• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 212 scores

obonicus

stupei said:
I can't tell if this is meant to imply that I'm a fanboy of a publication I've only purchased a few times in my life or if it's just a general statement of fact. I'm inclined to think it's the former, though.

Does bemoaning a lack of intelligent and rational discussion make you a fanboy now?

Actually, I wasn't talking about you, but about others in this thread. I haven't seen you go 'EDGE is the Holy Word of Almighty God' or 'EDGE is bias!'.

TehSw1tch

Banned
AniHawk said:
10h4k60.jpg

Still find it weird that was called a GameCube.

zoukka

RubberJohnny said:
The Bioshock 2 review is a review of the singleplayer only, with online impression coming to their website. Not sure why it couldn't be included.

Many magazines like to put some time to the MP nowadays and release impressions later than the campaign review. I like it. You should too.

AniHawk

zoukka said:
Many magazines like to put some time to the MP nowadays and release impressions later than the campaign review. I like it. You should too.

Shouldn't a game be reviewed as a whole?

El-Suave said:
While I do like Mass Effect better, I don't get the vast differences between its score and that of Dragon Age. One is a 9, the other a 5?

EDGE hated the character modelling, the dialogue, and the cliche story in Dragon Age, all of which are much better in Mass Effect 2.

MMaRsu

Banned
Doubledex said:
No, not really. He is simply right. It's the typical "Oh it's a SONY game. Let's give it an average rating"BS again, from EDGE. Can't wait until GoW3's 7 from EDGE.

But yeah "buh buh SONY fanboy... bubuh... it deserves a 7 blablub"

:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
of the games I have played (Dante's, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2), the scores seems surprisingly in line with my own opinion.

I guess I like Edge this month.

2San

Shaka said:
Nah uh man, fuck YOU!
No U
daxter01 said:
what does cinematic gamer means?
Compare GoW to NG or DMC. Notice the difference. GoW is easy to play. GoW is about evoking that emotion you are strong, eventhough the game is easy as hell so it doesn't mean you are good. Rather then deriving fun from being skilled in a game, you derive fun from feeling cool for doing brutal stuff.

Pointing out people like QTE's in GoW, for me no matter how cool they are it just means I can't play the game. Other people like it though since it looks cool. Rather than a QTE, I'd like to destroy the stronger enemies by doing an awesome combo.

stupei

obonicus said:
Actually, I wasn't talking about you, but about others in this thread. I haven't seen you go 'EDGE is the Holy Word of Almighty God' or 'EDGE is bias!'.

Cool, genuinely wasn't sure if it was directed at me or not.

Regarding reviewing Bioshock 2 SP and MP separately, the two are really wildly different experiences so I can almost see it from that perspective as well but it's still kind of weird. It just doesn't seem like a game someone would buy only for the MP.

If it means they spent more time trying out all the MP has to offer, though, that's great. Maybe even more interested in reading what they have to say about that than the SP review. Most outlets have mentioned MP so far but clearly haven't paid a lot of attention to it.

NHale

EDGE threads never disappoint. Selective memory FTW.

Sony fanboys quickly forget that EDGE 2008 GOTY was LittleBigPlanet and think EDGE is biased against Sony.

Microsoft fanboys agree with a 7 to any PS3 exclusive (because a 7 is clearly a low score...) and quickly forget the reviews that the same game got in other magazines/websites.

Firebrand

flipping_heck said:
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 6

11rr67c.gif

Anyway, while I really like their articles their scores rarely match my own opinions, I recall they gave Ouendan 2 a 7. EDIT: An 8 it seems, after visiting the database link below.

Speaking of Edge and Edgeworth, where's Tim Langdell? Is he afraid of ace attorneys?

AniHawk said:
Phoenix Wright: 7/10
Justice for All: 6/10
Trials and Tribulations: 6/10
Apollo Justice: 6/10

Huh. Well, guess one can disregard their AAI:ME score then. :) Those are all 9-10s to me.

kitzkozan

Sammy Samusu said:
EDGE RAGE INCOMING

Can't wait to see Final Fantasy XIII review. :lol

I suspect what might be the EDGE score for FF XIII. :lol That should be a good one with plenty of rage.I wouldn't be surprised if we see a list of most jrpg score from EDGE over the years.

