• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #297 - Destiny Rise of Iron, Kojima, scores (including Deus Ex: Mankind Divided)

Featured
Destiny: Rise of Iron [Nathan Brown]
An audience with Hideo Kojima [Simon Parkin]
Block Party, how TT Games has assembled videogaming's most diverse cast out of Lego [Simon Parkin]
The Making of Call of Duty [Edward Smith]
Studio profile: Spiral House [Chris Schilling]
Time Extend: DriveClub [Ben Maxwell]

Previewed
Below
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Sniper Elite 4
Battlefield 1
God of War
Future Unfolding
The Elder Scrolls: Legends

Reviewed
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [9] / PC, PS4, Xbox One includes post script with Mary DeMarle
Abzû [8] / PC, PS4 includes post script with Matt Nava
I am Setsuna [7] / PC, PS4
Quadrilateral Cowboy [8] / PC
Headlander [7] / PC, PS4
Bound [8] / PS4
Song of the Deep [4] / PC, PS4, Xbox One
Overcooked [6] / PC, PS4, Xbox One
The Assembly [5] / PC
shout out to pronk420 for posting the scores

subscription info / scores archive

#298 on sale September 15. Teaser and timing looks like it could be PlayStation Neo.

DieH@rd

Banned
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [9] / PC, PS4, Xbox One - shout out to pronk420

post-11921-Aww-Yiss-Owl-gif-PzXa.gif

mclem

I have my postcards from Edge #200 knocking around somewhere (I went for the Head over Heels cover for my actual magazine). Wonder what they'll do for #300.

I feel like at this point Hideo should just go underground and reemerge in 2 years time when he has something to show. Getting wheeled out on stage was a bit bizarre at E3.

NEO0MJ

I feel like at this point Hideo should just go underground and reemerge in 2 years time when he has something to show. Getting wheeled out on stage was a bit bizarre at E3.

Yeah, everything seems too soon right now. Hiding and then coming out with a huge media blowout seems the way to go.

pronk420

Reviewed
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [9] / PC, PS4, Xbox One
Abzû [8] / PC, PS4
I am Sestina [7] / PC, PS4
Quadrilateral Cowboy [8] / PC
Headlander [7] / PC, PS4
Bound [8] / PS4
Song of the Deep [4] / PC, PS4, Xbox One
Overcooked [6] / PC, PS4, Xbox One
The Assembly [5] / PC

Incidentally it says Deus Ex was tested on PC. Spoilered because I remember these used to be spoiler tagged for some reason that I never understood?

timberger

Sounds like passing on Song of the Deep was a good idea.

Yeah, announcing your new game and premiering the trailer on stage at E3 is as bizarre as it gets in this business.

CHC

Deus Ex score has got me flying high here. That's great, really looking forward to the game at this point despite some of its marketing fumbles and cringe-inducers.

how exigent is edge with their reviews? i hope that score for deus ex actually has some weight.

They're on the stricter side. For some perspective, series-wise, they also gave Human Revolution a 9. So if that's in line with your feelings about the game, it'll probably be a wise purchase.

mclem

how exigent is edge with their reviews? i hope that score for deus ex actually has some weight.

They generally mark more harshly than most, with occasionally signs of perhaps being a little more lenient towards British developers.

An Edge 9 is a very good 9.

Phamit

Sounds like passing on Song of the Deep was a good idea.

Yeah, announcing your new game and premiering the trailer on stage at E3 is as bizarre as it gets in this business.

Yes, when the game didn't even had a game enginee and even the creator didn't really know what the game should be, it is bizarre

Sextina would have been a better typo.
The Mrs just beat Bound last night. Game is crazy cool. Reminds me of Ico, I want to go and play it myself now.
Fixed thanks
I remember the Deus Ex HR review well and I think it captured the best part of the game. Choreographing your very own action sequence, reloading again and again until you get it just right.
Incidentally it says Deus Ex was tested on PC. Spoilered because I remember these used to be spoiler tagged for some reason that I never understood?
I think some people like to read the review first without the score clouding it but a lot of people don't like it 'cause they're on a phone or whatever.

Kojima interview is about him and the past year. No talk of Metal Gear or Death Stranding. Aside from it being thematically about how roads and other ways people are connected.

He finds starting a company liberating despite having to handle some admin stuff. He feels Bad Robot is an inspiration for his studio, while he wants the studio small he is drawn to block buster games. Remarking that if he had to work on smaller games for his career he would have left for film. No long term plan beyond one game for Kojima Productions, just seeing how it goes.

One interesting take away is that some staff did not want to be photographed, for fear their previous employers would find out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
7 seems like a fair score for Setsuna and right in line with what I'd give it. What did they say about the game in specific?

FirewalkR

I like how people seem to finally realize how hard it is to get a 9 from EDGE. One or two years ago everyone would be complaining and disappointed. :D

Great scores for Deus Ex (9), Bound (8) and Abzu (8) - going to buy all of them for sure.
'I am setsuna' is a bit overpriced. I suspect I'm going to be waiting a long time for a deep discount on that one.

Aces&Eights

So stoked for Deus Ex and in playing it hearing the death rattle of the summer drought. It's going to be a fantastic fall and winter.

is this a running gag I don't get or something? I have been asked twice now. (298 is the next issue)
7 seems like a fair score for Setsuna and right in line with what I'd give it. What did they say about the game in specific?
"Yet if it isn't as memorable as the games to which it owes its existence, it shares some of their best parts: it has a distinctive setting, a likeable cast and yes, some good ideas of its own"

they go on to praise its length, the way towns are distinct despite being mostly covered in snow and attention to detail with weapons and the talisman system. criticizing the recycled NPCs, interiors and dungeons.

Sounds like the easy challenge could be fixed with a mod on PC, and that it doesn't encourage experimentation much once you have a winning combination of skills.

Nzyme32

Expecting more 9's for Deus Ex.
Also hoping for Bound to be on PS+ someday.
Thanks for the publication ,

IGN German have given Deus Ex an 8 out of 10:

+ Much freedom
+ Improved gameplay mechanics
+ Exciting side quests
+ Breach mode

- Disappointing main story

<google translation>FINAL THOUGHTS

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided the name says it all. Because it is the fans column and let me also back with two opinions. In continuation of the successful history of Human Revolution is part of four a huge disappointment. It starts very well, but degenerates into a very inconsequential story in which the abrupt end is only symbolic of all gave away chances. On the other hand Mankind Divided shines with an improved in all aspects of gameplay. Sneaking is still one joy and the shooter mechanics was perfect upgraded. Along with the large level makes Deus Ex 4 just plain fun and is complemented by the Breach mode to an entertaining component. Whether ye Deus Ex: should buy Mankind Divided, is located on one question: What do you expect? If you want an exciting conspiracy story with great final, part four is not necessarily something for you. If you like the pure gameplay and freedom of choice in proceedings, then you can safely access.

Top Bottom