• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #194 Reviews

Roxas

Cover story is about GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS. They have a few pages about it inside and pics and it looks pretty decent i suppose.

Previews

- Empire: Total War
- DC Universe Online
- Resistence 2
- Killzone 2
- Far Cry 2
- Fuel
- The Agency
- Champions Online
- Cities XL
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Infamous
- Halo Wars
- Stormrise
- Operation Flashpoint 2
- Silent Hill: Homecoming
- House of the Dead:: Overkill
- Trackmania DS
- Ragnarok Online DS
- Theresia: Dear Emile

(By the way, they are not impressed with how Resistence 2 is looking at the moment.)

Reviews

- Spore [7]
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed [5]
- Mercenaries 2: World in Flames [6]
- Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway [6]
- Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse [8]
- Infinite Undiscovery [6]
- Crysis Warhead [8]
- De Blob [8]
- Yakuza 2 [8]
- Viva Pinata; Trouble in Paradise [8]
- Reset Generation [8]
- Pure [7]
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 [6]
- Galaga Legions [6]
- Castle Crashers [7]

Features

- Interview with Dan Houser at Rockstar talking about GTA: Chinatown Wars
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts feature
- Interviews with Harmonix devs
- The making of Deus Ex Machima (this is a good read)
- A Look at how Canada is becoming one of the most powerful gaming dev centres in the west.
- A Look back at Star Wars; Tie Fighter

Next Month

24-09-08_1035-1.jpg

I'll update this when ive had a more thorough read through.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to resist Yakuza 2 at this point.

Sounds good, I haven't got round to reading last months yet :lol, I only read on the train to/from work and I keep getting distracted working my way through Seinfeld :lol

Looking forward to reading last month's and then getting into this one, a look back at Tie Fighter, that's gonna be a good read.

EDGE SCORES ARE GRADED ON THE WHOLE SCALE OF 1-10.
5 IS AN AVERAGE PLAYABLE GAME OR AN INTERESTING CONCEPT HAMPERED BY SOME FAULTS.
IF WHATEVER SOFTWARE YOUVE EMOTIONALLY INVESTED YOURSELF INTO DIDNT GET ABOVE AN 8, DONT START BAWLING

Pretty please.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible for an Aussie to get a subscription to Edge? I've been meaning to get one for a while but I'm not sure if it's possible. :(

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Castle Crashers got an appropriate score imo. :p

Roxas

maxax said:
I'd like some info about Ragnarok DS if you got the time to write it. :)

Sure. There's not a lot of info (only half a page) but it does say you can have up to 4 players join forces in over 50 randomly generated dungeons. There'll be a lot of solo stuff too. Makes use of the stylus when attacking and moving (think Zelda: PH). Lots of character customization. They say finally that the game will cost a whopping 6090 Yen in Japan, which is around £32. Way above the usual rate.

maxax

Roxas said:
Sure. There's not a lot of info (only half a page) but it does say you can have up to 4 players join forces in over 50 randomly generated dungeons. There'll be a lot of solo stuff too. Makes use of the stylus when attacking and moving (think Zelda: PH). Lots of character customization. They say finally that the game will cost a whopping 6090 Yen in Japan, which is around £32. Way above the usual rate.
Thanks!
It's the only MMO I ever fell in love with, a good DS "port" would be awesome.
Any info on the release date?

EmCeeGramr said:
EDGE SCORES ARE GRADED ON THE WHOLE SCALE OF 1-10.
5 IS AN AVERAGE PLAYABLE GAME OR AN INTERESTING CONCEPT HAMPERED BY SOME FAULTS.
IF WHATEVER SOFTWARE YOUVE EMOTIONALLY INVESTED YOURSELF INTO DIDNT GET ABOVE AN 8, DONT START BAWLING

Pretty please.

You say that, but every single score there is 5 or above. Edge use more of the scale than most, but they don't use it all.

Roxas said:
By the way, they are not impressed with how Resistence 2 is looking at the moment.
:eek:
I'm a little bit confused here. Everyone claims that it's one of the best looking game they ever seen and Edge is saying "yeah it's ok".

Maybe it's the atmosphere that lacks of originality ?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Roxas said:
(By the way, they are not impressed with how Resistence 2 is looking at the moment.)

Old build.

Today's 'reveal' looks awesome and it's only going to get better in the last few weeks of polish.

and it's Resistance btw :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Chû Totoro said:
:eek:
I'm a little bit confused here. Everyone claims that it's one of the best looking game they ever seen and Edge is saying "yeah it's ok".

Maybe it's the atmosphere that lacks of originality ?

Didn't Edge give Halo 3 a 10 though?

