• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Edge #195 Reviews [LittleBigPlanet, Fable II, Far Cry 2 etc]

Roxas

May 2, 2007
UK
Cover

A Hyooooge montage of games that they are reviewing, with LBP taking centre stage.

Hype

- Gears of War 2
- Prince of Persia
- Mirror's Edge
- Quantum of Solace
- Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
- Phantasy Star Zero
- Valkyria Chronicles
- SOCOM: Confrontation
- White Gold: War in Paradise
- Need for Speed Undercover
- Skate 2

Reviews (And there's a lot of them)

- LittleBigPlanet [10]
- Fable II [9]
- Far Cry 2 [8]
- Dead Space [8]
- Rock Band 2 [9]
- Midnight Club: Los Angeles [7]
- Motorstorm: Pacific Rift [7]
- Lego Batman [4]
- Fracture [4]
- Saints Row 2 [5]
- Wipeout HD [8]
- Baja : Edge of Control [5]
- Mega Man 9 [6]
- Captain Rainbow [7]
- Flower, Sun and Rain [4]
- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood [6]
- Disgaea 3 [8]
- Tales of Vesperia [8]
- Legendary [4]
- World of Goo [8]
- Trackmania DS [8]
- Line Rider 2 [5]

Features

- Deus Ex 3
- A look at Japanese 2D shooters
- A look at 3D graphics and how they have progressed since the beginning of videogames.
- A look back at Doom 3
- The making of Max Payne (game not the movie)

Next Month

A Picture of a Banjo...hmm i wonder :lol

Phew...ill read the mag some more and update the OP as i go.

mr_bishiuk

Banned
Mar 16, 2007
UK
Unusual for such a big difference of opinion between Edge (5) and Euro gamer (9) on Saints Row 2

Also kudos for LBP and Fable 2, I guess Peter Mol must have fulfilled some of his promise this time!

Yagharek

Mar 3, 2007
Anyone could have picked the LBP score. Edge have handed out 10s more often of late, but LBP has the originality, style, implementation and Britishness required to seal the deal. :D

Some games Im looking forward to also got ace scores too. Fable, Dead Space got good ones.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
LBP was made for an Edge 10, if it hadn't got one I'd have seriously wondered. Good job MM!

edit - could we get closing or general comments from the review?

Steroyd

Dec 27, 2006
England
- LittleBigPlanet [10]

Now... go forth and sell well my pretty.

- Disgaea 3 [8]
er... Edge is in the UK right? So... why have they reviewed Disgaea 3???

I hope this means what I think it means, please tell me it's what I think it means. PLEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE. D:

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
Steroyd said:
er... Edge is in the UK right? So... why have they reviewed Disgaea 3???

I hope this means what I think it means, please tell me it's what I think it means. PLEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE. D:
They review imports. Is this what you wanted to hear? :p ;)

Acosta

Jun 9, 2004
RandomVince said:
Anyone could have picked the LBP score. Edge have handed out 10s more often of late, but LBP has the originality, style, implementation and Britishness required to seal the deal. :D

Some games Im looking forward to also got ace scores too. Fable, Dead Space got good ones.
I swear I don't get why some of you consider "Britishness" as a factor for a 10 in Edge, the only UK game that has got a 10 so far is GTA 4 (and now Little Big Planet for big justice).

Yagharek

Mar 3, 2007
Acosta said:
I swear I don't get why some of you consider "Britishness" as a factor for a 10 in Edge, the only UK game that has got a 10 so far is GTA 4 (and now Little Big Planet for big justice).
I'm joking. :)

AniHawk

Jun 7, 2004
- Mega Man 9 [6]
I don't usually go out of my way to disagree with someone's review score from a magazine/website, but this is some serious bullshit right here.

flipping_heck

Apr 16, 2006
UK
Kind of expected LBP to get 10/10, british developer, huge amounts of coverage from EDGE (I believe Edge were the first to find out about the game) and everythign has been very positive about it.

Deserved score

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jun 10, 2004
Windsor, UK
motorstorm probably got a 7 (good score from edge) because its a fairly simple premise. its just racing, right? doesn't look like it does tons more than the original, so 7 is about par.

Lots of good scores from Edge though.

surprised at 9 for RB2 - what does it do over and above 1?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
Private Hoffman said:
MotorStorm 2 received a 7?

