• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #276 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

It basically sounds like they're building the game many have been asking for them to make with Uncharted. Much more open ended platforming/traversal mechanics and challenging puzzles.

Salex_

Nice summary. Sounds like they're improving on all of the complaints I normally see from the previous games and building upon the positives of their last few games. This will be my first console Uncharted unless they announce a PS4 port of the trilogy.

It's strange that out of all of those new details the FPS comment was the one that got a new thread lol.

It's not even that bad of a scan, perhaps a little darker. I just figured some people have awful monitors and phones which exacerbate the issue.

Here's the original that @Edge_ebooks posted

http://i.imgur.com/2aX0O3p.jpg[[/QUOTE]
No, don't worry. But scanners will do that to an image. Just so people understand the original looks better.
Black crush, loss of detail and nuance in colours, too much sharpness, etc. (Depending on the scanner).

It's not a bad scan. But it has the charasteristics of a scan.

Personally, i've traded scanning for a photo with a dslr.. More work but way more reliable as a reproduction. This related to my work, not magazines. Photo's and drawings
[quote="SSReborn, post: 147633674"]- They tried to get clarification about the Amy Hennig thing but that was thrown right out the window

- Animation system from PS3 games was scrapped and rebuilt to allow full analogue movement through 360 degress using real body physics

- Slip Events (like when he used to grab on handhelds and they break or come out of place) they are not mapped to scenery like in older games but instead are dependent on the angle and distance of the jump also less stable ones will break easier if they do you need to take another route

- Drakes Piton which is similar to Lara's Pickaxe from Tomb Raider differs from the latter because its designed to empower freedom

- The grapple points are fixed but allow Drake to swing, rappel, climb or run along and around cliff faces

- They say Uncharted's most linear system has become freeform and instead of pushing up on the stick and following a preditermined path path your making your own. They also compared it to solving a puzzle.

- The enemies have a similar traversal set to drakes and can clamber up ledges and leap gaps in pursuit of the player.

- Breaking the line of sight by using the foliage or by other means and the enemy will not return to normal patrol patterns and instead seek you out or stay in place while staying in constant communication with each other

- The combat is a mix of stealth, traversal, melee, and gunplay which is an evolution of what they began building from UC2

- Tremendous amount of The Last of Us blueprint in UC4 in regards to the combat alternating between stealth and combat is fluid

- Learned a lesson from Jak II where they designed a level where you Daxter rides a rocket, was kind of upset about how they spent so much time on something you only seen once in the entire game. Came to appreciate adding systems that flow throughout the entire game more

- Part of ND's evolution is getting comfortable with systematic approaches, wider layouts and the intergration of Story, Gameplay, music etc

-Edge thinks its the prettiest game the new gen has produced

-ND is pleased with the added memory and are taking advantage of it

T-exture resolution at least quadrupled from UC3

-Drake wakes to an island shore off the coast of Madagascar waking to a backdrop of procedurally tessalated water, Dynamic wind that moves trees, bushes, Drakes hair (Head and Chest)

- Up close a system developed by ND and Sony's Advanced Technology Group offers a more efficient way of making highly detailed surfaces without using performance adaptive tessellation while farther away the studio is relying more on background LOD algorithms more than ever before

- A physically based shader two years in the making makes materials look like their real world counterparts

- They were showed a wireframe wall with 100 handholds showing the shape of his body adapting to the shape of the wall as he climbed

- On PS3 Drake had 250 bones in his model on PS4 800 in his face alone

- They are over 30 but have locked at 30 for the demo they are gonna try to hit 60 but won't compromise if they have to lose something that can impact the player experience

- Druckmann says the adventure has to stand on its own with hints to Drakes character in the older games for people who haven't played if you have then you understand more of the nuances of Drake and his relationships

- UC3 ending gave them a clean slate dealt with all his present problems so that they could delve into his past

- 4 years after he's settled down and retired when he is lured back into the life by his brother sam who he last saw 15 years ago during that time they were bosessed with finding a treasure plundered by Henry Every who ammassed the largest haul over the space of two years in the 17th century its worth half a billion dollars by todays standards

