• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Good score for Zelda, which was pretty expected after the unanimous praising it got in the previews. I'm curious to read the review itself.

The issue is not yet available digitally as far as I see, right?

Mr. Sam

In a different feature, problems with dexterity with the joycons while playing Zelda are also mentioned (though also dismissed as a minor issue).

I anticipate the scope of the dungeons may be the divisive point in this game. If they're going for quantity over quality. The Edge review doesn't speak to that.. but it does make it sound like Divine Beast dungeons aren't much bigger than the bite sized shrines when compared to the sprawling dungeons of lets say Ocarina of Time style dungeons.

I anticipate the scope of the dungeons may be the divisive point in this game. If they're going for quantity over quality. The Edge review doesn't speak to that.. but it does make it sound like Divine Beast dungeons aren't much bigger than the bite sized shrines when compared to the sprawling dungeons of lets say Ocarina of Time style dungeons.

Game Informer made it sound like
they're bigger than shrines, but smaller than a traditional Zelda dungeon.

Gurish

Game had a lot of big problems at the time. No mid-mission checkpoints. Sluggish, laggy controls. Boring story. Average combat to name a few. Game was hugely overrated by people caught up in the hype at the time.

And lots of REALLY boring missions got to be the top offender, I couldn't hold for more than a few hours.

skyward sword and LittleBigPlanet? really?

LBP was quite ground breaking and innovative at that time so I can see where they were coming from, I don't know about SS though, but unlike other titles on that list GTAIV really stood up to me, the others are at least ranging from great to amazing, GTAIV wasn't just a little disappointing, it was bad straight up.

Withnail

GTAIV is a case where public opinion has changed a lot. It got GREAT scores (98 meta for the ps3 version), but now it's considered a mediocre game. It's like a reverse rose-tinted glasses.

I think the poor opinion of the GTAIV on message boards was there from day one actually. If I remember correctly it led to some fierce criticism of game reviewers who were seen to have bought into the hype.

Link isn't a girl but you can dress him up in a good variety of ways.
I'm interested how the plot unfolds. Seems like they got everything else right. No more boss fights that you're forced to do three times!
I have no idea how much is known because I haven't followed preview coverage at all.
Defeat 4 divine beasts in 4 areas (2 sub missions, 1 dungeon, 1 boss fight each) then go to Hyrule castle and defeat Calamity Ganon. Presumably there is some sort of final dungeon, final boss format there also.
Game Informer made it sound like
they're bigger than shrines, but smaller than a traditional Zelda dungeon.
Spot on. And if there's only 4 of them that's a little disappointing. But sometimes you have to make a change. It sounds like this, alongside the 3DS game has been successful.

Chao

I think the poor opinion of the GTAIV on message boards was there from day one actually. If I remember correctly it led to some fierce criticism of game reviewers who were seen to have bought into the hype.

"Oscar worthy" were the words

The review conditions were heavily controlled if I remember correctly. Hotel room, 2 days of playtime, a bunch of publisher swag etc.

Really changed the landscape after that with lot's of sites disclosing that type of stuff these days.

Link isn't a girl but you can dress him up in a good variety of ways.

I have no idea how much is known because I haven't followed preview coverage at all.
Defeat 4 divine beasts in 4 areas (2 sub missions, 1 dungeon, 1 boss fight each) then go to Hyrule castle and defeat Calamity Ganon. Presumably there is some sort of final dungeon, final boss format there also.

Spot on. And if there's only 4 of them that's a little disappointing. But sometimes you have to make a change. It sounds like this, alongside the 3DS game has been successful.

Interesting. The dungeons were what most disappointed me about the 3DS title.

Firemind

Not gonna click the spoiler. :p

Just really, really curious how the story pans out. Hope it matches some of the Ghibli mature storytelling vibes I'm getting.

marmoka

Banned
10???

Deal with it haters!!

380853_jemb0y_the-legend-of-zelda-harem-of-time.jpg

Mistle

yeah i think i might fall a bit into the camp that longs for proper dungeons. the game looks complete quality obviously, but i've never really liked open world games, so I'm just running off faith in Nintendo to finally make one that I like.

kc44135

I enjoy it, one of my favourite Zeldas

Your not alone. I loved it as well. Controls weren't anywhere near as clumsy as people make them out to be, and the game was just epic, overall. Also, SS has my favorite story/cutscenes in a Zelda game.

UV-6

Can't believe it's only February/March and we've already had a few GOTY contenders. What a year for gamers!

