• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #284 | The Taken King

Floex

CNVKXu5UsAAyAHS.jpg:large

Destiny: The Taken King - 22-page article

PLAY
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 9
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - 9
Galak-Z: The Dimensional - 8
Until Dawn - 7
Devil's Third - 3
Starlight Reign - 5
Beyond Eyes - 6
Submerged - 3
Rocket League - 8

HYPE

Star Fox Zero - "The game references its predecessors to such an extent that it can feel underwhelming."
Ark: Survival Evolved - "you wake on a beach with nothing, not even clothes."
Rainbow Six Siege - "gets the series back on track."
Scalebound - "The game channels Kamiya's work on Okami as much as it does Bayonetta."
Dark Souls III - "We're soon admiring how well a touch of Bloodborne's DNA is incorporated here."
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns - "Over on the forums, a particularly impactful tactic for dealing with offensive words was employed, replacing every unutterable slice of foul language with 'kitten'."
Heat Signature - "Spinning through the vacuum of space in a recently extricated urinal block isn't a situation we planned for today."
ROUNDUP: Mafia 3, World of Warcraft: Legion, Crackdown 3, Stellaris, Star Wars Battlefront, LEGO Dimensions, The Assembly, EITR, Halo Wars 2, Homefront: The Revolution

TIME EXTEND

Half Life 2

MAKING OF
Her Story

STUDIO PROFILE
Playtonic

Thanks to DC07 at Rllmuk

Looks a really good issue. Starfox sounding bad at this point :(

ASIS

I honestly expected a 10 for MGSV but a 9 from Edge is still absolutely fantastic.

Until Dawn's score is also a pleasant surprise.

And finally, Starfox does seem stale, it's a shame that Edge is reinforcing that message :( *sigh*

weekev

Banned
8 for Rocket League seems fair as well (10 in my book but different strokes for different folks).

Surprised at the score fir everybodys gone to the rapture, this something I should be getting?

klee123

Devil's Turd indeed.

Instead of going out with a bang for Itagaki's final console project, it ends up being a whimper.

Tratorn

I don't understand how they can give EGTR a 9 but at the same time "only" a 7 for UD.
Both are going for a story-driven experience, but imo UD is doing it a lot better and also with more options than EGTR.

Donos

That's almost a 6 on the IGN scale.

Suprised about the 8 for Galak-Z. Like the game but the "Season" format with the harsh loss of everything after a death hampered my fun. Also had a progression glitch (lost 3 levels in season two). Have to read the review.

As someone who doesn't play Destiny: sexy covers !!

Real Hero

I don't understand how they can give EGTR a 9 but at the same time "only" a 7 for UD.
Both are going for a story-driven experience, but imo UD is doing it a lot better and also with more options than EGTR.

I'm guessing they liked one more than the other. You can't really fault their reasoning without reading the reviews

Options doesn't equal quality.

Maybe the specific reviewer of Rapture felt the story really resonated with the person.

While it didn't for the person who that reviewed Until Dawn.

Ridley327

Huh.. is Everybody's Gone to the Rapture THAT good?
It certainly has its appeal, but if you aren't big on walking simulators that revolve around piecing together a fragmented story and little else to do, it's not going to do much for you. Terrific VO performances, though.

For the record, I much preferred Dear Esther from the same devs, which is a much more atmospheric game with some genuinely unsettling Lovecraft undertones, even as it's quite a bit less interactive.

Destiny is "the best FPS in the universe," the cover claims. Hmmm, OK, if you say so.

Well, it's likely not the same reviewer that wrote both articles.

Huh.. is Everybody's Gone to the Rapture THAT good?

Unequivocally yes. Easily a 9/10 in my book.

Withnail

Not in my opinion. Severely lacks interactivity which hurts the game greatly for me. It makes zero use of the medium to tell it's story, and could have basically been a radio play and still got it's point across.

I don't agree with the radio play comment at all. There were several moments when the audio and the visuals came together beautifully.

But I really enjoyed the whole experience. Pleased to see the Edge reviewer felt the same.

Neff

I'm still ten times more interested in playing Devil's Third than I ever could be about playing Destiny.

Yamibito

Not in my opinion. Severely lacks interactivity which hurts the game greatly for me. It makes zero use of the medium to tell it's story, and could have basically been a radio play and still got it's point across.

Zero use of the medium? It's telling a story through a way that couldn't be done in another medium since you're exploring for the most part, so I think you're being just a bit ridiculous.

Looking forward to picking up Until Dawn with all the buzz it's getting. In fact, I've been wanting for it to be good for so long now that I want to play it more than MGSV at this point.

Top Bottom