- Drake moved on but Sam continued looking and came back into his bro's life with incentive for both of them he has a new lead on Libertalia, Every's pirate Utopia

- When they add new characters it has to reflect a facet of the protagonist in a unique way

- A brother allows them to ask who is Nathan Drake and how has he evolved into the person we see today

- Sam's arrival makes it seem as if there is no female foil, Elena is seemingly at home and not really happy with him coming out of retirement and Chloe and Drake when their seperate ways in UC3 third act

- The only known female in the game at this point is Nadine Ross the leader of the South African Private Military army that patrols the island she was hired by Rafe Adler, another treasure hunter in which Nate and his Bro have history with

- They're the enemy but ND doesn't like to think of them like that, when they are writing these characters they don't want to write them as cliches so they they just write it as if it were from their POV because those character's don't necessarily see themselves as the antagonist

- They are trying to look at all moments even between cutscenes as a scene; they are thinking in filmic terms but what's important is how much they can put on the "stick"

Yeah it was a stark contrast to their uc4 preview[/QUOTE]
Ngghh, sounds Great.

Wait, 800 bones in a face?

Preview sounds great except for the Elena part...
Emily didn't really have much time between Haven and her pregnancy, I wonder if that was a factor. Damn it, I'm really going to miss her if she's barely in the game, it's just not the same without her.

SSReborn

Preview sounds great except for the Elena part...
Emily didn't really have much time between Haven and her pregnancy, I wonder if that was a factor. Damn it, I'm really going to miss her if she's barely in the game, it's just not the same without her.

They said Elena's seemingly at home so I don't think they know for sure.

Game4life

Banned
Nice summary. Sounds like they're improving on all of the complaints I normally see from the previous games and building upon the positives of their last few games. This will be my first console Uncharted unless they announce a PS4 port of the trilogy.

It's strange that out of all of those new details the FPS comment was the one that got a new thread lol.

Yup. Does anyone else want to create a new thread on this summary or should we leave it. I guess fans following the game here would somehow find this info anyway.

Riozaki

Banned
Am I getting it wrong or Elena and Chloe will not be in UC4 ? or at least They will not have huge part of the game !!!

4 years would make more sense considering that's the real world amount of time between Uncharted 3's release (2011) and Uncharted 4's release year (2015).

RefigeKru

Banned
Probably has to do with how you position it between movement and where you jump in certain cases, slipping on the rocks, etc.

Certainly of the same ilk but more than just jump - square - jump - square to get around.

LastNac

- They tried to get clarification about the Amy Hennig thing but that was thrown right out the window

Yeah, I don't think we will ever get the official word on this, least of all from ND. Amy Hennig wasn't shown or mentioned once in the 30th Anniversary Video they released recently, which is a shame because I honestly think she helped shape ND into what it is today. Definitely unfortunate that things apparently ended poorly.

But at the same time I'm super excited for her addition to the Star Wars universe, and if promises are kept UC4 is shaping up to be the best Uncharted to date. In the end I think everyone still walks away successful.

SSReborn

The hell does that mean?
I never fully understood it either to be honest.

They said something about how it allows for freedom unlike the TR one that only changes the animation so I'm gonna assume they just mean it's used to help carve out where you are going to go in terms of player choice while the Tomb Raider one was used just at certain spots on a predetermined path.
It means

'we copied it from Tomb Raider but rather than admit it we're going to claim ours is better somehow'
Incorrect considering that's the opinion of edge.

Am I getting it wrong or Elena and Chloe will not be in UC4 ? or at least They will not have huge part of the game !!!

it's probably for the best, they can't keep adding new character and using all their old character forever, especially since none of them ever died, the cast would just be too many and the story could suffer because of it.

The hell does that mean?

It means

'we copied it from Tomb Raider but rather than admit it we're going to claim ours is better somehow'

Urm... have you played Tomb Raider? When you pick at the appropriate surface, all you have to do is move your analog and Lara will quickly (and completely unrealistically) just move there. There's nothing to think about after you've pressed the button.

