• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #277 - Fable Legends

The cover picture we liked here anyway...

B9gc6T7IgAADIXn.jpg
Yes there is an interview with Playtonic, there's 6 full time staff now and they hope to grow to 15 staff. First game is a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie and they have funding but would like to work with a publisher if it is mutual. "There's a history of working with Nintendo so we'd naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform. If people tell us to make Wii U our target console platform then we've got the flexibility to do that." Game will come to Steam early access and certain consoles as soon as they can.

Features
- Fable Legends
- Deeper Reading, on the rebirth of the text adventure
- The Fries Museum New Horizons exhibiition presents game art in a new context
- The Making Of... Pipe Mania
- Studio Profile: Simogo
- Time Extend: F-Zero GX
- Region Specific: Finland

Reviewed
Elite: Dangerous [8]
Life is Strange: episode one [7]
Dying Light [6]
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate [8]
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell [4]
Kalimba [7]
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax [6]

Previewed
Witcher III
The Long Dark
Project Cars
The Hunter: Primal
Survarium
Galak-Z: The Dimensional

this should hit digital store fronts and all good UK news agents Friday.

#278 on sale March 12
subscription info

TI82

Banned
I haven't been following Fable Legends, but as a fan of the first three (I know, how could I!?) this game looks actually not good. :/

oti

Banned
I haven't been following Fable Legends, but as a fan of the first three (I know, how could I!?) this game looks actually not good. :/

It looks terrible.

Fable 2 is one of my favourite games of all time. :(

Yes there is an interview with Playtonic, there's 6 full time staff now and they hope to grow to 15 staff. First game is a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie and they have funding but would like to work with a publisher if it is mutual. "There's a history of working with Nintendo so we'd naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform. If people tell us to make Wii U our target console platform then we've got the flexibility to do that."
Any more news on that? (pics?)
This is related to this, right? https://twitter.com/MingyJongo

Sunset Prince

Neo Member
It's nice to see Fable Legends getting some attention. I played it at gamescom and it was far better than I expected. Hopefully we'll see a new, more detailled trailer.

TI82

Banned
I'm a fan of the series too, and totally uninterested to this one. But I prefer single player games to online ones.
Same, this looks more like a weird Gauntlet reboot series.

It looks terrible.

I wouldn't say favorite but I definitely enjoyed all 3 main fable games. They have many many many flaws but I was able to avoid a lot of problems by simply not looking in the hype at all.

Would anyone have wanted fable 4 though?

I think they should have put the series on a hiatus... I do remain cautiously optimistic that fable legends might turn into something worth my time.

I think they should have put the series on a hiatus... I do remain cautiously optimistic that fable legends might turn into something worth my time.

They should have put Fable aside and worked on something new in the interim. After Fable III and The Journey, I think the series needed a bit of time to rest while Lionhead put their focus elsewhere.

TI82

Banned

Completely new IP would have been better. I still wouldn't have played it but it would give their players something new.

Raide

I am ok with Fable Legends if it means the series name is still alive and we get a Fable 4.

Actually, just reboot the whole thing and go back to the plans for Fable 1 and make good on it. I want to grow those trees dammit!

Prine

Banned
Robin Beanland and Gregg Mayles are the heart and soul behind Banjo and still at Rare, so without them involved im not really that excited. But more games of that kind is always welcomed, interesting that they said theyd like to go on WiiU. More info in Fable Legends would be nice OP.

Actually, just reboot the whole thing and go back to the plans for Fable 1 and make good on it. I want to grow those trees dammit!
I get the vibe that this is their intention with Legends. But they talk talk talk so much it's really hard to just filter out what they mean game to game.

UVG RAVEN

Banned
It looks terrible.

I LOVED the first one (my favorite game of all time, tied with FFVII), but each sequel has been total shit to me and from what I have seen this looks just as bad as 2,3 and Journey

Raide

I get the vibe that this is their intention with Legends. But they talk talk talk so much it's really hard to just filter out what they mean game to game.

Yeah, I really don't know where this fits. Pick from set classes and dungeon crawl with friends could actually work well if they keep the variety there but, deep down I just want a new Fable Open world RPG that actually has dungeon crawling co-op in it.

Salty about not getting review copies. I completely agree the scores are horse shit. Game is great.

You came to this conclusion based on a single number with zero context? No wonder euro gamer is getting rid of number scores. Metacritic has really fucked people up.

Salty about not getting review copies. I completely agree the scores are horse shit. Game is great.

I doubt that's the case with Edge. But then, they gave Dead Island 4/10 (which I thought was a very miserable score), so they're saying Dying Light is an improvement on that. They're also a publication who often seem to value creativity and innovation higher than just being a good example of its genre.

Massa

You came to this conclusion based on a single number with zero context? No wonder euro gamer is getting rid of number scores. Metacritic has really fucked people up.

Not Metacritic's fault that people can't take negative opinions of their favorite games.

Zia

Skimpy, kind of dull issue and a tiny reviews section (particularly considering it's been the most exciting winter for releases in awhile). Hope their freelancer budget hasn't bern cut...

I feel like after Fable 3 lionhead decided that instead of being overambitious and never hitting their goals that they would just stop being ambitious.

Deviousx

Signed up for the Fable Legends beta back in October and I still haven't received my code.

When Lionhead? Whennnnnnnn?! D:

Leflus

Nice cover.

I really want to be excited for a Fable game again, but it's hard to get excited for Legends when they've focused so much on multiplayer gameplay.
Exploration and character progression are two of Fable's most important aspects to me, and Legends looks like it's taking a few steps back in those areas.

Sorry Coral Griffon. :( I'll still give Legends a try when I get access to the beta though.

Top Bottom