• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #289 Street Fighter V + awards

They really must hate The Witcher 3.

They like, but don't love the game. They liked it far more than TW1 and TW2.

Edge aren't exactly big fans of WRPGs in general. They tend to appreciate games that are strong mechanically, have good moment-to-moment gameplay, are at least somewhat innovative and/or are charming and just plain fun to actually play. Most WRPGs are not that great in those areas and feel clunky in the eyes of Edge's staff.

Edge aren't exactly big fans of WRPGs in general. They tend to appreciate games that are strong mechanically, have good moment-to-moment gameplay, are at least somewhat innovative and/or are charming and just plain fun to actually play. Most WRPGs are not that great in those areas and feel clunky in the eyes of Edge's staff.

Which is hard to hold against them. Even though I love WC3 and its my second favorite game this year it definitely is clunky.

I-hate-u

All these accolades and sales, Sony would be crazy not give us a Bloodborne sequel. But, From says Dark 3 is the last of that kind of game, so I don't know.

You need more insight.
/s

In all seriousness, from a gameplay perspective Bloodborne is far better than the other Souls game, the other games were better in other areas, but certainly not mechanically, especially Dark Souls 2, which was very clunky compared to the other games (still better than 99% of the games in the market though).

Bloodborne also had the best world building and lore, Demon's and Dark 1 had much better NPCs though (especially Demon's), and Dark 2 had a lot more content than the other three games, significantly so. Magic builds weren't as obtuse as they were in Bloodborne as well.

Demon's is my personal favorite because it had the best combination of everything, but I still recognize Bloodborne as the best Souls game mechanically.

I love both Dark and Demon's, but there is something about the the world of Bloodborne that draws me to it. Characters like Ludwig and Laurence interest me far more than Biorr or even Artorias too.

Probably. They did put TW3 in their 200 best games ever special (which by the way is a superb read), somewhere in the thirties from the top of my head. Dark Souls was 1, Bloodborne 4, so yeah, they have some big Miyazaki fans in their writing team.

Not a bad thing. The man's a fantastic game designer. Looking forward to reading the write-up.

All these accolades and sales, Sony would be crazy not give us a Bloodborne sequel. But, From says Dark 3 is the last of that kind of game, so I don't know.

I think they see - as do I - Bloodborne as its own series.

Lunar15

Makes sense in my eyes! W3 is my favorite game of the year, but it totally makes sense that it's not some people's cup of tea.

I really love bloodborne, but the blood vial system and the decidedly same-y areas hold it back from being as good as the previous Dark Souls games. The faster combat keeps it fresh, though, so I get why people love it as much as they do.

I wouldnt have put bloodborn as GOTY since it performs poorly FPS wise. Otherwise though its gorgeous and a fantastic game, I'd buy a PC GOTY version with expansion content if they release it (already own the PS4 version)

Makes sense in my eyes! W3 is my favorite game of the year, but it totally makes sense that it's not some people's cup of tea.

I really love bloodborne, but the blood vial system and the decidedly same-y areas hold it back from being as good as the previous Dark Souls games. The faster combat keeps it fresh, though, so I get why people love it as much as they do.

I never really quite got that. Hemswick, Cainhurst, Nightmare Frontier, Forbidden Woods, I think there is a lot of variety, yet also a tremendous consistency.

Oh, and the DLC has the Fishing Hamlet, which I thought was really good and probably the most Lovecraftian of the bunch.

But then again, I find cosmic horror more interesting than dark fantasy period, so perhaps that has something to do with. I adore BB's lore.

I wouldnt have put bloodborn as GOTY since it performs poorly FPS wise. Otherwise though its gorgeous and a fantastic game, I'd buy a PC GOTY version with expansion content if they release it (already own the PS4 version)

If that is your caveat pretty much the only games that could be nominated would be:
-MGS5
-Halo 5

and ummm thats pretty much it.

having a mediocre gameplay didnt stop TLOU or DA:I from winning tons of GOTYs , so you may be onto something.

DA:I I can understand but TLOU had excellent mechanics.

Vex_

Banned
CYmGHjdWAAEQUbM.png

Damn!

They got both bae #1 AND bae #2 up front on BOTH SIDES!!!! Shit!

They look so smug too!!!

<3

T.O.P

Banned
having a mediocre gameplay didnt stop TLOU or DA:I from winning tons of GOTYs , so you may be onto something.

Apart from the fact that TLOU has excellent gameplay and Inquisition was my Goty last year

I was more adressing the stupid use of that phrase concerning The Witcher 3 and the incredible inferiority complex that BB fan seems to have

Also that gold SFV cover is lovely, already have my copy pre-ordered on pc and can't wait for the launch next month

Alo0oy

Banned
I love both Dark and Demon's, but there is something about the the world of Bloodborne that draws me to it. Characters like Ludwig and Laurence interest me far more than Biorr or even Artorias too.