This one isn't really spectacular and Heavy rain is too niche of a title to incite much rage.There was a lot of rage for Dragon age:eek:rigins getting a 5. :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Doubledex said:
No, not really. He is simply right. It's the typical "Oh it's a SONY game. Let's give it an average rating"BS again, from EDGE. Can't wait until GoW3's 7 from EDGE.

But yeah "buh buh SONY fanboy... bubuh... it deserves a 7 blablub"

This coming from you? Dude, send a PM to some random guy and let him say that for you for credibility sakes.

DRZ

Yeah but, 2 pages before wasn't EDGE who cares about gameplay more than story? ME and DAO in terms of gameplay aren't at all different by 4 points out of 10...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DRZ said:
Yeah but, 2 pages before wasn't EDGE who cares about gameplay more than story? ME and DAO in terms of gameplay aren't at all different by 4 points out of 10...
there ain't a mathematical formula to review scores, man.

DRZ said:

To be fair they reviewed the 360 version of DAO. :p

Esteban

Banned
Some of their reviews don't make sense at all to me... How a game like Dragon Age can get a 5 is beyond me.

Now I guess every opinion can be defended...

kitzkozan said:
I suspect what might be the EDGE score for FF XIII. :lol That should be a good one with plenty of rage.I wouldn't be surprised if we see a list of most jrpg score from EDGE over the years.

EDGE gave FF XII a 9/10: "A work of progressive genius that hauls its staid genre up by the bootstraps and takes its place alongside the WOWs and Oblivions of this world".

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Moar like Seven Rain amirite?

;-P

El-Suave said:
While I do like Mass Effect better, I don't get the vast differences between its score and that of Dragon Age. One is a 9, the other a 5?

stupei said:
:(

Any text on this?

Traditionally Edge cares more about gameplay and mechanics than they do about story.

sounds like this might be why.....also....

<insert obligatory Edge hatred of <insert game> review score>

2San

About the differences in ME2 and DO:A maybe they where reviewed by different people, hence different standards?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AvidNobody said:
Dante's Inferno is about 3 points too high, but whatever.
it did score higher than I thought it would, that much is true.

DidntKnowJack said:
WHAT?!? A 7 for Heavy Rain? Even though I haven't played it, have no idea what it's really like, and 7 isn't really a bad score, I am outraged. OUTRAGED, I SAY.

schennmu said:
Trolling or humorous attempt?

A very very failed attempt at humor. I'm looking forward to HR.

I'd say that it's finally official then.

Mass Effect 2 is fucking awesome.

Not to say that reviews were necessary to confirm that, but this was probably the last big review for it.

BrokenSymmetry said:
EDGE hated the character modelling, the dialogue, and the cliche story in Dragon Age, all of which are much better in Mass Effect 2.

I'd wager the main reason for the difference in graphics is due to the difference in scale, I don't think there's a huge difference in the quality of dialogue (as a matter of fact given the only time you hear from your team in ME2 is on the Normandy and on character specific missions I'd say the way in which DA implements dialogue is far superior), and clichéd space is better than clichéd fantasy? Or did they feel Bioware resolved the issue by not really including much of a plot at all?

Needless to say I don't think there's any way you can call Mass Effect 2 almost twice as good as Dragon Age unless you despise WRPG mechanics and adore polished but simple pop-in pop-out of cover based gameplay in repetitive, poorly designed levels. In which case I think you doing your readers a disservice by letting somebody who enjoys a genre review a game in it whilst having somebody who hates another genre review a game in it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
confuziz said:
Hmm I wonder if after the 7 EDGE gave to Heavy Rain, more reviewers will follow and bring down the average score? =(

So you work for the dev? If not why do you give a shit?

Top Bottom