• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #203 Review Scores (Infamous, Punch-Out & Ghostbusters)

They don't like the bots, they say they make the trucks in excite trucks look like flaming DeLoreans. The minigames during the races are a distraction. Plus they mention clumsy respawns, flabby collisions and incoherent design.

Dascu

Dabookerman said:
100_4327.JPG

Next issue page.
That's the double beam katana from No More Heroes 2. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Dabookerman said:
They don't like the bots, they say they make the trucks in excite trucks look like flaming DeLoreans. The minigames during the races are a distraction. Plus they mention clumsy respawns, flabby collisions and incoherent design.

hey that's exactly what i feel

OnPoint

Dabookerman said:

Diffrn't strokes...

Doesn't make the game any less fun. Think I'll pop it in when I get home from work.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dabookerman said:

Huh? A distraction from what? Didn't they realize having to do minigames while racing is the whole point of the game?

I could agree on the bots though. Very few of them are appealing to me design-wise.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah having to do minigames during the race is the whole point, and that point is to be as shitty as possible. Every time I had to swing on a bar I wanted to punch my tv.

OnPoint

Ysiadmihi said:
Huh? A distraction from what? Didn't they realize having to do minigames while racing is the whole point of the game?

I could agree on the bots though. Very few of them are appealing to me design-wise.

Yeah, it's a valid complaint. I'm lucky that I enjoy racing as the Bat and think it's one of the only 'bots that looks decent.

Well the exact quote is uh, sec

"Though still a racing game in name and structure, Excitebots pours upon you a torrent of nonsensical distractions. These are easily ignored during the vaporous challenge of the early levels, and, at the higher difficulties, threaten to reduce races to farces, tolerable only because of the highly elastic rubber banding"

OnPoint

Dabookerman said:

"Though still a racing game in name and structure, Excitebots pours upon you a torrent of nonsensical distractions. These are easily ignored during the vaporous challenge of the early levels, and, at the higher difficulties, threaten to reduce races to farces, tolerable only because of the highly elastic rubber banding"

It's a quote like that that makes me wonder if they're reviewing it based on their what they want the game to be, rather than what it is.

Yes Boss!

OnPoint said:
It's a quote like that that makes me wonder if they're reviewing it based on their what they want the game to be, rather than what it is.

Yeah, looks like they missed the point a bit about not needing to come in first. Rubber-banding? That is a non-issue in the game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dabookerman said:

So they really did miss the point of the game?

Oh well, Nintendo let the game bomb so what's a negative review going to hurt.

I can kind of understand that critically, it's not going to be the "best" game - but I've had so much fun with it, it's an absolute blast.

Yes Boss!

JonathanEx said:
I can kind of understand that critically, it's not going to be the "best" game - but I've had so much fun with it, it's an absolute blast.

Yeah, pretty great Spring release. I poured about 35 hours into it. Punch Out!!, on the other hand, is doing little for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ExciteBots is far, far better than a 4/10 no matter how true your 10 point scale is.

It seems like everyone other than journalists loves the game. What the hell?

EDIT: Reading quotes and what not, it's pretty clear it was being reviewed as a pure 'come first place' racing game, and was thus reviewed a something it's not. Good job EDGE. If there's ever another EXCITE, please give the review task to someone who actually knows the gameplay premise.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
glaurung said:
FUEL got an eight!?

Now I got to read that review.

They gave a 9 to GRID and that was an awesome game. This game is back on my map.

Model 500

What?

EDGE said:

Whot?

Amir0x said:
yeah having to do minigames during the race is the whole point, and that point is to be as shitty as possible. Every time I had to swing on a bar I wanted to punch my tv.
:lol :lol
indeed that swinging bar crap is just bullshit

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm alone, but I'd love some quotes from their Zeno Clash review. It would be greatly appreciated.

OnPoint

Yes Boss! said:
Not really. It is more about doing tricks to get your star count up. You can come in dead-last and still be number one.

