• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #254 - Oculus Rift

isUcqO3CutY2.jpg

Features
Occulus Rift
The new nations of game development
Game jams
The making of Cart Life
The art of Zeno Clash

Previews
Grand Theft Auto V
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Transistor
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Super Time Force
Diablo III
Survarium

Reviews
Metro: Last Light 8
Defiance 5
Injustice: Gods Among Us 8
Dead Island: Riptide 3
Soul Sacrifice 6
Star Trek: The Video Game 4
Don't Starve 6
Battleblock Theater 8
Badland 6
Solitaire Blitz 6
Zombie Road Trip 6

Next month

on sale June 6

print / iPad / Zinio

Gloam

EDGE is really doing a poor job with their covers recently. I like most of the other layout stuff from EDGE 4.0, but lately, the covers haven't been as memorable as they used to be. Also, ouch at that Wii U story.

epmode

Wow, a cover story. Almost makes me wish I went with the dev unit. Oh well, the consumer model is going to be a good time!

Diablo 3 console preview.
They only had a 15 minute demo, no PS4 version in sight. Makes transition to console "just about" but they say due to the new dodge control it feels more like an homage to God of War than the PC game it is. Fewer but better drops to ensure players spend less time in menus. 30 fps capped, drops when busy. No battle.net or auction house.

ScOULaris

I felt pretty much the same as they did with regard to Don't Starve. I love the concept, but playing the game just feels like busywork to me. I like some immediacy and challenge in my randomized games (like Spelunky and Binding of Isaac), and there just isn't enough conflict in Don't Starve to keep me interested. I feel like you could survive for hours (real-time) by just eating berries and staying warm at night. The art style is gorgeous, though.

Bought the iPad edition. Good read. The GTA preview doesn't really contain any new information, but there is a lot of enthusiasm in that preview. Lords of Shadow 2 sounds great as well. More Metroidvania elements, a seamless world and improved combat and platforming. On the indie front, Tansistor sounds like a much better game than the slightly overrated Bastion to me, but the real kicker here is Super Time Force, the main reason I haven't packed my 360 yet.

Review-wise, the most intesting one has to be Last Light. According to Edge it is far superior to the first. Incredibly atmospheric, great world building and much improved stealth mechanics. The say most rooms are self-contained puzzles that can be tackled in various ways. Downsides? Navigation can be clumsy, they recycle a moment from the first game and there might be a few turret scenes too many, but overal it sounds damn good.

Any info from the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 preview?
It's open world, looks very cool. I wish they talked about the Spanish influence.. it would be interesting to see if that has had any effect on the games (I didn't play the first two). Enric Alvarez says the city is "Chicago by way of Bayonetta's Vigrid, with pseudo Medieval growths erupting from every surface". Two hubs the city and the castle, equally sized. They're really aiming for variety and surprise apparently.

Cool, the Rift made the cover!

The hype has been snowballing downhill for this thing ever since John Carmack showcased off the first homebrew prototype at E3 2012. The momentum from just word of mouth alone has been nothing short of amazing, really.

Review-wise, the most intesting one has to be Last Light. According to Edge it is far superior to the first. Incredibly atmospheric, great world building and much improved stealth mechanics. The say most rooms are self-contained puzzles that can be tackled in various ways. Downsides? Navigation can be clumsy, they recycle a moment from the first game and there might be a few turret scenes too many, but overal it sounds damn good.

Last Light is sounding mighty fine. I thought the first one had some good ideas, but didn't really feel that great to play - though I never finished it.

I may bite on Last Light if it keeps getting great reviews.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone can paraphrase why they said that the Rift is awesome?

netBuff

Bought the iPad edition. Good read. The GTA preview doesn't really contain any new information, but there is a lot of enthusiasm in that preview. Lords of Shadow 2 sounds great as well. More Metroidvania elements, a seamless world and improved combat and platforming. On the indie front, Tansistor sounds like a much better game than the slightly overrated Bastion to me, but the real kicker here is Super Time Force, the main reason I haven't packed my 360 yet.

Thanks for writing down your impressions! I really need to consider switching to digital when my subscription is up, it always takes ages for EDGE to cross the channel by mail and arrive at my house (although I prefer paper).

EDGE is really doing a poor job with their covers recently. I like most of the other layout stuff from EDGE 4.0, but lately, the covers haven't been as memorable as they used to be. Also, ouch at that Wii U story.

While I tend to agree, last months issue was pretty pleasant looking (Playstation 4).

Wow, a cover story. Almost makes me wish I went with the dev unit. Oh well, the consumer model is going to be a good time!

The consumer unit will be a much better product, for waiting a bit you're going to get a better experience.

Top Bottom