Kagari said:
Didn't Edge give Halo 3 a 10 though?
Well it seems that my "originality" point doesn't stand anymore.
Maybe the Heavy Rain demo is the reason they are less impressed.

Anyway it's not really a big deal for me since I'm not into FPS but it's just that it's different from everything I've heard so far on this game.

Roxas

About R2, they are going by what they saw at Leipzig. Bad AI, bad animation, too grim (too many browns and grey), level design remains "undisguised" , movement through the city feels constricted, motion and aiming lacks the control of Killzone 2. They do say thats hands-off demonstrations looked better though, but it is a pretty negative preview on the whole.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Roxas said:
About R2, they are going by what they saw at Leipzig. Bad AI, bad animation, too grim (too many browns and grey), level design remains "undisguised" , movement through the city feels constricted, motion and aiming lacks the control of Killzone 2. They do say thats hands-off demonstrations looked better though, but it is a pretty negative preview on the whole.
That's the impression I've been getting from the footage too. I don't get the hype. But then I haven't played Resistance so obviously I'm lacking experience with the driving factor behind why people are hyped for this game. To be fair though, if the Insomniac marketing team were doing a really good job I wouldn't need that experience to be hyped in the first place.

But hey I'm all for more good games so I really hope R2 turns out great.

SpokkX

Rez>You said:
That's the impression I've been getting from the footage too. I don't get the hype. But then I haven't played Resistance so obviously I'm lacking experience with the driving factor behind why people are hyped for this game. To be fair though, if the Insomniac marketing team were doing a really good job I wouldn't need that experience to be hyped in the first place.

But hey I'm all for more good games so I really hope R2 turns out great.

I am sure there are large enemies and large battles... but it seems to be scaled up last gen stuff. No amazing physics, animation or AI at work. It seems.. drab

Yagharek

TheHeretic said:
You say that, but every single score there is 5 or above. Edge use more of the scale than most, but they don't use it all.

That's because they dont review every game released each month. It's known as Selection bias.

TheHeretic said:

Most games are derivative and playable or conceptual and lacking. This month was lucky enough to not have complete shit. Ive read plenty of reviews in edge that were almost entirely positive but there would be a 6 or 5 by the score. It was because theyd be reviewing some tetris wannabe on the ds for example that was competent enough. It was a solid 5. The text in edge reviews is what matters.
Its the only respectable mature gaming mag Ive ever read, and when some forumite's favorite flavor of the month is given a six they decry Edge as worthless. I was hoping we could avoid that this month.

haowan

Hammer24 said:
Came here to say this. Nextgen Elite?

How many times - it's not Elite. There isn't a ship in any Elite game that looks like that.

it. is. not. Elite.

Braben has recently said that they're working on Elite 4 though, I believe.

EmCeeGramr said:
Most games are derivative and playable or conceptual and lacking. This month was lucky enough to not have complete shit. Ive read plenty of reviews in edge that were almost entirely positive but there would be a 6 or 5 by the score. It was because theyd be reviewing some tetris wannabe on the ds for example that was competent enough. It was a solid 5. The text in edge reviews is what matters.
Its the only respectable mature gaming mag Ive ever read, and when some forumite's favorite flavor of the month is given a six they decry Edge as worthless. I was hoping we could avoid that this month.

Why does a derivative, playable game have to be a 5 or more? If a game isn't worth buying it should be a 1. Edge are still stuck in the "report card" system of reviewing that IGN fester in tirelessly.

RandomVince said:
That's because they dont review every game released each month. It's known as Selection bias.

Then their scoring system should reflect that. They are still only using half a scale.

r2 impressions in general have been mixed...until this latest reveal when they have been pretty damn positive...

also, Edge are generally more critical, but they are certainly not the gold standard people make them out to be...they aim for high brow, but alot of the writing comes off as verbose and the reviews often seem fault-finding to me, based on their own subjective likes/dislikes...ie pretty similar to any other reviews

also, pretty sure that is for wipeout...if they havent reviewed it yet

Burger

haowan said:
How many times - it's not Elite. There isn't a ship in any Elite game that looks like that.

it. is. not. Elite.

Braben has recently said that they're working on Elite 4 though, I believe.

Oh man what if it WAS Elite?!?

You'd be all like... shit.

Porkepik

Well maybe it is not elite but I really thought it was, any nextgen Elite would be day one purchase for me, I played countless hours on ELite 1,2 and 3 (even if the last one was a bug fest at release)

haowan

Burger said:
Oh man what if it WAS Elite?!?

You'd be all like... shit.

I'd be all like... "The magic was probably lost along with Bell". And also "Edge seem to know fuck all about Elite ships".

Top Bottom