In Uncharted 4, Drake can't traverse the entire surface only with the Piton - he can only use it as a bridge to another climbable spot. This alone makes it completely different from TR, and then you add in the multiple paths, paths you have to go through quickly or else they are destroyed... well, I guess you can figure out the rest.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the level they showed looked open to me, not as open as the stuff in Crysis, but the forest might open up as you explore more of it....

It was wider than, say, the forest in Uncharted 2 (which, let's be honest, was a dressed-up corridor), but absolutely nowhere near the open-worldesque island levels of Crysis. The level was quite clearly a linear path -- one with a few more options than in past games. But if you want to stick to your guns that the game will in fact be open-world, be my guest. ;)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They (Bruce Straley & Neil Druckmann) said in the Game Informer interview that they reined in the size of the levels from where they were when they took over development as leads.

Edit: reigned -> rein, too much Crusader Kings 2 ;-)

JaseC

They (Bruce Straley & Neil Druckmann) said in the Game Informer interview that they reigned in the size of the levels from where they were when they took over development as leads.

Well, that's that, then.

valkyre

They (Bruce Straley & Neil Druckmann) said in the Game Informer interview that they reigned in the size of the levels from where they were when they took over development as leads.

Bardon my english but what does the expression "reigned in the size" mean? Totally honest question. You mean that bruce and Neil decided to open up the levels and the game more, once they got involved?

LastNac

Bardon my english but what does the expression "reigned in the size" mean? Totally honest question. You mean that bruce and Neil decided to open up the levels and the game more, once they got involved?

No, if anything they made them smaller and more direct.

JaseC

To "rein in" something means to bring it under control or slow it down, so what he's saying is that the scope of the levels was reduced.

Thanks for the explanation and holly crap that wasnt the news I wanted to hear :/

They said it was because of pacing. The "Amy Hennig era' leftovers had some areas that were so big that you lost all sense of pacing exploring.

So, from what can be gathered, Neil/Bruce are focusing the design, less on scale/scope, but rather how you're supposed to feel in any particular level.

Presumably a high-intense moment will be very linear to keep you at the edge of your controller without losing sense of your path, but when the aim is to 'explore', there'll be bigger spaces.

Honestly, that's perfectly fine by me. From the sound of the article, ND is still getting comfortable with doing systemetic gameplay and larger sandboxes. I'd rather they not go 'we want the Skyrim audience' and create a large world for the sake of scale/scope, and focus on great experience and moment-to-moment gameplay.

Ricky_R

tumblr_mmyso7BK2z1rdutw3o1_400.gif

Hahah, so apt.

dracula_x

- Learned a lesson from Jak II where they designed a level where you Daxter rides a rocket, was kind of upset about how they spent so much time on something you only seen once in the entire game. Came to appreciate adding systems that flow throughout the entire game more

That part was in Jak 3, as I remember.

valkyre

They said it was because of pacing. The "Amy Hennig era' leftovers had some areas that were so big that you lost all sense of pacing exploring.

So, from what can be gathered, Neil/Bruce are focusing the design, less on scale/scope, but rather how you're supposed to feel in any particular level.

Presumably a high-intense moment will be very linear to keep you at the edge of your controller without losing sense of your path, but when the aim is to 'explore', there'll be bigger spaces.

Honestly, that's perfectly fine by me. From the sound of the article, ND is still getting comfortable with doing systemetic gameplay and larger sandboxes. I'd rather they not go 'we want the Skyrim audience' and create a large world for the sake of scale/scope, and focus on great experience and moment-to-moment gameplay.

If it is the way you describe it, I am also perfectly fine myself. Of course I dont want Uncharted to become GTA but I was hoping for true exploration material. If they had to shrink down levels in order for better design then I am all in for it.

I only hope that indeed there are alternate paths , exploring new areas and for those things to be rewarding. I mean I want "alternate paths" to honestly be really alternate paths. Not what most games do, where there is a cross road and you just get a higher ground to snipe enemies.

Alternate path = a completely different route, for a example a route that will completely avoid a valley encounter and will instead lead me through caves to another encounter that I would not experience had I opted for the valley thing.

If this is what Bruce/Neil design brought to the table, then super. If they removed this, then crap.

