• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #236 - GOTY's & Reviews

Detox

iS5lNIKyN5tl4.jpg

Next month
ig3UdWQceL95w.jpg

Edge Awards 2011
The winner is in bold and below it are the two runners-up.

Mainstream Game of the Year
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dark Souls
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Indie Game of the Year
SpaceChem
Bastion
Triple Town

Portable Game of the Year
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Jetpack Joyride

Best Online Experience
Dark Souls
Portal 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Best Visual Design
Uncharted 3
Battlefield 3
Child of Eden

Best Audio Design
Portal 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dark Souls

Publisher of the Year
Nintendo
Ubisoft
Bethesda Softworks

Studio of the Year
Eidos Montreal
Mojang
Firemint

The alternative awards are there aswell but I'm not sure if people would want those without the comments.

Reviews
Minecraft - 9
Mario Kart 7 - 9
Need For Speed: The Run - 3
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 9
Kinect Sports: Season 2 - 6
Saints Row The Third - 6
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - 7
Diamond Trust Of London - 6
Where Is My Heart? - 8

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
A preview on Final Fantasy XIII-2, interesting...
I'm thinking how they'll review it once out. They absolutely hated XIII and rated it with a supernegative score... 5/10. Will the changes made to the formula help giving this time a more decent score?

God, I can't think at anything else than Square and FF. I'm sick lol ~

Atomski

Best Online Experience
Dark Souls
Portal 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Is this a joke? Dark Souls online hardly even worked for months. By the time the patched hit the community already seemed dead.

Derrick01

Banned
That cover makes my stomach churn more than their goty choice does. But hey at least they gave Eidos Montreal some love, it's probably all they'll get :(

Mafro

Is this a joke? Dark Souls online hardly even worked for months. By the time the patched hit the community already seemed dead.

SUMMONING FAILED
SUMMONING FAILED
SUMMONING FAILED

And it's actually worse than the online in Demon's Souls which had dedicated servers.

Their Best Audio and Best Online categories are...baffling.

And I never really took Edge for the hyper-enthusiastic type but in a year as strong as this one and they pick Skyward Sword as their game of the year? Nostalgia sure swings strong in the Edge office.

meppi

Agree with just about everything besides the score for Saints Row.
Although I can see people disliking the game a lot...

What is laughable about the scores? Or do you want them to use most sites rating scales? (7-10)?

Well just look at his post history and that'll tell you something.
Anything Nintendo will get trolled.

By the same token, Ubisoft got almost no nominations, yet is still nominated for publisher of the year.

Ubisoft should be disqualified from that award for their utter contempt for PC gamers.

(No 10 for Minecraft? Odd)

And I never really took Edge for the hyper-enthusiastic type but in a year as strong as this one and they pick Skyward Sword as their game of the year? Nostalgia sure swings strong in the Edge office.

There is very little about Skyward Sword that's nostalgic.

vareon

I wonder what's the reason Jetpack Joyride is a GOTY contender? It's good, but when you compare it to many other DS/3DS/PSP titles...

web01

Dark Souls online works flawless for me since the patch,
Summon signs everywhere lots of invaders and instant pvp if you go to the Kiln.

Anyway the award is well deserved I cannot think of any other game that has such a well designed and unique online system that released this year.

Edit: Up against Portal 2 and MW3 it definitely deserved to win.

From everything I've played this year, I'd choose Zelda as well. An all around amazing piece of work. Seems it's cool to hate it on GAF but the reality is that it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Also agree with Dark Souls as best online for sure.

genjiZERO

was there any discussion? Did they mention the issues with PS3 Skyrim? Haven' played Zelda yet, but glad to see Dark Souls do so well.

I've played a lot and am allowed to have an opinion.

You most certainly are...

I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game but saying "it's the best game I've ever played".

There's simply no place for statements like that considering the games that have come out in the last five years, let alone ten years.

You think Skyward Sword deserves game of the year accolades...awesome. It's definitely your opinion. Saying it's the best game you have ever played to simply reinforce your belief that it deserves game of the year is madness. This whole, "Well it's just my opinion" thing that seems to be picking up momentum here and...well...everywhere is growing tiresome. Opinions can be quite wrong, or flatout nonsense.

...and you still need to play more games.

Top Bottom