th in Japan. TBA everywhere else.
 

Chû Totoro

Member
Mar 13, 2006
5,568
0
1,125
Kagari said:
Didn't Edge give Halo 3 a 10 though?
Well it seems that my "originality" point doesn't stand anymore.
Maybe the Heavy Rain demo is the reason they are less impressed.

Anyway it's not really a big deal for me since I'm not into FPS but it's just that it's different from everything I've heard so far on this game.
 

Roxas

Member
May 2, 2007
4,759
0
0
UK
About R2, they are going by what they saw at Leipzig. Bad AI, bad animation, too grim (too many browns and grey), level design remains "undisguised" , movement through the city feels constricted, motion and aiming lacks the control of Killzone 2. They do say thats hands-off demonstrations looked better though, but it is a pretty negative preview on the whole.
 
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Roxas said:
About R2, they are going by what they saw at Leipzig. Bad AI, bad animation, too grim (too many browns and grey), level design remains "undisguised" , movement through the city feels constricted, motion and aiming lacks the control of Killzone 2. They do say thats hands-off demonstrations looked better though, but it is a pretty negative preview on the whole.
That's the impression I've been getting from the footage too. I don't get the hype. But then I haven't played Resistance so obviously I'm lacking experience with the driving factor behind why people are hyped for this game. To be fair though, if the Insomniac marketing team were doing a really good job I wouldn't need that experience to be hyped in the first place.

But hey I'm all for more good games so I really hope R2 turns out great.
 

SpokkX

Member
Nov 18, 2004
3,516
0
1,285
Sweden
Rez>You said:
That's the impression I've been getting from the footage too. I don't get the hype. But then I haven't played Resistance so obviously I'm lacking experience with the driving factor behind why people are hyped for this game. To be fair though, if the Insomniac marketing team were doing a really good job I wouldn't need that experience to be hyped in the first place.

But hey I'm all for more good games so I really hope R2 turns out great.
I am sure there are large enemies and large battles... but it seems to be scaled up last gen stuff. No amazing physics, animation or AI at work. It seems.. drab
 

Yagharek

Member
Mar 3, 2007
22,786
0
0
TheHeretic said:
You say that, but every single score there is 5 or above. Edge use more of the scale than most, but they don't use it all.
That's because they dont review every game released each month. It's known as Selection bias.
 

EmCeeGramr

Member
Jun 25, 2005
38,456
0
0
TheHeretic said:
You say that, but every single score there is 5 or above. Edge use more of the scale than most, but they don't use it all.
Most games are derivative and playable or conceptual and lacking. This month was lucky enough to not have complete shit. Ive read plenty of reviews in edge that were almost entirely positive but there would be a 6 or 5 by the score. It was because theyd be reviewing some tetris wannabe on the ds for example that was competent enough. It was a solid 5. The text in edge reviews is what matters.
Its the only respectable mature gaming mag Ive ever read, and when some forumite's favorite flavor of the month is given a six they decry Edge as worthless. I was hoping we could avoid that this month.
 

herod

Member
Aug 9, 2006
5,118
16
1,000
Yes, I imagine Elite 4 will have no AA at all.

That's right, it's coming out for the GBA.
 

TheHeretic

Banned
Jul 18, 2007
5,496
0
0
EmCeeGramr said:
Most games are derivative and playable or conceptual and lacking. This month was lucky enough to not have complete shit. Ive read plenty of reviews in edge that were almost entirely positive but there would be a 6 or 5 by the score. It was because theyd be reviewing some tetris wannabe on the ds for example that was competent enough. It was a solid 5. The text in edge reviews is what matters.
Its the only respectable mature gaming mag Ive ever read, and when some forumite's favorite flavor of the month is given a six they decry Edge as worthless. I was hoping we could avoid that this month.
Why does a derivative, playable game have to be a 5 or more? If a game isn't worth buying it should be a 1. Edge are still stuck in the "report card" system of reviewing that IGN fester in tirelessly.

RandomVince said:
That's because they dont review every game released each month. It's known as Selection bias.
Then their scoring system should reflect that. They are still only using half a scale.
 

nelsonroyale

Member
Sep 16, 2006
21,981
0
0
r2 impressions in general have been mixed...until this latest reveal when they have been pretty damn positive...

also, Edge are generally more critical, but they are certainly not the gold standard people make them out to be...they aim for high brow, but alot of the writing comes off as verbose and the reviews often seem fault-finding to me, based on their own subjective likes/dislikes...ie pretty similar to any other reviews

also, pretty sure that is for wipeout...if they havent reviewed it yet
 

Burger

Member
Jun 9, 2004
9,019
72
1,615
40
United Kingdom
haowan said:
How many times - it's not Elite. There isn't a ship in any Elite game that looks like that.

it. is. not. Elite.

Braben has recently said that they're working on Elite 4 though, I believe.
Oh man what if it WAS Elite?!?

You'd be all like... shit.
 

Porkepik

Member
Feb 7, 2007
1,023
0
0
Montreal,Qc Canada
Well maybe it is not elite but I really thought it was, any nextgen Elite would be day one purchase for me, I played countless hours on ELite 1,2 and 3 (even if the last one was a bug fest at release)