And that's what I was concerned about regarding the dungeons. I get the feeling once the honeymoon phase is over with this game, people will look back and criticise the lack of traditioal dungeons because at the end of the day, they are one of the core components of a Zelda game. At least for me anyway. *sighs*

And that's what I was concerned about regarding the dungeons. I get the feeling once the honeymoon phase is over with this game, people will look back and criticise the lack of traditioal dungeons because at the end of the day, they are one of the core components of a Zelda game. At least for me anyway. *sighs*
"wait for the DLC dungeon"

They're definitely a core component of modern 3D Zelda games, but they were much more bite-sized in the 2D games, which I loved. I welcome this change.

kromeo

Considering the amount of love Wind Waker gets, I don't think they're actually that important to a lot of people

Luckily the overworld in this game looks far more interesting than WW

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Slightly concerning that they're allowed to post a review score early and it's a 10.

I'm sure it's great tho.
Most publishers allow them to do that. Part of there monthly magazine structure is that they often release reviews extremely late in comparison to most other companies due to timing. Occassionally they'll release a revew early because of said timing. They're hardly a lenient reviewer (actually one of the harshest).

Indelible

Can't believe it is less then a week until BOTW and Switch come out, haven't been this excited for a launch since the Dreamcast.

While Edge reviews are revered I always feel they are not the focus of the magazine (or perhaps the issues I've read happen to be ones where the reviews section was ~5% of the pages) so it's kind of like a local newspapers film reviews only not as amateur (they're part of it but not the main reason you're looking at it).

Also the text is pretty key to understand why a game got the score it did especially when looking at past 10s because some like Rock band 3 and Littlebig planet come off as unconventional picks much like the Nintendogs 40/40 Famitsu score (which made one Admin go a little crazy)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
If Horizon was on the Switch, would it have got a 10?

The old Edge bias still exists (people have been saying it since issue one, I am not trolling, my tongue is FIRMLY in my cheek)

Coffinhal

So 10 pages discussing a "10" and only one or two people read what they had to say in it.

I also wonder if they had the game before other media, with both Switch and Wii U versions ? If yes why the difference ? Did they have the time to review the game properly ?

10???

Deal with it haters!!

Please delete that sexist and terribly drawn fanart. Sexual suggestion, nudity only of women, exaggerated curves, the only male in a central and domination position, one nude woman in a bottle in his hands... That's the worst, I hope a mod can deal with this, gaf isn't hentai reddit, but when you only have men posting...

Mandelbo

So much for the issues happening just in US.

I think that might be referring more to the ergonomics of the joycon grip (like how the sticks aren't horizontally offset from the buttons, making them harder to use than the pro controller,) rather than the disconnection problems.

Soph

Even though my hype totally deflated for Horizon due to Eurogamer and Destructoid giving it mediocre praise, this... this changes things. A 9 in Edge has to be a great game.

A 10 for BotW, it's a damn shame it's sold out everywhere. I really messed up.

Quonny

Because it has the potential to corrupt. 'We'll give you the game early because you're a magazine, but you can only publish the review early if you give it a [number] or above."

I mean, if this review was a 7 there would be no way in hell Nintendo would let them publish it before everyone else.

Zemm

Are we genuinely scrutinizing the EDGE 10 just cause there's been some questionable games that don't hold up the test of time?

As with all critic opinions, no list of perfect scores is fool-proof over the course of many many years and different editorial opinion, but EDGE is undoubtedly one of the harshest critics and more often than not, their 10 has weight.

A high score from EDGE still means something, and everything that we've seen of Zelda since E3 till now has shown that unless Nintendo is hiding something about the game, the previews and snippets has illustrated a game that is worthy of a 9 or 10.

They only gave Zelda a 10 because of their bias to British games.

Man, if people can't accept an EDGE 10, then the review thread is going to be full of salty people.

Sillverrr

Didn't they give Skyward Sword a 10 as well? And I couldn't get on with the motion controls at all. I so wanted to respect that game, but Nintendo can be stubborn to a fault.

I remain sceptical of Edge's review scores, but traditional control schemes are a step back in the right direction for Nintendo insofar as I'm concerned.

Irminsul

Because it has the potential to corrupt. 'We'll give you the game early because you're a magazine, but you can only publish the review early if you give it a [number] or above."

I mean, if this review was a 7 there would be no way in hell Nintendo would let them publish it before everyone else.
[citation needed]

Top Bottom