• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

flattie

Is this issue in the shops yet? An Edge 10 seals the deal for me.

Edit: 2nd March street date, for the non-subscribers.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So what did Edge have to say about it? Numbers are fine and all, but I was expecting some more insight from this thread.

T1f66RK.png

wtf. Lol. Haha...this made my day. The combo with 'drinks all around' does it :D

noshten

Tropical Freeze was robbed. That's a 10/10 game, while Bayonetta 2 is an 8/10.

It's sad so few people actually ended up playing TF and Bayo 2. Two of 2014's best games and so few people actually ended up playing them. Switch ports would be awesome I'd rebuy in an instant, always enjoyed playing Bayo on the gamepad.

Gurish

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [10]
Horizon Zero Dawn [9]
Nioh [9]

Q1 2017 is insane. So many amazing games.

edit: as bonus, from previous months:

Resident Evil VII [9]
The Last Guardian [9]
Yakuza 0 [8]

Damn what a crazy year, and we got ME and Persona soon, when was the last time we had such a period in gaming? certainly nothing I can recall from the 360/PS3 gen.

It's sad so few people actually ended up playing TF and Bayo 2. Two of 2014's best games and so few people actually ended up playing them. Switch ports would be awesome I'd rebuy in an instant, always enjoyed playing Bayo on the gamepad.

DKCTF is a national fucking treasure. Just like Skyward Sword.

Asd202

God damn what a time to be a gamer. Switch will come out with probably one of the most acclaimed game all year, PS4 has tons of amazing games already out and coming out in the next 6 weeks, Xbox got some multiplatform games.

Portable versions of those games would be an absolute treat. I'd be so insanely down for that, put down my money in a heartbeat.

KrawlMan

I owned tropical freeze and didn't play it more than an hour. Compare that to my trying to 100% DKCR for Wii.

Wasn't a bad game; it just felt a bit too familiar, and I was already burned out.

kromeo

I'm not going to lie, that Skyward Sword review really taints my brief excitement about the 10, sins that was a 7/10 at best game for me, but flip it's getting hard to not get hyped about BotW!

I just really hope they don't phone in the story and characters. Zelda is usually better than the dreck most Nintendo games pass off as story, but it's still usually barely there and more functional than engaging.

It's so frustrating trying to both avoid spoilers and get a handle on whether the writing is good enough with this game. Gameplay mechanics are obviously going to be top notch, but for me, that's only half the equation, while there's plenty out there that will give a game a perfect score just for the former inspite of the later being utter toss, especially when it comes to Nintendo games.

Without being able to really read the review, even if I had them magazine, this singular perfect score is just teasing me with the possibility of both joy and disappointment.

The embargo ending, and both a decent sample size of scores and spoiler free summaries of pluses and minuses really can't come soon enough basically.

The game's going to get 9+ from everyone, I'm more interested in what they have to say about the open world and dungeons

Fredrik

I don't understand this train of thought. A review isn't supposed to be a result of your gut feeling after seeing a portion of the game. It should be based on as many hours of playtime as possible. Imo all reviews should also include information for the viewers telling them if the reviewer has finished the game and how many hours he's spent with it. That way you can fully trust their professionalism.

(I'm not saying that this is the case here, just responding to the post)
I've played No Man's Sky for nearly 140 hours, I haven't "completed" the game though. Is it still too early for me to rate it? Maybe I'll hate it after 200 hours?

Nah, you can definitely score a game before completion, I bet many here rate their games and even have them on GOTY lists without completing them, and I think it's perfectly fine. Like I said, you just know early on when it's 10/10 good, you know it's gonna keep on getting better and better when the devs has just poured love into every little detail, I've been gaming for 35ish years and I don't think I've ever played an awesome game that turned sour by the end.

Gurish

Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

Amazing games besides GTAIV, it doesn't belong there at all :/

Fredrik

God damn what a time to be a gamer. Switch will come out with probably one of the most acclaimed game all year, PS4 has tons of amazing games already out and coming out in the next 6 weeks, Xbox got some multiplatform games.
lol at that stealth Xbox burn XD

Litri

It's not that the EDGE review was going to change my mind but at least confirms that this game will be incredible.

I mean, back before I realized its sublime nature, I do remember docking Resident Evil 4 on gamecube a few points (from a 10 to 9.7) because of its imperfect ending boss / section. But over the years Resident Evil 4 has proven it was WAY ahead of its time, earning its 10. So I can see how some people would think youd have to finish a game before its final rating was determined, but sometimes a game has to sit for some time historically even after that. Regardless, someone said that Edge finished BOTW before scoring it so the point appears moot.

kami_sama

Amazing games besides GTAIV, it doesn't belong there at all :/

GTAIV is a case where public opinion has changed a lot. It got GREAT scores (98 meta for the ps3 version), but now it's considered a mediocre game. It's like a reverse rose-tinted glasses.

