• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

img_20131023_12582276r4r.jpg
Features
Xbox One vs PS4
Controller: Microsoft adds 40 upgrades to its near-perfect 360 controller design and retains the title belt for another round
Hardware: While Xbox One attempts to blend in with your other consumer electronics PS4's design exudes real charisma
Launch window exclusives: A proven racing franchise in Forza 5 and exclusivity on Titanfall. Advantage Microsoft
Indie support: Sony is clearly out ahead when it comes to indies, and it's telling how much weight that has carried in players' minds
First party studios: Microsoft has weighty series but the combination of Naughty Dog, Media Molecule and Team Ico wins out.
Second screen experience: Having both Vita and tablets in play makes Sony's second-screen pitch the more immediately persuasive.
Social services: There's little to choose between them, but Microsoft is building its service on more stable foundations.
Cloud technology: Sony's vision for Gaikai feels like the most tangible road map either company has yet delivered
Media and services: If you want a multimedia box and don't mind Kinect's insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.
Ease of development: Both offer a friendly environment, but only Sony has the policies to really encourage experimentation

Also includes an interview with Frank Gibeau (EA) and Eric Hirshberg (Activision)

Twenty best games of our life time (according to Edge readers)
20 - World of Warcraft
19 - Marjoa's Mask
18 - Vice City
17 - Chrono Trigger
16 - Portal
15 - Red Dead Redemption
14 - Bioshock
13 - Ico
12 - The Last of Us
11- Dark Souls
10 - Super Mario Galaxy
9 - Metal Gear Solid
8 - Shadow of the Colossus
7 - Goldeneye
6 - Halo
5 - RE4
4 - Final Fantasy VII
3 - Half Life 2
2 - Super Mario 64
1 - Ocarina of Time

Making of... Towerfall

Previews
Dark Souls II
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
Deep Down
D4
Hohokum

Reviews
Beyond: Two Souls - 5
Card Hunter - 8
Pokemon X/Y - 8
Rain - 5
Sonic: Lost World - 4
Wii Party U - 5
Sokobond - 9
Ookibloks - 8
Where's My Water? 2 - 4

rllmukforum and bordersdown but you both made errors transcribing the scores, Sokobond Wii Party U and respectively. Thanks to symphonask for the cover image.

subscription info

Skeff

Disagree with controller and launch games, but they're opinion based, also they haven't shown what media apps we will even get, the only ones confirmed for UK are the ones o the PS4...

Rootbeer

Banned
So, cloud goes to PS4 despite MS being the one touting their cloud features the loudest... interesting.

And they prefer the Xbone gamepad over PS4 despite most industry experts so far going with the opposite choice.

Cant wait to try both gamepads for myself and see where I fall.

Cloud tech?

Ok..that makes no sense. Last time I checked, it was MS that was giving away Cloud services for free and that Sony said servers were up to the developer?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The controller is subjective but how did they arrive at these?:

Social Services - Xbox One
Media and Services - Xbox One

V_Arnold

I have to strongly disagree with that list. It is so console-focused that is not even funny.
I can name at least half a dozen PC title from the same 1995-2000 era that just ravages and eats alive any Zelda titles from the same age. And seriously, the Last of Us?

JayTapp

Features

20 Best games of our lifetime (according to Edge readers)
20 - World of Warcraft
19 - Marjoa's Mask
18 - Vice City
17 - Chrono Trigger
16 - Portal
15 - Red Dead Redemption
14 - Bioshock
13 - Ico
12 - The Last of Us
11- Dark Souls
10 - Super Mario Galaxy
9 - Metal Gear Solid
8 - Shadow of the Colossus
7 - Goldeneye
6 - Halo
5 - RE4
4 - Final Fantasy VII
3 - Half Life 2
2 - Super Mario 64
1 - Ocarina of Time

Who's lifetime??

Where is Ninja Gaiden? Zak McKraken? The Last Ninja? Tie Fighter? Super Metroid? A Link to the Past? Megaman? Ultima?

I'm too old :(

Beyond: Two Souls - 5
Rain - 5
Sonic: Lost World - 4
Wii Party U - 4
Cloud Tech - PS4

kobelol.png

Seriously though WTF Wii Party U, i was gonna buy that this friday, fuck sake Ninty
crybabyv.png

StuBurns

Banned
That's the correct score for Rain.

Surprised they favor the XBO controller. Not had a chance to play with it myself, so that's not passing judgement or anything.

Oh, and no, Ico is still the best game ever made.

coldfoot

Banned
Controller is BS, it's a personal preference and will be different for everyone.
Also smh at giving the Cloud tech to PS4 without seeing anything on either platform and disregarding the cloud being built right into the API of the Xbone.
I'm also wondering if the "launch games" criteria takes into account multiplats running better on the PS4, because if it did, PS4 might just pull ahead there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not too surprised if they chose Sony on 'cloud tech', at least in the vision they outlined.

They outlined specific benefits and use cases. Streaming of legacy games. Remote play of friends games etc. Immediate demos.

These things are further out into the future, but they're at least specific end-user facing things with obvious benefit.

Microsoft has been wishy-washy about benefits of their tech to games. Now dedicated servers are great, but they're not exactly a new phenomenon, and multiplat games that support dedis are likely to do so on all platforms. The infrastructure that supports it on different platforms is a developer concern, not an end-user one, while applications of cloud technology outlined for PS4 have very obvious end-user relevance. And beyond dedis MS has been pretty vague about benefits.

Crazy subjective shit.

Based on what Xbox has revealed, they should be better on Cloud overall, even taking Gaikai into account. Rackspace is still speculative without any consumer/developer facing details, and SOE is more about games and less about tech.

In terms of Social, PS4 should be better, as it actually connects with more social services, whereas most of Xbox's social tissue is still within XBL only, with more sharing features to come post-launch.

Huggers

How can they judge which has the better launch games? They can only go on quantity which isn't a good measure in this instance.

Controller is BS, it's a personal preference and will be different for everyone.
Also smh at giving the Cloud tech to PS4 without seeing anything on either platform and disregarding the cloud being built right into the API of the Xbone.
I'm also wondering if the "launch games" criteria takes into account multiplats running better on the PS4, because if it did, PS4 might just pull ahead there.

They're likely ranking the controllers based on tech, not personal feel.

The rumble triggers in the XB1 controller will likely add depth to games easier than the touch pad on the DS4.

I'd have thought free dedicated servers for every X1 game would've trumped any other cloud feature.

Interesting that they say the X1 controller is better.

Man is Sonic Lost World really that bad?
Highest Sonic has ever scored in Edge was 8 for Sonic R on the Saturn and Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, in recent years the only high scoring Sonic game was All Stars Racing and Sonic Rush both getting a 7.

The series is averaging about 5.6.

Top Bottom