• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Firemind

Aren't the purpose of Zelda dungeons that they are disconnected from the world?
what?

forest dungeon is in a forest

fire dungeon is in a mountain

water dungeon is in a lake

if i wanted to solve puzzles without any connection whatsoever, i'd just play puzzle games

So you say. But you can't deny that having an early review for one of the biggest games of the year (and a new console launch game) could see a massive boost in sales.

I'm not saying that it's dirty. I'm saying that it has the potential. And I don't like it. So when a review for a game comes out before everyone else and the reviewer clearly got preferencial treatment (no way they got the game at the same time as everyone else), yeah, it's slightly concerning. Again. Nothing to do with the game. I'm sure it'll score gangbusters.
Is the review published online somewhere? Seems like they understandably worked with Nintendo to get a review published to go along with their print schedule. Not everyone has gotten the issue yet.

if they're disconnected from the world, yes.

Dungeons are still my main concern, but even then, the game looks like its gonna be something truly special.

I can forgive the lack of big and complex dungeons if the story, characters and world building is great and it looks like this is the case here.

However, I do hope there's at least one dungeon that isn't linear and straightforward.

Not if they're all using the same design and aesthetics. The approach here seems to be quantity over quality. To be honest, I don't expect the majority of these shrines to take more than 5 minutes to go through. Sure, there may be the odd shrine here or there that will take slightly longer, but I honestly doubt it would be approaching the length of a traditional dungeon which would be about 1.5-2 hours. Not only that, nothing suggest they will be themed any different to the shrines we've already seen.

The shrines are there to make up the numbers and plot useful points on the map to fill out the huge world. In fact I read an article from Aonouma just recently exclaiming that they could have added more dungeons in the game but decided not to and focused on the shrines instead. You know, I'd be okay with 4-5 dungeons if they were fully fleshed out. I know people bring up Majoras Mask only having 4 dungeons too, and that's right, but some of them were quite complex and not straight forward to go through.

I wouldn't be surprised if two of the dungeons in this game equals 1 dungeon from MM or any other modern 3D Zelda game. After all GI notes the dungeon are shorter than traidtional ones we're used to.

They said the dungeons are shorter then the ones of TP but still complex. So if you are still 1-1.5 hours in a dungeon it sounds fine for me. We still don't know exactly how they look so I think you should wait and see how they turn out in the game.

And I saw a lot of praise for the shrines. Some already finished up to 30 and while they look nearly the same they feel all very different because the puzzles are all completly unique. And even coming to a shrine is a often already a puzzle. So I doubt you will get bored to do them.

I think people would complain more if they would get 10 dungeons but nothing in the world to do. I am happy with the shrines and the dungeons from what I heared so far.

You don't need to see reviews for Breath of the Wild, the footage and trailers for the game are enough to make a conclusion that this Zelda will be an amazing game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Edge scores games on a ten-point scale, from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 10, with five as ostensibly the average rating. For much of the magazine's run, the magazine's review policy stated that the scores broadly correspond to one of the following "sentiments":

1 - disastrous 2 - appalling 3 - severely flawed 4 - disappointing 5 - average 6 - competent 7 - distinguished 8 - excellent 9 - astounding 10 - revolutionary

So the visual design is what defines a Zelda dungeon, not its content? The previews have already stated that the shrines have quite different themes.

It's one part of it. Of course the content of a dungeon is the meat of it but I don't care how many shrines there are in the game if they all looked the same. For me, it would get boring very fast. If the shrines have different themes then that's good. It's what I was hoping to hear. Although it'll never substitue a fully fledged labyrinth dungeon.

That's not the only purpose of the shrines.

Well I haven't read much in depth previews to prevent myself from being spoiled but are these shrines related to story progression in anyway? From the little I've read, they provide useful items like a Bow and the like. I really hope I'm wrong regarding these shrines but from what I've seen of them so far, nothing suggest they look any different to one another nor will take longer than 10 minutes to complete.

jariw

what?

forest dungeon is in a forest

fire dungeon is in a mountain

water dungeon is in a lake

if i wanted to solve puzzles without any connection whatsoever, i'd just play puzzle games

How do you know that shrines with sand puzzles aren't placed in the desert? How do you know that the shrines with a water theme aren't placed on an island? The only coverage I've seen of the sand/water shrines has been the shrines themselves, not their location in the overworld.

