• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
yeah, no zelda vs horizon crap in this thread either please. It's just as annoying here as it was in the Horizon review thread. So just don't.

The only fight I am doing over those 2 great games is that I am going to play Zelda first in order tof review it

Lol

Xun

Good God the conclusion of EDGEs review:

" The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place".
homepage_large.dca18d06.jpg

LaneDS

I'm getting Xenoblade vibes, in that BotW might end up being one of those games that are just a magical experience from start to finish. I remember exploring Colony 9 to that amazing theme, finding out you can go anywhere and encountering all sorts of weird and high level monsters. So much time spent fucking around and soaking in the magic. And that's just the starting area. Then you arrive at Gaur Plains and the game blows your socks off all over again, and you meet a few great characters. And then you get to Eryth Sea and later on Frontier Village and you can't help but marvel at the craft of game making. These people are artists.
Sometimes a game grabs you and doesn't let go. And sometimes a game grabs you and you don't want it to let go, ever. You wanna stay nestled in the hand.

What an experience that game was. If this can evoke a little of that, yeah, man it'll be something.

I feel like Nintendo hasn't really hit it out of the park since the Galaxy games and the first Xenoblade. Sure, they've made some fantastic games in the years since but nothing that didn't feel a bit derivative of a previous entry (like Super Mario 3D World is spectacular, but following in the vein of the Galaxy games). I think Breath of the Wild is going to really be something else, and I'm super pumped.

Luigiv

Any word on how big the map is? I remember watching a youtube video that was speculating on the overall map size based on the previews, etc.

Also, has the full world map been leaked yet?

It takes about 29 minutes to jog from the southern most point on the map to the northern most point, in the straightest line possible. By comparison, Twilight Princess took the same vlogger 12 minutes (also keep in mind N-S is TP's longest axis whilst E-W is actually a little longer in BotW).

Here's the vid anyway (spoiler warning): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRu3lwuEVY

In terms of actual distances, estimates are still all we've got, though I think the guy who estimated the grid squares represent 25m-100m-400m at each zoom level of the map (closest to furthest) was probably spot on (it just fits too neatly and his methods were solid).

phanphare

Banned
Well then. Hopefully this is a legit 10 and not a "give it a 10 because it's Zelda" 10

I'm sure it is tho. It looks too incredible and hands on impressions have said as much. Can't wait to play this when I get a Switch later this year

I believe this is the third Zelda to get a 10, the other two were OoT and SS so it's definitely not a Zelda thing

Edge liked Aloy calling her an enchanting protagonist, the world calling it beguiling, "deep, grin inducing combat" and the narrative claiming it steers clear of rote sci-fi. While criticising voice acting on side quests, the tone of dialogue in places and some sloggish boss battles towards the end.

"Guerilla's vision for an open world action RPG never imposes on your time or runs out of fresh ideas. Horizon emerges as a graceful, intoxicating and often surprising adventure"

Loudninja

Edge liked Aloy calling her an enchanting protagonist, the world calling it beguiling, "grin inducing combat" and the narrative claiming it steers clear of rote sci-fi. While criticising voice acting on side quests, the tone of dialogue in places and some sloggish boss battles towards the end.

"Guerilla's vision for an open world action RPG never imposes on your time or runs out of fresh ideas. Horizon emerges as a graceful, intoxicating and often surprising adventure"
Thanks.

Edge liked Aloy calling her an enchanting protagonist, the world calling it beguiling, "grin inducing combat" and the narrative claiming it steers clear of rote sci-fi. While criticising voice acting on side quests, the tone of dialogue in places and some sloggish boss battles towards the end.

Praise for Aloy is music to my ears. So glad that GG has seemingly managed to really make the story and characters work.

Edge liked Aloy calling her an enchanting protagonist, the world calling it beguiling, "deep, grin inducing combat" and the narrative claiming it steers clear of rote sci-fi. While criticising voice acting on side quests, the tone of dialogue in places and some sloggish boss battles towards the end.

Thanks for this.

Cant wait.

Praise for Aloy is music to my ears. So glad that GG has seemingly managed to really make the story and characters work.
Seems like there is a lot to like about each new character in this game. However human on human combat lacks the dynamism of fighting robots. Fortunately opportunities arise to turn robots on human enemies or visa versa.