So what did Edge have to say about it? Numbers are fine and all, but I was expecting some more insight from this thread.
All right I'll read it.

I get the impression it is incredibly dense, you'll roam around and get distracted by dozens of different things "an absolute, and unremitting pleasure to get lost in". There's over 100 shrines and they are multi purpose. The world feels well realised despite game like speed potions.

The main quest set up sounds quite fun. Four beasts must be exorcised, with a couple sub missions a final dungeon and a boss fight for each. I imagine that each beasts curse will change the lands each one resides in so that's quite an interesting prospect. I wonder if you can return to new areas once the curse has been lifted and get some new secrets? That's just speculation on my part. They say if you focus on just the main quest you're looking at about 20 hours but I think the real draw is the open world stuff.

In terms of introduction you'll have all the tools you need after playing 4 shrines (opening hour). Defeating beasts will net you RPG like stat boosts and a new power with a big cool down that breaks the game in ways they wouldn't spoil.

Frame rate is a little uneven on the Wii U version, dropping to teens in very busy sequences like heavy weather effects. Rarely when it matters. Nuts and bolts combat is a little unpredictable at times but that encourages you to the many other tools and powers at your disposal.

Really sounds like my cup of tea, especially with the way they are doling out equipment that breaks and most abilities up front. If you're struggling just turn around and go do something else. Sounds like a real treat.

IV also didn't work at all on PC at first. I was so disappointed and stopped buying games at launch because of that.

And the game itself took itself way too seriously. Never liked it.

But I also think that V is not a vry good game, so...

All right I'll read it.

I get the impression it is incredibly dense, you'll roam around and get distracted by dozens of different things "an absolute, and unremitting pleasure to get lost in". There's over 100 shrines and they are multi purpose. The world feels well realised despite game like speed potions.

The main quest set up sounds quite fun. Four beasts must be exorcised, with a couple sub missions a final dungeon and a boss fight for each four. I imagine that each beasts curse will change the lands each one resides in so that's quite an interesting prospect. I wonder if you can return to new areas once the curse has been lifted and get some new secrets? That's just speculation on my part. They say if you focus on just the main quest you're looking at about 20 hours but I think the real draw is the open world stuff.

In terms of introduction you'll have all the tools you need after playing 4 shrines (opening hour). Defeating beasts will net you RPG like stat boosts and a new power with a big cool down that breaks the game in ways they wouldn't spoil.

Frame rate is a little uneven on the Wii U version, dropping to teens in very busy sequences like heavy weather effects. Rarely when it matters. Nuts and bolts combat is a little unpredictable at times but that encourages you to the many other tools and powers at your disposal.

Really sounds like my cup of tea, especially with the way they are doling out equipment that breaks and most abilities up front. If you're struggling just turn around and go do something else. Sounds like a real treat.

Drops into the teens? Shit. Wonder how those conditions fare on the Switch while docked.

All right I'll read it.

The main quest set up sounds quite fun. Four beasts must be exorcised, with a couple sub missions a final dungeon and a boss fight for each. I imagine that each beasts curse will change the lands each one resides in so that's quite an interesting prospect. I wonder if you can return to new areas once the curse has been lifted and get some new secrets? That's just speculation on my part. They say if you focus on just the main quest you're looking at about 20 hours but I think the real draw is the open world stuff.

Whoa, so the reviewer played both versions? Anything else said about the differences between the two?

Mafro

GTA IV is fine, just look at the jump from III to IV.
It was amazing for it's time.

It just didn't age that well.
Game had a lot of big problems at the time. No mid-mission checkpoints. Sluggish, laggy controls. Boring story. Average combat to name a few. Game was hugely overrated by people caught up in the hype at the time.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm not going to lie, that Skyward Sword review really taints my brief excitement about the 10, sins that was a 7/10 at best game for me, but flip it's getting hard to not get hyped about BotW!
Yeah, same here. But as a fan of Zelda despite not liking most 3D Zelda games I'm hoping this is a 10 that I can enjoy as a 10. :p

-Horizon-

Ahh, hearing about the Wii U's frame rate kind of sucks :/
Wonder if they can put out a patch later to try to not make it drop that low.

budpikmin

All right I'll read it.

Well, finally we have our answer

Ahh, hearing about the Wii U's frame rate kind of sucks :/
Wonder if they can put out a patch later to try to not make it drop that low.
I mean, if youre getting the wii u version based on their feedback the frame rate drops dont even matter so i wouldnt be super worried.

I can understand the scores for GTA IV and Skyward Sword, even if the public opinion changed around it afterwards. What is important to me is that, contextually, knowing the overall reception that GTA IV and SS got after release, giving it a perfect score for GTA V and BOTW aren't in a vacuum of these games, so it's exciting to me.

kc44135

All right I'll read it.

Wow, thanks for this. I haven't been able to find any recent impressions of the Wii U version. Did they only play that version, or were they able to say how it compares to BOTW on Switch?

Top Bottom