JonnyKong

I assume it's already in this thread, but if not, here are some more details from the review, obviously be aware of spoilers..

EDGE indicates that the game is very dense
– You’ll roam around and get distracted by dozens of different things “an absolute, and unremitting pleasure to get lost in”
– Over 100 shrines and they are multi purpose
– The world feels well realized despite game like speed potions
– Four beasts must be exorcised, with a couple sub missions a final dungeon and a boss fight for each
– If you focus on just the main quest you’re looking at about 20 hours
– You’ll have all the tools you need after playing 4 shrines (opening hour)
– Defeating beasts will net you RPG like stat boosts and a new power with a big cool down that breaks the game in ways they wouldn’t spoil
– Frame rate is a little uneven on the Wii U version, dropping to teens in very busy sequences like heavy weather effects, rarely when it matters
– Nuts and bolts combat is a little unpredictable at times but that encourages you to the many other tools and powers at your disposal

score01

Phantom hourglass is the one game in the series i would say isn't just a bad Zelda, it's just straight up a bad game

Other than re-using the main dungeon again and again it was an extremely solid and fun game. Didn't realise it was thought of so badly.

TalentAlwaysWins, because that aspect of the game hasn't been discussed at all before yesterday's previews. There are plenty of conventional Zelda staples that are in this game and plenty that are not.

Other than re-using the main dungeon again and again it was an extremely solid and fun game. Didn't realise it was thought of so badly.

Some people didn't like it for the touch controls but I agree with you, outside of the Ocean King Temple the game was very well designed. Touch controls were also great.

It is one of the worst Zelda's but that isn't really a bad thing to say.

Thanks man. Im thinking of subscribing to them. What month receives 2 issues? Also what date range does a new mag arrive each month?
It really depends on the schedule. This month the street dates are March 2nd and March 30th. I think last year they ended up having to bunch up a few issues by the end of the year.

I guess I am the outlier since I love Skyward Sword and GTA IV, and I hate GTAV.

Anyway, congrats to BotW, Horizon and Ni-Oh for getting high scores. I will play them all eventually, but will focus on Zelda first.

omfg. lol that review is amazing

And it's a brilliant and brave game that absolutely deserves that score. That many people can't get over their preconceptions of what a Zelda game should be does not make the views expressed in the review invalid.

Nah. PH was garbage. Couldn't even finish it. That said, couldn't finish spirit tracks either.

RatCupcake

Neo Member
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [10]
Horizon Zero Dawn [9]
Nioh [9]

Q1 2017 is insane. So many amazing games.

edit: as bonus, from previous months:

Resident Evil VII [9]
The Last Guardian [9]
Yakuza 0 [8]

All awesome-looking games! I just wish I had enough time/money to play them all. Loved Resi VII and I think BOTW will be my next purchase :)

Can somebody name me one publication that has given all of their games the same score that they personally would've given it?

Edge gave LBP a 10 and I don't agree with that. So what? Do I disregard all of their reviews now? Do I pretend the same person has been reviewing every single game on Edge? Give me a break.

Firemind

How do you know that shrines with sand puzzles aren't placed in the desert? How do you know that the shrines with a water theme aren't placed on an island? The only coverage I've seen of the sand/water shrines has been the shrines themselves, not their location in the overworld.
i suppose it depends on how rewarding they are

mini dungeons in past zeldas have been hit or miss depending on the content

i prefer mini dungeons because they feel like part of the world (ice cavern, bottom of the well, beneath the well, ancient castle of ikana, ice ring isle, fire mountain, ghost ship etc.)

faridmon

Is the Magazine out in the shops right now?

My sister is crazy hyped for Zelda and wanted to buy her the Magazine because she would love it.

Shiggy

Yeah, after that Edge review score I will not play this game. If it's only as good as Skyward Sword I better not ever bother with this title.

I'm not serious.

Top Bottom