SSReborn

I thought it was two, it was one of the mission that have really strict time limit, had to retry it a few times. Although i haven't played jak2 for a long time, so could be wrong
Straley actually said a character rides a rocket in Jak 2 I assumed it was Daxter because I remembered that scene. But he is correct it's from the third game. I couldn't clearly remember either.

LastNac

I'd be willing to think Richmond tried to combat the criticism that UC3 received in terms of being too linear and wanted to produce the antithesis of that with the fourth installment.

Bloodborne sounds great with discouraging kiting and has me more hyped even though I've already played a demo of it twice. Adrift sounds awesome, not being a FPS but also not a "walking-around-and-looking-at-stuff simulator" where you can interact with the world as much as possible and can "be able to grab, examine and move every piece of floating debris and operate every functional computer you find". But "Neil deGrasse Tyson would probably rip it to shreds," on the game's scientific accuracy XD. The Infinite Lives feature on people who are keeping arcade cabinets alive is fantastic even if I don't care about retro games.

The Order 1886 got annihilated. From bad and limited AI ("four playthroughs later we're yet to see an foe deviate from its fixed path"), stealth, transitional animations, to limited spaces and control. The only praise is for the weapons feeling properly destructive and the visuals like "the seat fabric in a first-class cabin looks remarkable".

Describing the character of Sir Galahad:
The demo yields little news about Galahad's character. The studio describes him as being "jaded and numb to the violence he witnesses day to day", which is one way of spinning the word "boring".
ibztxtSLzfCA3W.gif

In the year and a bit since The Order was announced, we've never been entirely sure about what it was trying to be. Now, having laid hands on it, we know. Sadly, it's not great news.

But as soon as we start to move, our goodwill evaporates.

Clunky transitional animations:
If you're going to make a scripted game, your scripting needs to be absolutely perfect. If you want to craft something cinematic, then you must do nothing that breaks the players immersion in the story and the world, because that's all you really have. When we press X to jump from the blimp and abseil down, it takes perhaps a second for Galahad to take off. When he hands, there's an awkward pause while he shifts from landing animation to neutral stance, resetting and flattening his feet before finally responding to our insistent taps of X and setting off again.

Such awkwardness is a recurring theme. If you aren't in quite the correct spot when you hit Triangle to open a door, Galahad simply slides into the right position. When you press the same button to pick up guns and ammo on a desk, he waves his left hand over them and they simply disappear. These are little things, sure, but such mistakes can have fatal consequences in a game such as this. We're told Ready At Dawn's current focus is on scripting events, and while it's working on the transitions between cutscenes and gameplay right now, there may still be enough time for other, more pressing, issues to be addressed.

The AI is barely deserving of the term...

It's almost certainly too late for fundamental changes to the design document...(goes on to talk about bad stealth) This is a system in which every individual enemy is its own instafail stealth mission.

For all the mechanical inanity, a steampunk Victorian London remains a setting that is hard to resist; that, and a decent yarn, may be enough to save this from mediocrity. But after this, The Order's muddled messaging has become much easier to understand. After all, it must be hard working out what to say when there's not a lot worth talking about.
ibztxtSLzfCA3W.gif

Ricky_R

Bloodborne sounds great with discouraging kiting and has me more hyped even though I've already played a demo of it twice. Adrift sounds awesome, not being a FPS but also not a "walking-around-and-looking-at-stuff simulator" where you can interact with the world as much as possible and can "be able to grab, examine and move every piece of floating debris and operate every functional computer you find". But "Neil deGrasse Tyson would probably rip it to shreds," on the game's scientific accuracy XD. The Infinite Lives feature on people who are keeping arcade cabinets alive is fantastic even if I don't care about retro games.

The Order 1886 got annihilated. From bad and limited AI ("four playthroughs later we're yet to see an foe deviate from its fixed path"), stealth, transitional animations, to limited spaces and control. The only praise is for the weapons feeling properly destructive and the visuals like "the seat fabric in a first-class cabin looks remarkable".

Describing the character of Sir Galahad:

ibztxtSLzfCA3W.gif

Clunky transitional animations:

ibztxtSLzfCA3W.gif

Ouch on The Order. I'm still getting the game day 1 though. ;)

Top Bottom