• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 200 Scores

Bleeders

Borrowed from RLLMUK.

Resident Evil 5 - 7

Empire: Total War - 9

Shellshock 2: Blood Trails - 2

Afro Samurai - 5

Stormrise - 4

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - 7

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - 7

Tom Clancy's HAWX - 6

Time Hollow - 6

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - 8

Resistance Retribution - 6

Cryostasis - 6

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - 7

Henry Hatsworth in The Puzzling Adventure - 8

Making Of.. is Playstation

StuBurns

Banned
No surprises there, except maybe Hatsworth, everything I hear about it sounds really cool.
Any next issue tease?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good all round. Any choice quotes from the RE5 review?

MrHicks

Banned
HorribleJames said:
RE5 and 50 cent game are equally as good...

okay... I'll just be over there...

you dont gotta compare like that
you gotta see the reviews as standalone from each other

Mohonky

It's because Resident Evil 5 is on Xbox360 and games that are on Xbox360 get marked down because teh media is biast.

Having played through RE5, I'd almost agree. Its a game where Capcom seems to want to show that it can visually and from a tech perspective compete with Kojima and Western developers and almost forgot about updating the gameplay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The RE5 score is unsurprising. I can't fucking wait fore the game, but it doesn't really do anything new.

The real news here is the 9 for Total War.

Fuuuuuuck me I need that game.

Coen

Rez said:
The RE5 score is unsurprising. I can't fucking wait fore the game, but it doesn't really do anything new.

The real news here is the 9 for Total War.

Fuuuuuuck me I need that game.

Funny, because impressions so far seem to suggest that Total War doesn't do anything new either. Dawn of War II however does, but 'only' gets a decent 7.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Coen said:
Funny, because impressions so far seem to suggest that Total War doesn't do anything new either. Dawn of War II however does, but 'only' gets a decent 7.
Different reviewers, I guess. It depends on what expectations you go into a game with. Nothing more, nothing less.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nuclear Muffin said:
Good for Henry Hatsworth, can't wait to pick it up :D

Surprised that there's no Madworld review though!
Good point, I wonder what the deal with that is. I'm looking forward to seeing what its reception is like. It looks amazing (if there's anyone who reads this who owns a Wii and isn't sold on the game, watch this video over at IGN, it basically made my hype go from "looks good" to "HOLY SHIT, CAN'T WAIT").

Henry Hatsworth is going to be great. :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Roxas said:
Edge and Eurogamer give Resi 5 a 7..hmmm..

Bracing for epic.

I don't think people really care that much about how RE5 scores though. It's been known for a while that it's basically RE4 with HD graphics, a whole new story, and online and offline co-op. People pretty much know if they want that or not already.

Usually people only freak out over reviews if the game is a new IP or could almost be considered one due to major changes to the gameplay.

MrHicks

Banned
Coen said:

NOT doing something new with the RE5 control system was a horrible mistake though
you cant just copy paste your 2005 control scheme into a 2009 game without recieving complaints (considering the improvments that have been made to the scheme by other devs over the years)

the bolded part is the important part
as devs you gotta take notice of what other do in your specific genre or risk beeing surpassed (which ea did with dead space imo)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
MrHicks said:
NOT doing something new with the RE5 control system was a horrible mistake though
you cant just copy paste your 2005 control scheme into a 2009 game without recieving complaints (considering the improvments that have been made to the scheme by other devs over the years)

as devs you gotta take notice of what other do in your specific genre or risk beeing surpassed (which ea did with dead space imo)

bu-bu-bu-but it wouldn't be resident evil then!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MrHicks said:

Let's not start this again. For everyone's sake.

Willeth

Okay, just got mine through the door. Back cover is all the 200 covers you've already seen in thumbnail.

Inside back cover is a bunch of old covers. Inside front is a pile of Edge mags against a white background.

The back splash for next issue is the number XIII fading from turquoise to blue.

billy.sea

Banned
Coen said:

Because RE5 makes too much noise, while DoWII flew under the radar so the reviewers aren't as critical.

Darklord

Banned
Resident Evil 5 - 7
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - 7
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - 7

What the hell? 50 cent is an average rip off of Gears of War gameplay, the only good thing about it is the dialog is so bad its good, and it gets the same score as RE5 and DoW2? Christ.

StuBurns

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
bu-bu-bu-but it wouldn't be resident evil then!
Outbreak 2 had simultaneous movement and shooting.
There's really no excuse for them not 'modernizing' the game a little.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Willeth said:
Okay, just got mine through the door. Back cover is all the 200 covers you've already seen in thumbnail.

Inside back cover is a bunch of old covers. Inside front is a pile of Edge mags against a white background.

The back splash for next issue is the number XIII fading from turquoise to blue.
I WONDER WHAT THIS COULD MEAN

Tieno

MrHicks said:

Would a tank be better if it didn't control so tanky?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
stuburns said:
Outbreak 2 had simultaneous movement and shooting.
There's really no excuse for them not 'modernizing' the game a little.
I agree. In hindsight, Capcom should have added the option to move around slowly, if only to sedate those who worry so much about it. Of course, they should have done this from back in the planning stages, before they programmed the AI and all that jazz.

As an RE fan, I honestly couldn't care less. It wouldn't affect the gameplay much to me at all. I'm happy how it is, but I'd be just as happy if you could move. It just seems so trivial.

MrHicks

Banned
Rez said:
Let's not start this again. For everyone's sake.

agreed
All im saying is
for some series not doing something new can be a positive
for other series it can be negative

so critics of reviewers cant just say "that did nothing new and they didnt complain blablabla" etc

some games just dont need anything new to be good

Coen said:

Yeah, because introducing ship combat into a wide-scale strategy game thrown into a new setting definitely signals "nothing new". I understand where you're coming from. I'd personally like some strategic advances on the campaign board, but the game (Total War) is still fantastic. And new doesn't necessarily mean good either. A game is good or bad depending on how well the concepts are executed. A game is sublime if the concepts are exceptionally engaging or innovative and the execution is all class.

Willeth

Rez said:
I WONDER WHAT THIS COULD MEAN
It's so mysterious.

There's a close-up of the other 199 covers inside (they're really loving this, huh?).

Notable previews: Split/Second (shows great potential), Parabellum (not sure if there's a market for it but impressive for a free-to-play title), NFS:Shift (focusing on immersion, changing a lot, not sure if it's enough of a change to make a difference to the franchise) and Batman: Arkham Asylum (characterisation is extremely good, the environment maybe not so much).

EDIT: Oh Christ, there's a "Top 100 Games" article in here. Focused on what's good to play now, and avoiding nostalgia. This looks like it was created just to send GAF into a frenzy. "Warning: certain sacred cows have become burger meat."

Other articles: Trip Hawkins on looking forward, Yuji Naka on his career, Ted Dabney on founding Atari.

mujun

im interested to hear what is so bad about stormrise. im not considering getting it unless a demo or something blows me away but still, 4 is a pretty bad score.

PnCIa

I like 50 cent´s music...and since his game is as good as RE5 it´s going to be a tough choice between those two :lol

Mar

Blablurn said:
fuckt the reviews

fjj0pv.gif

Acosta

It´s funny that 2 games from the same studio get so different scores (yes, I know there are different teams, but still...).

Maybe Creative Assembly should focus on total war (I want Total War: Fantasy after the inevitable Total War: WW2).

Top Bottom