• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 217 August 2010 contents

Mafro

Stink said:
iirc Imagine do have an iPhone publishing thing that will probably be useable on iPad, so GamesTM will already be available.

pretty sure I've read or heard that Edge will never go digital while it exists in print form though.
Yeah both GamesTM and Retro Gamer have apps for both iPhone and iPad.

Stink

Why would it be surprising that critics in one country would be more inclined to prefer creative output from the same country? We're all a product of our environment - games can contain just as much cultural influence as any other creative form.

Personally, I don't bother paying attention to any US review sites. I find that IGN, Gamespot, 1UP etc. are all far inferior to Edge, GamesTM and Eurogamer when it comes to having similar views to me. Never mind subtracting 1 or 2 from their scores, I discount the whole things completely. And I understand why US and Japanese (and anyone else) might discount Edge and GamesTM.

Volcynika

Durante said:
I don't want to belabour this point too much, but I've seen Trinity Universe being called a either a Gust or a Nippon Ichi game a few times now. It's an Idea Factory game.

And actual Nippon Ichi games don't really get bad scores "usually" in Edge, e.g. Disgaea 3 got an 8.

Trying to make sure people get the developer right on games is a futile attempt, I've tried it for too long. :lol

Bento said:
I'm very surprised by the Crackdown 2 score, sort of seemed like a game Edge would rip apart for lack of new ideas and average execution.

Dragon Quest 9 score = :D

Because I'm sure DQ 9 is a huge departure from the other titles in the series ;)

Durante

Volcynika said:
Trying to make sure people get the developer right on games is a futile attempt, I've tried it for too long. :lol
You could have at least written down the developer in the Trinity Universe OT op :p

Dynoro said:
Do we have to have this every Edge thread?

Well, I referenced it as a joke in my earlier post because TT Games was bought by an American company. I don't for a second believe they actually rate UK games with any sort of bias.

So I think there was a fair reason for me mentioning it. Just defending myself.

I haven't played the full versions of either Lego HP or Crackdown 2 just their demo's, but apparently the demo of LHP isn't representative of the full game, where a lot of the charm comes from the hub world. At least according to the more glowing reviews like Eurogamer's.

GreekWolf

gofreak said:
I was super-eager to try Lego Harry Potter after reading some of the other reviews...played the demo, and I just found it boring, and to be honest. slightly fiddle-y with controls (putting triangle as character switch and R1 as spell switch...I often found myself confusing them, even well into the demo). Is the demo representative of the game, or a particularly bad slice of it?
eh...I found the demo to be an accurate representation of the final product. It's really just mind-numbingly boring. The game emphasizes collecting/upgrading over combat, which gets incredibly stale after 5 hours.

I'm really not that picky when it comes to lego games. I enjoyed both Indiana Jones titles and even Batman, but this one couldn't hold my interest. It's obviously designed for younger fans, with accessibility in mind. If you're heavily invested in the Harry Potter universe, you'll probably want to pick it up. The wonderful John Williams soundtrack kept me playing a bit longer than I should have.

Ridley327

Aeana said:
There has been plenty of discussion about national pride recently since they've given out more 40s in the last 4 years than they ever had total in all years prior, and this coinciding with Japanese games becoming less popular.

They're certainly less popular in the west these days (barring the one obvious publisher exception), but I think it has more to do with publishers over there scrambling to come up with ways to jumpstart the comatose console environment than believing in the mantra of JAPAN EFF YEAH! Like I said, it doesn't help that we already know about Famitsu's history when it comes to suspiciously high scores. I'm not saying that there isn't a bit of hurt pride at play here; I'm just not going to ignore the obvious conclusion that's being drawn.

Also, I don't really believe in Edge's UK bias; Crackdown was a divisive game and it sounds like the sequel is definitely in the same vein. Some guys will get it and some won't.

Dynoro

Dead Man Typing said:
Well, I referenced it as a joke in my earlier post because TT Games was bought by an American company. I don't for a second believe they actually rate UK games with any sort of bias.

So I think there was a fair reason for me mentioning it. Just defending myself.

I haven't played the full versions of either Lego HP or Crackdown 2 just their demo's, but apparently the demo of LHP isn't representative of the full game, where a lot of the charm comes from the hub world. At least according to the more glowing reviews like Eurogamer's.
I figured you were having a laugh due to the TT comment :D Its more the unjustified digs that get flung around that get irritating

Now one of my favourite bits of Edge - the cover and tease. :D

Cover is actually white, my stupid light makes every photo yellow and the flash makes that shiny cover text unreadable.

Cover:

k8d9w.jpg

Rear Cover:

22yd1z.jpg

Tease - Rainbow Islands?:

5uo5sz.jpg

Cover of the Metroid mini-mag:

2vt13t5.jpg

Gowans

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Isn't that the XBL indie game?
Yup it's awesome.

The creator Trumpets posts on GAF, well done well deserved of an Edge 8!!!!

Well done EDGE for scoring it too.
Going check it out on indies it's super cheap and has a trial.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Edge Scores are in..... AND HERE WE GO!!

