• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #277 - Fable Legends

jtb

Banned
Fable has been progressively worse with each game. 2 had better control scheme and some good ideas, but 1 was by far the best, complete game of the series.

Nice cover and I'm glad to see some press about Fable Legends. Outside of the Windows 10 event it's been ridiculously quiet on all fronts for that game.

Bessy67

The cover picture we liked here anyway...

B9gc6T7IgAADIXn.jpg
New character? I don't remember seeing a 2 handed sword character in anything I've seen yet.

Coral Griffon

Lionhead, Game Director
Nice cover.

I really want to be excited for a Fable game again, but it's hard to get excited for Legends when they've focused so much on multiplayer gameplay.
Exploration and character progression are two of Fable's most important aspects to me, and Legends looks like it's taking a few steps back in those areas.

Sorry Coral Griffon. :( I'll still give Legends a try when I get access to the beta though.

All I could ask for.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Signed up for the Fable Legenda beta back in October and I still haven't received by code.

When Lionhead? Whennnnnnnn?! D:

They hate us.

I'm actually excited about the game - loot based fantasy Evolve / Zombi U multiplayer. I'm all for things that haven't been done on consoles yet.

derFeef

Cool cover! Signed up for the FL beta so curious to try it out. Love the game concept and art - don't mind the Fable name if it's fun.

Figments

In This Thread: People seeing Fable Legends as a mainline Fable game and not a spinoff.

It's most likely a spinoff.

c0de

I played the game at gamescom last year and reading how evolve plays it seems both games are quite similar. It was a bit confusing to get into the game, especially because I was the one who had to stop the 4 heroes to reach their goal but it was fun to play nontheless.
But I hope they add more variety to the game as this game mode alone could be very repetitive in short time.

Bydobob

Salty about not getting review copies.

No it's just elitism, always been the way with Edge. Fun isn't enough, if the game doesn't innovate, provoke or challenge then it's not worthy of their gold standard. I'm very fond of the magazine and admire the high journalistic standard, but their navel-gazing has become parody over the years.

Very interested in the F-Zero GX feature, may hunt the mag down for that.

GoaThief

Really like that cover, think I may go out and pick up a copy.

Hoping for some more information on Fable Legends as I'm in two minds - with Fable 2 being one of the best from the 360s entire catalogue in my eyes.

antitrop

I got Dying Light in the Gamestop pricing error dealio, and after 55 hours with it, I thought it something like an 8. The 6s are somewhat hard to understand, I suppose one would have to really dislike the story and be completely burnt out on slicing zombies to pieces. The parkour kept it fresh and separates it from the crowd.

In This Thread: People seeing Fable Legends as a mainline Fable game and not a spinoff.

It's most likely a spinoff.

That's the opposite.

People do see it as a spinoff. I know I'm not the only person who loves Fable 1-3 and wanted a full, mainline, open world RPG Fable on Xbox One and that's not what this is. This game is going to crash and burn because people know it's not like 1-3.

The last 4 games not including the remake of 1 have been Legends, Journey, Heroes and Coin Golf and that's a damn waste and a shame.

Amir0x

Banned
One day I do hope they at least return the series to Fable II quality. I never understand how decently selling franchises can steer so far from what made the series appealing to fans in the first place, but alas seems these companies never listen to us anyway.

If this is just an offshoot, they are sure wasting a long time on this diversion since Fable III to bring a legit new sequel. I'm sure it'll happen after Legends bombs catastrophically anyway.

Alx

That's the opposite.

People do see it as a spinoff. I know I'm not the only person who loves Fable 1-3 and wanted a full, mainline, open world RPG Fable on Xbox One and that's not what this is. This game is going to crash and burn because people know it's not like 1-3.

I don't get the reasoning. It would "crash and burn" even more if people thought it would be like 1-3 and started complaining once it releases.
I don't see the issue with the game myself. Sure they're using the Fable IP, but it's obvious it is a completely new game. Actually since there's no real iconic character or world element in the IP (except maybe balverines, but that's not much), the similarity with the other Fable games probably ends at the title, and maybe the name of a few locations in the game.

In the end the game will succeed or fail depending on its quality, but if anything the Fable name will only help it gather attention.

herod

Edge dropped review scores once and hurriedly replaced them after complaints, I wonder if they'd consider doing the same again now.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'm holding out hope for Fable Legends, my main fear is that they have only shown the same looking green area everytime for the game.

I haven't been following Fable Legends, but as a fan of the first three (I know, how could I!?) this game looks actually not good. :/

I am the same, I never understood the hate for the third one (Well I did but I liked it!)

But this one... Nah, I don't want an Online experience forced on me, I want to just pick a hero and go to saving Albion!

Percy

Banned
O i think most know its not a mainline Fable game. The problem is a lot of people do not want another spinoff Fable game.

Even more people probably don't want another mainline entry if it's just going to keep the garbage changes to the game that Fable 3 employed. A fully realised Fable game that plays like Fable 2 with all of the gameplay mechanics and character development systems that title had in place would probably please the vast majority who liked the series at the start.

Unfortunately, Fable Legends doesn't do any of that and looks thoroughly uninteresting into the bargain, so chances are I'll be skipping it... and that's speaking as someone who actually bought Fable Heroes :/

Top Bottom