Ridley327

For those who read the scans, what are the Wii U comparisons if any?

From what's been written up thus far, it sounds like the framerate on the Wii U version tanks especially hard during the bad weather segments, but it sounds like it's mostly smooth outside of them.

Lasty95

Sounds great.

Clearly gonna need to buy this month's EDGE.

SenkiDala

I might get a Switch just for this... but not now, maybe in July or around that. A 10 from Edge it's still great, it might indicate how the rest of reviews are going to go.

But Edge easily give 10 to Zelda games...

I mean I understand you can love Skyward Sword, but 10 to this one... It's really too much.

phanphare

Banned

I mean I understand you can love Skyward Sword, but 10 to this one... It's really too much.

name the other zelda games that edge gave a 10/10 to

you can certainly disagree with a single review that they have but your first claim is bollocks

Loudninja

Seems like there is a lot to like about each new character in this game. However human on human combat lacks the dynamism of fighting robots. Fortunately opportunities arise to turn robots on human enemies or visa versa.
Yeah every review said how basic the human combat is compare to the machines.

Zedark

That's some great praise, looking forward to playing it this wednesday!

Kindekuma

Banned

Is it that hard to accept that the game could be, you know, good? EDGE's 10/10 list of games is something I can agree with, so I trust their judgement and call on this one.

silva1991

Nice. Loved Aloy since the very first gameplay video from 2015 and never mind the chatter lol.

Conclusion of the Horizon Zero Dawn review :

"Horizon: Zero Dawn is an enormous, ambitious curveball from the studio behind the promising but perennially flawed Killzone series. In Aloy, the game introduces an enchanting protagonist and sets her on a remarkable adventure that steers clear of rote sci-fi. It takes place in one of the most beguiling game worlds in recent memory, and the whole thing is paced with the kind of deep, grin-inducing combat befitting a dedicated brawler. While the dialogue doesn't always strike the right tone, and some ill-judged boss battles later on can feel more like a slog than pleasure, Guerrillas vision for an open world RPG never imposes on your time or runs out of fresh ideas. Horizon emerges as a graceful, intoxicating and often surprising adventure"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Conclusion of the Horizon Zero Dawn review :

"Horizon: Zero Dawn is an enormous, ambitious curveball from the studio behind the promising but perennially flawed Killzone series. In Aloy, the game introduces an enchanting protagonist and sets her on a remarkable adventure that steers clear of rote sci-fi. It takes place in one of the most beguiling game worlds in recent memory, and the whole thing is paced with the kind of deep, grin-inducing combat befitting a dedicated brawler. While the dialogue doesn't always strike the right tone, and some ill-judged boss battles later on can feel more like a slog than pleasure, Guerrillas vision for an open world RPG never imposes on your time or runs out of fresh ideas. Horizon emerges as a graceful, intoxicating and often surprising adventure"

Great time to be a gamer!

Hope Mass Effect turns out great as well.

Man people really spout garbage with no facts. As other posters have pointed out, this is only the third zelda game to receive a ten from the publication

But please continue with your alternative facts and hyperbole.

Also I like how to seem to be dismissing a score of a game youve never played when the consensus this far indicates that this is an extremely well realized and polished game.

phanphare

Banned
Why do so many people like to start shit on this board? Jesus.

This is coming from a person who intends to use his switch also exclusively in handheld mode.

I mean, he's right. this is pretty much the first time we've been able to play a game like this on a handheld. it's kind of crazy to think about. the next big console style 3D Zelda game, playable on handheld at launch. imagine going back in time to when OoT released and being able to take it off your tv with you wherever you went. I would have shit myself.

balgajo

Gameplay wise Skyward Sword is 10/10 imo. A lot of super cool mechanics and the way they handled motion controls was flawless. But it wasn't a 10/10 Zelda.

I mean, he's right. this is pretty much the first time we've been able to play a game like this on a handheld. it's kind of crazy to think about. the next big console style 3D Zelda game, playable on handheld at launch. imagine going back in time to when OoT released and being able to take it off your tv with you wherever you went. I would have shit myself.

Oh im not disagreeing with any of this. But framing posts the way he did just starts up the is switch a handheld or console nonsense all over again which detracts from the point of this thread.

Top Bottom