Same old thing everytime

Edit: Will buy for the Mini Mag

miksar

What do they say about DQ9? And are there any other current-gen jRPGs they rated so high (apart from Demon's Souls)?

SonOfABeep said:
They did the same thing with Halo 3. Everyone else bashed it's lack of creativity and similarity, but Edge focused more on the "fun" element of the game. They probably took the same angle with Crackdown 2.

Everyone has been saying it's a fun game, it's just that the familiarity is a bigger deal to some reviewers than others.

Remember, they're OPINIONS, not FACTS.

I'm sure many of the reviews were by different reviewers, but I have noticed that Edge seems to score co-op games quite highly. Halo 3, ODST, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 all feature 4 player co-op and scored solid 9s from Edge. Make sense that Crackdown 2 would also score well for them. I know that for myself co-op modes often turn B games into A games and Crackdown 2 with three friends is great fun.

EDGE said:
Raised to the power of four-way co-op, the potential for fun is extraordinary.

jkanownik

miladesn said:
Lego Harry Potter deserves much higher.

Much higher is a stretch. I've 100%'ed every LEGO game and the 1UP review put it best:

Grading Lego Harry Potter is difficult. It's simultaneously the best and the buggiest Lego console game for various reasons. To the game's credit, Harry's magical world fits superbly with the series and grants the Lego formula some very welcome refreshment. But it's also a dishearteningly frequent perpetrator of bugs, glitches, and, shockingly, what seems like sloppiness; though expertly polished over all, in specific instances, the game just seems like a downright rush job.

The Metacritic average of 78% seems fair if you take into account the bugs & glitches, so it's not like a 6 is unreasonable.

seady

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
CD 2 has the British advantage so knock 2 points off for the real the real score.

It's so real that we need two reals in it.

Anyway, this will be the first time I will pick up a copy of Edge (I live in US). Mostly for the E3 stuffs and of course the 3DS cover.

e217.jpg

Mar

Crackdown 2 is incredible. It's Crackdown but with 2 more friends along for the ride. This makes the game at least 4 times as fun.

Once again EDGE proves why their reviews are the only ones worth reading. I may not agree with them all the time, but they are more on the mark than off, compared with every other reviewer.

Darkflight said:
Tease - Rainbow Islands?:

5uo5sz.jpg

Hope so. I love me some Bub and Bob action.

Scooter

Banned
That Crackdown 2 review was probably written by a 10 year old boy. I'm surprised that Edge would be so lenient with a mediocre 360 game. Oh wait, I'm not.

Jex

Scooter said:
That Crackdown 2 review was probably written by a 10 year old boy. I'm surprised that Edge would be so lenient with a mediocre 360 game. Oh wait, I'm not.

It's like page 1 all over again.

Mahadev

Scooter said:

Is anyone? :lol

I played the demo and it was like a bad Crackdown knockoff. The magazine is a joke.

domlolz

Banned
Visualante said:
N'Gai and Randy are still there, I think Poole is too but no 100%

He is definitely in this months issue. I like Randy and Poole but N'Gai's articles never really interest me that much, not sure why.

Poole is an intelligent guy and his articles are always intriguing so I hope he hasn't gone.

Anticitizen One said:
Hmm has thus issue hit stores yet. The latest issue in my bookstore is the lbp 2 cover. Can I order this issue directly from them?

It was in WHSmiths yesterday so should be in shops now, otherwise you can subscribe from their website, but I can't see an option for a single issue.

McBacon said:
Future needs to hurry the fuck up with an iPad app. I haven't bought a paper magazine for months.

Urgh, no thanks. For me Edge is the last feeble connection to the days when you'd get decent, coherent videogames magazines (and they were rare enough then) that weren't seemingly written by 12 year old Gamefaqs kids purely for advertising clicks. It's depressing enough seeing the comments thread for their Crackdown 2 review filled with the same internet bullshit repeated ad infinitum. At least letters pages filtered out most of the functionally illiterate.

Casshern

Banned
Strummerjones said:
Urgh, no thanks. For me Edge is the last feeble connection to the days when you'd get decent, coherent videogames magazines (and they were rare enough then) that weren't seemingly written by 12 year old Gamefaqs kids purely for advertising clicks. It's depressing enough seeing the comments thread for their Crackdown 2 review filled with the same internet bullshit repeated ad infinitum. At least letters pages filtered out most of the functionally illiterate.

More depressing than the tools defending that retarded review? I don't think so. The whole thing reads like a preview or the publisher's description in the back of the game's case.

Snuggler said:
So Jet Rocket sucks? Too bad, it looked nice in screen shots.
No, it isn't mindblowing or anything but it's a fun, solid platformer. Of course you could have found that out by playing the game for yourself instead of taking the word of a rag that gets it wrong 99% of the time.

I picked up Apple Jack for a buck. The production is fantastic. The art and music is great and the game's concept isn't that bad, but playing the game is the opposite of fun. The only reason I die is because of stupid reasons and the puzzle aspect is more frustrating to execute than it is to figure out.

For a buck I really can't complain, and the people that made it have a lot of talent, but I would have spent 5 bucks on a similar game that was actually fleshed out and figured out how to extract any sense of enjoyment out of it instead of having the game that we have now.

Top Bottom