Of course, you'd have to hit a pretty spectacular amount of stunts to pull that off.

Dabookerman said:
Well maybe if the game didn't have trick racing in the subtitle, it would have made more sense.

Nah, because it is a racing game as well. You can just strategize to not come in first. It's all about diversity. You highlighted "racing" and left off "trick," which is just as important in this game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dabookerman said:
Well maybe if the game didn't have trick racing in the subtitle, it would have made more sense.

Not exactly. You get more stars the closer to first you are, but it's not so high that you can completely ignore tricks and minigames and still win. It's perfectly balanced.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ExciteBots is as much about traditional racing as Super Smash Bros. is about platforming. Just because the mechanic plays a part in the game overall doesn't mean the core mechanics and overall challenge revolve around it.

TheGreatDave said:
I like ExciteBots, but I dunno...Excitetruck took up a ton more of my time.
For me, it's because the game has a structure pretty close to the first game: I played the shit out of Excitetruck, every nook and cranny, and even though I think ExciteBots is a stronger game, it's got less appeal for longer play the second time.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I like ExciteBots, but I dunno...Excitetruck took up a ton more of my time.

I've played about the same, but ExciteBots would have the edge if it had a rating system like MK's online does. Racing online to save up stars just isn't the same.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Model 500 said:

It says that while its still a racing game at heart, it has a load of stupid shit on top. That shit can be ignored at the start when its as easy as your sister, but when the races get all hard and stuff all that stupid shit makes it not about racing anymore because you're doing stupid shit, but you can get back in the race because its got mad elastic bands.

I hope that helps you understand.

I was expecting a score like that (or maybe 7) for Muramasa from Edge.
I don't think this will stop me from buying the game, though.

Haunted

Juno said:
Infamous - 7
Ghostbusters - 7
The Sims 3 - 8
Punch-Out - 8
Velvet Assassin - 4
Fuel - 8
Damnation - 3
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 6
Excitebots: Trick Racing - 4
Zeno Clash - 8
Terminator: Salvation - 3
This Sims, Zeno Clash and Terminator slightly too high.

Everything else I can agree with. Haven't played Fuel and Muramasa yet.

Haunted

ItsInMyVeins said:
EDGE truly is the best gaming magazine out there.
I know you're just talking about the review scores, but that statement also holds up in general. Cover design, articles, writing quality, it's all top notch.

8-Bit Soul said:
I know, right?

Punch-Out should totally be a 9. I blame the lack of SNES (only two) and new (only one) boxers.

BatmanX

Ok now its clear. They've reserved the ink mark of 7 for the sony exclusives

God of war2 7
Killzone 2 7
Infamous 7
Motorstorm 2 7
Valkyrie chronicles 7

Haunted

BatmanX said:

God of war2 7
Killzone 2 7
Infamous 7
Motorstorm 2 7
Valkyrie chronicles 7
PS2 and PS3 only had 5 exclusive games all told? No wonder that "PS3 has no games" meme is still around.

obaidr said:
Fuel got a 4.5 from german PSM3, on of the best selling PS3 magazines over here. Something is really really wrong with edge.
German magazines are garbage, I never pay attention to any of their scores.

Loudninja

Haunted said:
PS2 and PS3 only had 5 exclusive games all told? No wonder that "PS3 has no games" meme is still around.

:0

BatmanX said:

God of war2 7
Killzone 2 7
Infamous 7
Motorstorm 2 7
Valkyrie chronicles 7

Those are all good games, so I guess 7 is good than?

Haunted

Loudninja said:
I was trying to get him to admit that he cherry-picked 5 games with a 7 ignoring all the other scores (like LBP's 10).

Thanks for ruining my setup to expose his "bias!" implication. :mad:

Loudninja said:
Those are all good games, so I guess 7 is good than?
A 7 from EDGE is like a 9 from IGN.

Opus Angelorum said:
The Fuel score is very strange, most of the reviews that gave a below average score cited technical problems.
Maybe they reviewed the PC version?

Top Bottom