Yeah the story characters are best in Bloodborne, I was talking about in-game NPCs, Bloodborne didn't have a solair, or pretty much any NPC in Demon's

yuraya

MGSV launched simultaneously on 5 different platforms and had very few issues. Its really rare to see any AAA game do that let alone a Japanese one. KojiPro deserves the multi format award. The game has so much content and so many layers of AI/Tech its actually crazy to see it not be full bugs etc. Konami needs to sell the fox engine or license it out to other developers. Its really great.

reKon

Banned

If people actually played the game the proper way, then there's no way people would saying this. ND should have had a recommended setting for a experienced gamer wanting the best experience for first time playing (Hard mode, listening mode off)

Nah, Uncharted 2 was better.

Yeah... maybe if you're playing TLoU on normal. TLoU destroys Uncharted 2 on the gameplay front. It's a much more strategic and hectic game. The kills are way more satisfying and there is much more replay value instead of just moving around the map and trying to get headshots all game like you would in Uncharted 2.

If you were talking about story... then HELL no, Uncharted 2 is not better.

Probably. They did put TW3 in their 200 best games ever special (which by the way is a superb read), somewhere in the thirties from the top of my head. Dark Souls was 1, Bloodborne 4, so yeah, they have some big Miyazaki fans in their writing team.

Not a bad thing. The man's a fantastic game designer. Looking forward to reading the write-up.

I think they see - as do I - Bloodborne as its own series.

Well based on that list, TW3 is apparently their second favorite WRPG of all time, only behind
Skyrim.
*shudders*

Not the best TPS, but certainly not mediocre lol.

they should improve the enemies encounters in TLOU 2 tho.

It's a decent TPS, but there is a ton of room for improvement for sure.

Edge didn't give either of those games their GotY. In 2013 they gave it to GTAV and in 2014 they gave it to Bayonetta 2. In 2012 when most critics gave their GotY to The Walking Dead, Edge gave theirs to Dishonored. They also gave their GotY to both Mario Galaxy games in years where most critics were giving their awards to Bioshock and RDR.

Edge didn't give either of those games their GotY. In 2013 they gave it to GTAV and in 2014 they gave it to Bayonetta 2. In 2012 when most critics gave their GotY to The Walking Dead, Edge gave theirs to Dishonored. They also gave their GotY to both Mario Galaxy games in years where most critics were giving their awards to Bioshock and RDR.

I'm not the biggest fan of GTA V, but other than that it show some fine taste.

Alo0oy

Banned
If people actually played the game the proper way, then there's no way people would saying this. ND should have had a recommended setting for a experienced gamer wanting the best experience for first time playing (Hard mode, listening mode off)

Yeah... maybe if you're playing TLoU on normal. TLoU destroys Uncharted 2 on the gameplay front. It's a much more strategic and hectic game. The kills are way more satisfying and there is much more replay value instead of just moving around the map and trying to get headshots all game like you would in Uncharted 2.

If you were talking about story... then HELL no, Uncharted 2 is not better.

The Last of Us is a great game, just not as good as UC2. I've had that argument before for pages upon pages, so I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole again.

reKon

Banned
The Last of Us is a great game, just not as good as UC2. I've had that argument before for pages upon pages, so I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole again.

At least give me your main points (briefly) on why you see Uncharted 2 as the better game (I love both games btw). Just curious..

Mr. Sam

you kidding, right?
Her Story has better gameplay mechanics than the Witcher?
oh wow

Full disclosure: I've played neither The Witcher III nor Her Story, but my understanding is you roleplay as a detective and sift through a video database in order to understand a crime, which is arguably one hell of an immersive mechanic and more enjoyable than, say, lots of janky combat.

Alo0oy

Banned
At least give me your main points (briefly) on why you see Uncharted 2 as the better game (I love both games btw). Just curious..

It's the more fluid movement and vertical level design.

EDIT: And hipfire, Tomb Raider can go to hell for excluding that, TLOU at least had a good melee system.

Damn, Edge is right up my alley in that regard.

It's the more fluid movement and vertical level design.

EDIT: And hipfire, Tomb Raider can go to hell for excluding that, TLOU at least had a good melee system.
All the reasons you have given would completely turn TLoU into an Uncharted clone.

Fluid movement would destroy the pacing of TLoU. The movement was given heft so that the play would think before he moved. Hip fire again was again a gameplay decision so as to not turn the gunfights into the protagonist into a one man army.

Vertical gameplay would require the player to move like Drake/AC protag/Lara which would never fit in TLoU again for the same reasons. I'm forgetting the interview but Druckmann said all of this was for deliberate pacing in the SP campaign.

Anyway, to each is his own. You prefer UC 2 > TLoU and I the opposite haha...

I-hate-u

The game is about to launch in a month and there is still a lot of information missing in regards to online lobbies, modes, and the fabeled story mode Capcom is teasing. Ono's media tour started already, so I hope they actually tell us what's in the game we are buying soon.

SephLuis

Does anyone know if the Yakuza 0 preview is from the japanese version or from an english build ?

If I am not mistaken, EDGE does reviews for some Japan-only games.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The game is about to launch in a month and there is still a lot of information missing in regards to online lobbies, modes, and the fabeled story mode Capcom is teasing. Ono's media tour started already, so I hope they actually tell us what's in the game we are buying soon.

i have no faith in the story mode but the online infrastructure better be super fleshed out

Top Bottom