• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #279 Cover: Splatoon.

The other thing to remember, I guess, is that even if the raw numbers aren't that huge, there's always the amiibo, 3DS themes, badges (sorry, NA/EU/Other), DLC and so on that can help make money if they can get a lot of buyers to grab the other stuff, too.

Amiibos: The Gateway Drug

(well said)

No review scores? Mine arrived this morning, Bloodborne got a 10.

Beautiful. Do you know the other review scores?

It won't sell Mario Kart numbers but it will catch on and do well no matter how long it takes it to.

People screaming "bomba" as if it will sell like The Wonderful 101 or whatever are in for a surprise/rude awakening.

I could see this taking off enough from word of mouth on Miiverse.

I wouldn't bank on the game selling well. I think it will easily outdo something super bomby like Wonderful 101, but I'm anticipating reviews in the 80's and pretty average sales all round.

I generally think it's a good idea to set expectations low and be pleasantly surprised if something exceeds those expectations. It's better that than being let down.

Beautiful. Do you know the other review scores?

I wouldn't bank on the game selling well. I think it will easily outdo something super bomby like Wonderful 101, but I'm anticipating reviews in the 80's and pretty average sales all round.

I generally think it's a good idea to set expectations low and be pleasantly surprised if something exceeds those expectations. It's better that than being let down.

I guess but I expect a lot of 9s for this game(some 8s).

I think it's going to turn out THAT good.

I know I'm doing it wrong:p

MutFox

Banned
Wonder how they'll do the marketing for Splatoon...
Hope the marketing is not something too family friendly,
and seems like a game for pre-schoolers.

Wonder how they'll do the marketing for Splatoon...
Hope the marketing is not something too family friendly,
and seems like a game for pre-schoolers.

You'll get your average diverse group of teenagers having their lives invaded by ink and then turning into squids/Inklings while battling in a generic big city/suburban environment and you'll love it!

<3 NoA marketing

The cover's OK I guess, but it could be so much better...

9mquFCk.gif

LMAO, I love it

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I actually like that cover. I can see the butt cheeks, but it's still a cool cover. Though I agree other Splatoon art would be amazing enough on its own as a cover.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The squids aren't an iconic character. So it would've been a much better idea to make an artwork featuring the cast of characters instead of trying to be minimalistic.

cacildo

What's so special about Splatoon?
Have a Wii U and love FPS games.

Seen video's but not sure what the hype is about.
Seems like something I'd get bored of after a week,
not something I'd be playing for years, like CS:GO.

Is there a video out there that shows something special?

yes but not for you

everybody will play and have fun and you will be left out

Neiteio

What's so special about Splatoon?
Have a Wii U and love FPS games.

Seen video's but not sure what the hype is about.
Seems like something I'd get bored of after a week,
not something I'd be playing for years, like CS:GO.

Is there a video out there that shows something special?
Nintendo game feel. It's made by EAD.

A big part of the game is the ability to turn into a squid and travel swiftly through your own ink. This leads to all kinds of neat traversal, like spraying ink on a wall and swimming up the wall to a sniper perch (maybe even sneaking up on a sniper), or leaping out of the ink in squid form and phasing through a fence, or hiding in your ink while enemies walk by. Your ink slows enemies down; their ink slows you down. Hiding in your ink also refills your ink.

You can stick with your team and pave a path in which they can swim, or you can hang back at base and lay down lots of ink to control more territory. Lots of strategy, and that's before you get to melee weapons like the paintroller and brush, sub-weapons like the sprinklers and showers, and then the power weapons like the AoE cyclone, etc. And while you can play the game with just the analog sticks, you can supplement them with slight tilts of the controller for super-precise gyro aiming, which is said to work really well.

The game just looks amazing. The polish, the presentation, the pacing of the fights. Really excited to try it, since everyone who plays it seems to love it.

aly

Battlefield hardline - 7
Bloodborne - 10
Hotline miami 2: wrong number - 5
Ori and the blind forest - 7
Kirby and the rainbow paintbrush - 8
Axiom verge - 8
Titan souls - 5

Dat Bloodborne. Wonder what they did'nt like about Hotline Miami 2.

I was exaggerating that it's the "best" cover I have ever seen but now that I assess it, it's a great image of the game, eyes peering out of paint ready to sabotage the unsuspecting foe.

Battlefield hardline - 7
Bloodborne - 10
Axiom verge - 8
Titan souls - 5

Woah, strange scores! Higher than most for Kirby, and pretty low for Ori and especially Hotline 2.

That's an unfortunate cover, but I sure hope Splatoon is a success. I feel like Nintendo has potentially struck gold with it, it just needs to sell well.

A big part of the game is the ability to turn into a squid and travel swiftly through your own ink. This leads to all kinds of neat traversal, like spraying ink on a wall and swimming up the wall to a sniper perch (maybe even sneaking up on a sniper), or leaping out of the ink in squid form and phasing through a fence, or hiding in your ink while enemies walk by. Your ink slows enemies down; their ink slows you down. Hiding in your ink also refills your ink.

You can stick with your team and pave a path in which they can swim, or you can hang back at base and lay down lots of ink to control more territory. Lots of strategy, and that's before you get to melee weapons like the paintroller and brush, sub-weapons like the sprinklers and showers, and then the power weapons like the AoE cyclone, etc. And while you can play the game with just the analog sticks, you can supplement them with slight tilts of the controller for super-precise gyro aiming, which is said to work really well.

The game just looks amazing. The polish, the presentation, the pacing of the fights. Really excited to try it, since everyone who plays it seems to love it.

You just sent my hype levels through the roof with this description. I hope we get a release date soon...I want to plop down a pre-order even though I generally avoid the practice out of principle.

RAWi

That's an awesome description of the game mechanics. I really want to play it, and single player remembers me of Mario Sunshine A LOT! Like holy shit, it is Mario Sunshine but with ink and awesome platforming and shooting :D

nib95

Banned
Battlefield hardline - 7
Bloodborne - 10
Axiom verge - 8
Titan souls - 5

Damn, a lot of those are lower than expected, aside from Bloodborne obviously.

Cindro

On the one hand, I think this cover does a tremendous disservice to the frankly spectacular art design of the game. The human form of the inklings, for example, are far more striking than the zoomed in angry eyes of the squid. And, for all of the bright orange on display, there color palette of the game proper is of course infinitely more engaging when it isn't boiled down to a single shade.

On the other hand, I'm guessing the typical Edge readership might be more interested in this cover than something with the elements I mentioned above, as the furrowed eyes will at least delay the snap-judgement some people will experience to immediately dismiss the game as kiddy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Aww, I was excited when I saw the thread title but that cover is pretty terrible. I'm still glad to see Splatoon getting major coverage.

MutFox

Banned

Thanks, I'll def check it out, maybe not at launch, well depends on E3... :p

yes but not for you

everybody will play and have fun and you will be left out

Look above as an example of a good response.

Top Bottom