Would love to hear why.
It appears to me to be to be a fairly by-the-numbers update to the original..more tracks, slightly improved graphics etc. It seems quite incremental.

Which is fine, great for fans, and that's what a 7 is too - fine.

Steroyd

Dec 27, 2006
England
gofreak said:
They review imports. Is this what you wanted to hear? :p ;)

Well, PS3 is region-free so anyone who really wants it can get it.
Boo importing, besides I was hoping it'd release soon so it gets cheaper later at around December-ish. D:
Wait that didn't sound right, that would have meant bomba if that happened. :(

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Somebody with a thin skin on the Saints Row review, methinks.
Girly-man or manly-woman, amirite?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sep 18, 2004
www.youtube.com
AniHawk said:
I don't usually go out of my way to disagree with someone's review score from a magazine/website, but this is some serious bullshit right here.
Yeah, did the reviewer really feel like the game was that unsuccessful at what it set out to do?

Acosta

Jun 9, 2004
RandomVince said:
I'm joking. :)
hehe, the problem is that is something I see that argument dropped often around here.

Kind of expected LBP to get 10/10, british developer, huge amounts of coverage from EDGE (I believe Edge were the first to find out about the game) and everythign has been very positive about it.
See?

Visualante

Mar 3, 2007
mrklaw said:
motorstorm probably got a 7 (good score from edge) because its a fairly simple premise. its just racing, right? doesn't look like it does tons more than the original, so 7 is about par.
Sony fans weren't saying that when GRID scored higher than MGS4

Roxas

May 2, 2007
UK
When you read the SR2 review it doesnt sound THAT bad. They rip on the story, characters and missions, but thats it really. They call it the "Anti-GTAIV". And they gave that game a 10. So take that for what you will.

As for Motorstorm 2, they bag on the art direction in some places. Excessive motion blur. They call it "Disappointingly ugly". It is better than its predeccesor though.

TheGreatDave

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
Acosta said:
The fact it's a British game means they really wanted to give it an 11.

Danne-Danger

Oct 23, 2006
Sweden
Roxas said:
As for Motorstorm 2, they bag on the art direction in some places. Excessive motion blur. They call it "Disappointingly ugly". It is better than its predeccesor though.
:eek:
Even the supposedly "shitty" demo looks great to me, so no problem there... still not sure if I should buy it though.

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
Jun 7, 2007
Belgium
flipping_heck said:

Deserved score
Don't know yet about the "deserved" part (Haven't played it yet and I want it so badly), but it was to be expected for the reasons you stated. But even then, from what I've seen from this game, a 10 would also be the fair score imho.

Dead Space an 8; that ups my anticipation for this game and might even convince me to buy it sooner than later. Will try to get the magazine this weekend. (In Belgium, I only know of one store chain that sells it and it's only in certain cities. If someone from BE can let me know if there are other magazine stores that sell them and OPM UK, let me know)
TheGreatDave said:
The fact it's a British game means they really wanted to give it an 11.
From the reactions on the beta, who on GAF wouldn't?

Roxas

May 2, 2007
UK
"Fable II is Lionhead's greatest achievment to date, with a coherent, onward-rushing adventure story that ranks with the best the medium can offer."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Private Hoffman said:
MotorStorm 2 received a 7?

Would love to hear why.
I'm starting to see a pattern in your posts.

Yagharek

Mar 3, 2007
Acosta said:
hehe, the problem is that is something I see that argument dropped often around here.
I know what you mean. EDGE review threads always seem so touchy when the scores hit, yet I have never read a bad review when the mag arrives locally. (2 week delay). They are always well written and well reasoned reviews. Even though I still disagree with them on a number of occasions it is never the case that they havent explained themselves.

You know what it's like :)

Tim the Wiz

Banned
Sep 22, 2004
Australia
Captain Rainbow is coming to Europe. Might check it out further.

Fable 2 looks like a must-buy at the moment. You finally delivered Peter!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Roxas said:
"Fable II is Lionhead's greatest achievment to date, with a coherent, onward-rushing adventure story that ranks with the best the medium can offer."
*stops sacrificing monks for fun (and profit!) to continue story*

Amir0x

Banned
Oct 27, 2004
Nowhere, PA
Tim the Wiz said:
Captain Rainbow is coming to Europe. Might check it out further.

Fable 2 looks like a must-buy at the moment. You finally delivered Peter!
Captain Rainbow is coming to Europe?

*eyes Nintendo of America*